Default text speed problem with my game tester

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
doodlemancy

Default text speed problem with my game tester

#1 Post by doodlemancy »

So, I changed the default text speed for my game from 0 to 35. It works fine for me when I test it.

My friend, who had already tested some previous versions of the game for me, started up the new version I sent her and found that the game still ran as if the text speed were set to 0 (instant). On the preferences screen, text speed was cranked all the way up to max.

We did some googling and came across this thread on another forum and thought we'd solved the mystery, but even after deleting the persistent data and saves, the game is still running as if the default text speed is 0. (She did remember to close the game before deleting the files.)

What's going on? Is Ren'py secretly storing this information somewhere we haven't looked?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Default text speed problem with my game tester

#2 Post by PyTom »

If you didn't use the launcher to delete persistent, you probably didn't find both places (game/saves/persistent and a system-specific location).
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

doodlemancy

#3 Post by doodlemancy »

Oh, I used the launcher to delete persistent files on my end. Then I built her a windows distribution and sent that to her-- probably should have mentioned that, oops! She doesn't have Ren'py, just my game, so there's no launcher for her to use.

She's on Windows 8 and has a Ren'py folder in AppData > Roaming. It had data from my game and from another Ren'py game she had played. She deleted the files from my game, but still had the same problem with the text. That's why I'm so confused.

SinnyROM
Regular
Projects: Blue Birth
Organization: Cosmic Static Games

#4 Post by SinnyROM »

doodlemancy wrote:On the preferences screen, text speed was cranked all the way up to max.
Can you check to see if this is still true on her game? If I recall correctly, the behaviour for text speed at 0 and max is very similar, as 0 is instant and max is very quick. Maybe have hers set to something in the middle? I wish I could help you debug from the persistent side, but I haven't gotten to build distribution yet.