Foreign Languages

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

Re: Foreign Languages

#91 Post by Rinima »

sendo wrote:
Rinima wrote:Really? I wouldn't have though you weren't English if I didn't know, your written English and understanding is fantastic!
Thanks, but that's just because I try to proofread whatever I write and read the texts at least 2 times haha. It takes me some time to translate what I want to say to English. My reply above still took me several minutes I think. But ideally, I'd like to be able to naturally write and speak it. :D
Welp, I would offer to talk to you over Skype to help you with it but unfortunately, I'm a social-awkward adult (I can't say teen anymore damn it) XD
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Electromancer
Regular
Completed: A New and Beautiful World [Ludum Dare 30], Lull [Ludum Dare 31], Palinurus [NaNoRenO 2015], Seeds of Sylvia [Secret Santa 2015], Fare Thee Well [NaNoRenO 2016]
Projects: Republic of Stories
Organization: Freelance

#92 Post by Electromancer »

Ooh, this is a cool thread. I'll hop on and give my case.

I was born and raised in the United States to immigrant parents. I speak:

English (5/5), of course, being my primary language in daily life.

Thai (4/5), the language of my family, which I was raised to speak and speak in private with my loved ones / at home.

And I'll be beginning my third year of study of French (3/5) this coming semester, which is going to be fun.

(And I suppose I know as many typical Japanese words as any other anime fan's grown to know over years of watching subbed anime, but that really doesn't count.)
Student activist. Son of immigrants. Published poet, author. Young but experienced freelance writer at $0.05/word, DM for portfolio. Buddhist. BLM.

Kailoto
Veteran
Completed: No VNs, but a few novels. :D
Projects: Artificial, Seven Deaths (inactive)

#93 Post by Kailoto »

Ooh, interesting. Well, here's the breakdown for me:

English: 5/5 (first language)
Japanese: 3/5 (basic hearing, reading, and writing skills, but limited vocabulary and oral composition; still ongoing)
Spanish: 2/5 (took three years and became okay, but don't intend to keep learning)

My mom also knows ASL and taught me the alphabet, but that's it.
Things I've Written:
Sakura (Novel, Self Published, 80,000+ words)
City and Girl (Novel, First Draft, 70,000+ words)
Loka (Novel, Third Draft, 120,000+ words)

A layabout writer and programmer with lots of problems and even more ideas. Hyped for Persona 5.

Catalyst Edge Gaming
Regular
Completed: Deep Freeze Cafe
Projects: Junkyard
Tumblr: catalystedge

#94 Post by Catalyst Edge Gaming »

English 5/5
Korean 3/5 (I can read and write, but can't always translate. I can generally carry out small talk and polite conversation.)
Spanish 2/5 (Took 2 years in high school, spoke a bit because of friends, but I'm not great at it)
French 1/5 (Let's not...)
Mandarin 1/5 (Took it for a year when I was a kid, don't remember much)
Japanese 1.5/5 (I'm not great at Japanese... The writing system always throws me off)
German 1.5/5? (I tried to learn it for a few years there, I'm not great at it. So not great at it)

Yeah, I love languages, they're great, I want to learn a ton.
First Finished game! Deep Freeze Cafe.

You can buy it here

And of course there's something new in the works. More details will be released on tumblr as the project get's further along~
http://catalystedge.tumblr.com/

Electric Daisy

#95 Post by Electric Daisy »

Oho..seems fun :D

As for me,here's my score.

English 4/5(I can speak pretty fluently and my writing was..well you can judge it by reading my post.)
Japanese 1/5(Can only speak a little bit though)
Mandarin 5/5(Native language)
Korean 3/5(Can speak and write a moderately)
Malay 4/5(My neighbours are Malay though)

It's okay,i still have time to learn more about language since i'm still young.(Turning 18 this august :D )

Michiyo6918
Veteran
Projects: ╮(╯▽╰)╭

#96 Post by Michiyo6918 »

Vietnamese - 5/5 (It's my mother tongue haha)

French - 2-3/5 (The second language I took, for over 10 years. But I just casually returned all of that knowledge back to my teachers LMFAO I can read and listen, but I will struggle with forming sentences)

English - 4/5 (Believe it or not English is probably the third language I learn to speak all by myself :V I can listen, understand well, grammar and wording are still a thing...)

Japanese - 1/5 (Funny how I can understand what people are saying in Japanese most of the time. I can't read or write anything though)

Chinese - 3/5 (Translating Chinese novel as a hobby during free time. I still struggle to write and speak Chinese properly but it's my life goal to study this language fluently _(: 3 _| )_ )
Tumblr | DA | Honest Critique
“如果那个人是神。
他想渎神。
——【黑匣子】”

Saitoki1582
Regular
Completed: Fluff Hood's Adventure, The Halloween Night
Projects: Mechanoid

#97 Post by Saitoki1582 »

Wow there is a surprising large numbers of Vietnamese here O:
Vietnamese: 5/5 (mother tongue)

English: 4/5? (I can read well and have decent enough vocabulary but speaking and listening still need work , there is not many chance to practice here.)

Japanese: 2/5 (Started learning last year. Can read basic Japanese and read about 400~ kanji, gonna try for N3 this year, wish me luck x3)

Kailoto
Veteran

#98 Post by Kailoto »

Saitoki1582 wrote:Japanese: 2/5 (Started learning last year. Can read basic Japanese and read about 400~ kanji, gonna try for N3 this year, wish me luck x3)
Ooh yeah, ganbatte! A friend of mine in the same class as me (he'd been studying Japanese for longer though) passed the N2 last year. Said it was the hardest test he'd ever taken in his life, and our school's quite advanced, so... good luck! You'll need it. D:
Things I've Written:

A layabout writer and programmer with lots of problems and even more ideas. Hyped for Persona 5.

Saitoki1582
Regular
Completed: Fluff Hood's Adventure, The Halloween Night
Projects: Mechanoid

#99 Post by Saitoki1582 »

Thanks! I have heard that N2 test is really, really hard and well, I have no chance with it. But from what I knew, N2 is a completely different level from N3, so hopefully I have a shoot at N3 here^^.

My cousin passed N1 in the second year of University, he is a Japanese major. But again he is a monster who graduated as the best of his department.

Kailoto
Veteran

#100 Post by Kailoto »

Saitoki1582 wrote:Thanks! I have heard that N2 test is really, really hard and well, I have no chance with it. But from what I knew, N2 is a completely different level from N3, so hopefully I have a shoot at N3 here^^.

My cousin passed N1 in the second year of University, he is a Japanese major. But again he is a monster who graduated as the best of his department.
Yeah, I can only dream of passing the N1. Small steps though.
Things I've Written:

Arkentut
Tumblr: arkentut

#101 Post by Arkentut »

This seems interesting and here's what I can,

Indonesian: 4.5/5 (Mostly because I come from Indonesia and I can say I'm pretty awesome in my own language, formal or informal. Plus, we have a lot more language here and I master in 3 out of a lot of language.)
English: 4/5 (Just because I can and I learn how to English?)
Japanese and Mandarin: 1/5 (Learned this at school before)
German and Dutch: 1.5/5 (Father speaks Dutch and I learn how to German from a friend)
Korean: 1/5 (My former K-Pop obsession. Enough said.)
Malay: 3/5 (It's the most similar language to Indonesian, although with a bit changes here and there.)

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#102 Post by noeinan »

English 5/5
My native language. Also have experience writing academically.

Japanese 3/5

Studied Japanese for 8 years, a mix of formal and non-formal education. I started studying in middle school, continued in high school, and did a refresher course in college. Still have most of my school books, have used audio CDs for vocabulary, translated manga and Japanese video games. Tim's Takamatsu is one of the best online resources for learning, especially grammar: http://ww8.tiki.ne.jp/~tmath/home/

Unfortunately, while I have visited, I never had a chance to live in Japan and thus have never used Japanese frequently enough to become fluent. I'm at an intermediate level, and have been out of practice for a few years. (Conversationally at least.)

Russian 2/5

My partner immigrated from Ukraine and is fluent in Russian. I studied for one year in college, and have made attempts to learn since then. When we visit his parents, generally dinner conversation is in Russian-- I can understand more than I can speak. (Unfortunately, after hearing some of the things discussed, I re-evaluated whether I wanted to join Russian language dinner conversation, and figure it's probably best if I don't understand what they are talking about.)

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Starlight Dreamers, Mysterious Melody, Town of Memories, Marked, To Fly, The Change, Him From The Past, A Forgotten Memory
Projects: Cafe Mysteria

#103 Post by AsHLeX »

It seems that throws quite a lot of Malays and Indonesians here :D

Husky

#104 Post by Husky »

Polish: 5/5 (Native. Am I the only one here? ಠ_ಠ)
English: 3.5/5 (Fine to understand, however it's not the level of a native speaker)
Russian: 2.5/5 (I know their alphabet and some basic structures)
German: 2/5 (Some basic sentences. I had the one in middle school)
Dutch: 1/5 (I've been learning it. Now, I remember only a few words perhaps)

n0tgin
Regular

#105 Post by n0tgin »

I've lived in Vietnam my whole life! So...
English 4/5 - Although it's not technically my first language (as Vietnamese is), I actually prefer using it a lot more than my mother tongue. I put 4/5 because I'm still in school and learning so hopefully I'll improve as I go on. Fun fact: English is also mandatory for all students in Vietnam.
Vietnamese 4/5 - Mother tongue. Still learning. Although I don't particularly enjoy studying it. O-<-<
German 1/5 - I'm at stage one of learning German, I know the basics but... Yeah.