Monogatari, a modern Ren'py-like Web VN Engine

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
hyuchia
Organization: Hyuchia
Github: HyuchiaDiego

Monogatari, a modern Ren'py-like Web VN Engine

#1 Post by hyuchia »

Monogatari
Monogatari is not just another web VN engine, I've seen many engines for the web, but none where exactly what I wanted, Monogatari features almost the same syntax as Ren'py, so exporting games to the web is incredibly easy and it is written using the latest HTML5, CSS3 and Javascript Features.

The time we live in is amazing, there are lots of different devices, screens etc. that's why Monogatari is Responsive, it adapts to any screen so everyone will be able to enjoy your game, no matter what device they are on, besides since it's web based, they won't have to download anything, however it's not only limited to web, you'll also be able to create desktop and mobile apps!

Features
  • Multiple Save and Load Slots
  • Ren'py-like syntax
  • Multi-Language Support
  • Support for Music, Voice and Sounds
  • Any Image the browser supports can be used for sprites or backgrounds. (Yeah, including animated GIFs and SVG)
Browser Support
  • Chrome
  • Safari
  • Firefox
  • Maxthon
  • Vivaldi
  • Midori
Desktop App Support
  • Windows
  • Linux
  • Mac OS X
The vision

Monogatari has been created with a purpose, to take visual novels to the next level, to make it easy for developers, artists and writers to extend their VN functionality, integrate it with more web services, create games with features that no one has ever imagined.

Try it

You can try the demo https://monogatari.io/demo/

Start Creating

Monogatari's release 1.1.0 is up now, go to https://github.com/Monogatari/Monogatari/releases to download it.

Stay in Touch
If you like this project and you're interested on it, you can follow it on Twitter https://twitter.com/monogatari

Contribute

Monogatari is an open-source project released under the MIT License, and if you want to get involve and contribute, you can visit the GitHub page: https://github.com/Monogatari/Monogatari

It is time for Visual Novels to evolve...
Last edited by hyuchia on Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SinnyROM
Regular
Projects: Blue Birth
Organization: Cosmic Static Games

Re: Monogatari, a modern Ren'py-like Web VN Engine

#2 Post by SinnyROM »

Very nice. I'm more used to Javascript programming so I'm glad to see a recent VN framework based around web technologies. I'll give Monogatari a try when I have the chance. Thanks for your hard work!

hyuchia

#3 Post by hyuchia »

SinnyROM wrote:Very nice. I'm more used to Javascript programming so I'm glad to see a recent VN framework based around web technologies. I'll give Monogatari a try when I have the chance. Thanks for your hard work!
Appreciated!, contact me if you have any doubts or problems :)

HiddenCreature
Regular
Projects: Vampire: The New Birth

#4 Post by HiddenCreature »

I can't finish the demo. When it gets to the part where it shows the video, it won't let me progress. I have Windows XP and can't download the latest versions of Java, so maybe that's why.

Also, what programs do I have to download to begin using this? I can't open the files.

hyuchia

#5 Post by hyuchia »

HiddenCreature wrote:I can't finish the demo. When it gets to the part where it shows the video, it won't let me progress. I have Windows XP and can't download the latest versions of Java, so maybe that's why.

Also, what programs do I have to download to begin using this? I can't open the files.
I sent you a PM to see what's up :)

trinax08
Deviantart: trinaxfantasy

#6 Post by trinax08 »

This looks interesting! But is this still updated regularly? I'm thinking of using your VN engine to start up a visual novel.

hyuchia

#7 Post by hyuchia »

trinax08 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:39 am This looks interesting! But is this still updated regularly? I'm thinking of using your VN engine to start up a visual novel.
Hi! it is being updated regularly indeed :) Actually I have to update the website address on the post but you can find out everything in here: https://monogatari.io/

Thanks for considering Monogatari for your game and sorry this reply took too long, I don't seem to get notifications when a comment is added. If you have any problem or doubt, please send me an email :D

2_an
Regular

Can you do a step-by-step tutorial, please??

#8 Post by 2_an »

Hi all.

Been learning the monogatari syntax, I created a short game for a test with several functions, very simple.
(Observed that Monogatari did not work in the Microsoft Edge browser)

My problem was that I can not publish on the web. I tried to host the files on google drive. But I have no more knowledge about publishing the game.

Can you do a step-by-step tutorial, mainly to publish on the web, please?

PD: My knowledge for websites is small.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: Can you do a step-by-step tutorial, please??

#9 Post by fleet »

2_an wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:07 pm Hi all.

Been learning the monogatari syntax, I created a short game for a test with several functions, very simple.

My problem was that I can not publish on the web. I tried to host the files on google drive. But I have no more knowledge about publishing the game.

Hi.If by publish on the web, do you mean playable on line?
If your game is played thru a web browser you can upload your zip file (the entire game compressed into one zip file) to newgrounds dot com. I think free registration is required to upload.
I've uploaded several of my adult visual novels there.
I wish you success.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

hyuchia

Re: Can you do a step-by-step tutorial, please??

#10 Post by hyuchia »

2_an wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:07 pm Hi all.

Hola! Creo que... hablas español también cierto? Persona por la tardanza! :OO A veces olvido que no me llegan las notificaciones de aquí. Google drive no admite que subas una página web y la puedan ver desde ahí, para ello necesitarías un servidor, que bien puede ser de un hosting como Namecheap, godaddy etc. en el que puedes subir los archivos. Además necesitarías comprar un dominio. Claro que como ya mencionaro, también puedes subirlo a páginas como itch.io y newgrounds, donde hasta donde sé, alojarán tu juego gratuitamente y todos lo podrán jugar :)

In case you did not speak spanish and I was confused XD Google drive does not admit you hosting a website on it and serving it through there, instead, you'll need a server, which you can get from Namechea, godaddy or others of the sorts and where you'll be able to upload your files. Of course, you'd need a web domain as well. As others pointed out, you can also upload your game to sites like itch.io or newgrounds and the'll host your game for free as far as I know and people will be able to play it from there :)

2_an
Regular

Ty!,yes..I´m spanish

#11 Post by 2_an »

Hello, it's true, I speak Spanish, although there are rules here to speak a single language.

I continue with my poor knowledge about hosting web, server..etc. Although I understand that this forum is not to ask about that topic.

Thank you for responding and congratulations for your Engine of visual novels, Monogatari.
Although, for me, it is something more complex to understand its javascript structure. It seems like an excellent job.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Ty!,yes..I´m spanish

#12 Post by Zelan »

2_an wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:28 amHello, it's true, I speak Spanish, although there are rules here to speak a single language.
Just wanted to hop in and let you know that according to the official forum rules it is acceptable to converse in a language other than English as long as an English translation is provided (to ensure that what you are saying is allowed by forum rules). (: