Is This the Life? [BxG, KN]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ebi-hime
Veteran
Completed: Asphyxia, Blackberry Honey, The Language of Love, etc
Tumblr: ebi-hime
itch: ebihime

Is This the Life? [BxG, KN]

#1 Post by ebi-hime »

Is This the Life?

It's frustrating. One thing goes wrong in your life, just one, and all of a sudden everyone starts treating you like a freak. A weirdo. A loser.

Story:
Fifteen year old Louis Lacroix is depressed.
Ever since he had a nervous breakdown in class and punched his old maths teacher in the face his life has been a successive string of disasters, one after the other.
Moved from his old maths class into a class for ‘sensitive’ children who require extra attention, he meets Miss Lemaire, a pretty young teacher who’s only been working at his school for a couple of years.
Though Louis passed by her in the hallways before, he never spoke to her. Not until now. Soon, however, Louis begins to wish it had stayed that way.
There’s nothing more painful than an unrequited crush, after all – particularly one on your teacher.

Screenshots:

Details:
Is This the Life? is a short, kinetic VN around 20k words long.
Some of the characters use ableist terms, so I feel I should warn for that in case it upsets anyone.
The sprites were done by the talented Abuelitaland.

It can be downloaded for windows, mac, and linux here~

Notes:
This story was mainly written to challenge myself.
I find writing 1st person narrators hard, and most of my narrators tend to be quite bland and 'nice', so I wanted to try to write a different kind of narrator.
I also wanted to see if I could write as a convincing teenage boy (I find writing male characters hard, too). It would be nice to know if I was successful with this or not n_n
Also, if you find any errors or typos, I would appreciate it if you let me know! <3
Last edited by ebi-hime on Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have a lot of free & commercial VNs available on Steam and itchio.io if you want to check them out! ☆

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Is This the Life? [BxG, KN]

#2 Post by philip »

@ebi-hime-

When I saw your name, I just KNEW that I would like this! So I downloaded it and played through - and sure enough, I was right.
Without giving much away to someone who has not yet played, the beginning led me to believe there would be a certain outcome, and it wasn't until the very end that I discovered that I was WRONG! (happily)
This is very well done, if a bit dark at times, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Excellent job.

I did notice three or four minor grammar thingies, when I get a chance I will go back through and make a note of them and send them to you.

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

Electromancer
Regular
Completed: A New and Beautiful World [Ludum Dare 30], Lull [Ludum Dare 31], Palinurus [NaNoRenO 2015], Seeds of Sylvia [Secret Santa 2015], Fare Thee Well [NaNoRenO 2016]
Projects: Republic of Stories
Organization: Freelance

#3 Post by Electromancer »

BxG kinetic novels, my favorite kind / the kind I have the most experience with :P

I've been following you on Twitter for sometime and have been planning to check out your work, ebi-hime! This seems like it ought to be a nice opportunity to do so. I'll play it as soon as I can and get back to you.
Student activist. Son of immigrants. Published poet, author. Young but experienced freelance writer at $0.05/word, DM for portfolio. Buddhist. BLM.

ebi-hime
Veteran

#4 Post by ebi-hime »

@ phillip

Aw, thank you : > I'm glad you liked it! I think the writing of this was a little outside my comfort zone, given the personality of the protag, and the writing style feels a bit different (there's more vulgar language than usual in here), so I wasn't sure how well it would go down.
I did deliberately write the opening with the hope it would give people that impression haha XD But I wanted to turn it over in the end. The story is kind of grim but doesn't get that that grim XD
Thank you, that would be appreciated! I'm really awful at proofreading my own writing...

@ Electromancer

Thanks, I hope you'll enjoy it!
The writing style is a bit different to my usual writing style... So I hope it turned out ok n_n;;
I have a lot of free & commercial VNs available on Steam and itchio.io if you want to check them out! ☆

ebi-hime
Veteran

#5 Post by ebi-hime »

I edited the game to remove some incorrect spellings and odd punctuation. The changes are only minor, though.
Thank you philip for pointing these errors out to me! I really appreciate it! <3
The new DL link is in the original post.