Summoner Sweetheart [VN & RPG Dungeon Mix] [FREE]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
GrizelyBear
Regular

Re: Summoner Sweetheart [VN & RPG Dungeon Mix] [FREE]

#16 Post by GrizelyBear »

Hey thereee! I finally got around to finishing this game <3

Can I just say that I loved Daniel and Cyrus a lot? :> Daniel was such a sweetie pie, and Cyrus was so damn adorable. <3

The art is absolutely beautiful. I was surprised you changed the art of the female characters, but I welcomed it quite well. In fact, I believe the art suits the game more now! :D

Also, I like the fact that there are battles. I don't think a LoL fangame would be complete without it. Haha~ The pixel arts are also soooooo cute!

I did encounter a lot of bugs and crashes though (which is why it took me a while to finish it), but I'm sure you guys already know about it. They were a bit inconvenient, but it didn't stop me from enjoying the game. :)

Anyway, thank you very much for this wonderful game! Hope you keep it up~

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Starlight Dreamers, Mysterious Melody, Town of Memories, Marked, To Fly, The Change, Him From The Past, A Forgotten Memory
Projects: Cafe Mysteria

#17 Post by AsHLeX »

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "renpy/common/00action_file.rpy", line 328, in __call__
    renpy.load(fn)
TypeError: __init__() takes exactly 4 arguments (1 given)

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 29, in script
    $ ui.interact()
  File "C:\Users\Joshuaywl\Downloads\SummonerSweetheart-winfix\SummonerSweetheart-winfix\renpy\ast.py", line 785, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "C:\Users\Joshuaywl\Downloads\SummonerSweetheart-winfix\SummonerSweetheart-winfix\renpy\python.py", line 1382, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 29, in <module>
    $ ui.interact()
  File "C:\Users\Joshuaywl\Downloads\SummonerSweetheart-winfix\SummonerSweetheart-winfix\renpy\ui.py", line 247, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\Joshuaywl\Downloads\SummonerSweetheart-winfix\SummonerSweetheart-winfix\renpy\display\core.py", line 2149, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\Joshuaywl\Downloads\SummonerSweetheart-winfix\SummonerSweetheart-winfix\renpy\display\core.py", line 2750, in interact_core
    rv = root_widget.event(ev, x, y, 0)
  File "C:\Users\Joshuaywl\Downloads\SummonerSweetheart-winfix\SummonerSweetheart-winfix\renpy\display\layout.py", line 846, in event
    rv = i.event(ev, x - xo, y - yo, cst)
  File "C:\Users\Joshuaywl\Downloads\SummonerSweetheart-winfix\SummonerSweetheart-winfix\renpy\display\layout.py", line 846, in event
  File "C:\Users\Joshuaywl\Downloads\SummonerSweetheart-winfix\SummonerSweetheart-winfix\renpy\display\screen.py", line 626, in event
    rv = self.child.event(ev, x, y, st)
  File "C:\Users\Joshuaywl\Downloads\SummonerSweetheart-winfix\SummonerSweetheart-winfix\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 762, in event
    return handle_click(self.clicked)
  File "C:\Users\Joshuaywl\Downloads\SummonerSweetheart-winfix\SummonerSweetheart-winfix\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 705, in handle_click
    rv = run(action)
  File "C:\Users\Joshuaywl\Downloads\SummonerSweetheart-winfix\SummonerSweetheart-winfix\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 274, in run
    return var(*args, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/common/00action_file.rpy", line 328, in __call__
    renpy.load(fn)
  File "C:\Users\Joshuaywl\Downloads\SummonerSweetheart-winfix\SummonerSweetheart-winfix\renpy\loadsave.py", line 573, in load
    roots, log = loads(location.load(filename))
  File "C:\Users\Joshuaywl\Downloads\SummonerSweetheart-winfix\SummonerSweetheart-winfix\renpy\loadsave.py", line 51, in loads
    return pickle.loads(s)
  File "/home/tom/ab/x64lucid-deps/install/lib/python2.7/pickle.py", line 1382, in loads
  File "/home/tom/ab/x64lucid-deps/install/lib/python2.7/pickle.py", line 858, in load
  File "/home/tom/ab/x64lucid-deps/install/lib/python2.7/pickle.py", line 1133, in load_reduce
TypeError: __init__() takes exactly 4 arguments (1 given)

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.18.3.761
Summoner Sweetheart 1.0
I seem to keep getting this error when I try to load. (Like I save during the map)

Great graphics, no idea how to get the game endings (and I don't get the combos either) so dunno about the plot.

Only thing that irks me is the constant crashing.

Edit: I thought the game was good. I really did. Love the interface especially. Even though I don't play LOL, I still think it's worth a shot. Trying to figure out how to get the endings though. Congrats on the release :)
Last edited by AsHLeX on Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#18 Post by SundownKid »

I have been getting that loading crash as well. For some reason all of my saves stopped working after that so I think it could be considered a game-breaking bug.

Anyway, I read the post mortem and I disagree about the game being better if it was solely a visual novel. I think that the game part, however simplistic, gives it a feel that is important in a game about people playing a game. I would say that it was a good idea to try to get the game part working even if it took a lot of extra time.

I would also argue that the game came out really, really well for a zero-budget game. Sure it has some issues, but I think by calling it not fantastic you are comparing it to games with thousands of dollars in budget, which is like comparing apples and oranges. It just needs some more ironing out of glitches.

One part that I thought could be quickly improved greatly is the "You Win" dialogue in the battle scenes. It would be better with a popping in banner using ATL. For example, you could add this code instead:

transform windialog:
     alpha 0.0 zoom 0.5 xalign 0.5 yalign 0.5 xanchor 0.5 yanchor 0.5
     linear 1.0 alpha 1.0 zoom 1.0
     linear 1.0 zoom 1.2
     linear 0.5 alpha 0.0

screen windialog:
     add "windialog.png" at windialog

label game:
     # player wins the game
     show screen windialog
     $ renpy.pause(2.5)
     hide screen windialog

BigSteps
Projects: Summoner Sweetheart
Tumblr: bigstepsvn
Deviantart: bigstepsvn

#19 Post by BigSteps »

@GrizelyBear:
Thank you so much! And me too! I love all the guys a lot; I can't choose a favorite ;___; Probably leaning towards Daniel though. Hehe.

Sorry to hear about the inconvenience of our bugs. Yea, we've been noting the ones that have been reported. Our coder is pretty burned out, but he'll be tackling them slowly. :)

Thanks a lot for playing <3

@AsHLeX:
Sorry about the crashes! Is it in the dungeon? I haven't heard too much about crashes during the visual novel. 90% of the crashes in the dungeon is caused by pressing q/w/e/r buttons at the same time. When you're attacking, be sure to only press one button at a time. If it's a crash from loading, we have a separate dungeon save patch on our itch.io. You'll need to download that file and put it into the game directory (which will replace a previous file). It *should* work, but if it doesn't, please let me know!

Thanks for the traceback! Will be pushing that over to our dev.

Here's a guide someone wrote for Ezreal

As for tips on getting an ending:
- Focus on interacting on just 1 character. Make sure you go through ALL the scenes with that character before the end of day 7. Each character has roughly 5-8 scenes, so try to get through them.
- Your dialogue choices affect how many relationship points you get. If you choose a dialogue option that the character doesn't like, you can lose points. You can check your relationship point meter (RP meter) by clicking on the book icon on the upper left-hand corner.
- Go through the dungeon a few times (even if there are some bugs). It'll increase points with all the characters if you do.

It's possible to find/defeat the hacker AND get a happy ending with a girl/boy as long as you focus your time well!

Good luck and thank you for playing even through all your frustrations!

@SundownKid:
If it's a crash from loading, we have a separate dungeon save patch on our itch.io. You'll need to download that file and put it into the game directory (which will replace a previous file). It *should* work, but if it doesn't, please let me know!

I think the amount of work put into making the visual novel and dungeon look fantastic is phenomenal. The only problem is the game design. There wasn't a dedicated team for building mechanics and balanced game play and as a result, it was lacking. There are tons of indie game devs that go on a $0 budget and develop for months - even years - and come out with a solid game play.

It was my fault for not taking into consideration the need for dedicated mechanics. The visual novel, as well, could have used a lot more work. There's a lot of issues with voice overs, functionalities of some features, and just general polish. I say this because if you look at a lot of the other NaNoRenO entries like The Blind Griffin and Cute Demon Crashers, their polish is superb and amazingly impressive. We weren't even able to squeeze in a tutorial for those who are unfamiliar with visual novels (and our main audience didn't even know what a VN was) >__<. We spread ourselves too thin, focusing on making 2 good games into 1, which wouldn't be possible especially in a game jam. And that's because I overshot and hoped for too big of a dream in a short timeframe.

But even though I say that, I am completely proud of what we put together. Just March alone, we spent over 300 hours working on the game. It was an amazing journey and a great game came out of it, albeit greatly unpolished. :)

Edit: Woops! Posted on the Big Steps account haha

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Starlight Dreamers, Mysterious Melody, Town of Memories, Marked, To Fly, The Change, Him From The Past, A Forgotten Memory
Projects: Cafe Mysteria

#20 Post by AsHLeX »

Thanks for the information!! I'll try it again haha.
And yeah, all of the crashes was during the dungeon actually. Sorry I forgot to mention that earlier. I'll check out the patch and see how it goes.
Game's pretty good actually especially since it was completed to quickly.
And despite the crashing I still like the mini-game :)
New demo out 24/12/23!!

FjärilPrincess
Regular

#21 Post by FjärilPrincess »

As of currently,I could not make it through the entire game,unfortunately. This was due to the plethora of crashes that I have encountered. I would,let's say,save at certain points and the game would not be able to load my data. Honestly,this led me to ragequit. I tried to replay multiple times but it got tedious,after a while. However,enough of me being a lame Debby Downer. LETMEJUSTSAYTHATWHATIHAVEPLAYEDWASOMFAMAZING. much amaze very good. Okay,back to being,even moderately,serious. The art was simply gorgeous. I enjoyed what I played,thus far. The storyline was addicting,which is why I didn't want to give up playing,even with the many crashes. The 'RPG' part was really easy to follow and not too challenging. Highlighted word: too;). On to characters,they were all really well thought out,I suppose. Albeit,I really didn't get attached to them. This was probably because I wasn't able to make it to even the fourth day? I am not sure. Anyway,CYRUS IS FAVE. CYRUS IS BAE. CYRUS IS LOVE,CYRUS IS LIFE. YOU GUYS DID SOMETHING GREAT. I HOPE YOU KNOW YOU ACHIEVED EVERY LIFE GOAL BY CYRUS. CYRUS. C Y R U S. Okay,yeah,I'll stop. Overall,tbh,I really liked this game:-). I hope to see more games! Keep at it,good luck xx. (Also,I forgot to mention,but: the voice acting was top notch! I really found them pleasing to the ear,haha. Thanks for making this even a thing,everyone who participated in the creation of this game :-)!)
"Hey,stranger. I want you to catch me like a cold." - Panic! At The Disco,Hurricane.

wifom
Regular

#22 Post by wifom »

@Ashlex: Thanks! ; w ; Hopefully it goes a little smoother this time.

@FjarilPrincess: Sorry about the crashes. :( It's something that we're currently working on. We do have a couple solutions to some of the mini-game (dungeon) crashes.

1) If you're crashing during the dungeon, be sure NOT to press q/w/e/r at the same time. Press those buttons one at a time. Pressing multiple at one moment will make it crash.

2) If you're saving while you're inside the dungeon, you'll need to download the separate "Dungeon save patch," which you'll need to put inside the game directory. That'll allow you to load from inside the dungeon.

Hope that helps! And thank you very much for your comments. :)

mionhax

#23 Post by mionhax »

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
TypeError: list indices must be integers, not str

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "script00.rpyc", line 513, in script call
  File "script00.rpyc", line 568, in script call
  File "scriptDungeon.rpyc", line 4, in script call
  File "scriptDungeon.rpyc", line 4, in script call
  File "scriptDungeon.rpyc", line 12, in script call
  File "scriptDungeon.rpyc", line 4, in script
  File "D:\SummonerSweetheart-winfix\renpy\ast.py", line 1408, in execute
    next_node(self.items[choice][2][0])
TypeError: list indices must be integers, not str

Windows-7-6.1.7600
Ren'Py 6.18.3.761
Summoner Sweetheart 1.0
what should i do with this T^T when in DG i can't see the character
Attachments
screenshot0001.png

DrivenByTheWind

#24 Post by DrivenByTheWind »

As an avid League player and coincidentally an Otome lover, I absolutely CANNOT wait to play this! <333

Thank you for existing and creating something that combines my two favorite things! :)

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

#25 Post by MimirollCookie »

Downloading right now....
I'll make a review after i test it!!
"If they can do it, you can do it too! make them do it. They can do it, right?" :lol:
Getting a new laptop. Hopefully going back to VN making! (BWAHAHA)

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

#26 Post by MimirollCookie »

Well, nice work on the dungeon
good GUI
It was nice overall!
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!
"If they can do it, you can do it too! make them do it. They can do it, right?" :lol:
Getting a new laptop. Hopefully going back to VN making! (BWAHAHA)

rgbvscb
Projects: The Next World; Lake of Voices;
Tumblr: morethan24hours
Deviantart: rgbvscb

#27 Post by rgbvscb »

Well, i'll start by saying that i really enjoyed your game! It's trully amazing in so many ways!

Tho i have a problem with the Gifting part: No matter what i find and whom i talk to the gift is always the hammer, even tho i have the rubix and sketches as well, and even tho they seem to be better gifts, the MC always choses the hammer?

Oh and btw the ending part, were it says something like "sorry you didn't get the ending you want", kinda made me confused? I couldn't really understand: did i get the good ending or no?

Apart from that, great job with the game!

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#28 Post by Lesleigh63 »

I've played through once but was too wishy-washy with my choices to get very far before I ran out of time and the game ended (didn't even get to the dungeon).

I like the story and the art so far.

Think you're being a little hard on yourself - the game looks very good to me for what you were trying to achieve.

wifom
Regular

#29 Post by wifom »

Sorry for the late reply! > . <;;

@mionhax: Unfortunately, we don't know why some people don't see the characters ;_; We had an e-mail from someone who said if they pressed the keys q/w/e/r, they would hear sounds and it would move on like normal? (Or maybe that e-mail was from you? haha)

@DrivenByTheWind: Ahahahah! Me too! I love them both as well > w < Thank you for such kind words! Q u Q <3

@MimirollCookie: Fuwaaaahhh~ Thanks a bunchhh! That means a lot!! ; u ;

@rgbvscb: Thank you!! As for the gifting - yea, the coders changed the way I originally wanted it to be programmed. They only included like 1 or 2 chances of gifting each person throughout the entire story, so if you don't have the gift by then or miss it, you won't get a chance to gift them throughout the entire game. ;___; ...

Also, for the ending, the coders forgot to take that part out as well ... ><; If you got a CG, then you did get a "happy" ending. Hope that helps!

@Lesleigh63: Aw! I'm sorry to hear that. T__T;; But thank you very much! I'm really flattered and am proud of what we were able to get done! C:

Laera-chan
Regular
Projects: HeART Thief; Beauty and the Brothers: The Beginning; For Better or Worse; An Otaku's Guide to Santa's Reindeer
Organization: Moonlight Avenue, Inc.; Anomalis

#30 Post by Laera-chan »

So, I've played through Cyrus and Jayce's routes, and I must admit, Cyrus is my fave. He's just... gah! Adorable and annoying yet sweet. It's cute. The only one I've had trouble with is Daniel. I've played through 6 times trying to get him, and I just can't. I get his rp up to max, or at least, nearly max, but still nothing. I can't ever seem to give him the sketch, either. The first time I ever played, I managed to give him the rubik the second time I clicked his face on the map, so is that the only time you can successfully give him something? The other times I've tried, I've clicked "Present time!" but it just says he or I walk away, without giving him the present. Any suggestions for getting Daniel's CG? I really want to see it!