Hunting Fable [Folklore][Supernatural][Friendship][GxB/G]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Ryuushiro
Regular
Completed: Artist for "Maid With Perfection", Artist for "Love and Romance: a study of intimacy", art for "Sleepier & Sleepier", Backgrounds for "Panzer Hearts", Sketch backgrounds for "Caramel Mokaccino DEMO
Projects: "Hunting Fable"
Tumblr: wafflemeido
Deviantart: WaffleMeido

Hunting Fable [Folklore][Supernatural][Friendship][GxB/G]

#1 Post by Ryuushiro »

[Folklore][Supernatural][Friendship][GxB][GxG]

Your eyes open for the first time in the only world you seem to know: the dense forest around a small city called Hollow Falls. You don’t know where you came from, how you got there, neither you remember anything from before. As time passes, you realize that you are not like the humans who live so carelessly in the city. They do not seem to be able to expose visions and illusions onto other people’s minds like you are. You are not one of them, that much is clear. But what are you, then?...

This Visual Novel implements in it’s story many passages and parts of Brazilian mythology and folklore. Mostly known characters and figures from our legends like Saci, Iara, Curupira, etc. The reason is because I was talking to my husband on how hard it is to find references on Brazilian folklore on any games that talk about mythology (I used Shin Megami Tensei as example at the time, but you get the idea). We both agreed it would be nice to see a VN that could recreate those tales in an interesting way with an unique twist, and with that we called an (also brazilian, hah ;u;) friend in common to help us with the coding. This is simply a game made between three friends, trying to bring something into VN’s that we hadn’t seen before. We do not strive for something ‘perfect’, we strive for ‘doing our best and seeing what we can accomplish together’. Please, kindly remember that.
We also want to make clear that brazilian legends and folklore have roots from many other countries. Because Brazil is a melting pot of cultures, many elements of Brazilian mythology are shared by the traditions of other countries. So you will find myths that are told in other places in the world as well ; >

• - Language: English (to be translated to Brazilian Portuguese upon completion)
    - Free to play
    - Romanceable characters
    - Multiple endings
    - ‘Friendship only’ and ‘Romance’ endings
    - In game screen containing information about each character and detailing the legends that inspired them.
    - A story about home, loneliness and acceptance.

Main Character:
Woke up without any memory and not much later realized that she is not a normal human. She lives in a small abandoned house in the forest, away from big crowds.
She has the power to to expose visions and illusions onto other people’s minds, but this power is fairly limited.
She is a bit gloomy and often feels lonely living by herself. Other characters will react and see her differently depending on your choices.

CAILEAN LOWELL:
- Pessimist, Hot headed, Teasing, Cocky bastard, Loner -

Cailean is a hunter that has showed up recently at Hollow Falls. He is easily found in the tavern drinking his nights away, or at the forest hunting for his next meal. Other than being a complete pain in the ass to those around him and having no idea how to respect personal spaces, he seems to have nothing special about him. But one can never fully tell, can they?

- Drinking, Cloudy nights, being alone
- Crowds, clear nights, creatures who are cruel to humans

SAMIR PERERÊ:
- Prankster, Loud, Funny, Cunning, Sarcastic -

Samir has been seen around Hollow Falls talking to Cailean from time to time. The two of them seem to be good friends, even if they mostly just like making fun of each other. He always has his pipe around and seems to love smoking. When asked about his missing left leg, Samir simply smirks and makes up an unbelievable story.

- Tobacco, Bothering people, Making jokes
- Being underestimated, Rivers, Being lectured on his actions

NORATO REZENDE:
- Kind, Captivating, Manipulative, Possessive, Obsessive -

Norato is seemingly sweet and kind to those around him, but you can’t completely trust him at all times. He is usually seen wherever there is a party or celebration going on, but is always gone in a flash whenever someone starts asking too many questions. He has a way with words and it’s easy for him to make people open up to him, but he is closed off about himself.

- Power, Leadership, Getting people to do what he wants
- Humans, Hypocrisy, Canidae

MARIA ?????:
- Paranoic, Twitchy, Hard-working, Revengeful, Dedicated -

Not much is known about the woman who identifies only as ‘Maria’. She is usually seen walking around the woods during the day, barefoot and hugging herself in fear of...something. Mothers specifically tell their kids not to get close to her, but she seems more scared of the townsfolk than they are of her.

- Silence, Peace, Books
- Humans, Nighttime, Fire

IGNÁCIO CURUPIRA:
- Rude, Individualistic, Objective, Protective, Unforgiving -

Iggy, as he calls himself, is never seen on the actual city of Hollow Falls, he has been spotted on the forest surrounding it instead. Not much is known about him, and he doesn’t open up very easily and takes a while to trust people. But once you befriend him, he can become one great ally. If asked about his backwards feet he simply responds rudely and tells you to stop pestering him.

- Nature, Animals, Gifts
- Humans, Destructive behavior, Hunters

IARA ARAGUARINO:
- Egocentric, Smart, Artistic, Not easily fooled, Confident -

Iara does not appear at Hollow Falls very frequently, but she is usually seen at the rivers and falls located in the forest around the city. Those who hear her sing say that her voice is incredible, but compliments will not gain her heart. She is a strong young woman who likes to feel in control of the situation she finds herself in at all times. Iara is usually the voice of reason during tough times.

- Mirrors, Singing, Proving she is right
- Heat, Cat-calling, Lack of respect

The game occurs in a fictional world. ‘Hollow Falls’ is located in a continent called Faset. The year our story occurs is unmentioned, however, Hollow Falls is slightly inspired by the city Porto Alegre on Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil as it looked around the 1890 (XIX century).

BACKGROUND ART SAMPLES:
  • Script: 13%
    Coding: 0%
    GUI : uhhh
    CG : 0%
    Music: Jesus, take the wheel
    Sprites : 90%
    BGs: 3/?? (shhh don't hurry me, I'm getting there)
SCREEN PREVIEW:

TEAM:

Writer: RyuushiroWaffle (with loads of help from friends and family because im really bad at writing)
BGs / Sprites / CGs: RyuushiroWaffle
Music: ---
GUI: ---
Programming: RyuushiroWaffle, KinjiroBacon

This is pretty much my first vn ever, so feedback is GREATLY appreciated! ;-; Feel free to answer the questions bellow or just point out anything else you would like to!
  • 1- What do you think about the concept?
    2- We are not sure about the romance routes yet. Which characters would you like to be romanceable?
    3- Would you prefer more poses for the characters or a bigger amout of CGs to make up for only one pose?
    4- Which character description have you liked the most so far?
    5- Would you play this game?
    6- Any other comments are VERY MUCH appreciated!

I'm very nervous to finally post this, but I hope you all enjoy what you've seen so far! ;u; It would mean the world to me if you could reply to this thread with some feedback! Even a 'I like it'/'Not interesting' helps me out a lot! Go on, I don't bite

I also want to apologize for any grammar mistakes or typos. English is not my first language and I currently have no proof reader - 7 -' But I'll get someone soon! for now I guess I have to ask you to endure the pain of typos

Updates:
03/05/2015 - Background samples were added!~
29/04/2015 - Updated 'About' section with folklore examples. Updated MC profile.
28/04/2015 - Thread was posted! ~
Last edited by Ryuushiro on Sat May 16, 2015 6:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

VISIT MY WEBSITE FOR COMMISSIONS: { HERE }
DeviantartPatreon

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

Re: Hunting Fable [Folklore][Supernatural][Friendship][GxB/

#2 Post by Harliqueen »

1- What do you think about the concept?
Sounds really good! I love anything based on any kind of folklore, so it definitely hooked my interest :)

2- We are not sure about the romance routes yet. Which characters would you like to be romanceable?
Cailean and Samir were the ones that jumped out at me the most, but they all sound good!

3- Would you prefer more poses for the characters or a bigger amout of CGs to make up for only one pose?
Hm, I suppose it depends on how often there are CGs. If you have a CG often, then then one pose probably would probably be all right. But if you have to go a long time between CGs, than maybe more than one pose would be good?

Samir, probably :D

Definitely!

The art looks stunning, and it sounds like a really exciting concept. Can't wait to read more about it!
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

yoshibb
Veteran

#3 Post by yoshibb »

So glad to see this thread is up!

I don't know much about Brazilian folklore so this concept sounds really interesting. I definitely want to learn more about this especially since I'm a big fan of these types of stories and settings.

They all look pretty romanceable and cute lol. I guess if I have to choose, I would go with Cailean. I like his combined character traits the most I think. But I might change my first choice while playing the game.

3- Would you prefer more poses for the characters or a bigger amount of CGs to make up for only one pose?
Well, I always think these things are up to you as the artist. I don't mind one pose at all as long as the expression comes across. But you should do whatever you think is best.

Cailean, but I'm also interested in Iggy as well. I know he wouldn't like it, but those backwards feet are making me curious.

Of course! It looks like it'll be fun!

Keep up the work on it. Your art is gorgeous. I can't wait to see more!

Ryuushiro
Regular
Completed: Artist for "Maid With Perfection", Artist for "Love and Romance: a study of intimacy", art for "Sleepier & Sleepier", Backgrounds for "Panzer Hearts", Sketch backgrounds for "Caramel Mokaccino DEMO

#4 Post by Ryuushiro »

Harliqueen wrote:1- What do you think about the concept?
Sounds really good! I love anything based on any kind of folklore, so it definitely hooked my interest :)

Cailean and Samir were the ones that jumped out at me the most, but they all sound good!

Hm, I suppose it depends on how often there are CGs. If you have a CG often, then then one pose probably would probably be all right. But if you have to go a long time between CGs, than maybe more than one pose would be good?

Samir, probably :D

Definitely!

The art looks stunning, and it sounds like a really exciting concept. Can't wait to read more about it!

Woah thank you so much for your interest! ;0;

I'm thinking about going with often CGs, yes. I've been wanting to train drawing CGs for a while now and this would be a good oportunity~

I'm glad you liked Samir! > u < I'm having a lot of fun writing him so far hehe - u -
And I'm also very thankful for your compliment on the art! I'm still working on it and there are some things that still bother me, but I'm getting there. Slowly.

Thank you again for taking the time to read this WIP! Folklore lovers, unite! o`A´o

yoshibb wrote:So glad to see this thread is up!

I don't know much about Brazilian folklore so this concept sounds really interesting. I definitely want to learn more about this especially since I'm a big fan of these types of stories and settings.

They all look pretty romanceable and cute lol. I guess if I have to choose, I would go with Cailean. I like his combined character traits the most I think. But I might change my first choice while playing the game.

3- Would you prefer more poses for the characters or a bigger amount of CGs to make up for only one pose?
Well, I always think these things are up to you as the artist. I don't mind one pose at all as long as the expression comes across. But you should do whatever you think is best.

Cailean, but I'm also interested in Iggy as well. I know he wouldn't like it, but those backwards feet are making me curious.

Of course! It looks like it'll be fun!

Keep up the work on it. Your art is gorgeous. I can't wait to see more!

Oh, I was excited to see your view on it! ;3; <3

Brazilian folklore is very interesting, I can promise you that! Haha~ When I actually researched more to know other variations to the legends I knew I found many others that I had never even heard of and that I thought they looked really cool~

I'm very tempted to make all 6 characters romanceable but that will require a lot of work @_@ I'm still debating.

Oh, I'm glad to see you are curious about Iggy! ;7; He was inspired in a myth I'm pretty found of.
Thank you very much for your compliments! I'm in the process of still working on my art (then again who is ever not? ;u; ) so I'll be doing my best ~

DeviantartPatreon

plainviewer
Regular

#5 Post by plainviewer »

Ryuushiro wrote:
  • 1- What do you think about the concept?

1: Hard to tell, because I don't know what I, as the player, am actually doing in this story. What am I hunting, animals or supernatural creatures? Do I have any special abilities?

The idea of exploring folklore from a different culture is a good idea. But it would be nice if you could list some examples you'll be using, otherwise it's kind of difficult trying to define what Brazilian folklore will mean for this story.

2 It doesn't sound like Norato or Maria can be decent romance partners. If they are, it doesn't like they'd make it easy, since for both of them, their dislikes are humans, as stated in their descriptions.

Iara sounds like an interesting woman. I'd just wish I could romance her with a BxG approach instead of GxG. Given the progress of the script, I'm guessing the main character isn't too well defined yet. Does that mean you'll consider letting players choose between a boy or a girl?

3 I'd prefer the characters have more ways of expressing themselves, since they're the main attraction for any story, not just the backgrounds.

4 Norato and Maria sound like they have the most to hide, so I found them the most interesting. The one I liked the most, however, would be Iara. Mostly because she has the most personality and seems the easiest to approach in a conversation.

5 I'm undecided, because I don't know the main goal of this game, or any distinctive features yet.

6 As you said, you're not trying to be perfect, but you're very best. My advice is to find the thing you believe will set you apart, and focus on that. Art, character interactions, gameplay, story, or trying to introduce a different culture. Whatever it is, work on making it the best you can.

Looking forward to seeing more updates. Also, since you're still relatively in the early development stage, do you need suggestions or idea bouncers? From experience, I know making up your mind on what to do in creative projects, can sometimes be the hardest part.

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#6 Post by sasquatchii »

Yes!! I finally get to see what the artwork you posted on twitter is being applied to, *so excited* :D

I think a visual novel based off of brazilian folklore sounds really neat! I haven't played an VN's based off brasilian mythology/folklore :) Will you be releasing more about the story later on?

Whichever ones you guys have time for/want to make romance able. This is always a tricky one because the more romanceable characters you have, the more time you have spend writing and tweaking the story!! So I'd leave this one up to you guys.

If I had to choose, crobably more poses/expressions! CGs are nice too but I really notice when a character only has a few expressions and seems to have the emotional complexity of a spoon :(

Hmm, I think I need more information about them! They all seem pretty neat, though.

Of course! It looks like it's going to be a lot of fun :)
ImageImage

Ryuushiro
Regular

#7 Post by Ryuushiro »

plainviewer wrote: 1: Hard to tell, because I don't know what I, as the player, am actually doing in this story. What am I hunting, animals or supernatural creatures? Do I have any special abilities?

The idea of exploring folklore from a different culture is a good idea. But it would be nice if you could list some examples you'll be using, otherwise it's kind of difficult trying to define what Brazilian folklore will mean for this story.

Thank you so much for this feedback, plainviewer! I'll be replying each answer if you don't mind~

Oh, I see what you mean! I was trying to stay away from spoiling the story because a big pet peeve of mine is when synopsis tell the whole plot. There are two 'problems' to be solved in this game. One of them is helping the MC find out where she is from and what is she. You could say she is somehow 'hunting' for clues? haha, but that is kind of abstract. There will be another problem in the story where you will end up hunting something/someone but I don't want to spoil it much for now.
MC's powers are briefly described in the synopsis but I'll write them in her character profile as well to avoid confusion~

I see what you mean about the folklore bit! I will update the post with a few examples, thank you.

plainviewer wrote: 2 It doesn't sound like Norato or Maria can be decent romance partners. If they are, it doesn't like they'd make it easy, since for both of them, their dislikes are humans, as stated in their descriptions.

Iara sounds like an interesting woman. I'd just wish I could romance her with a BxG approach instead of GxG. Given the progress of the script, I'm guessing the main character isn't too well defined yet. Does that mean you'll consider letting players choose between a boy or a girl?

I was toying with the idea of giving Norato a 'yandere-ish' love route (Think of Toma from Amnesia or Alvaro Garay from Wand Of Fortune) but that remains undecided for now. Maria's route would be very difficult since she does not trust people easily. But you shouldn't have to worry about them disliking humans, since as stated in the synopsis, the MC isn't human.

Well, as for Iara, her original legend states that
she is a nymph/siren/mermaid that lures men with her singing and drowns them in the bottom of rivers, but does no harm to woman
so a GxB approach would be interesting to say the least.
There was also a version of the myth where Iara would do no harm to the men she lured, but married them instead.
That would make it a little easier to write.
I considered making a male MC as well, but that would put a lot on my plate. Mostly art-wise. As I am making the art by myself, I'm currently against the idea. I'll keep it on mind in case I see I'll have enough time/energy/knowledge to do so. But for now it's a no, sadly.

plainviewer wrote: 3 I'd prefer the characters have more ways of expressing themselves, since they're the main attraction for any story, not just the backgrounds.

Oh, by CG's I don't mean the backgrounds. I mean the scenes where the characters are shown interacting between themselves, from another perspective and etc. This or this would be an exemple.

plainviewer wrote:4 Norato and Maria sound like they have the most to hide, so I found them the most interesting. The one I liked the most, however, would be Iara. Mostly because she has the most personality and seems the easiest to approach in a conversation.

They indeed do, I'm glad you found that. And yes, Iara is indeed one of the easiest character to approach. Second would be Samir, I think.

plainviewer wrote:5 I'm undecided, because I don't know the main goal of this game, or any distinctive features yet.

I'm honestly torn between explanning more of the plot and risking spoiling too much, so I understand your point! As for distinctive features, I'm not sure I have planned any. I'm not planning anything new or edgy since this is not a commercial project and I'm doing it mostly out of hobby, I guess the only novelty would be implementing Brazilian folklore in it.

plainviewer wrote:6 As you said, you're not trying to be perfect, but you're very best. My advice is to find the thing you believe will set you apart, and focus on that. Art, character interactions, gameplay, story, or trying to introduce a different culture. Whatever it is, work on making it the best you can.

Looking forward to seeing more updates. Also, since you're still relatively in the early development stage, do you need suggestions or idea bouncers? From experience, I know making up your mind on what to do in creative projects, can sometimes be the hardest part.

I'm sure gameplay won't be anything new, mainly because of the programming part. I'm trying to focus on the character interactions and art so far. My main worry is making the story too cliché, so I'm working against that!
I am very open to suggestions and would like idea bouncers ~ ;u; As I said, writing isn't my forte.
Thank you so much again for this very honest and detailed feedback! You gave me a lot to think about, I took your advices and suggestions to the heart and will carefully consider all you said.

sasquatchii wrote:Yes!! I finally get to see what the artwork you posted on twitter is being applied to, *so excited* :D

I think a visual novel based off of brazilian folklore sounds really neat! I haven't played an VN's based off brasilian mythology/folklore :) Will you be releasing more about the story later on?

Whichever ones you guys have time for/want to make romance able. This is always a tricky one because the more romanceable characters you have, the more time you have spend writing and tweaking the story!! So I'd leave this one up to you guys.

If I had to choose, crobably more poses/expressions! CGs are nice too but I really notice when a character only has a few expressions and seems to have the emotional complexity of a spoon :(

Hmm, I think I need more information about them! They all seem pretty neat, though.

Of course! It looks like it's going to be a lot of fun :)

Heyyy, good to see you here! > u <
I'm torn between detailing more of the plot and just leaving it as it is. As I said above, was trying to stay away from spoiling the story because a big pet peeve of mine is when synopsis tell the whole plot. But I'm thinking maybe this little information doesn't catch much of the player's attention.

I really wanted to make all characters romanceable, but my drawing hand cries invisible tears when I consider that.
Don't worry about expressions, there will be a lot of them! I'm mostly wondering about poses/arm positions/ etc

I hope to finish some back grounds and get GUI and music done somehow so that I can release a demo. I think that would make it easier to choose a favorite character- chosing from character profiles only is really hard.
Thank you again for taking the time to read this thread! It makes me so happy that you dropped by and left feedback <3 I'm carefully reading and considering everything you guys are telling me!

DeviantartPatreon

plainviewer
Regular

#8 Post by plainviewer »

@Ryuushiro:

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions, I really appreciate it. It will be interesting to see how this story unfolds.

I can give you some advice on the cliche part. I used to have that same concern. It's easier to focus on, "Does this make sense," rather than, "Has this been done before?" If you really think about it, the main reason most people dislike cliches isn't because it's a familiar concept, but because it tends to be unrealistic and not true to human nature. Like the cliche prince rescuing a princess, who--all by himself--overcomes all these life-threatening odds just to save someone he's never met, in the hopes she might fall in love with him. I've yet to hear of anyone that was like that, lol. That's an example of unrealistic logic.

As for being untrue to human nature, these are commonly called character archetypes. The loner, the prankster, the hothead. Very predictable characters that seem to only feel 1-3 main emotions. Making these characters isn't necessarily bad. The common problem I see with them, is that there's no character development. They never learn any lessons or mature.

The loner stays a recluse at all costs. The prankster continues making jokes at inappropriate times. And the hothead never learns how to relax. Archetypes are good as stepping stones in character development, but not as the final draft for a personality. I hope that made sense and can help you in the future.

If you'd like any suggestions, I'd be happy to help, just let me know.

Thanks again.

wererat42
Regular

#9 Post by wererat42 »

1- Concept sounds great. I like when people use VN format to tell stories about a culture and setting other than Japanese high school
2- Being a fan of yuri, would be nice if at least one of the girls was an option. If they were all options that would be cool too. Maybe have only a handful of CGs for each.
3- Prioritize poses over CGs, especially if you go with more romance routes.
4- Iara is probaby the most interesting female character of the bunch. Maybe also Cailean if I was going for a GxB route.
5- Probably will give it a shot
6- Good luck

Seigetsu
Regular
Deviantart: suien

#10 Post by Seigetsu »

I must say, the art looks really good and the plot is captivating too. I like how it gives off a kind of spooky feel, yet still coming off as a possible friendship/romance setup. I'll be on the lookout for this. As for your questions:

I really like it, and like the person who posted before me, I'm quite interested in VNs that tell stories about foreign folklore. I think it's an interesting way to learn about foreign cultures.

As a GxG fan, I'm particularly interested in Maria and Iara. Though it may prove challenging, I'm especially interested in Maria since she seems to have a very mysterious vibe to her. It'd be very interesting to explore her background bit by bit as the MC slowly gains her trust. As I do not like GxB personally, I have less of an interest in romance routes for the male characters, but of course, I can understand that there would be perhaps a larger audience for those routes. If I must pick, I find Samir to be an interesting character to write about. In comparison, Cailean and Iggy don't seem as interesting to me because...I suppose they seem a little plain? Also, I prefer that the MC is not made gender-ambiguous (as in you can choose to make her male or female). I find that makes the story less...personal, if that's the right word to describe it. If you do end up letting the player choose to play as male or female, I'd prefer separate MCs with different personalities and backgrounds. But just to clarify, I am totally fine, personally, with a female MC. This is just in response to the comment on how some players may want to romance the characters with a male MC.

I'd prefer larger amount of CGs instead of multiple poses. I find just varying the facial expression to be adequate in conveying emotions in the character sprites. Afterall, people usually aren't so expressive about their feelings in real-life anyways. I find an "I don't care" pose with hands flung to the side to be overly dramatic.

Maria's, not only her description, but also the design, with the ragged and dirty clothes and hollow eyes. I'm interested in how she can be so frightened by others, yet be vengeful at the same time. Would she get her revenge? I think that would be interesting to explore.

Yes, of course! I can't wait!

Not much, just that I really hope to see this completed. Do you have a timeline of sorts to keep you on track? Because personally, I find that without a concrete plan and self-set deadlines, I can't get anything done, but that may be just me. Also, I think it'd be best that you start working on one route, then the next, instead of doing everything all at once, because that way, you'd still have a complete game even if you end up losing interest in the development of the game and decide to scrap some routes in the end. It's always better to have a complete game than a game that's too big to handle. Well, who am I to say this when I have not completed any games myself, haha. Anyway, best of luck to you and I'll be waiting for future updates, demos, and hopefully the final game. Cheers!

Ryuushiro
Regular

#11 Post by Ryuushiro »

plainviewer wrote:@Ryuushiro:

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions, I really appreciate it. It will be interesting to see how this story unfolds.

I can give you some advice on the cliche part. I used to have that same concern. It's easier to focus on, "Does this make sense," rather than, "Has this been done before?" If you really think about it, the main reason most people dislike cliches isn't because it's a familiar concept, but because it tends to be unrealistic and not true to human nature. Like the cliche prince rescuing a princess, who--all by himself--overcomes all these life-threatening odds just to save someone he's never met, in the hopes she might fall in love with him. I've yet to hear of anyone that was like that, lol. That's an example of unrealistic logic.

As for being untrue to human nature, these are commonly called character archetypes. The loner, the prankster, the hothead. Very predictable characters that seem to only feel 1-3 main emotions. Making these characters isn't necessarily bad. The common problem I see with them, is that there's no character development. They never learn any lessons or mature.

The loner stays a recluse at all costs. The prankster continues making jokes at inappropriate times. And the hothead never learns how to relax. Archetypes are good as stepping stones in character development, but not as the final draft for a personality. I hope that made sense and can help you in the future.

If you'd like any suggestions, I'd be happy to help, just let me know.

Thanks again.
Thank you so much for those advices! I've been writing the script with your advice about the plot clichés in mind, so I hope it will be more bearable! I've been cutting some things from the writing that I saw as unrealistic, and I'm slowly working on changing them to be more relatable and real.
I assure you, though, that all the characters will have some sort of development and sides to them that challenge their stereotypes. This is something I'm really focusing on. I know it's a little impossible to run away from certain archetypes, especially if you want to make the character endearing for certain types of players, but I want to make all characters be 'more than it meets the eye'.
While my skills are limited and I cant stray much from what I have planend, I love hearing all suggestions and i deas everyone has been giving me! If you don't mind, in case I get some doubts on a certain part of my script and planning, I'll hit your inbox!~
Thank you so much again ~

wererat42 wrote:1- Concept sounds great. I like when people use VN format to tell stories about a culture and setting other than Japanese high school
2- Being a fan of yuri, would be nice if at least one of the girls was an option. If they were all options that would be cool too. Maybe have only a handful of CGs for each.
3- Prioritize poses over CGs, especially if you go with more romance routes.
4- Iara is probaby the most interesting female character of the bunch. Maybe also Cailean if I was going for a GxB route.
5- Probably will give it a shot
6- Good luck

Hello, thank you for your interest!
I must agree with you on that first answer! While I have really nothing against the 'japanese high school' setting, I like variety and older character because I usually find them more relatable in a way. And learning about other cultures is always a plus.
Don't worry, there will be AT LEAST on GxB route and one GxG route. I'm still planning what routes to make, but there will SURELY be one of each! I'm also a fan of yuri, so I really want to add it.
I hope you try it when it's done, and thank you again for comming here to give me some feedback! It greatly helps me!

Seigetsu wrote:I must say, the art looks really good and the plot is captivating too. I like how it gives off a kind of spooky feel, yet still coming off as a possible friendship/romance setup. I'll be on the lookout for this. As for your questions:

I really like it, and like the person who posted before me, I'm quite interested in VNs that tell stories about foreign folklore. I think it's an interesting way to learn about foreign cultures.

As a GxG fan, I'm particularly interested in Maria and Iara. Though it may prove challenging, I'm especially interested in Maria since she seems to have a very mysterious vibe to her. It'd be very interesting to explore her background bit by bit as the MC slowly gains her trust. As I do not like GxB personally, I have less of an interest in romance routes for the male characters, but of course, I can understand that there would be perhaps a larger audience for those routes. If I must pick, I find Samir to be an interesting character to write about. In comparison, Cailean and Iggy don't seem as interesting to me because...I suppose they seem a little plain? Also, I prefer that the MC is not made gender-ambiguous (as in you can choose to make her male or female). I find that makes the story less...personal, if that's the right word to describe it. If you do end up letting the player choose to play as male or female, I'd prefer separate MCs with different personalities and backgrounds. But just to clarify, I am totally fine, personally, with a female MC. This is just in response to the comment on how some players may want to romance the characters with a male MC.

I'd prefer larger amount of CGs instead of multiple poses. I find just varying the facial expression to be adequate in conveying emotions in the character sprites. Afterall, people usually aren't so expressive about their feelings in real-life anyways. I find an "I don't care" pose with hands flung to the side to be overly dramatic.

Maria's, not only her description, but also the design, with the ragged and dirty clothes and hollow eyes. I'm interested in how she can be so frightened by others, yet be vengeful at the same time. Would she get her revenge? I think that would be interesting to explore.

Yes, of course! I can't wait!

Not much, just that I really hope to see this completed. Do you have a timeline of sorts to keep you on track? Because personally, I find that without a concrete plan and self-set deadlines, I can't get anything done, but that may be just me. Also, I think it'd be best that you start working on one route, then the next, instead of doing everything all at once, because that way, you'd still have a complete game even if you end up losing interest in the development of the game and decide to scrap some routes in the end. It's always better to have a complete game than a game that's too big to handle. Well, who am I to say this when I have not completed any games myself, haha. Anyway, best of luck to you and I'll be waiting for future updates, demos, and hopefully the final game. Cheers!

Hey there, thanks for commenting! I'm so thankful that you gave me this feedback!
The game will have a spooky vibe to it, mostly because our folklore is so filled with this kinds of story, haha! (we got some pretty twisted tales!) but my focus is to talk about loneliness, friendship and 'finding who you are', so I hope I can convey that to players!
I am also a fan of GxG so there will be a route like that in the game (hence the tags I chose~) and I totally understand that you found Cailean and Iggy to be plain. I am working hard on writing their scenes to make them interesting, and so far I found Iggy one of the hardest ones to write so far. I don't want him to be too stereotyped, but I still wanna give him some traits that make him seem endearing for players.

I answered a question before about a male MC, and while I would love to do it, I would have to devote a lot more of time and probably wouldn't be able to realease this game with more romance routes that way. Art wise it would be a challenge to find time to draw all CGs for male and female MC, so my answer for now as of a male MC is a no, it won't be possible, sadly. If somehow I managed to add it, though, I would love to give the MCharacters different backgrounds and make the male MC be inspired in a different legend than the Female MC. It would be a very cool thing ;7;

I'm so happy that you are interested in Maria's story by the way! I can assure you that it's very interesting, based on the tale that inspired her creation. She is a complex character and wherever I give her a romance route or not, I hope players will enjoy talking to her and knowing about her past.

I don't really set deadlines for myself because I find that I work a lot faster when I'm simply doing something out of will than out of pressure. I have been working little by little on this everyday, though. I'm hoping to finish one or two more backgrounds, 2 CGs, then write a little more of the script and get help with the music and GUI to launch a demo, though. The first demo will probably only have the introduction to the game, but still present all characters to the player so that I can get more feedback on how I'm writing them. The two main problems of the story will also be presented on the first demo.
Thank you so much again for your feedback! It really helps, and I'll try to follow your suggestion to write each route at the time. That way I can at least release the game in case it gets overwelming even if it has fewer routes than I wanted.

I'm also gonna give a little update here to show a BG I've worked on yesterday~
If you follow me on twitter you probably saw me getting slightly angry over the amount of windows - 7 -

Here is the making of the lineart:

and here is the BG with flat coloring. I'll work on it's shading next!

Thank you again for everyone who is comming here to check this out and help me with suggestions, ideas and impressions.
I must say, I wasn't expecting to be so warmly welcome and I'm glad that people take a bit of their time to comment here (even if sometimes I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing haha ;7; )
As I said before, this is a project born out of hobby and while I know it's not gonna be perfect, I'm having loads of fun by doing my best~ > u <

DeviantartPatreon

Seigetsu
Regular
Deviantart: suien

#12 Post by Seigetsu »

Just got to say, your art is really nice, and I think the backgrounds are looking good. How many backgrounds are you planning on making? Maybe it's just me, but I find making backgrounds to be exhausting, so as I game-player, I can totally understand if you limit the number of backgrounds you're making in favour of other art assets, or replacing some custom backgrounds with stock art in the case that it becomes too overwhelming to draw all of them. (Then again, I can't draw very well, so this probably doesn't apply to you)

Ryuushiro
Regular

#13 Post by Ryuushiro »

Seigetsu wrote:Just got to say, your art is really nice, and I think the backgrounds are looking good. How many backgrounds are you planning on making? Maybe it's just me, but I find making backgrounds to be exhausting, so as I game-player, I can totally understand if you limit the number of backgrounds you're making in favour of other art assets, or replacing some custom backgrounds with stock art in the case that it becomes too overwhelming to draw all of them. (Then again, I can't draw very well, so this probably doesn't apply to you)
Thank you, I'm really glad you think so ;u; I'm working hard with the art!
I very much understand what you mean about BGs being exhausting, though. I have a love-hate relationship with them. While it's great for practice and a stress reliver for me, it's also really tiring and it takes long to get done. I know I really need to make at least 3 more BGs. One will be easy (nature setting), the other two are indoors, so it's a little harder for me. However I really wanna get those done. I think it would be weird if I had 3 BGs drawn by me and the rest as stock art. Worst case scenario, the other backgrounds will just not be as detailed as the others, but I wanna draw all of them.

Talking about backgrounds, I finished the BG I was making! Meet Hollow Falls, everyone. Day and Night versions.

DeviantartPatreon

Ryuushiro
Regular

#14 Post by Ryuushiro »

Still working on this!

I am currently doing more backgrounds and writing the script (may god help me lmao)

Note: A few people volunteered to help me on some things like GUI and music, and while I will VERY MUCH need the help, I think I should get more of the script done before accepting it. I'm very thankful, though, and I surely appreciate the offers very much! But I think it's not fair of me to ask for help while I don't have much done ;u; I hope everyone understands.

Now that I'm here already, I'll post this little pic I drew!
Since it's very simple, I'm not sure if they will become CGs in game. I made it mostly for fun, but we'll see.

(Cailean and Samir are irresponsible trash and Iara is taking none of their shit - 7 - )

Hope you all have a great weekend!

DeviantartPatreon

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#15 Post by Lesleigh63 »

Very pretty art and I like seeing the shots of your process.
The concept seems interesting.
I like GxB and BxB - and also a friendship route if I just don't feel like romance.
All the characters seem interesting.
Sprite poses versus CGs - up to you (I would expect the CGs would take longer to do).
Looking very good.