When making creative commons!

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
lovebby
Regular
Deviantart: lovebby

When making creative commons!

#1 Post by lovebby »

For a while now I've been wanting to do some creative commons, and I've having a rough time with my own games so I figure maybe trying to draw some resources might help motivate me more!

So my question is what creative commons would interest you or if you don't use any think would be helpful?
I can't do anything like GUI or anything, so suggestions for characters would be best.

I would really like to do more fantasy and magical stuff rather than modern and school uniform type things, but all suggestions and input would be awesome!
Mmm, hoping to release a number of sprites with many different outfits!

Edit, below are some attachments of messy arts I did trying to see how many poses I could make of the poses from a thighup. Feel free to comment on those, what's good about them and what needs work on etc! (warning they are rather large;;)
Attachments
and another example.
and another example.
in case anyone's curious about how they'd look, but neater and actual colors aha.
in case anyone's curious about how they'd look, but neater and actual colors aha.
Last edited by lovebby on Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jate
Regular
Deviantart: Jate8D

Re: When making creative commons!

#2 Post by Jate »

I haven't seen many gender ambiguous cc sprites, so that may be something people would appreciate more of. They can suit a variety of needs: tomboy, feminine guy, some non-binary/genderqueer types, someone trying to disguise themselves as another gender, etc.

I think just the fact that you're interested in settings other than modern will mean you're going to fill a demand, because most cc sprites have the modern/school theme you mentioned.

One thing I would suggest is releasing them in sets of two or three instead of individually. While I've got no experience with it as I do my own character art, I imagine a big challenge is finding sprites that will work well together.

It's great that you want to give people some free resources ^^

lovebby
Regular
Deviantart: lovebby

#3 Post by lovebby »

Ah ambiguity would definitely be something I should try! All for more gender neutrals in vns~

Haha i'm hoping so! It can also be a bit of a flop idea is there's no real interest aha. But I'm hoping! And I've been wanting to do this anyways aha!

Hrm, that's a pretty smart idea, having more than just one released at a time, I have seen people asking around for more sprites of the same style so I'll try to keep them in bundles.

And aha thanks~ This site has helped me a lot with all things renpy so I'd like to give a little back you know!

Didules
Veteran
Completed: Sophie, Midnight's Café, The Phantom of the Hospital
Projects: SchizoValentine
Organization: Hidden Masquerade
Tumblr: hidden-masquerade

#4 Post by Didules »

As Jate said, saying you'd rather do fantasy/magical stuff means your resources will definitely be useful!

Releasing the sprites by 2-3 is also great as it means that with only one "set" people will be able to make a game, whereas only one sprite means...waiting for others in order to have coherent character (art-style-wise I mean).

your art style is interesting as it isn't the "random-anime" style, moreover you really get the height differences well, which is great! Your CC resources have everything so that they'll become a hit! ;)

You wrote that you wanted to do numerous sprite with many outfits, however I'd advise you to do 2-3 outfits for each character, in order not to spend all your time on one sprite and then not be motivated enough for the other sprites outfits :lol: (The main issue when doing a huge CC-resources set is motivation, trust me...)

Gender-ambiguous character would be good as said below, as well as "manly men" I think. Almost all male characters in the CC part of the forum are teenage bishonen; which is a shame because it means there are no real look-diversity. We lack muscles, goatee, beard, whatever, something really manly! And age diversity lacks too. CC-characters are often between 15-25 Y.O.....

As a fellow CC-artist (though my most recent stuff are still a secret), I wish you good luck!! :)