How does Google work?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

How does Google work?

#1 Post by DaFool »

I'm just wondering how soon it is when a page is launched for it to be listed in search terms.

Is it due to the number of popularity hits?

For free webpages, I doubt you really need to pay google to list your stuff up front.

But maybe you need to embed a special meta tag into your webpage?

So when should ones webpage start appearing on google? Once it's cross-linked a lot?

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#2 Post by chronoluminaire »

It's certainly meant to be the case that nobody can pay Google to prioritise their site.

Basically, it's the amount of links to the site. If links to a site appear from many different pages that Google knows about, then within a few weeks Google will crawl those links and find the site.

How high in the results you appear is a different business altogether, called search engine optimisation, about which much has been written.
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by monele »

That's pretty much the whole thing :). Also, nowadays, the content (words) is really what's important for keywords. There are HTML tags to specify keywords and stuff, but it was so abused that it's very low on the priority list now it seems. So... just get people to link to you and have an appropriate content... and it should be good :).

Jake
Support Hero

Re: How does Google work?

#4 Post by Jake »

DaFool wrote:So when should ones webpage start appearing on google? Once it's cross-linked a lot?
There certainly used to be a 'submit' link somewhere on Google's site where you could say "Hey, you don't seem to be indexing this site, here's the URL, go check it out". But I don't see it anywhere obvious any more... maybe it's been moved somewhere inside their 'webmaster services' stuff.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Scout
Veteran
Projects: A Princess of Venus

#5 Post by Scout »

It's not necessary, anyway; google indexes pages very quickly. (I notice because I like to skim my server logs when I'm bored. The google bot shows up all the friggin' time.) There's not really much you can do, other than wait a few days for it to show up.

Boch

#6 Post by Boch »

Late reply, but I just want to point out that Google does not support the "keywords" meta tag.

In fact, ever since 1998 (maybe earlier) a lot of search engines have officially dropped the meta tags support due to abuse by spammers and people who filled their meta tags with unrelated words.

I read somewhere that the only search engine that still officially supports the keywords meta tag is inktumi or inktomi... can't remember the name.

Google usually takes about less than a week to catch your page. Maybe even a few days.
Just one more try...

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#7 Post by lordcloudx »

from experience, it usually takes one week or sometimes just a day to get your free website listed or updated.

here's that add url link
http://www.google.com/addurl/?continue=/addurl
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by DaFool »

I notice that Google often lists old information. What's the best way to force Google to update its records of your page?

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by monele »

Have a website that updates often :). You could also put a Sitemap (some xml file about updates) that Google interprets too. But in the end, it's mostly about your content.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by DaFool »

I tried this:

http://www.google.com/support/webmaster ... swer=35306

but doubled back on it.

It's better to actually cache it again with the new content, so I'll just wait for it.

The other thing I thought about doing is removing the page entirely from the listing (valid for several months) and readding it during that time, but too much trouble.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#11 Post by PyTom »

It's been my experience that when a site updates frequently, google tends to crawl it constantly. If you take a look at who is online, you'll see that the forum is nearly constantly crawled by google. (And some of the other search engines.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#12 Post by yummy »

And I thought they used pigeons to reference webpages...

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

#13 Post by Der Tor »

But aren't links still related to search ranking? Otherwise how is it it possible that only crappy 10 year old sites with lots of biased information show up first, while regurlarly updated sites discussing the respective topic in detail are so far back that they have no visitors? (that's what happened to my site )-:

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#14 Post by yummy »

Actually, I know for sure that google takes info from other reference sites that are known for their relevance such as this one.
You might try to ask for indexation for your site here, google does index it when you index your site there.

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

#15 Post by Der Tor »

you are right. My site is one of the few not in that list, and the sites that show up on google first are all on the list.