GUI interface for writing interactive novels

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

GUI interface for writing interactive novels

#1 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Ok, so I'm in a Human Computer Interface class, and for the last assignment of the semester my team has decided to develop a GUI interface for writing interactive novels.

BIG DISCLAIMER: There is no promise that this project will come to fruition- it may just end up being an empty shell interface, without any functionality. However, if it looks good enough, I'll probably find the spare time to implement at least a minimum feature set. I'd also be willing to open source the code, in case anyone wants to mess with it. In case you're interested to know, it will be written in Java- so it should be platform independent.

I'd like to collect some ideas from this community to help create a very useful, intuitive, powerful interface. I'd appreciate any suggestions, no matter how simple or complex. These can be suggestions for features, GUI layout, or anything else you think I might find useful.

Thanks in advance for all your help~

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: GUI interface for writing interactive novels

#2 Post by DaFool »

System Sin is working on:

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... f=4&t=2715

Rocket also proposed a system, and don't forget Jake's .net application (search those).

Jake
Support Hero

Re: GUI interface for writing interactive novels

#3 Post by Jake »

DaFool wrote:Rocket also proposed a system, and don't forget Jake's .net application (search those).
Except my .NET application was only really functionality, with a crappy UI with no thought put into it at all. If my HCI lecturer had seen it he would have failed me without a second thought! ;-)

There was a discussion in the thread rocket started, on the other hand, which is probably quite relevant. Although I kind of derailed it into a discussion on feasibility rather than UI design... :/
Server error: user 'Jake' not found