Freak-Quency (GXB, stat raising, sci-fi, comedy, free)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Sionainn

Re: Freak-Quency (GXB, stat raising, sci-fi, comedy, free)

#121 Post by Sionainn »

Normally I'm a completionist, but I got the good ending on the first go and was so satisfied that I think I want to leave it as it is.
The birthday/breaking the window scene made me laugh.
Also
I am not sure if there is one particular guy that is the canon love interest, but in my brain it's Kai.
This was a really good game.

juniperandlamplight

#122 Post by juniperandlamplight »

I'm having a problem with Rick, I can't talk to him. I could talk to him before (he's at least 3/4 maxed), but for some reason now I can't - he says that he's busy in June, and that he can't talk to me now, except it's still May?

TheNightWalker

#123 Post by TheNightWalker »

juniperandlamplight wrote:I'm having a problem with Rick, I can't talk to him. I could talk to him before (he's at least 3/4 maxed), but for some reason now I can't - he says that he's busy in June, and that he can't talk to me now, except it's still May?
Did you...
side with Luke and Crystal when the fight "Luke vs Rick" took place?

I noticed that after the fight, if you don't side with Rick it's impossibile to increase Rick's level of relationship.
However, it's not necessary to fill completely Rick's bar to achieve the True Ending. :wink:
I achieved the True Ending with Rick's bar almost empty and Crystal's bar at about 90%
The MAIN important thing is...
...don't ask for any reward from the creepy little girl if you give her the blue pendant.

NEVER trust creepy little girls! :lol:

P.S.: the game was awesome! Kudos!

juniperandlamplight

#124 Post by juniperandlamplight »

I really enjoyed this game!

The art style is very nice, I liked the sprites and CGs. I thought that when you did use free resources they were fairly unobtrusive and used well (the music room's banner amused me every time I saw it, haha). The music was also very well chosen. Modeling the game as Persona-ish worked very well for the genre. I also liked that you gave time limits on some things, with Crystal and Rick's relationships, and that you had to have certain stats to 'unlock' some things - most jobs and quests, friendship with Nana - it gave a bit of structure to the game.

Playing it through again (to get the true ending, since I got the good ending first) there's some nice foreshadowing there.
Like when Sonnya says "If you can have one birthday wish come true... Then let be so you can see Milo one more time O_O
. I totally didn't see that reveal coming the first time around,
though I did guess that Suzanne and Shin were the King and Queen.
And oh my god, the birthday scene in the good ending! That was the best scene. I kind of wish I had gotten the true ending first, because getting it last (and having that be the 'canon' ending) made me want a sequel so badly! That ending was cruel.

I only really have two criticisms. The first is just a copy editing problem; there's a good amount of spelling mistakes, and some grammar mistakes. This is totally understandable, since you're not a native speaker, but I would recommend that you find another person who can check over the script and/or use editing software. If you have a google account, the one on google docs is pretty decent, and I think there are some free online ones too. It wasn't terrible, but it did bring me out of the game a little bit at times.

The other is an issue of pacing. I think the game lags in the last bit of it, in August and the beginning of September. When I played on the true route, even not playing seriously I had all of the friendships and the chosen love interest maxed, as well as all of Sonnya's stats maximized with a month of game time left. Since I'd already done everything, the remaining part until the end was just clicking to make the time advance. Even having to max everyone's stats in the good route, I still had a couple of weeks free at the end. I'm not really sure what could be done in future games to avoid this? I'm sure you had people try playing the game, so maybe I'm just unusually quick. The only thing I can think of would be to have a way to just skip days, although I'm not sure how you'd do that :/

I thought you did a great job on this game, and it's really impressive that this was your first game doing the story on your own!

Catlip Candy
Regular
Completed: Raven // Encanto
Projects: My Twisted Love Story (title susceptible to change)
Organization: Catlip Candy
Tumblr: catlipcandy
Deviantart: CatlipCandy
Soundcloud: Catlip Candy
itch: catlipcandy

#125 Post by Catlip Candy »

Hi!!! I love this game!!!

So! I totallly LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the art! And the story is really interesting! I don't see much VNs with this kind of story plot so it's not cliche! But there are things that I was kind of upset about like not being able to scroll the mouse up when I missed some dialogues, or few saving pages because it's a habit of mine to save everytime there's a menu. :oops: and how there's only three endings and I can't focus on one of them... and there's no CG gallery (I really really really fell in love with the art so I want to keep them stored within a gallery :lol: And others....

But it's really a great! And it's free!!! I am looking forward to your next game! Warning! You have a stalker.

Now I'm inspired to do better on my art!

When I saw Milo in the end, I was wondering if I could get him as a bachelor, too? :lol:

And if you don't mind... Can I make a post about this in my blog? I promised myself I'll write something about the visual novels I read, it's not a critique, just my opinions. I am not a professional in critiques. And I'm sharing your thread's link. If that's okay with you :D

Anyway, thank you for creating this game!!!
All I ask from the readers is to give feedback on what they think I should improve more.
Even the harshest comments are welcomed and greatly appreciated, as long as it is your truthful opinion!
Please help me become a better visual novel creator!

~~~~~~ Catlip Candy ~~~~~~~

rialta

#126 Post by rialta »

This game is really great !!!! And I've a true ending without routes . I am going to replay 5 times to have 5 guys ^^

rmt_2011
Regular
Projects: Lacrimosa ~ Nightmare Terror, Deceptive Dreams
Deviantart: Pie-inator

#127 Post by rmt_2011 »

Really great game. I downloaded it a while ago and only got round to play it recently. It has a lot of potential and it's really a shame that there are only 3 endings. This type of storyline and characters could have easily been in a professional otome game with more endings and storyline etc. The art was great and the story wasn't your usual fluff but quite gory (which I liked; there are far too many cliches nowadays). I really hope there will be a sequel since I'm curious as to what happened afterwards

Catlip Candy
Regular

#128 Post by Catlip Candy »

Xerofit51 wrote:The 5th bachelor? Maybe the choices or maybe you should spend more time with him more (only on Sundays, click on the laptop after triggering his first event in May, bravery must be "Normal" or above). You have trigger his first event though right? At the arcade in May?

This one... >_< Totally missed this comment!!!
I was giving him candies until I'm broke :D Well, I'm glad I reread the whole thread!!!
All I ask from the readers is to give feedback on what they think I should improve more.
Even the harshest comments are welcomed and greatly appreciated, as long as it is your truthful opinion!

Xerofit51
Veteran
Completed: Freak-quency, Harvest-Moon spin off
Projects: Freak-quency
Deviantart: xerofit51

#129 Post by Xerofit51 »

Thx 4 the feedback! glad u guys enjoyed my game. thx 4 playing!
Anywho, CG's from freak-quency n sakon's BG (DO NOT RE USE! 4 Personal enjoyment only, all rights to me and sakon04):
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/jav44l ... eak_Quency

tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: ALLBLACK Phase 1, Heart's Blight, Last Rx., EDDA Cafe, Kohana, Half Moon
Projects: ALLBLACK Phase 2
Organization: VN Project Indonesia
Deviantart: SECONDARY-TARGET
itch: NSAID
Discord: 3,4-Methylendioxymethamphetamine#4886

#130 Post by tiya_nofurita »

About the CG you provided

Could you make it into single file .zip because it's easier to look/download that way :D
MediaFire won't let me download all files at one time.
Thank you, much appreciated.
Webtoon

"For what reason I live?"

---
Completed project:

"What will you see when you are dead?"

MY VISUAL NOVEL

Xerofit51
Veteran
Completed: Freak-quency, Harvest-Moon spin off
Projects: Freak-quency
Deviantart: xerofit51

#131 Post by Xerofit51 »

tiya_nofurita wrote:About the CG you provided

Could you make it into single file .zip because it's easier to look/download that way :D
MediaFire won't let me download all files at one time.
Thank you, much appreciated.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/mupp7 ... lc1/bg.zip
zipped :)

Catlip Candy
Regular

#132 Post by Catlip Candy »

Thank you very much for link!!!! T^T I'll download it on 2am. Internet's much faster in that time :lol:

JJupiterJump
Regular

#133 Post by JJupiterJump »

This game reminded me so much of Persona! I was playing through it and during one of the scenes I thought "Persona had a scene just like this!", it made me pretty happy because it's a game I played to help me through my depression. It was really nice to be reminded of it. (Even though one of the similar scenes made me remember what happened in Persona- why did you give me these feels)

I'm really impressed with how you made the game, when I started playing I thought it would be just a regular VN. I was really surprised when I got to actually click on things!
When I found out Malkav is Rick's sister and I was waiting for a scene where I could tell him, like whenever he was on screen after I figured it out I wanted to shake my monitor and say "SHE'S ALIVE THIS IS HER" haha
I also hope my comments of how similar they are don't upset you or anything. Because even though I can see inspiration from it, I still saw it as a completely different game that I really enjoyed. It was more like a cute connection to me!

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Starlight Dreamers, Mysterious Melody, Town of Memories, Marked, To Fly, The Change, Him From The Past, A Forgotten Memory
Projects: Cafe Mysteria

#134 Post by AsHLeX »

I just realized that you added a DL for the CG's and BG :D
Definitely DLding to look at on my phone (lol). Love the CG's dearly <3
New demo out 24/12/23!!

Amberbaum
Regular

#135 Post by Amberbaum »

I have a question regarding the soundtrack. Could you please tell me whats the name of the song is which is played when Sonya is witnessing the first Freak-Quency fight in the park?
I really love this song. :mrgreen: