Experienced Writer and Director for Hire

Forum rules
Never bump threads. Per rule 16, updates may be posted once every 2 months. Per rule 18, disclose generative AI use when creating/updating a thread. Violating these rules may led to thread deletion.
Jiro Horikoshi
Regular

Experienced Writer and Director for Hire

#1 Post by Jiro Horikoshi »

Greetings Lemmasoft.

Hello. I go by the online name Jiro Horikoshi, who has been my favorite male Ghibli character ever since Kaze Tachinu was released. Previously, my favorite was San from Princess Mononoke, but I could relate to Kaze Tachinu much more easily as a student so Jiro pushed San down to second place!

I would like to publicly inform anyone who might be reading this that I am an experienced writer and director available for work. Currently I am working with some of Pixiv's globally ranked artists as well as select former members of Dischan Media. While I must abstain from releasing my work due to its sensitive nature, I specialize in descriptive journalism as well as dialogue and am an avid fan of good literature. Seeing that the disillusioned public opinion describes a market overflooded with low-quality projects with primarily secular motives, I am willing to offer my experience and dedication to any who might be looking for a professional touch to their projects. My girlfriend being Japanese and myself being Korean living in the United States, I can also comfortably claim knowledge of many conventions and traditions within the Asian Countries.

Last but not least, I would like to stress that I will be joining projects not from payment but based on qualification. If your team is capable and you have an interesting concept (among a multitude of other factors,) I will choose you over a fanservice cult such as Winged Cloud. You get the idea. ;)

Given my current status as a student and a journalist and the nature of my current work, I will not be posting samples of my work publicly or privately. I will, however, be more than happy to create a short sample for you upon demand after we have shown interest in each other.

Thank you very much for reading and I wish you all the very best. Please feel free to drop me a Private Message or reply to this thread if you're interested.

Sincerely,

Jiro Horikoshi

Barzini
Regular
Projects: Seat of Power, Our Final Moments, A More Beautiful World, Forgotten, Not Lost
Organization: Afterthought Studios
Tumblr: letsafterthoughtstudios

Re: Experienced Writer and Director for Hire

#2 Post by Barzini »

“But remember this, Japanese boy... airplanes are not tools for war. They are not for making money. Airplanes are beautiful dreams. Engineers turn dreams into reality.”

Welcome to the Lemma Soft Forums! :) May I know what are your actual rates for working on a project?
Founder of Afterthought Studios

Working on:
A More Beautiful World
Forgotten, Not Lost
Our Final Moments
Seat of Power

Jiro Horikoshi
Regular

#3 Post by Jiro Horikoshi »

"Things fell apart in the end. And the airplanes...not one of them returned. Not a single one."
"Well, there was nothing to return to."

Hello Barzini. I'm willing to work for free as long as I feel the project has credible and talented members. I'll be judging solely based on project quality and viability so even if you can't pay me a cent, you still have an equal opportunity! I'm even willing to bring in talented staff from my personal connections as long as I feel it's worth my time.

OneManArmy77

#4 Post by OneManArmy77 »

Sent you a PM!

Jiro Horikoshi
Regular

#5 Post by Jiro Horikoshi »

Thank you very much to all who have contacted me. I've replied to all private messages that I have received so far.

MegaElla
Regular

#6 Post by MegaElla »

I PMed you, Hope you can work with us

Jiro Horikoshi
Regular

#7 Post by Jiro Horikoshi »

I'd like to publicly acknowledge that I haven't made any decisions just yet but will be making one by this weekend.
As usual, thank you to everyone who PM'ed me--I received six invitations as of this writing.

Jiro Horikoshi
Regular

#8 Post by Jiro Horikoshi »

Updating this post since people questioned me recently with regards to my availability.
I was indeed originally taken by a project and was planning to work with the team, but due to unforseen circumstances the team was disbanded and I do have a bit more free time in my schedule right now (apart from my main project, which is always ongoing.)

If you'd like to discuss about what I can potentially bring to the table for you, please don't hesitate to drop me a PM or post a reply on this thread. I am available for one (1) more project at the moment via a part-time committment; as usual, project quality will have precedence over the pay available.

I look forward to working with all the creative spirits Lemmasoft has to offer!

Rozume
Veteran
Completed: Munster Academy, boy
Projects: Coming of Age VN
Organization: Cosmic Visual
IRC Nick: Rozume

#9 Post by Rozume »

Hey Jiro, welcome to the forums!

It's great that you're offering your services (and for the special price of free!) however I do find it odd that for an experienced writer/director you do not have a portfolio of past work to show. I understand that the projects you're working on are most likely under an NDA, but in order for people to gauge your skills you need to provide a portfolio of sorts. I know that you do say that you'll provide a short sample on demand but honestly one sample isn't enough for someone to fully gauge your skills.

In addition, you say you'll work for free based on qualification... what does that mean? What does being capable and interesting mean to you? Furthermore, you also mention a "multitude" of other factors so what would be those factors?

I apologize if I seem skeptical, but I feel that when someone says that they are experienced and professional they need to back up those statements and share as much as they can upfront.

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#10 Post by Rinima »

Jiro Horikoshi wrote:former members of Dischan Media
May I inquire as to whom?
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Jiro Horikoshi
Regular

#11 Post by Jiro Horikoshi »

Combatplayer and rtil. Jeremy has apparently given up on Gamedev entirely and Doomfest explicitly stated that he won't be doing Visual Novels anymore.

(also bumping this thread up to give it some more exposure)

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#12 Post by Rinima »

Jiro Horikoshi wrote:Combatplayer and rtil. Jeremy has apparently given up on Gamedev entirely and Doomfest explicitly stated that he won't be doing Visual Novels anymore.

(also bumping this thread up to give it some more exposure)
That's impressive, well done on getting on board with them two. It's a shame about Jeremy, he might not have been much of a leader, but he knew how to tell a story, and Doomfest for that matter, his art was stunning in VN form.
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Jiro Horikoshi
Regular

#13 Post by Jiro Horikoshi »

Not really. Swifdemon was in charge of the writing and Jeremy was just doing the programming part of things. I'd say his technical abilities are impressive but would be hesitant to say the same about his storytelling skills. On the other hand, I do agree--Doomfest's art was phenomenal. Aside from the fact that his personality is less than favorable, I definitely feel his departure from the medium is a great loss to the community.