Our Wedding Plan [GxG][Sim][Romance][Game Jam]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Steamgirl
Veteran
Completed: My Cup of Coffee, Queen at Arms (co-wrote a battle scene)
Projects: Stranded Hearts, Emma: A Lady's Maid
Deviantart: steamgirlgame

Our Wedding Plan [GxG][Sim][Romance][Game Jam]

#1 Post by Steamgirl »

This is a rushed attempt at making a game for #jamforgaymarriage. It's fully playable but a little barren in places.

Download: http://dreamgate.itch.io/our-wedding-plan

---

Lucy and Josephine have been together for years. When a new law comes in, they're forced to plan their wedding in just 8 weeks! Will they be able to finish on time and secure their future?

Features:
- Decide what they do each day of the week: work, plan, relax, or sleep
- Decide the details of the wedding: rings, dresses, venue, and more
- Manage mood, energy, and balance in this lovely couple's life
- Work towards a happy ending, try to avoid the bad one

---

This game was made during the game jam which lasted about a week, but sadly I could only devote 1 day and a bit.
I plan to update this game in the future and polish it up. Suggestions for improvements are most welcome!
Last edited by Steamgirl on Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Your Royal Gayness, Love Bug, Lovingly Evil
Organization: Lizard Hazard Games
Tumblr: lizardhazardgames
itch: aviala

Re: Our Wedding Plan [GxG][Sim][Romance][Game Jam]

#2 Post by Aviala »

I really enjoyed the game!

Some thoughts:
-The gameplay was fun; I enjoy time management games
-The visuals were nice, they fit the apmosphere of the game.
-Music woud have been nice, but it worked fine without it.

-There were some bugs where the characters would say lines of code starting with ./
-It wasn't clear how to aquire balance and what it meant, it took me time to figure it that they needed to spend time together. But it was a really cool feature otherwise
-It wasn't always clear to me if the payment would be collected right away or later so I ended up with a lot of extra money at the end (at least I think so, that was also a bit unclear.)

-The writing was a bit rough at places. It would have been a bigger problem if the game focused only on the story, but here the focus was clearly more on the gameplay so it's understandable.
-I'm not a fan of writing accents into text too heavily. A mention that "this person speaks with a french accent" is enough for me. But this is just a matter of opinion, not a flaw, I think.

Overall, it was great, especially for a jam game. Also, please think of the more "negative" comments as ideas where you could improve, not as "I hated your game".

Steamgirl
Veteran

#3 Post by Steamgirl »

@Aviala
Thanks so much for your thoughtful feedback! It's so rewarding to read after finishing a game.
Aviala wrote: -There were some bugs where the characters would say lines of code starting with ./
Haha I wondered if that would look like a bug or not. It's actually Josephine programming at work, but I don't think that was very clear!
Aviala wrote: -It wasn't clear how to aquire balance and what it meant, it took me time to figure it that they needed to spend time together. But it was a really cool feature otherwise
It was called "love" initially, but I didn't want it to look like they love each other any more or less - love being more constant than that - whereas this stat, whatever it is, was a bit more day-to-day. Any suggestions for a better word? "Relationship" came to mind but it was a bit long.
Aviala wrote:-It wasn't always clear to me if the payment would be collected right away or later so I ended up with a lot of extra money at the end (at least I think so, that was also a bit unclear.)
Ohhh I made such a mess of this. I intended only for the venue to be payable on the day, and the rest up front, but as I was running out of time I piled a bunch of other things on top. I will definitely improve this in the next version! When you say you had a lot of extra money at the end but it was unclear - did you get the "checklist" scene? I think it had the stat bar in it, or did it not? Maybe at the end Josephine could comment that they still had £100 in the bank, or whatever, and if the money is more than £2000 they can go on a honeymoon?
Aviala wrote:-I'm not a fan of writing accents into text too heavily. A mention that "this person speaks with a french accent" is enough for me. But this is just a matter of opinion, not a flaw, I think.
I know what you mean, and yet at the same time I can't help it! I write how I hear the characters speak in my head - with slang, ums, pauses, dialect, accent and all. I had to hold myself back from writing "bujet" instead of "budget" and various other things - having resolved myself only to change the "th" to "z" and the "h" to '. But playing through it again I'm not entirely sure about it, whether it might be a bit too strong. Perhaps the odd "cherie" and "mon dieu" is really enough. Even though I know, being someone who speaks multiple languages, people don't really do that in real life.
Aviala wrote:Also, please think of the more "negative" comments as ideas where you could improve, not as "I hated your game".
Nevar! Honest critique all the way, cherie. ;) Thank you very much for taking the time!

Smudgeed
Regular
itch: smud

#4 Post by Smudgeed »

This game was very cute! I have to say, wedding planning is always fun when it isn't your wedding... And you made it all in a day? Great job!

I understand this game was done quickly but I think I would have liked more focus on the characters.. Maybe more on their relationship, they seemed like a very cute couple and I would liked to have seen more between them. If you plan on updating this, it might be good to take another look at the writing! Though, I know it's not the focus of the game. I enjoyed the wedding planning aspect of the game a lot too, though...I did fail the first time I played it...damn registry....

The "balance" was a little confusing at first, but after a while I figured it out. I particularly liked having Josephine's accent written out like that, since there's no voices it was easier for me to read it in my head with her accent. Though it was kind of the stereotypical "zis" and "'ave" kind of stuff, it still worked find for me. And your art was very cute as always!

Great job, I enjoyed it quite a bit :) RIP to the flowers that never got included in their wedding in my game...oh well....

Steamgirl
Veteran

#5 Post by Steamgirl »

Smudgeed wrote:This game was very cute! I have to say, wedding planning is always fun when it isn't your wedding... And you made it all in a day? Great job!

I understand this game was done quickly but I think I would have liked more focus on the characters.. Maybe more on their relationship, they seemed like a very cute couple and I would liked to have seen more between them. If you plan on updating this, it might be good to take another look at the writing! Though, I know it's not the focus of the game. I enjoyed the wedding planning aspect of the game a lot too, though...I did fail the first time I played it...damn registry....

The "balance" was a little confusing at first, but after a while I figured it out. I particularly liked having Josephine's accent written out like that, since there's no voices it was easier for me to read it in my head with her accent. Though it was kind of the stereotypical "zis" and "'ave" kind of stuff, it still worked find for me. And your art was very cute as always!

Great job, I enjoyed it quite a bit :) RIP to the flowers that never got included in their wedding in my game...oh well....
Thanks so much for taking the time to play the game! I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed it! I'll take all your comments on board and will definitely add more writing in the next version of the game. I have renamed "Balance" to "Bond" which I hope will be a bit clearer. :)