How interesting is emofuri for you?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: How interesting is emofuri for you?

#16 Post by SundownKid »

Carassaurat wrote:I don't want to be a negative Nelly here, but I personally think Emofuri is effort in the wrong direction; a lot of time is spent animating characters that are still only going to be standing around in the middle of the screen doing nothing. If anything, that makes the contrast with static CGs more jarring. It's not a technique that expands the range of stories we can tell, so is it worth going through all the extra trouble?
Actually, I've seen a lot of comments to the effect of "the characters should be animated" - especially from people who are new to VN's. While I personally have no qualms with un-animated pictures, as long as they're expressive enough, I think that it's something people enjoy and would influence their enjoyment and desire to purchase a game.

Parataxis
Regular
Projects: Shadow City, Scribbles!
Tumblr: asktheprismguard

#17 Post by Parataxis »

I think it will be interesting to see if the program ever finds limited implementation in the style of CG. Right now things seem pretty focused on like general front-facing sprites but I could imagine that having like, a key moment where a character turned and looked at you in an otherwise limited motion game be pretty powerful.

I personally don't think I'm quite at the level of game making maturity where it's relevant to me yet as a creator.

Green Glasses Girl
Veteran
Projects: Cavaliers & Carnivals
Tumblr: green-glasses

#18 Post by Green Glasses Girl »

For me personally, emofuri stretches into the Uncanny Valley territory. But I'm happy that people are using it to explore new ways of customizing their VNs!

I just think people need to remember: 1) don't make the animation the driving feature of the game itself and 2) even if you have a sprite using emofuri does not necessarily mean you are successful in conveying emotion. The most I've seen with emofuri are sprites with passive expressions like a small frown, a cute smile, a cheeky grin, and slight sad/disappointed face. I'm not sure if this makes sense, but it seems to me that sometimes using emofuri is doing more to restrict the artist's use of drawing vivid expressions. It takes some time to make, so I understand that people aren't going out of their way to show the difference between John Smith being kind of angry and John Smith being FURIOUUUUS! Not to say that all characters have to have emotions pushed to extremes, but it's food for thought.

Anyway, hopefully that changes over the next few years as more people use the program. Right now I'm not enchanted by it, but I think it's great that it's in its earlier stages so that we can watch it evolve!

Honest Critique

YonYonYon
Veteran
Projects: Nightflower(Frozen), Reach the Starlight(WIP)

#19 Post by YonYonYon »

I'm interested in animated sprites, but I'm not interested in buying them tho.

Animated sprites are just another tools. They can be pretty if done right, they can bring some life if done right - like anything else, they can make a difference if done right. If you can make them and you can afford making them, why not? Do it!

ImageImage

Daedalus

#20 Post by Daedalus »

Done correctly they're gorgeous and I really, really like them! However, like said before I'm not really jumping in and considering them some sort of "improvement" over static images. I mean, they kinda are, but that's not going to phase out the "original" style at all. That being said, would love to see the style used more.