Divide [Otome][Fantasy][Action][DEMO UP!]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Ryuushiro
Regular
Completed: Artist for "Maid With Perfection", Artist for "Love and Romance: a study of intimacy", art for "Sleepier & Sleepier", Backgrounds for "Panzer Hearts", Sketch backgrounds for "Caramel Mokaccino DEMO
Projects: "Hunting Fable"
Tumblr: wafflemeido
Deviantart: WaffleMeido

Re: Divide [Otome][Fantasy][Action][DEMO UP!]

#16 Post by Ryuushiro »

Yoshibb! I played your demo and I'm here to bring feedback.

First off, I really love your writing. Really do.
I loved seeing how different this feels from the usual Otome VN. Usually we would see the guy 'flirting' first with the female character, but in Divide the Alex is the one who starts the teasing. While I have no problem playing the typical damnsel in distress (I rather enjoy it, really), I am all about variety! I loved being on Alex's shoes where she is such a strong female MC who gets the upperhand on Aiden and gets him to blush.

And while we are talking about Aiden- oh my god, such husbando material, haha! I felt sorry for the guy during most of the demo. The times he acted agressive were so very understandable and nicely written, and his relationship with Alex seems to develop on a nice timming- not too fast, but not too slow to get me too bored.
The only part I felt that it was a little rushed was when she helped him after the torture and she just puts her hand on his cheek and we get that cool CG. Maybe the cheek caressing was a bit too much/too forward to me, but feel free to ignore this because it's pretty much personal opinion, really!
Back to Aiden: I must embarrassedly admit that I fangirled hard really liked his sword figthing lesson scene. Wahhh ////

GUI wise, the main menu is amazing. I love it so much, really. But I'm wondering if you plan to keep the load/save/options screens as Renpy's defult or if they are just place holders for the demo? Seeing them is obviously a little let down after that cool title screen, but since it's just a demo I didn't felt like it was such a big deal, so no worries!
I will have to admit, though, that I did not like the textbox ;u; sorry. I understand that it was very pushed to the right because of Alex's sprite, but when she wasn't on screen it looked weird. Maybe you should have different textboxes: one for when she is on screen, and one for when she's not. The little options on the right corner also look kinda weird if they are not on the textbox but maybe that's just me?

I really liked most characters- but Dion in special made me very happy at the end of the demo when
I stopped that Angel kid from getting his wings cut-off. Dion sidding with Alex on that made it not feel like Alex did it just because of Aiden's plea, but that Dion, Alex and whoever sides with them just saw how wrong it was getting.
Helen also surprised me! I expected her to be a very sweet, compassionate type of character and when she
was so okay with Aiden being tortured
I remembered the reality of this war. It was very interesting and added a lot of dept to her, in my pov.
Focar, though, seemed very...stereotyped for me. While I understand that he is very overprotective and strict, it comes off a little cliché. But I know writing parents is hard and we still haven't seen much of him and his motives.
I just really hope he doesn't go all Archnemesis Dad tv trope on me later on.
The backgrounds look even cooler in game. I loved them. I spot some mistakes on the sprites but I'm not sure poiting them out at this rate (demo already done, full game already being worked on etc) will do you any help so yeah ;u; I really liked the different lightning and colors on the CGs I got!

As expected from a demo, there were a few typos and grammars mistakes but I never payed much atention to it since english is not even my main language. There were a few ponctuation mistakes that almost made me cringe, but as I said: it was expected, not the end of the world!

Anyways... you know I'm totally backing this, I loved the concept, I love your writing, I loved the characters (expect fanart ohoho).
Good luck with getting it done, friend! I'm REALLY excited to play the full game ;0; <3

VISIT MY WEBSITE FOR COMMISSIONS: { HERE }
DeviantartPatreon

yoshibb
Veteran

#17 Post by yoshibb »

@Ryuushiro Omg, thank you so much for such detailed feedback!

Firstly, I'm glad you like Aiden's and Alex's characters.
I didn't think of that. It would be hard to change it now since I already did the CG, but I may look over it again.
And no worries, I'm trying to raise the money for the full GUI so everything but the title screen and logo is going to be changing. I just kind of used everything else, including the textbox, as a placeholder for now.

I'm definitely fleshing out Focar's character later on. There's a lot more going on behind the scenes that Alex interprets for herself while not knowing the details. Trying to avoid spoilers but I don't think that he's going to fall into that archnemesis dad tv trope haha.

You can point out the sprite issues to me. I might want to change them a little for the full game if the mistakes aren't too large. I went back and tried to fix the typos a bit. In the future, I'm definitely having someone look it over cause I obviously wasn't able to find them all.

Thanks so much for backing it! The compliments mean a lot to me. And, fanart? omg, I'm not worthy >.<

yoshibb
Veteran

#18 Post by yoshibb »

The kickstarter is a little over the 1/3 of the way funded but there's still a good ways to go. I finished the desktop background today for those in the $8+ rewards. If you haven't checked it out yet, there's still 18 days to go :')

Dylan_Bain
Regular
Organization: Dylan Bain Games

#19 Post by Dylan_Bain »

I really enjoyed the most of Lost Heroes (I only say 'most' cause my computer bust and i lost my file), and am super excited for this game!
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 52#p365552 Curently NOT Accepting Commisions!

yoshibb
Veteran

#20 Post by yoshibb »

Dylan_Bain wrote:I really enjoyed the most of Lost Heroes (I only say 'most' cause my computer bust and i lost my file), and am super excited for this game!
Ugh, that sucks. That happened to me earlier this year. I'm happy to see you're excited though. I will do my best and work hard to make this best game I can!

Speaking of, Divide has been fully funded on kickstarter! There's still a few days left in case anyone would still like to donate. Any extra money is going straight into adding more assets for the game that I might not have been able to include before. Thank you everyone for helping me get to those point! The support has been amazing and I can't wait to make this game for you all.

yoshibb
Veteran

#21 Post by yoshibb »

Just a quick update. As I said last week, the kickstarter was fully funded and ended this week. Divide's production is fully underway once again. Personally, I'm working on the first half, fixing some CGs and adding/editing some things. After that, I'll be able start up writing the story and adding new chapters once more.

I added the demo to the first post, in case anyone didn't get a chance to download it before. Thanks again for all the support :)

nosoclever

#22 Post by nosoclever »

i Just logged in to tell you i love the demo! i dont comment much in the forums unless i really like something cause am really shy X3
-What do you think of the game having only one romance option? Is it a sticking point that a game have multiple romance options?
*Its ok. the main guy is adorable!!, but i must admit i have a crush in talon XD
-What do you think of the concept? I know it's not the normal type of otome game.
*I love love it! i totally love the fact the protagonist is smart and no a submissive girl.
love how she interact with others and all the concept of war between angel and demons!
-Do you think the characters are interesting? Do you want to learn more about them
*Definitly i love them all, they are unique and well writen. yes please tell us more about talon >u<

i also love your game with legend of zelda with Link, i was fangirling all the time. you have the touch for fantasy and otome feels >.<
warning bad english :v

Junesong
Regular

#23 Post by Junesong »

I absolutely loved Lost Heroes so I will be keeping a close eye on the progress with this game! ^_^

Q: What do you think of the game having only one romance option? Is it a sticking point that a game have multiple romance options?
A: I don't particularly mind, Lost Heroes was amazing! I do like to have multiple character routes but that's mainly because I love long otome games with rich content.

Q: What do you think of the concept? I know it's not the normal type of otome game.
A: I absolutely love the demon/angel-concept! Usually it's the girl that's all innocent and the boy who's the demon, and while I am a stickler for bad boys, it's very interesting to play something where the roles are reversed!

Q: Do you think the characters are interesting? Do you want to learn more about them?
A: They all sound interesting, and I look forward to getting to know them better in the game. ^_^

- Any other feedback is appreciated. At this point in the game, I don't plan on changing too much, but I will definitely take everyone's thoughts into consideration.

I was going to suggest a side-route with Dion as a possible romance but, then I read your reply to another comment on here regarding the same thing so... other than that, I'm just excited to see how this turns out!

neuropsy
Regular
Projects: Emissary of Starlight
Tumblr: emissaryofstarlight

#24 Post by neuropsy »

I played the demo about a week ago, and I'd forgotten about leaving a comment! My apologies! I really enjoyed Lost Heroes despite never having played an LoZ game, so I was super interested in trying out your original game.

-What do you think of the game having only one romance option? Is it a sticking point that a game have multiple romance options?
I don't mind there being only one romance option! Another certainly would help, but regardless of the number of available bachelors, I'll eagerly await the full release of this game.

-What do you think of the concept? I know it's not the normal type of otome game.
The concept is really fascinating! Angels and demons are entities I'm fascinated with, so I'd love to see your interpretation of them. The fact it isn't a normal otome game makes me more interested in playing.

-Do you think the characters are interesting? Do you want to learn more about them?
Yes, I do. However, more than wanting to learn more about the characters, I'd love to learn more about the world you constructed.

-Any other feedback is appreciated. At this point in the game, I don't plan on changing too much, but I will definitely take everyone's thoughts into consideration :)
I played the demo, and it was great!

Something that really caught my interest was the rampant discrimination between both the Angel and Demon societies. I'd love to learn more about the history of the world and why there's such malice between Demons and Angels. I'm sure both societies have committed atrocities, and, based on what I've read so far in the demo, neither one of the civilizations can be absolved of their horrendous actions.
I particularly enjoyed the scene where Alex stood up for the angel child from the village her soldiers were pillaging. I would make it a point to heavily emphasize that scene in the full version, but of course, this is only a suggestion and I trust your decisions with this game!
The characters are interesting, especially given the precarious dynamics between everyone, and I'm sure they'll be able to give me a nice tour of the world to satisfy my curiosities.

Also, your title screen is gorgeous.
"Everyone was jumping a giant jump rope, but I was too scared to join. I was hesitant, like a child, always waiting for you."
Current Project: Emissary of Starlight

Folding_Hearts

#25 Post by Folding_Hearts »

My love of "Lost Heroes" lured me here, and after playing the demo for "Divide," I'm really looking forward to this game as well! The characters you've created and the conversations you've written for both games are altogether so convincing and engaging that it's easy to get attached ~

What do you think of the game having only one romance option? Is it a sticking point that a game have multiple romance options?
Normally I would consider this an issue because it takes away from replay value, and with the ability to personalize the game already a bit non-existent (from the more complicated option of allowing players to assemble the MC's appearance themselves to somethings as simple as choosing a name), not even having alternative romance options to cater to player preference seems heavily limiting. However, I happen to love the story and characters so much that it doesn't bother me to know there's only one romance option. < 3

What do you think of the concept? I know it's not the normal type of otome game.
Angels versus demons isn't my favorite theme. I saw this game on Kickstarter, not knowing it was written by the same author who wrote "Lost Heroes," and immediately gave up any interest when I saw it involved a war between angels and demons. I literally only read a few sentences of the description and closed it out, barely glancing at anything except to wonder why the art looked so familiar! Now I'm kicking myself wishing I'd at least played the demo back then; I definitely would have contributed!!! I might not have been drawn in by the concept, but your talent for story and characters swayed me 100%!

Do you think the characters are interesting? Do you want to learn more about them?
Uhm, yes?! About all of them! I don't think there was even one character I wasn't interested in learning more about, including the "little dove." Well, except for maybe Zed and the demon who tortures angels? Hahaha ~

Any other feedback is appreciated. At this point in the game, I don't plan on changing too much, but I will definitely take everyone's thoughts into consideration :)
I'm very excited to see the final product ~ I also hope you'll continue making more of these amazing games in the future. I absolutely adore the work you've done so far!

yoshibb
Veteran

#26 Post by yoshibb »

Ah, I'm so sorry it's been awhile since updating this thread. Thanks so much for your kind comments, I really appreciate it. It's awesome to think that so many people liked Lost Heroes enough to take a look at my other game. I'm trying extra hard to live up to expectations!

@nosoclear Haha, Talon is cute. Don't worry, I actually have a specific chapter dedicated to his backstory, so hopefully you'll enjoy that. Wish I could give him and some other characters full routes.

@Junesong I will definitely try to make up for the lack of routes so it's still fulfilling! I was really considering making Dion a romance option (Every time I write a Dion-centric scene I regret not having the time), but he does have a good amount of content. I try to flesh out all the characters as much as I can.

@neuropsy No worries, there's going to be a good amount of background about the world and why both sides hate each other so much. Plus, I didn't want everything to be universal either so you'll find some Angels/Demons will have different worldviews or the main characters choices may end up swaying characters.

@Folding_Hearts That's cool to hear that Lost Heroes had such an impact for you. I'm still trying to find ways to include replay value without having multiple routes, so hopefully you won't miss out too much. I'm glad to hear you like and want to find out more about all the characters!

As for the game itself, I'm well into the second half writing and art wise. I'm over 80,000 words and probably going to pass my initial 100k words prediction. I'm pretty faithful updating my twitter page so if anyone would like to see how the game is going, you can check it out there. I'm still shooting for the end of October as a release date, so hopefully everything continues to go according to plan.

yoshibb
Veteran

#27 Post by yoshibb »

So, some crappy news. I needed to get a new background artist and delay the game until December/January. You can find all the details here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/35 ... ts/1366042

Spellforce1993

#28 Post by Spellforce1993 »

I like this game so much!!!!.But please tell me how many endings can I get? I got Best end, Bitter victory, Lovers killer, Rocky grave, Betrayal end and Merciless end