Satoru Iwata: RIP

For the rest of your otaku life.
Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

Satoru Iwata: RIP

#1 Post by Caveat Lector »

By now, most of you have may have heard, but damn:

http://kotaku.com/nintendos-president-h ... 1717386412

I wasn't a Nintendo player, but I can still see how he made an impact on so many. RIP.
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: Satoru Iwata: RIP

#2 Post by SundownKid »

As someone who is a Nintendo fan - without Iwata there would probably be no Earthbound, and without Earthbound there would be no Mother 3, which is one of my picks for the best video game of all time. Pretty incredible achievement.

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#3 Post by KittyKatStar »

My first console was the NES when I was 3. I've always been a gamer. I practically grew up with Nintendo.
I played roughly 128 games listed under Iwata's accomplishments so yea... He will be missed.
Thank you for everything, Iwata. Your games made so many players happy.

Kailoto
Veteran
Completed: No VNs, but a few novels. :D
Projects: Artificial, Seven Deaths (inactive)

#4 Post by Kailoto »

What a cool guy. He was talented, humble, and always knew how to make you laugh. I've been a Nintendo fanboy ever since I could play games, and losing Iwata like this is a heavy blow. I still remember his best quote: "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." I don't think there's a better expression than that of how incredible this man truly was.

Sayonara, Iwata-san. You will be missed.
Things I've Written:
Sakura (Novel, Self Published, 80,000+ words)
City and Girl (Novel, First Draft, 70,000+ words)
Loka (Novel, Third Draft, 120,000+ words)

A layabout writer and programmer with lots of problems and even more ideas. Hyped for Persona 5.

xPerfectSuicide
Regular
Completed: InuYame, My little Interview can't be this boring, In the middle of U days
Organization: Luis Design'S

#5 Post by xPerfectSuicide »

I really never went much playing Nintendo consoles, but I understand that is a shocking news. I am a bit ignorant about these things, but who is in charge of Nintendo?

Kailoto
Veteran
Completed: No VNs, but a few novels. :D
Projects: Artificial, Seven Deaths (inactive)

#6 Post by Kailoto »

xPerfectSuicide wrote:I really never went much playing Nintendo consoles, but I understand that is a shocking news. I am a bit ignorant about these things, but who is in charge of Nintendo?
During the interim between now and whenever they decide to announce a new CEO, Senior Managing Directors Genyo Takeda and Shigeru Miyamoto are jointly running the company as Representative Directors. I can also only assume that Iwata Asks will be canceled for the foreseeable future and Nintendo Direct will be on hold and reorganized.

As for who will succeed him, well... it's not really certain. Iwata died pretty young (he was 55 and was CEO for only 13 years, compared to his predecessor Hiroshi Yamaguchi's 55 years as CEO), so I'm not sure if they've had time to prepare a replacement. Miyamoto seems like the obvious choice, but he's repeatedly asserted that he wishes to keep making games, and I think it's unlikely that he'll take on the more business-oriented role. Then again, Iwata started out as a programmer himself, so the possibility still exists. Otherwise it'll likely be someone who is from the current board of directors, as they'll need someone with experience at Nintendo to take things over; there's precedent for this as Iwata himself was originally a member of the board before Yamaguchi stepped down in 2002.
Things I've Written:
Sakura (Novel, Self Published, 80,000+ words)
City and Girl (Novel, First Draft, 70,000+ words)
Loka (Novel, Third Draft, 120,000+ words)

A layabout writer and programmer with lots of problems and even more ideas. Hyped for Persona 5.

Green Glasses Girl
Veteran
Projects: Cavaliers & Carnivals
Tumblr: green-glasses

#7 Post by Green Glasses Girl »

"Above all, video games are meant to just be one thing: Fun for everyone." - Satoru Iwata

As a huge Nintendo fan for years, this statement is something that holds dear to me - he just got it. And maybe there are developers who wouldn't believe the same thing - some make games solely to earn a living, for fame, to make a statement or take a stance - but this is something that I believe captured the heart and soul of Nintendo, setting it apart from other developers out there. He will never be forgotten.

Honest Critique

truefaiterman
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes of the Codex War. [ASH] The Seeds of Destruction
Projects: One Night of [SNOW], Stained with Magic
Deviantart: truefaiterman

#8 Post by truefaiterman »

One of the few company presidents that deserve absolute praise and respect. I felt genuinely shocked when I saw the news...
Artist and voice actor, trying to actually write stuff.

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Recent finished projects:

Image Image

Fabricio

#9 Post by Fabricio »

RIP and thanks for all your work.