Him From The Past [Childhood][Friendship/Romance][Short]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Starlight Dreamers, Mysterious Melody, Town of Memories, Marked, To Fly, The Change, Him From The Past, A Forgotten Memory
Projects: Cafe Mysteria

Him From The Past [Childhood][Friendship/Romance][Short]

#1 Post by AsHLeX »

Completed in less than 24 hours.

(Partially) Based on a true story.
Story
This is a story about a little girl from a conservative society in which girls and guys are separated once they grow up. It's a simple story about growing up and friendship. It's about how things change when you get older and a young girl's perspective on it. A story about two friends who were forced apart for many years despite being neighbors and how despite one's best efforts, the norm and the culture is too hard to go against. A simple story about being together with someone who you care about - without caring about labels like "love" or "just friends". And a story about letting go. It's a story of a girl and a boy from two different cultural backgrounds.

Characters

Carla
The protagonist of the story. A little girl who knows no boundaries and is stuck in the blissful dream of childhood. A naive, yet somewhat kind girl. Someone who values friendship very much.

Izian
The male lead of the story. Someone who is bound by the strict guidelines of his culture.
Screenshots
screenshot0001.png
screenshot0002.png
screenshot0003.png
screenshot0004.png
screenshot0005.png
Length
3000-4000 words

Disclaimer
The author does not mean to insult any race or religion. I apologize if it seems that way to anyone. Any resemblance to real people is purely coincidental. For privacy purposes, the names and places have been changed.

Download Links
Mediafire
Win: http://www.mediafire.com/download/masi4 ... st-win.zip
Mac: https://www.mediafire.com/?3kzz1b1afxtoko1
Lin: https://www.mediafire.com/?35e825yosfxtq4f

This VN was made as a birthday present to mudora23. Happy (now belated) birthday!!!

Hope you enjoy and comments are much appreciated!!
Last edited by AsHLeX on Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
New demo out 24/12/23!!

Sayumi101
Veteran
Completed: Closing Spaces, Pastel Rain, Straight Up: Sister-zoned!, Run 'N Gun
Projects: Hunta-H ~Romancing Idols~
Deviantart: Sayumi101
itch: sayumi101

Re: Him From The Past [Childhood][Friendship/Romance][Short]

#2 Post by Sayumi101 »

Hey there! Congrats on the game release. ^.^
There's this minor issue wherein the link on the windows version leads you to the linux download instead. So if you could maybe fix that I'd love to give this a try.
ImageImageImage

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Starlight Dreamers, Mysterious Melody, Town of Memories, Marked, To Fly, The Change, Him From The Past, A Forgotten Memory

#3 Post by AsHLeX »

Ah, apologies!!! I fixed it! :D Thank you so much!
New demo out 24/12/23!!

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by philip »

@AsHLeX-

Nice little story - I enjoyed it!

I found two typos you might like to correct:
"I had failed to grapse just how strong . . ." should be "grasp"
and
"It feels kind of wierd to leave this little . . . " should be "weird"

Other than that, everything was hunky-dory!

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by AsHLeX »

Thanks, philip!!!
I'll correct it as soon as possible. Glad you liked it! ^_^
New demo out 24/12/23!!

Sayumi101
Veteran

#6 Post by Sayumi101 »

Hey there! (again)
I'm back and I've finished playing it. It was short and sweet and I really enjoyed it. The intro statements really resonated with me and the story itself made me think of a few people in my life and how we drifted apart.
I also liked how the closure between the main charas were just enough and peaceful in a way... (though I did sometimes got confused with the ethnic minority stuff... might just be my ignorance, lol)
Anyways all in all it was a nice playthrough.
Wishing you all the luck on your future projects,
Sayumi. ^0^)/
ImageImageImage

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by AsHLeX »

Nah the ethinic minority stuff wasn't really important. It's just that it's hard to go against the majority's culture. So if you're a minority, (basically your opinion's different) then you'll find it difficult if you tend to go against the majority.

Thank you so much for your kind words! >w<

Looking forward to your projects too! Especially Beneath Your Surface ^_^
New demo out 24/12/23!!

Catlip Candy
Regular
Completed: Raven // Encanto
Projects: My Twisted Love Story (title susceptible to change)
Organization: Catlip Candy
Tumblr: catlipcandy
Deviantart: CatlipCandy
Soundcloud: Catlip Candy
itch: catlipcandy

#8 Post by Catlip Candy »

I enjoyed the game! I liked the sprites even though they're just silhouettes of colors :D and I love the transitions very much! May I know how you did the code when they were running? And the swing scenario? I thought it was a sad story...
like how the two can't be together but wants to. I kinda disliked it when the guy wants to be in an arranged marraige. T_T could it be that he wants to take part of it too? Or does he really like Carla or does he see her as just a friend? I was also a little bit surprised about the arranged marriage... Is it common? Maybe long ago...?

Since this is a true story, what happened to the two? I'm guessing this was made for a friend? Who were you in the story if you don't mind me asking? :D :) xD
All I ask from the readers is to give feedback on what they think I should improve more.
Even the harshest comments are welcomed and greatly appreciated, as long as it is your truthful opinion!
Please help me become a better visual novel creator!

~~~~~~ Catlip Candy ~~~~~~~

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by AsHLeX »

The code is inside the script.rpy file in the game folder ^_^.

Swing (I used the trampoline code from the ren'py cookbook and modified it a little.

Code: Select all

init:
    python:
        import math
        def Trampoline(n):
            return (0.5, 1 - math.sin(math.pi * n), 0.5, 0.5)

scene bg beach at Motion(Trampoline, 5.0, repeat=True, bounce=True)
Running:

Code: Select all

scene bg hallway at Zoom((800, 600), (0, 0, 800, 600), (225, 150, 400, 300), 15.0):
        crop (0, 0, 800, 560)
        size (800, 600)

linear 0.1 crop (0, 10, 800, 560) yalign 0.0
        linear 0.1 crop (0, 0, 800, 560) yalign 1.0
        repeat
I'm glad you like the story ^_^. Thank you for playing.
Well, first thing first, I'm going to put a disclaimer here again that I don't mean to insult any race or religion and i'm just speaking from my on experience. Just in case.

In my country, usually boys and girls are taught that it's not right to like date and all that and no touching as it goes against the culture. We generally follow the country's national religion in terms of culture and what to do and what not to do. I'm NOT going to say whether people generally follow this or not, but when I was in primary school it was VERY frowned upon.

The part about the arranged marriage was actually based on the local novels that I read in secondary school. Although it might be a little over exaggerated, there is a slight truth in the fact that children must marry people that the parents arrange for (although not very widely practiced) but it's something that is honorable, I guess - because like I said, generally relationships between the opposite sex is generally frowned on (by the culture that is the majority). Bear in mind that my opinion is also heavily influenced by the local novels that state their "ideal" moral values so it might not be really true in today's world.

So, regarding Izian and Carla, it's like a illicit relationship since boys and girls are supposed to be kept separate to keep them from doing things that are not "morally right". Although Carla doesn't care, because in her culture (which is the minority), it's pretty open to these kind of things, but Izian's culture (the majority) frowns heavily upon it. So there is a very great pressure on Izian to follow his culture and go along with the arranged marriage - even if he doesn't want to. In this case, I suppose he might not enjoy it, but has accepted it because he views it as something that is a "must", also to preserve his family honour and stuff like that (following your parents wishes is something that is very highly praised I guess). His parents don't want him to see Carla because they think that by doing that he might have a illicit relationship that well - is considered pretty bad. I don't know about the part whether Izian really loves her or thinks of her as a friend - because it doesn't actually matter what he thinks - he won't be able to see her anymore. I suppose that she's someone that he cares about and is sad to leave her.

I'm not criticising the way things are, rather that how things change when we grow up and how suddenly boys and girls aren't really "pure, innocent, friends" anymore - although it's a little extreme in this case.

Now to the part about the half-trust, half-fantasy. The story was indeed written for my friend's birthday but the topic wasn't something that I specifically chose. I guess I just wanted to touch on reminiscing about the past and moving on to the future.

So, which part is true?

Everything before the timeskip (after she sees him by the window) is true. (Everything after is fiction but made to suit the "ideals" of our culture. Although I suppose it might not really apply currently - as in now) It is based on my own experience. Carla is me and Izian is my friend from primary school. Marisa is also my friend from primary school whom I stopped seeing after we graduated from primary - I didn't mention that in the story, but it is suitable, since it's a story about how people change and how you lose friends - or just drift apart - from them as time goes on. Pretty much everything that happened when they were kids is a direct representation of my memory - edited a little though.

What really happened after the timeskip is a little different that what was told.

The story goes like this:

One day, after not seeing him for many years, I was studying in my brother's room for college exams and spotted someone familiar at the window opposite mine. To be honest, it looked exactly like my friend from primary - whom i've lost contact with - heck, I don't even remember how to spell his real name. But he's still someone whom I treasure as a fond memory. Not so much of love, but it would be nice to talk to him again. Here's the thing though, I don't know if it's really him or his brother. And it's been so many years. We might have been close in primary but i'm not that close to my neighbours and it would be very awkward to yell or to knock on the front door - plus, like I said, we drifted apart. And to be honest, it's not as if i'm dying to see him again. It's just that it would be nice, you know? And that's what happened. Seeing that made me want to write a story about it so yeah.

So basically, the fiction part (arranged marriage) is written with my country's "ideal" moral values in mind, although that might not be completely true now.
Hope that explained some things and hopefully I didn't insult anyone on the way.
New demo out 24/12/23!!

Catlip Candy
Regular
Completed: Raven // Encanto
Projects: My Twisted Love Story (title susceptible to change)
Organization: Catlip Candy
Tumblr: catlipcandy
Deviantart: CatlipCandy
Soundcloud: Catlip Candy
itch: catlipcandy

#10 Post by Catlip Candy »

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for sharing with me about the code and of course about the true story behind this VN!
I'm not going to ask more about the country, I tend to be too nosy sometimes xD Well, that happens a lot to me, too... Sometimes, even when I call out to friends back from high school, they'd ask me who I am :lol: like a pinch in the face :cry:

Anyway, again, thanks for sharing this wonderful VN!
I'm also thinking of making a VN for a certain birthday since I couldn't come to her party... oh well... xD
All I ask from the readers is to give feedback on what they think I should improve more.
Even the harshest comments are welcomed and greatly appreciated, as long as it is your truthful opinion!
Please help me become a better visual novel creator!

~~~~~~ Catlip Candy ~~~~~~~

Sayumi101
Veteran

#11 Post by Sayumi101 »

Oh! I get it now, thanks for taking the time to explain. ^^ Makes sense when I think about it.

Ah, it's more or less the same here where I live. Even though it's improved with time you still get a fair share of suspicious glances and downright uncomfortable staring downs if you're seen as being just a bit too close to another person of a different gender.
Arranged marriages too are more or less the norm (Guess I live in a very backwater place, lol) But mostly like 70-80% marriages here are arranged as seen fit by the parents and the kids are in no position to resist lest they be scorned by society...
*slowly steals away the codes to the trampoline and running effect*
ImageImageImage

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by AsHLeX »

^_^ I'm glad I could help.
New demo out 24/12/23!!