Our War Everlasting [BXB][Romance][Action]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Your Royal Gayness, Love Bug, Lovingly Evil
Organization: Lizard Hazard Games
Tumblr: lizardhazardgames
itch: aviala

Our War Everlasting [BXB][Romance][Action]

#1 Post by Aviala »

Our War everlasting is a story about two soldiers who face the horrors of war and must learn to deal with the consequences together. It's a somewhat experimental KN art wise: there are no sprites, and only 4 colours have been used throughout the game.

There are about 30 CG's and 5000-6000 words. It should last something like 20 minutes.

This kinetic novel was made for the jam for gay marriage, which lasted something like 6 days (though I missed the first one). I wrote the story, did the art and most of the coding, though I had some help with the menus. My editor Shaples also helped with the editing and the music choices.

There are two versions available, so make sure you download the SAFE version if you're a minor.

Download it here at itch.io:
http://aviala.itch.io/our-war-everlasting

Last edited by Aviala on Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Heiden
Regular
Completed: Elvine, The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers, Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend, Beyond the Deep, The Bog's Heart, The Girl With the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A
Projects: The Town Pages, Kill the Prince?! [Nano 2020]
Tumblr: heidengames
itch: Heiden

Re: Our War Everlasting [BXB][Romance][Action]

#2 Post by Heiden »

I thought this was a very sad, yet sweet little game. I was glad to see that Seth and Taimi were able to find happiness together, even though it seemed that the world around them treated them harshly, even after the war had ended.

I also really liked the use of color, with the blacks, reds and whites (and the blue in Taimi's eyes~), it made the game look very unique.

Good job on finishing and I'm eagerly looking forward to anything else you make! :)
Completed: Elvine (GxB), The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers (GxG)(As Writer, Coder), Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend (BxB), Beyond the Deep (GxB)(As Artist), The Bog's Heart, The Girl with the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A.

All available to play on my itch.io page!

Steamgirl
Veteran
Completed: My Cup of Coffee, Queen at Arms (co-wrote a battle scene)
Projects: Stranded Hearts, Emma: A Lady's Maid
Deviantart: steamgirlgame

#3 Post by Steamgirl »

Wow! Given the short amount of time, this is a really impressive piece of art! I don't tend to play KNs but gave this a go and I don't regret it! The variety of art and the art direction made it really stand out. I felt the progonists and the world were alive, their sad story reaching a satisfying ending. I love the rough art and the simple choice of colours, it's unexpectedly very evocative, it suits the story very well and makes the novel memorable. The only thing that would have made me like it more is if there were choices in it (but that's my preference for VNs over KNs) - even just one choice would have made a difference. All in all, beautiful piece of work!

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Aviala »

Thanks for playing and commenting, I really appreciate it.

The use of colours and a simplified style was a design choice I found extremely useful because it allowed me to create much more art than any other style would allow, plus it fit the theme. It's very different from what I usually do so it was really fun. Someday I want to do something with a similar style again.

I actually wanted to include choices but I felt that finishing all the CG's and polishing the KN were more important. I'm happy with what I did, though also a bit sad I didn't have time to do everything I wanted to.

Steamgirl
Veteran
Completed: My Cup of Coffee, Queen at Arms (co-wrote a battle scene)
Projects: Stranded Hearts, Emma: A Lady's Maid
Deviantart: steamgirlgame

#5 Post by Steamgirl »

Aviala wrote:I actually wanted to include choices but I felt that finishing all the CG's and polishing the KN were more important. I'm happy with what I did, though also a bit sad I didn't have time to do everything I wanted to.
I know what you mean! Game Jams are so great because you can make something under time pressure and get it out there, but they are a bit painful after the fact, because the game is never "complete". There are always little things, or even big things sometimes, that I want to change. But hey, that's what post-jam versions are for. :)

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Aviala »

Steamgirl wrote:
Aviala wrote:I actually wanted to include choices but I felt that finishing all the CG's and polishing the KN were more important. I'm happy with what I did, though also a bit sad I didn't have time to do everything I wanted to.
I know what you mean! Game Jams are so great because you can make something under time pressure and get it out there, but they are a bit painful after the fact, because the game is never "complete". There are always little things, or even big things sometimes, that I want to change. But hey, that's what post-jam versions are for. :)
It would be cool to make a version with choices but if I want to do that it'll have to be later - I actually put too much strain on my wrist during the jam so now my carpal tunnel syndrome is acting up and i have wrist pains. It was worth it but now I really need to take care of myself. Maybe once I'm feeling better I'll make a version of OWE with choices - or If I don't feel like working on it after my break anymore I'll work on something else.

What I'm sure of, though, is that you haven't seen the last of me :D

Ertal77
Veteran
Completed: A Hand in the Darkness, Chasing the Stars, My Burning Heart, Blood and Lust, Lurkers, Jolly Roger, The Remainder, The Manor, Night and Day
Projects: Deep in the Forest and Exes Assault!!
Organization: Ertal Games
Tumblr: ertalgames
itch: ertal-games
Discord: Ertal#0394

#7 Post by Ertal77 »

I finally got to play it the other day, after having the game in my downloads folder for months, and I can say I regret now not playing it as soon as I got it: the story is moving, the development of the characters really warm and nice, and you end it wanting to know more about their world, about what's exactly going on out there.

You know, at first I thought this was set in WWI, because of the trenches, but afterwards, thinking about it, I suppose you either have a lore about their world or this war represents all the useful, endless wars, in every country.
Do you like BL games? Then join Ertal Games' Discord!

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Aviala »

Thank you! :) I left the setting a bit vague on purpose because it doesn't really matter where the story happens, I just wanted to focus on the war and the characters. There wasn't time to do a lot of worldbuilding since the jam was so short.
For some reason, the loss of a limb is a common theme in my characters especially from around the time I made OWE, maybe because I've had chronic wrist pains that affect my work. I'm glad I got to experiment with those themes in this game.

It's been a while since I made the game so I think I'm actually gonna download and play it myself!

P.S. I fixed the images in the opening post since photobucket had broken them. They're now hosted on imgur.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#9 Post by Zelan »

This was a really sweet game (or at least, the ending was). I'm glad that Seth and Taimi had each other to lean on despite everything else going against them during and after the war.

You did an awesome job on this, I really liked the limited color palette. The image of the two of them running with the blood on the path behind them might have been my favorite.

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Aviala »

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it! I remember having a lot of fun with the graphics and I'd like to do something with similar graphics in the future.