How did you get into anime?

For the rest of your otaku life.
Juno
Regular

Re: How did you get into anime?

#91 Post by Juno »

I remember every saturday night when I was in like 5th or 6th grade, I'd stay up all night to watch Adult Swim play Yu Yu Hakusho, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, and Tenchi Muyo!. I remember being kind of bored to tears by Candidate for Goddess.

I think my anime gateway was probably DBZ, though.

Thirteen
Regular
Completed: A Walk in the Woods
Projects: Unamed Game
Tumblr: houseflesh

#92 Post by Thirteen »

I used to watch Dragon Ball Z as a kid with my two brothers, but I didn't really get into anime until I bought the manga Yotsuba&! by Kiyohiko Azuma. Then I googled the guy's name and found AzuManga Daiho. Thus I transformed into a weaboo, and spent a lot of my childhood, and preteen years embarrassing myself by being "random" and very "Japanese" (I'm actually 1/4 Japanese, and it just fueled my weaboo fire).

I'm not so into anime, but that being said I still really enjoy the little anime I do watch, and am interested in the sociological aspects of Japan.

The Wombologists
Projects: First Test Game-simple story.
Tumblr: viataf
Deviantart: viataf

#93 Post by The Wombologists »

I used to watch dbz, yu yu hakusho, yugioh, pokemon when i was a child but Hamtaro was the one I latched onto on my own so I guess that was my first official anime, them when I was a bit older i got into Naruto, Bobobobobobobo, zatch bell, and one piece. I just branched off on my own and watched so many more anime since I knew how to use the internet better, and boy was it a fun time. I got into shows like death Note, devil may cry, Azumanga dioh, Full moon o sagashite, Hana yori dango, kare kano, fushigi yuugi, ouran, etc. omg it was fun! Over the years its has slowed down and expanded, so I am a pretty seasoned anime fan.
ANGELS ARE METAL

haipro2001

#94 Post by haipro2001 »

I started watching anime since i finished playing Final Fantasy X

truefaiterman
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes of the Codex War. [ASH] The Seeds of Destruction
Projects: One Night of [SNOW], Stained with Magic
Deviantart: truefaiterman

#95 Post by truefaiterman »

I got cable TV in my home, and suddenly it was a new world of unique cartoons I've never seen. I already loved Dragon Ball or Captain Tsubasa (Campeones: Oliver y Benji in Spain). But suddenly I got amazed by Evangelion (being a little boy that was... quite intense), laughed with Jester the Adventurer, Trigun and City Hunter, and found weird series I didn't understand like Bible Black.

... That explains a lot of stuff.
Artist and voice actor, trying to actually write stuff.

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Recent finished projects:

Image Image

Kailoto
Veteran
Completed: No VNs, but a few novels. :D
Projects: Artificial, Seven Deaths (inactive)

#96 Post by Kailoto »

Freshman year, and I literally never have homework to do after school because the classes are so easy. So I jump on a computer, some nights I play games, but most nights I watch anime.

I must've streamed at least 1000 episodes over the course of that single year. I hardly ever took breaks, averaging around 15 hours a week (I was depressed at the time, so it helped to lose myself in them.)

Then I moved to a harder high school and had to stop watching so much when I got my ass handed to me by the curriculum.

I think my first-ever anime was Bakemonogatari, but Clannad and Code Geass were what stood out. I also developed a love for slice of life that persists to this day.

Mayche

#97 Post by Mayche »

well i remeber watching sakura card captor on tv when i was around eight i think it had translations so i searched sakura cardcaptor online i wanted to watch more (but of course all was on english and i did not understand back then XD).There was also animes like yu gi oh,digimon and there was an anime called kaledio star that i loved.
sorry for my bad "engrish"

Laluune
Regular

#98 Post by Laluune »

It would have started long before I knew what Anime was, I grew up watching Sailormoon, Pokemon etc. But it was Evangelion on TV when I was 11 where I was like "this is like cartoons for adults, so cool!" haha, I didn't even know what language the opening theme was in. I then proceeded to rent everything anime at my video store (which included some pretty horrifying stuff (Ninja Scroll)) and here I am.

noctos
Regular
Projects: Aeris
Tumblr: noctos

#99 Post by noctos »

My sister was the one who introduced me to it! She was into stuff like Yu Yu Hakusho, Inu Yasha, and Flame of Recca. I kept borrowing the books and looking over her shoulder when she watches the shows, even though I didn't know any English. One Christmas she bought me my very first manga volumes - Fruits Basket 1, and 2. I haven't looked back since.

We kept buying new series as they got translated, and we now share a pretty impressive collection. Half of the stuff left with her when she moved, though, so I really want to have a look at it before I leave the city myself. Ahhh it makes me all nostalgic thinking about it. I think reading manga and watching dubbed anime contributed a lot to my English skills when I was younger.
Tentatively working on my first project ☆

JJupiterJump
Regular

#100 Post by JJupiterJump »

Dubbed anime like Naruto, Inuyasha, Card Captor Sakura, Pokemon (of course) and Pretty Cure! (later than the others) used to play on the kid channels I watched on T.V sometime, so I just ended up getting into them that way. Aside from Pokemon, I ended up liking the anime more because it sort of continued the story in each episode, like a movie almost, whereas most of the normal cartoons at the time had contained episodes, or that I remember anyway. I also really liked the animation because it looked so pretty to me.

As I grew up I found out what anime was, and watched more and more of it instead of regular cartoons for the reasons above. It wasn't until I binge watched like 100 episodes of Naruto that I really got into anime, but I've always liked it.

Fabricio

#101 Post by Fabricio »

I started with Tsubasa and Sailor Moon, later Dragon Ball and so on.

sei.chan

#102 Post by sei.chan »

Well I'm peruvian they would show tons of anime. When I was little my mother would watch candy candy (an orphan girl who learns about the hardships in life really sad yet beautiful story#she actuall was the one that started the poor orphan girl trend) and The Flower Child Lunlun ( Hana no Ko Lunlun) and Marcos (a little boy abandoned by his mother since she had leave to search for a better place to live) with me and sing me the lullaby from their op
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1IUUjwyf78 (marcos)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql4aeqOmDzI (candy candy)
. We would also watch sailor moon and Dragon ball z all the time (in our country they don't censor so I knew haruka and michiru weren't cousins but lovers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOC4uMWpidk (sailor moon latin op her voice was amazingly femine in spanish which is the reason I prefer spanish over english in anime)

wayward
Regular

#103 Post by wayward »

I remember seeing anime here and there as a kid, but i overlooked it for some reason. then in high school I got into a conversation about anime with a friend. i dont remember how the conversation started, but it led to him giving me the password to his FTP server, and he told me he was going to turn me into an anime fan. He told me to watch ruroni kenshin,and that was the first anime i really got into. After Kenshin he told me to watch Escaflowne, and I was hooked. After that it was neon genesis evangelion, and around that time i made the connection that ever since I was a kid I had been playing JRPGs, and that anime was japan, and that pretty much all my life I had been a fan of japanese media without even knowing it.

Edit: maybe even before that I had gotten bored with murican cartoons, so I started watching an english dubbed sailor moon (which to me is filler episodes--entertaining, but a lot of them, and then suddenly really epic moments.) Anyway, I was drawn to sailor moonand anime in general because the art is always so solid.

Kawaii Hitogoroshi
Deviantart: Mittyke

#104 Post by Kawaii Hitogoroshi »

I was always watching Ghibli movies, my parents really liked them. I also had one chapter (not even a volume) of the Dragon ball manga. I always knew what manga was, but I just called anime manga movies. And the one time a Hungarian movie critique said that he hated anime, but Spirited Away was great. Thn I told a girl in my class that I liked anime, and she told me to watch Detective Conan, Clannad and Pandora Hearts. And I watched them (well, I only got to episode 212 of Detective Conan...), and I fell in love with anime.

Marygold

#105 Post by Marygold »

Every Sunday is lazy day. As a kid i would go running down the stairs, turn on the TV, and watch whatever is on till lunch. Anime was there so, i naturally went deeper, and i fell in love.