Impulse! [BxG] [Drama] [Murder Mystery]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
TheOnlyKieran
Regular
Organization: NewWestGames
IRC Nick: TheOnlyKieran

Impulse! [BxG] [Drama] [Murder Mystery]

#1 Post by TheOnlyKieran »

Impulse!
We're now on Steam Greenlight! Please vote for us! http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =522228456

Also, have a trailer.

Synopsis

Impulse is a Murder Mystery game currently in development for PC & Wii U by way of Unity. It revolves around 4 students in a local band together, who have worked on enough material for their first ever live show. The night goes well, until the band are packing away their gear and they find local singer Alana with a knife in her back...

The police have no suspects, so it's up to the band to figure out what's happening to the musicians in their town, and why they're suddenly dropping like flies.

Vision

This is an interactive visual novel, with lots of exploration, and choice-based confrontations (Think Danganronpa / Phoenix Wright and you're not too far off).

Progress

Script total - 70% (This needed almost a complete re-write)
Art - 50% (Main cast now complete)
Music - 50%
Programming - 50% (I had to start from scratch!)
Voice Acting - 20%

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear your feedback! You can find me on twitter @NewWestGames if you ever want to talk, or see progress updates a little more frequently.
Last edited by TheOnlyKieran on Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Sakai
Regular
Projects: Ragged Heart
Organization: Afterthought Studios

Re: Just Like Heaven [BxG] [BxB] [Drama]

#2 Post by Sakai »

Good luck Kieran! Been following this and him on twitter and gotta say its worth doing it ^^.

By the way. I think it would of be worth BBCoding the pictures with [img] tags.

TheOnlyKieran
Regular

#3 Post by TheOnlyKieran »

Sakai wrote:Good luck Kieran! Been following this and him on twitter and gotta say its worth doing it ^^.

By the way. I think it would of be worth BBCoding the pictures with [img] tags.
Though you're right, I did that and underestimated the size of the images! I'll be resizing them, but for now they stay behind link tags :D

Thanks though :)

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by gekiganwing »

My first reaction when I saw the combination of music and drama was to remember Coda: Of Love and Composition. It was a work in progress that started early in 2013, and that seems to have been quietly cancelled.

A couple minutes later, I remembered a trio of translated VNs: Kira Kira, Deardrops, and their recent crossover-sequel Cross the Future. The first two have NSFW versions on Windows, while the last is worksafe.

Some quick questions:

* What will be the sources of conflict? What will they have to deal with other than interpersonal relationships and music industry challenges?
* Why write this story? In other words, what is compelling you to write this setting, these characters, and so on?
* Will love tear the band apart, or keep them together?

Helianthus
Regular
Completed: Being Beauteous, Ambre, HVNCML, Garden of Oblivion, Wounded by Words
Projects: Chronotopia, Khzi and the Cursed Stone
Organization: Träumendes Mädchen
Tumblr: TraumendesMadchen

#5 Post by Helianthus »

I really like the character design :D (their clothes, their body language, etc)! Can I ask who the artist is?

I'm not really into visual novel about a band but it's always a welcome change from high school comedy so I don't mind. And if it's really an utsuge about music industry, crushed dreams or relationships, then I'm totally in :lol: *like depressing stuffs*

The only thing I'm worried about is that, well, it sounds like a big project (especially if there's an emphasis on choices) and big projects request so much energy to complete ^^'. What's the size of the script right now? Do you have any idea of the length of the game?

Anyway, I'm interested by Just like heaven and I wish you luck :wink:

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#6 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Oh I love the art! Also, I think the theme is pretty interesting. Good luck!
Last edited by Hazel-Bun on Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

TheOnlyKieran
Regular

#7 Post by TheOnlyKieran »

Gekiganwing - A lot if he conflicts are based around relationships, potential drug usage and the recording industry. Some of the characters also have some rich past experiences which affect these!

Why? I always hear people say write what you know. I attended University in England for music, and have moved to Canada since, so I can personally relate to a lot of characters and their experiences.

As to whether the band will stay together... Well, it's yes and no! Depends on the ending :p

Helianthus - As mentioned above, the awesome Ezri has done the artwork for the game. She's here on LSF too. I'd definitely say this is an Utsuge, I think there's one actually happy ending. That's it. Lots of crushed dreams!

In terms of length, it's pretty long. I tend to be a conversational, rather than descriptive or inner monologue type writer, but already the common path is at around 12,000 words, and I'd expect the game to total somewhere around 70,000. Lots to go!

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#8 Post by KittyKatStar »

I can relate since I was born in Canada then moved to London England. :lol:

Good luck with the project, I look forward to being all nostalgic with London again. There's so much cool stuff to do and see there.

Helianthus
Regular
Completed: Being Beauteous, Ambre, HVNCML, Garden of Oblivion, Wounded by Words
Projects: Chronotopia, Khzi and the Cursed Stone
Organization: Träumendes Mädchen
Tumblr: TraumendesMadchen

#9 Post by Helianthus »

TheOnlyKieran wrote:As mentioned above, the awesome Ezri has done the artwork for the game. She's here on LSF too.
My bad, I didn't notice you've mentionned here :oops: . In my defense, it wasn't highlighted at all. Why not putting her name in bold or putting a link to her page/topic :wink: ? We could find her name more easily while reading the topic that way!
TheOnlyKieran wrote:That's it. Lots of crushed dreams!
I'm definitively interested :lol:
TheOnlyKieran wrote:The common path is at around 12,000 words, and I'd expect the game to total somewhere around 70,000. Lots to go!
I wonder how long the VN will be with 70,000 words. Guess I have to wait for the demo to get an idea :wink:

Good luck!

TheOnlyKieran
Regular

Re: Impulse! [BxG] [BxB] [Drama]

#10 Post by TheOnlyKieran »

Bumpity bump. My how things have changed! tl;dr I'm now a licensed Wii U developer, so am looking to launch on that platform as soon as possible, programming hiccups aside.

TheOnlyKieran
Regular

Re: Impulse! [BxG] [Drama] [Murder Mystery]

#11 Post by TheOnlyKieran »

Bump! Greenlight, Demo on 9/25 & trailer!