Artist Wanted, Payment in Empty Promises

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
Failure Hero

Artist Wanted, Payment in Empty Promises

#1 Post by Failure Hero »

Do you love poverty and hope to never leave it or the filth coated tenement I assume all struggling artists live in?
Do you lay awake at night, tantalized by dreams of splitting the revenue of vaporware?
Do you salivate at the prospect of working with a guy who's never finished a project but promises he really will this time guys, really?
THEN HAVE I GOT A JOB FOR YOU!

I'm a reasonably good writer looking for an artist willing to work for nothing but an even revenue split and pull overtime as a sounding board at 4 AM for an idea I've had kicking around my head going on a while. This idea will bring all the joys of Imperial Chinese Bureaucracy straight to the home computer! For too long, games have focused on exciting things like witchers and Shepards. It's time to buckle down, get our heads out of the clouds, find a real job, and manage the logistics of a single squadron in one of 15 near identical fiefdoms' armies during a hopeless war. This game will also include guaranteed fun like watching some jerk burn down your home because of a two century old argument over whether the Fantasy Lord's Prayer starts with trespasses or debts, trying to sleaze some profit off of the reconstruction of your recently ravaged city, and managing your noble connection's finances. Also, stat raising. It's like a boxing management game, but for questionably ethical pencil pushers.

While I'm not specifically looking for anything but an artist, I'm also not in a position to say no to a musician or someone who actually has coding or project management skills. If you're willing to work with a guy who writes drunk and edits drunker, then you're welcome to join me on what I can only hope will be a beautiful disaster. The only thing I ask is that you have a tolerance for low fantasy and the willingness to have ideas thrown at you at times aardvarks would call inconvenient.

There is, of course, nothing completed save for the mad scrawlings on the papers I've nailed to my walls to prove to everyone I'm not crazy.

Assuming completion, the game's sale price will be 99 cents and there will be a free demo, obviously. Obviously.

So there's my pitch. If you want any clarification, leave a comment. There's a lot of bourbon in the world and it won't drink itself, so it may be a time before I reply.

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

Re: Artist Wanted, Payment in Empty Promises

#2 Post by Katta »

You seem like a really fun person) What kind of art are you looking for? What style? Sprites/cgs/bgs? How many of each?

Failure Hero

#3 Post by Failure Hero »

Katta wrote:You seem like a really fun person) What kind of art are you looking for? What style? Sprites/cgs/bgs? How many of each?
Sprites and backgrounds, largely. The game has a fairly small scope so I can feasibly get away with a lot of asset reuse with regards to backgrounds, but it's also going to take place over a large span of time, so it'll end up fairly sprite intensive with the characters aging and such. As far as style goes I'm flexible, though I do have a preference for storybook-esque watercolors because I dig that sort of thing.

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#4 Post by Katta »

Traditional art? I kinda wish to try, but all my previous attempts at watercolor failed))) Can you give a reference image of what you have in mind?

Failure Hero

#5 Post by Failure Hero »

Indeed I can! The image is a bit too large to post here, but here's the link:

https://ws.elance.com/file/Project_4.3_ ... YxNDU2NjM=

Anyway, as I said earlier, I'm a fairly flexible sort of guy and would accept just about any good idea. No matter what, it would be better than if I were forced to draw.

Edit: A pretty damned good friend of mine has made a case for anime artwork I can't deny. So come forth, Nipponophiles . I'm accepting of you folk.

Edit's edit: She also helped improve my word choice.

somestrangecircus
Regular
Completed: Palette Swap (NaNo 2016)
Projects: Yumi-chan's Wonderful Cake Shop
Organization: Some Strange Circus
Tumblr: somestrangecircus
Deviantart: somestrangecircus

#6 Post by somestrangecircus »

You seem like you'd be quite fun to work with. :) Unfortunately, I am a writer and nothing else, as my art skills pretty much stopped developing around the age of eight. I wish you luck, though!

Vaatry
Deviantart: Vaatry

#7 Post by Vaatry »

Oh my, that's quite a funny idea you got here. I would gladly join you on your project if my style suits you. I'm not really comfortable with background, but I can (at least) give it a try to create an environment you'd like.

*whisper deeply* "yes I'm a nipponophile"

Benesumi
Regular
Tumblr: Benesumi

#8 Post by Benesumi »

How much work do you need the artist to do? Number of characters, sprites, etc?

Ferdokki
Veteran
Completed: Before Dream Valley, Chasing, Fear&Love
IRC Nick: Ferdokki

#9 Post by Ferdokki »

I might be able to do storybook types of backgrounds.
Did you still need a BG artist?