RE: Prince of Nigeria ["GxB"|Internet Scam]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Galaxious
Projects: RED
Tumblr: kouhsitxt
Deviantart: donutaki
Soundcloud: sasowis

Re: RE: Prince of Nigeria ["GxB"|Internet Scam]

#76 Post by Galaxious »

I couldn't control my laughter when I played this game, to be honest. Haha, good game! I love it!
* · ✦˚ + . ˚.  ✹
「狂ったこの世で狂うなら気は確かだ。」

youngin

#77 Post by youngin »

Hahahaa. This was so cute! Here's to another person who couldn't keep a smile off their face when playing. Thanks for the upload.

ebi-hime
Veteran
Completed: Asphyxia, Blackberry Honey, The Language of Love, etc
Tumblr: ebi-hime
itch: ebihime

#78 Post by ebi-hime »

I just finished playing this, and I liked it! It was short but sweet XD I liked all of Hourai's warped similies, and how impressed she was by the all caps XD It was cute.

I wasn't super taken with the epilogue, though -
I feel like it was far too much of a twist, I didn't like the random new character it added at the end, and it really came out of nowhere. I liked Hourai more when she was being cute and ditzy XD And it seemed like it was an attempt to make the whole game seem more serious - but that made the comedy from earlier less funny, in retrospect...? Since you know it wasn't really real.
But I still really liked it. And I liked the authors notes at the end - especially the one about where you got the character names from. That was pretty interesting!
GJ!
I have a lot of free & commercial VNs available on Steam and itchio.io if you want to check them out! ☆

Seni
Tumblr: senidoll
Deviantart: SeniDoll

#79 Post by Seni »

I really enjoyed your game! Especially loved the similes, the irony
(the ad-clicking avoiding sigh of relief was my favourite)
and the Twilight-related sentences. Those were hilarious! :'D

The musics were a bit annoying though, and the epilogue was flat in my opinion.
When I had to pick a username and a name for the MC, I automatically avoided anything related to my own e-mail and my own name. :'D Also, I thought the end would be a jumpscare, so I was like covering my eyes just to get prepared... XD Thank you for not scaring me.

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#80 Post by Coren »

Thanks for the comments! :D I hope to make another silly comedy project like this in the future.

marauderspirit
Completed: Act of Mercy
Projects: Act of Vengeance, Vice/Arcana
Organization: Zircona Works
Tumblr: zirconaworks

#81 Post by marauderspirit »

Based on the premise alone, I have to try this, hahaha
Act of Mercy by Zircona

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo

#82 Post by Coren »

Thread for the sequel is now up HERE!

Horai and Rich will appear again, oh jolly.

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#83 Post by philip »

@Coren-

Had seen this on the Forum for a long time, and just ignored it; I was kinda put off by the title! Finally downloaded and played it today, and am kicking myself for avoiding it for so long. A great little story; the epilogue completed it for me -
I was pleased to see that Horai was not a complete doofus, but was playing along to write a story.
A very nice job, I promise that the next time I see a story with your name on it, I will download and play through it IMMEDIATELY (pardon my caps lock, lost my head there for a moment!)

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#84 Post by Coren »

I'm glad you enjoyed it! :) Do you think there could've been a better title, by the way?

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#85 Post by philip »

@Coren-

Nah, I think your title was just fine, an accurate description of the story. It's just that I continue to be amazed at the gullibility of people in real life who think that out of the blue someone is going to give them millions.

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#86 Post by Coren »

An awesome trailer made by a fan!

I love you guys.

M.Knight

#87 Post by M.Knight »

I just finished reading, and I have to say it was simply incredible! I dunno why I have been postponing playing this game for so long.
The premise iteself was already ridiculously funny by itself but I was also bursting out laughing at almost every single line and CG. Horai's ditziness and sheer stupidity was such a sight to behold, and I loved the heck out of the absurd and nonsensical metaphors that take the piss out of standard VN metaphor writing.

Man, that was so refreshing and fun! I had such a great time!

The only thing I didn't enjoy was the bonus epilogue :
Having Horai reveal that she was aware of the scam and just went along with it to get material for a web article not only cheapens the story and its hilarity, it also makes Horai be a completely different character than in the main game. The regular Horai defintely seems like a very naïve teenager with idealized and corny views on love and that is shown in her inner monologue, while the epilogue Horai is more like a mid-twenties adult with a sharper tongue. Even with the excuse of pretending to trust the scammer, there isn't simply any reason why the epilogue Horai would think the way she did in the main game.

The difference was so jarring I first thought the epilogue took place in some sort of 'behind-the-scenes' environment deteached from the main storyline's continuity where Horai knows she is a character and would talk to the audience about her theatrical performance in the main game, or something like that.

The additional character had some alright interactions with Horai, but him being behind the scambot is IMO a case of overexplaining. Sometimes, you don't want to give a bunch of technical reasons why and how your premise was kicked off. Here, the readers wouldn't have felt they missed out on anything if you kept the scammer's identity hidden, because your VN's main appeal comes from the absurd comedy that results from the Nigerian Prince scam and Horai's reactions, not the desire to know who the scammer is.

Also, the scam simply being a harmless prank sanitizes the fact that Horai actually loses a lot of money in the Good Ending and think it would have been better to simply keep going in the direction of Horai's naïveté being exploited by the scammer instead of admitting you wouldn't want to go that far and explore your premise to its fullest extent by saying that it was just a joke from an acquaintance of Horai.
That said, despite my issues with the epilogue, I want to stress once again that I really loved RE:Prince of Nigeria. :D

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#88 Post by Coren »

Hey thanks for playing my man! :D I was just replaying this game out of nostalgia - since it's been 6 years - and I have to admit I totally agree with you on the epilogue. Nonetheless this is my one and only comedy game that I've made and I'm super glad you enjoyed it as much as I have upon replay!

M.Knight

#89 Post by M.Knight »

6 years already? Wow, that was such a long time ago! If you enjoyed it upon replaying it, that's a pretty good sign I would say. It's easier to tire of your own creations given how much time you may have spent crafting them, but the writing here is so fun and the pacing so swift that it makes total sense for you to have a blast reading it again.

Looking at the earlier comments, you weren't entirely sure what to think of the epilogue and I imagine that you have now solidifed your opinion on it thanks to your experience in writing. In any case it's thankfully not a part of the game that diminishes how funny the main story itself is, and it's in its own seperated container, so to speak.

It's a shame that you haven't written other comedies yet because the humor in RE:Prince of Nigeria is definitely my jam, but if you were more inspired to write more serious works, it's fine too. On that note, has developement on Cash VS Yandere been suspended/abandoned? I am not sure I would like it as much as this one based on the premise and concept, but it could be worth a try if it's finished.