Question... NEED ANSWER SOON ! :-)

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Dylan_Bain
Regular
Organization: Dylan Bain Games

Question... NEED ANSWER SOON ! :-)

#1 Post by Dylan_Bain »

Is it possible to make a farming game like Alice Greenfingers 2 ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMai6-zP ... ata_player ) in GameMaker, RPG Maker or any other easy program?

I would also like to publish my game. With this application would i have the rights to do so?
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 52#p365552 Curently NOT Accepting Commisions!

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat

Re: Question... NEED ANSWER SOON ! :-)

#2 Post by firecat »

i am 100% sure you cant use RPG maker to build a farm game (the system is not build for it), i also know that you can build a farm game but you need to code it since you need a timer to make plants grow, a inventory, date time/night time, movements, etc.

if you mean use Alice Greenfingers to help you build 90% of the game then no, unless you get permission from the owner(s).

special thanks to nantoka.main.jp and iichan_lolbot

Dylan_Bain
Regular

#3 Post by Dylan_Bain »

firecat wrote:i am 100% sure you cant use RPG maker to build a farm game (the system is not build for it), i also know that you can build a farm game but you need to code it since you need a timer to make plants grow, a inventory, date time/night time, movements, etc.

if you mean use Alice Greenfingers to help you build 90% of the game then no, unless you get permission from the owner(s).
Thanks Firecat!
no, i dont want to make another Alice Greenfingers game. I just meant that i dont want it to be 3d or overly complicated.
i suppose there are timers and that in Gamemaker?
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 52#p365552 Curently NOT Accepting Commisions!

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Your Royal Gayness, Love Bug, Lovingly Evil
Organization: Lizard Hazard Games
Tumblr: lizardhazardgames
itch: aviala

#4 Post by Aviala »

I think you can make pretty complicated games in gamemaker.
Spelunky, Hotline Miami and Super Crate Box were created in GameMaker 7.

But I'm sure that to make a game like that, you need to have a really good grasp of the program and you need to know some coding/scripting.

P.S. You should name your threads better. "Need answers soon" doesn't tell people anything about your question. Consider better thread titles like "Is there an easy way to make a farming game?" or "I need to find a software to make a farming game".

Dylan_Bain
Regular

#5 Post by Dylan_Bain »

Aviala wrote:I think you can make pretty complicated games in gamemaker.
Spelunky, Hotline Miami and Super Crate Box were created in GameMaker 7.

But I'm sure that to make a game like that, you need to have a really good grasp of the program and you need to know some coding/scripting.

P.S. You should name your threads better. "Need answers soon" doesn't tell people anything about your question. Consider better thread titles like "Is there an easy way to make a farming game?" or "I need to find a software to make a farming game".
Thanks for the help!

Yes, i am notoriously bad for naming things ;-)

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#6 Post by SundownKid »

firecat wrote:i am 100% sure you cant use RPG maker to build a farm game
Actually, I think it's definitely possible to make a farming type game in RPG Maker. It's totally possible to make "battle-less" games in RPG Maker, that are of a similar format... such as adventure games or the like. You can make an internal timer if you want it to be realtime, or advance the clock manually, and let it change variables on stuff... say, variables on a plant to make it grow, and the like. I could totally see a farming game being done in RPG Maker, and it's probably more conducive to that type of thing than Ren'py... although Ren'py could also be used if you are okay with a more abstracted system and a heavier visual novel slant.

Nekobiker
Regular

#7 Post by Nekobiker »

Making such a game in RPG Maker is very possible, and actually rather easy just using built-in timers and variables. It has been done multiple times before. There also exist scripting and graphical resources for this sort of thing, just look around the RM communities. RM games can also be released commercially without issues (you'll need to negotiate with creators of any third-party resources, though).

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#8 Post by LVUER »

You can make game like that using anything... Game Maker is fine, it's perfectly capable... Unity can do that do if you want... RPG Maker can do that too... but just remember that RPG Maker is very grid-y... so your game would be more like the old SNES harvest moon... and all the input must be on keyboard.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by SundownKid »

LVUER wrote:You can make game like that using anything... Game Maker is fine, it's perfectly capable... Unity can do that do if you want... RPG Maker can do that too... but just remember that RPG Maker is very grid-y... so your game would be more like the old SNES harvest moon... and all the input must be on keyboard.
There are scripts that can fix both of those issues.

Gamepad extender lets you use Xinput gamepads like most modern games:

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php ... 1-2202015/

There's also an 8-directional movement script to allow characters to move around better. Heck, you can make a copycat of Rune Factory if you use the XAS Battle System.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#10 Post by Mad Harlequin »

firecat wrote:i am 100% sure you cant use RPG maker to build a farm game (the system is not build for it).
You may want to look at World's Dawn. In short, yes, Dylan, you can successfully make a farming game in something like RPG Maker.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat

#11 Post by firecat »

o.k i had it up to here on people who says it's easy to make a farm game from RPG maker. first off it's only possible if you know ruby, the program language that RPG use. there is no possible way to build a farm game from RPG with no coding, that's what Dylan_Bain was asking because he wanted a program that was easy.

special thanks to nantoka.main.jp and iichan_lolbot

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by SundownKid »

firecat wrote:o.k i had it up to here on people who says it's easy to make a farm game from RPG maker. first off it's only possible if you know ruby, the program language that RPG use. there is no possible way to build a farm game from RPG with no coding, that's what Dylan_Bain was asking because he wanted a program that was easy.
Most people use pre-existing scripts, nobody said you had to code it yourself. Even with a short Google search I found a calendar and weather script: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php ... er-system/

The rest of the farm mechanics would most likely use variables, which is built into the program without the use of coding. I'm not sure what you would need to custom code that there isn't a script available for. If you really wanted to get fancy and use an action-based system for planting seeds and such, you could probably modify XAS engine to do something like that.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#13 Post by Taleweaver »

I think this question can be considered answered.

Closing thread.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira