hiko27's Art Thread

Art threads specific to a single artist.
hiko27
Veteran
Projects: Tsundere-sama (working title)
Tumblr: crappyassdrawings
Deviantart: tsunderenyan
Discord: erikaaaa#6140

Re: hiko27's Art Thread

#76 Post by hiko27 »

Don't think I've posted this one on this thread. I posted this on the Creative Commons forum. I might edit this thing again in the future. I'm still not happy with the contrast with the clouds. Not enough.
promo-3.png
Feel free to use it but same rules apply as mentioned in my CC thread. CC-BY-NC 3.0. Do whatever you want for it, as long as it's not commercial stuff. Also, you need to credit me.
My art thread
links to portfolios

an otome game from a tsundere's pov

hiko27
Veteran

#77 Post by hiko27 »

ss+(2015-04-07+at+10.47.35).jpg
It's a commission for some other site, but I really do love this style of coloring. Will try and develop it more!
My art thread
links to portfolios

hiko27
Veteran

#78 Post by hiko27 »

request-1.png
Finally finished! I've finally managed to get past my perfectionistic tendencies and finished a colored commission. One step at a time.
My art thread
links to portfolios

hiko27
Veteran

#79 Post by hiko27 »

In case someone's curious, here are some in-progress screenshots of the above piece I worked on:
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.png
8.png
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
I really enjoy looking at in-progress shots successively.
My art thread
links to portfolios

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds
Organization: Blue Sphere Group

#80 Post by Kato »

It's really cool seeing the progress laid out like that. Awesome work :)
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

hiko27
Veteran

#81 Post by hiko27 »

Kato wrote:It's really cool seeing the progress laid out like that. Awesome work :)
Oh hey there! And thank you! Yeah, it's really interesting to see other artists' progress, lets you see how they work and maybe be able to learn a thing or two from them.
My art thread
links to portfolios

hiko27
Veteran

#82 Post by hiko27 »

ss+(2015-06-25+at+08.29.28).jpg
I feel like crying. I've always been unhappy about the way I colored up until now. I'm not so sure about how I did my eyes, but they look okay.

This is for a print I'll be selling at Anime Expo. Idk if I'll upload the rest of the prints here, but I'm pretty sure I will, knowing me.

EDIT
KakaoTalk_20150625_205943663.png
KakaoTalk_20150626_202623876.png
KakaoTalk_20150626_202807893.png
Not yet done as I have yet to paint the background. Will update later probably.
My art thread
links to portfolios

hiko27
Veteran

#83 Post by hiko27 »

ccs-web.png
Here's the finished piece. Not really the one I printed copies of to sell at AX, but meh.
utanoprince-buttons.png
kurokonobasuke-buttons.png
Here's also some of the buttons I sold at AX. Murasakibara is hella adorable here, as well as Kuroko. UGH. KAGAMI'S CUTE HERE TOO UGHHHHH.
My art thread
links to portfolios

hiko27
Veteran

Re: hiko27's Art Thread (critiques and requests welcome!)

#84 Post by hiko27 »

tone study-business card.png
tone study.png
Ignore the filenames. But I pretty much started this off as a doodle, then I realized I have to order business cards from Moo by today because of their sale, so I worked with this instead. I'm pretty happy with the coloring since I did it all in an hour orz

But yeah, the colored one, will expand on that later on, once my tablet finishes recharging. And in the morning.
My art thread
links to portfolios

hiko27
Veteran

#85 Post by hiko27 »

ss+(2015-07-25+at+12.49.46).jpg
ss+(2015-07-25+at+10.14.38).jpg
As I work on commissions. I'm pretty proud of how I colored the girl. Gave me tons of confidence in my coloring skills. As for the background, well, I expanded on the girl drawing so yeah. It's crappy looking right now, but it's a very very rough draft with base colors, as well as basic lighting.
My art thread
links to portfolios

hiko27
Veteran

#86 Post by hiko27 »

patch of grass.png
patch of grass-2.png
Because I need to practice with painting backgrounds aside from the freaking sky. This still needs a WHOLE lot of work, but this is practice for now. I've never actually done this type of method where I didn't work with any kind of lineart, so that was unnerving.
My art thread
links to portfolios

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#87 Post by chocojax »

crit001:
- Too angular shift in the sweater between chest to hips.
- Legs look awkwardly pressed against each other. Perhaps would look more natural to have them slightly spread apart. Or could be because the knees have a weird sort of perspective to them. (?)
- Because of the sweater+skirt, creates an illusion that the hips are directly where the legs hide underneath the skirt.
- Jawline too far out.

crit002:
- Shading looks muddy. Can fix by messing around with changing hues. Shift towards a blue hue, perhaps.
- Lighting is strange: seats of the chairs shouldn't have block of shading because of the light source(s)

crit003:
- Right eye/her left seems too small. (I think you fixed this in the colored ver, but not entirely sure.)
- Nose nostril placed strangely. From looking at the colored ver, it should probably be a little bit more to the left-ish.
- Neck looks compressed/squished.
- Clavicles also strangely placed compared to shoulder joints.

overall:
- I noticed that you like to have hair flowing in a general direction, but sometimes they're kinda off (?). For example, in tone study-2.psd, the clump of hair after the red ribbon twists in a lot of different directions, which feels weird to me. I usually just try to keep a general one-curve (???) thing, or something that feels natural in a single stroke.

Pls ask if I don't explain enough of a certain thing, I'm kinda tired right now LOL. Also, in the patch of grass one, I personally like the more saturated ver (but that's just 'cause I like super saturated things at the moment). Also painting with no lineart gets super fun after a while!!! ;;b
Attachments
crit003.png
crit002.png
crit001.png

hiko27
Veteran

#88 Post by hiko27 »

chocojax wrote:crit001:
- Too angular shift in the sweater between chest to hips.
- Legs look awkwardly pressed against each other. Perhaps would look more natural to have them slightly spread apart. Or could be because the knees have a weird sort of perspective to them. (?)
- Because of the sweater+skirt, creates an illusion that the hips are directly where the legs hide underneath the skirt.
- Jawline too far out.

crit002:
- Shading looks muddy. Can fix by messing around with changing hues. Shift towards a blue hue, perhaps.
- Lighting is strange: seats of the chairs shouldn't have block of shading because of the light source(s)

crit003:
- Right eye/her left seems too small. (I think you fixed this in the colored ver, but not entirely sure.)
- Nose nostril placed strangely. From looking at the colored ver, it should probably be a little bit more to the left-ish.
- Neck looks compressed/squished.
- Clavicles also strangely placed compared to shoulder joints.

overall:
- I noticed that you like to have hair flowing in a general direction, but sometimes they're kinda off (?). For example, in tone study-2.psd, the clump of hair after the red ribbon twists in a lot of different directions, which feels weird to me. I usually just try to keep a general one-curve (???) thing, or something that feels natural in a single stroke.

Pls ask if I don't explain enough of a certain thing, I'm kinda tired right now LOL. Also, in the patch of grass one, I personally like the more saturated ver (but that's just 'cause I like super saturated things at the moment). Also painting with no lineart gets super fun after a while!!! ;;b
I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO CRITIQUE ME FOR YEARS THANK YOU. I had to actually scroll up various times to figure out which ones you're talking about lol.

For the jaw, there are actually almost straight jaws like Angelina Jolie's. It all really depends on the person's jaw shape. Opted to give her that kind of jaw because I think they look really nice orz. I do agree about something wrong with them, but it's not really the perspective. It's how I drew them I guess. From this point of view, because if you look at the knees from above, their form a V when pressed together. I should have made it so her left knee or something should be hidden. Also, if you're actually referring to her left lower leg, I fixed that. As well as with the hips. Will probably upload the next few days, not sure yet. Was actually holding off until I finish the background.

For the second one (the background), the pillar is directly beside the light, hence no light on the chair. From this angle, it doesn't look like it but yeah. And not sure if you're talking about the background for the shading, but I actually haven't really put down any shading in this thing at all. It was me just labeling which is which and setting up lighting. Those aren't really the hues I was going to use, but thank you for pointing it out nonetheless :D

For the third, I actually did fix it in the colored version. Ah, never really noticed the nostril. Thanks! Yeah, the neck was annoying me. But I was actually trying to catch a deadline so I had to make do with the mistakes in the colored version. And oh, the clavicle! Never really noticed that, thanks again.

As for the hair, yes I do mostly because hair doesn't really have to follow one general direction. It looks less dynamic that way. Plus based on what I've observed from my hair, because it's naturally straight, it does blow in one direction but sometimes a few clumps of them would exaggerate more and stuff like that. What I actually didn't like about the hair is that one lone hair that cuts straight across her face from the back of her head. And for the hair after the ribbon, yeah, it does look somewhat weird.

And it's fine, you don't have to (though I did get lost at the beginning when you wrote crit001 and I'm like "WHICH ONE IS THAT" but figured you actually attached redlines). I'm just happy someone actually is willing to critique me (I even thought other artists here don't like me or something), so thanks! Haha, I'm the same, I really like saturated things (though not super saturated), but I liked how the second one is less saturated. I kept on playing with the contrast for that one, ugh. It was actually fun painting the patch of grass, but now that I'm beginning to move to other things aside from grass/skies... I feel kind of lost where to start with painting, and how I should go about it. So I've just been looking up some of my pixiv favorites and studying their works. I even decided to look up some background paintings on Youtube (if you ever want to look them up, search 背景メイキング), but I guess the only effective way I learn is through action.
My art thread
links to portfolios

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#89 Post by chocojax »

UHHHH it's a good thing I put that disclaimer of me being sleepy up there, hahahha. I meant to post in your thread a couple of days ago, but I either forgot until too late at night (which is what happened here anyway), or was too busy to do so. :(

- BG:
Wooops, sorry, I entirely forgot that pillar was there. :p

- Hair thing:
Tryin' to put this into better words, but I just think that certain parts of the hair of tone study-2.psd breaks up the flow of the rest of the hair. Mainly, the one you pointed out (strand of hair going across 1/3rd of the picture) and the kinda three-clump in the back (the one that's kinda fading off to the right). I dunno, but that's just my thoughts on it.

Yaaa, I was planning on placing the attachments right below the crit part, but yeah... I was kinda sleepy, hahaha.

I usually start out with general blobs/shapes of color with a sort of cel-shady shading (with really lame/not-worked-hard-on lineart), and then I just paint over everything after merging the layers together. But I'll check 'em out!! I was following them on twitter, no idea they had Youtube videos.

hiko27
Veteran

#90 Post by hiko27 »

chocojax wrote:UHHHH it's a good thing I put that disclaimer of me being sleepy up there, hahahha. I meant to post in your thread a couple of days ago, but I either forgot until too late at night (which is what happened here anyway), or was too busy to do so. :(

- BG:
Wooops, sorry, I entirely forgot that pillar was there. :p

- Hair thing:
Tryin' to put this into better words, but I just think that certain parts of the hair of tone study-2.psd breaks up the flow of the rest of the hair. Mainly, the one you pointed out (strand of hair going across 1/3rd of the picture) and the kinda three-clump in the back (the one that's kinda fading off to the right). I dunno, but that's just my thoughts on it.

Yaaa, I was planning on placing the attachments right below the crit part, but yeah... I was kinda sleepy, hahaha.

I usually start out with general blobs/shapes of color with a sort of cel-shady shading (with really lame/not-worked-hard-on lineart), and then I just paint over everything after merging the layers together. But I'll check 'em out!! I was following them on twitter, no idea they had Youtube videos.
Hahaha, it's fine, it's fine. I'm just happy somebody finally critiqued my work! I do need the critiques badly.

Hair: Got it. Will keep that in mind. I tend to go overboard, so in this case, I went too crazy with the hair and decided, "Hey, let's screw up the whole flow of the hair" lol

It's fine, I'm just really slow. And oh, at least I'm not doing anything wrong. That's what I did for the background (with the lineart's opacity really low), my only problem at this point, and what's got me stumped is the lighting, shadows and all that stuff. There's this one pixiv artist that makes the most amazing backgrounds, and they have one or two tutorials on backgrounds (random but if you want links to these, just let me know), so I'm hoping I could find more tutorials like theirs. And yeah, I have yet to know if they have some at Nico Nico but yeah. You can definitely try Googling it as well, I got a few good results from it.
My art thread
links to portfolios