Get that thing off your chest... Now...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#4726 Post by Donmai »

kisa wrote:I'll just slink back to my creeperbush and only pop out when I've finished something...
Will be sending a PM to your creeperbush in some minutes.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

kisa
Veteran
Completed: Brother Rose, Dogs Alone
Projects: So many projects, I can't name them.
Deviantart: tsubasafan135
itch: kisa

#4727 Post by kisa »

Wow, My creeperbush is now covered in letters. XD
Thank you, guys. 8u8/
I'm offering commissions!
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=41656

Squid
Regular

#4728 Post by Squid »

I just noticed that I wasn't getting notifications from here anymore.
Maybe I accidentally deleted the email that tells me a new post has been made.

Either way, I'm back.
And I've been in despair for days o.o

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#4729 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Squid wrote:And I've been in despair for days o.o
Sending you a virtual hug.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

noctos
Regular
Projects: Aeris
Tumblr: noctos

#4730 Post by noctos »

I'm awfully new here but -- Can I post here? I'm gonna post here.

I feel like I'm backed into a corner. I recently landed myself a full-time summer job. I'll get lots of shifts, lots of money, and most importantly, I'll stand more securely when I get my own apartment in August. This all sounds very nice, except for one tiny little detail:

I can't stand it.

I've finished a week of training and by the end of it I'd panicked twice, lost three nights of sleep and lost 2 pounds. I can't remember ever feeling this distressed before (and I have a long history of anxiety.) Right now I want to just give up, but I literally can't afford that, and therefore I feel trapped and miserable, and ready to curl into a ball of self-pity.

Any tips on dealing with awful jobs are highly appreciated.
Tentatively working on my first project ☆

Squid
Regular

#4731 Post by Squid »

Holy shit!

What job?

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#4732 Post by fleet »

If you have an awful job don't quit, but start looking for another one. When you get the new job, give your old employer two weeks notice.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Dylan_Bain
Regular
Organization: Dylan Bain Games

#4733 Post by Dylan_Bain »

Okay....

I am really getting annoyed with Microsoft.
First off, the non stop updates for windows 8 and 8.1 PCs! Seriously, like, every night when I turn of my laptop i have the fear of a new update. I mean, they don't even really affect anything, but they can take hours- sometimes days!!!
Second, I bought a windows phone, and it blue-screened me. No reason at all. None. Just didn't want to turn on ever again. That annoyed me.
Also, this is not really a big thing, but remember the days when you would get a little notification at the bottom of your screen if you had an email? Well, 8.1 doesn't have that, and I have to check my inbox every 10 minutes to make sure i am not missing anything!!!!

Glad thats over...

*see's an advert for windows 10*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO wait where is windows 9?? -_-
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 52#p365552 Curently NOT Accepting Commisions!

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#4734 Post by Hijiri »

Dylan_Bain wrote:wait where is windows 9?? -_-
Apparently, they skipped 9 because of the way they programmed their OS. 9 is used by the 9# versions of windows, so that would end up bricking the system on bootup.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#4735 Post by Sapphi »

noctos wrote: I've finished a week of training and by the end of it I'd panicked twice, lost three nights of sleep and lost 2 pounds. I can't remember ever feeling this distressed before (and I have a long history of anxiety.) Right now I want to just give up, but I literally can't afford that, and therefore I feel trapped and miserable, and ready to curl into a ball of self-pity.

Any tips on dealing with awful jobs are highly appreciated.
Seconding what fleet suggested. As for tips? I lasted about one month as a near-full-time cashier in a supermarket before I had an anxiety attack and decided to go home, at which point the on-duty manager suggested the crowds were only going to get worse around the holidays and asked me if I wanted to keep working there. I put in a week's notice on the spot and I do not regret that choice one bit. I struggle with anxiety too, but there's a difference between manageable job-related anxiety (maybe you don't like ONE aspect of your job) and a situation where "hell" might as well be your job description. So try to get something else lined up (or see if you can switch roles at your company?), but remember that you can't buy peace of mind. The hits that your health and well-being are taking as a result of working there probably outweigh the money you make anyway.

If you're looking to get something else lined up, by the way, consider going through an employment agency. They have a strong incentive to please their clients (employers) so they will work within your constraints to find a job you won't want to quit. (Speaking from personal experience :) )
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

noctos
Regular
Projects: Aeris
Tumblr: noctos

#4736 Post by noctos »

Squid wrote:Holy shit!

What job?
It's in uh, home nursing care. I don't even mind the actual job of helping old people, but the stress of driving from house to house and finishing my list before the day is over is overkill.
fleet wrote:If you have an awful job don't quit, but start looking for another one. When you get the new job, give your old employer two weeks notice.
Yeah, I think you're right. The problem is that I've been applying for jobs since December, and these are the only ones that called back. I have that sinking feeling that I won't be able to find something else. I'm looking around, though.
Sapphi wrote: Seconding what fleet suggested. As for tips? I lasted about one month as a near-full-time cashier in a supermarket before I had an anxiety attack and decided to go home, at which point the on-duty manager suggested the crowds were only going to get worse around the holidays and asked me if I wanted to keep working there. I put in a week's notice on the spot and I do not regret that choice one bit. I struggle with anxiety too, but there's a difference between manageable job-related anxiety (maybe you don't like ONE aspect of your job) and a situation where "hell" might as well be your job description. So try to get something else lined up (or see if you can switch roles at your company?), but remember that you can't buy peace of mind. The hits that your health and well-being are taking as a result of working there probably outweigh the money you make anyway.

If you're looking to get something else lined up, by the way, consider going through an employment agency. They have a strong incentive to please their clients (employers) so they will work within your constraints to find a job you won't want to quit. (Speaking from personal experience :) )
Yeah, it really feels like it's chipping away at my health. I'm really sorry you had to go through that. It sounds like the manager treated you well, though, and you found a way out! Did you get another job later on?

Thanks for the great advice everyone! I really appreciate it ♥
Tentatively working on my first project ☆

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#4737 Post by Rinima »

noctos wrote:
Squid wrote:Holy shit!

What job?
It's in uh, home nursing care. I don't even mind the actual job of helping old people, but the stress of driving from house to house and finishing my list before the day is over is overkill.
fleet wrote:If you have an awful job don't quit, but start looking for another one. When you get the new job, give your old employer two weeks notice.
Yeah, I think you're right. The problem is that I've been applying for jobs since December, and these are the only ones that called back. I have that sinking feeling that I won't be able to find something else. I'm looking around, though.
Sapphi wrote: Seconding what fleet suggested. As for tips? I lasted about one month as a near-full-time cashier in a supermarket before I had an anxiety attack and decided to go home, at which point the on-duty manager suggested the crowds were only going to get worse around the holidays and asked me if I wanted to keep working there. I put in a week's notice on the spot and I do not regret that choice one bit. I struggle with anxiety too, but there's a difference between manageable job-related anxiety (maybe you don't like ONE aspect of your job) and a situation where "hell" might as well be your job description. So try to get something else lined up (or see if you can switch roles at your company?), but remember that you can't buy peace of mind. The hits that your health and well-being are taking as a result of working there probably outweigh the money you make anyway.

Yeah, it really feels like it's chipping away at my health. I'm really sorry you had to go through that. It sounds like the manager treated you well, though, and you found a way out! Did you get another job later on?

Thanks for the great advice everyone! I really appreciate it ♥
I have the same job, and I can say with certainty that it's not for people with anxiety issues. It's not even the times you'll worry about after a while, but some of the service users are nightmares. I've had two panic attacks on the job and a week long anxiety attack over just one service user. And I'm not known for anxiety issues.
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#4738 Post by fleet »

noctos wrote:
Oddly enough, whenever I've changed jobs, it seemed easier to find a new job when I was already employed.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Kailoto
Veteran
Completed: No VNs, but a few novels. :D
Projects: Artificial, Seven Deaths (inactive)

#4739 Post by Kailoto »

Dylan_Bain wrote:Okay....

I am really getting annoyed with Microsoft.
First off, the non stop updates for windows 8 and 8.1 PCs! Seriously, like, every night when I turn of my laptop i have the fear of a new update. I mean, they don't even really affect anything, but they can take hours- sometimes days!!!
Which is why I waited for downgrade rights to Windows 7 to go on sale before buying my laptop. >.>
Things I've Written:
Sakura (Novel, Self Published, 80,000+ words)
City and Girl (Novel, First Draft, 70,000+ words)
Loka (Novel, Third Draft, 120,000+ words)

A layabout writer and programmer with lots of problems and even more ideas. Hyped for Persona 5.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#4740 Post by Sapphi »

noctos wrote: Yeah, it really feels like it's chipping away at my health. I'm really sorry you had to go through that. It sounds like the manager treated you well, though, and you found a way out! Did you get another job later on?
Well, the funny thing is that the manager sort of tried to scare me by saying "You're young... if you quit this job without putting in any notice it will follow you forever..." which is BS, since you're the one in control of your resume. :P

And yes, I got a much better (desk) job through an employment agency. I still experience some anxiety there, but it's much more manageable, and the pay is better. But I would never have found that opening without going through an employment agency.

BTW, if you're really strapped for cash and can't find anything good right now, see if you can find some temp work in a different field. Temp work is low-risk since they're not expecting you to stay for a long time, so if you end up hating it, you can quit with relatively little hassle/guilt. But if you end up liking it and perform really well, sometimes they ask you to stay. You'll also gain an easy reference to put on your next job application.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬