Dark Override: Their Demise [GxB][School] - Hiatus

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Ana
Regular

Dark Override: Their Demise [GxB][School] - Hiatus

#1 Post by Ana »

Hello, everyone! I've been working on this game for awhile (since around February), so I thought it'd be about time that I post it on here. The title is still being decided on.

Story:

One night, a girl named Elle (name changeable) finds herself in what appears to be a modern abandoned clinic, unable to move. She cannot remember anything about herself or past relationships with anyone. While in the clinic, she hears some strange peoples' voices and has hallucinations of herself in another, fantasy-like world for just a few bittersweet seconds. Not long after, a masked man comes and takes her out of the clinic and into an apartment. Elle has about one month of high school left, so she has to make the most of it.

Characters:

Main Character:
No, you're red! Well, technically pink, but--
- When Elle finds herself in the hospital, she cannot recall who she was or some of the people she knew.
- For some strange reason, she was able to remember trivial facts and places, for the most part.
- Elle sometimes remains quiet in some situations to the point where people think she isn't even there.

Riley:
- Riley never really seems to have his act together; he's always running to school and out of breath.
- He gets jealous and possessive easily, and doesn't really notice anything around him.
- He tutors Victor, but rumor has it that they do other things together outside of that.

Aiden:
- Aiden loves food, sleeping and picking fights with others.
- He especially likes to tease Riley over his pretty obvious crush on Elle.

Victor:
- Victor skipped a grade, and as such, he takes many of the same classes with Aiden, Riley and Elle.
- He's tutored by Riley, even though he doesn't really need the help.

Aren:
- Elle knows him, but at the same time, she doesn't.

Charlie:
Victor, my man! Don't run away!
- This guy is head over heels infatuated with Victor.
- He has absolutely no interest in the main character whatsoever.

---

CGs:
(I'll add some in soon).
Progress:

- Script: (Word Count: ~50,000/???) - Cut a lot of old scenes out.
- Putting sprites, music and backgrounds into the game: This process will take the longest (Seriously! I always get so sidetracked doing this).
- Creating the sprites: A few to do/edit. With the rate I'm going at, these should be done in no time.
- CGs: ???///??? (let's not talk about these...)

Music tracks and backgrounds will be probably copyright-free material. Will give credits in the actual credits

Questions:

General questions:
-- What would you describe as a good ending?
-- How many CGs do you think hits the sweet spot?
-- Do you like it when creators use chibi CGs, or are they annoying?
Last edited by Ana on Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:46 pm, edited 51 times in total.

wendybirdx
Regular

Re: Xitir's Awakening [GxB][Slice of Life][Supernatural][Fre

#2 Post by wendybirdx »

MUCH EXCITE

1) I like Riley. I kind of love characters who get easily jealous and flustered haha and that combined with the the "not so streetsmart" characteristic means there'll probably be some interesting interactions with him.
(I kind of want him to be with the MC now tbh oops)
2) Hm, I'd say it can be overdone. I'd say it's good to include some comedy if it fits well with the character's personalities (if you have a character that wouldn't usually joke make one, it sounds weird, but if there's some comedy in how a gullible character falls for something, it works, and etc.) and if it fits in with the situation. Nowadays, the type of humor that works best is situational, which can be the hardest one to create. I'd personally try to not include two jokes in the same conversation unless it's that joking-back-and-forth kind of thing (or if it takes up the same theme, which can happen in real life conversations), but of course, there's no real rule. You could also just go with your instinct and then try to play it though, see if it wears you out a little and takes away the focus from the plot too much.
I love lots of comedy, though, so feel free to keep throwing it in! (;

Ana
Regular

#3 Post by Ana »

wendybirdx wrote:MUCH EXCITE

1) I like Riley. I kind of love characters who get easily jealous and flustered haha and that combined with the the "not so streetsmart" characteristic means there'll probably be some interesting interactions with him.
(I kind of want him to be with the MC now tbh oops)
2) Hm, I'd say it can be overdone. I'd say it's good to include some comedy if it fits well with the character's personalities (if you have a character that wouldn't usually joke make one, it sounds weird, but if there's some comedy in how a gullible character falls for something, it works, and etc.) and if it fits in with the situation. Nowadays, the type of humor that works best is situational, which can be the hardest one to create. I'd personally try to not include two jokes in the same conversation unless it's that joking-back-and-forth kind of thing (or if it takes up the same theme, which can happen in real life conversations), but of course, there's no real rule. You could also just go with your instinct and then try to play it though, see if it wears you out a little and takes away the focus from the plot too much.
I love lots of comedy, though, so feel free to keep throwing it in! (;
Oh, you'll be surprised. There are too many weird scenes that happen to poor, poor Riley... I think me and my friend who helps me come up with these scenes are having a little too much fun with him. Aiden pretty much messes around with Riley all the time in the story.
Then again, Aiden also messes around with unknown guy (like spraying him with water and stuff). My friend really, really dislikes unknown a lot, so expect a lot of weird things to happen to the both of them. I don't think I'll spoil any of the scenarios and just leave them for the actual game, which I hope to release pretty soon, if I can.

Hmm, I think I might have to watch out with comedy and plot a little. I think the only one who is serious is unknown, but he lightens up towards the end. The plot does get serious towards the middle though. However, for the most part, Aiden and Riley are constantly doing strange things and a lot of the story focuses on that quite a bit.
I really hope nobody gets annoyed by Aiden's 'kingliness', though. He constantly calls himself king throughout the story, and calls the main character his servant. It's sort of done for comedic effect, but more of a quirk of his.

I'm really glad that you're excited ^_^, and I hope to post the demo once I figure out how!!
(Things will make so much more sense once I'm able to post it)

neuropsy
Regular
Projects: Emissary of Starlight
Tumblr: emissaryofstarlight

#4 Post by neuropsy »

Oh, you're very close to getting finished! You can do it! You've come this far! :D

I love memory loss stories, so I'll be keeping an eye out for this game. The synopsis is a bit short (and it's fine if you intended it to be that way!) so I can't comment too much on it, but the fact it involves memory loss is enough to keep my interest, hehe. I'm really looking forward to the demo. 8D

- Which character do you like best?

Riley. He sounds like a giant dork, and that's right up my alley.

- I included some comedy, but how much comedy is too much comedy? Is there ever too much?

As long as the comedy is realistic to the situation, I say go for it. It's not so much too much comedy that's a problem in my opinion (especially if you consider it to be of the Comedy genre, even if it's just in part), so long as it's not forced comedy. Forced comedy, to me, is when you make characters act OOC with the intent of trying to get the audience to laugh. Comedy is best executed when it's natural to the characters and situation, at least in my opinion.
"Everyone was jumping a giant jump rope, but I was too scared to join. I was hesitant, like a child, always waiting for you."
Current Project: Emissary of Starlight

Ana
Regular

#5 Post by Ana »

neuropsy wrote:Oh, you're very close to getting finished! You can do it! You've come this far! :D

I love memory loss stories, so I'll be keeping an eye out for this game. The synopsis is a bit short (and it's fine if you intended it to be that way!) so I can't comment too much on it, but the fact it involves memory loss is enough to keep my interest, hehe. I'm really looking forward to the demo. 8D

- Which character do you like best?

Riley. He sounds like a giant dork, and that's right up my alley.

- I included some comedy, but how much comedy is too much comedy? Is there ever too much?

As long as the comedy is realistic to the situation, I say go for it. It's not so much too much comedy that's a problem in my opinion (especially if you consider it to be of the Comedy genre, even if it's just in part), so long as it's not forced comedy. Forced comedy, to me, is when you make characters act OOC with the intent of trying to get the audience to laugh. Comedy is best executed when it's natural to the characters and situation, at least in my opinion.
Yeah, I can't really say much without giving too much details away. I really want to put out the demo, but before I do that, I want to make a better looking GUI and put two certain CGs into it as well. There are actually some other characters that I didn't include yet in the first post, but it's mainly because I'm working on their sprites and they come really late into the game anyway. The human sprites are nearly done, though.

Now I'm starting to think I put too much love into Riley... No, really.
I think I need to put more description on them all. There's a bit more to Riley, and then I realized I can't add it in...

Ah, okay. I think for the most part, they're all acting in character during certain scenes. They kind of do stupid things during a fight, though. It'll be clearer in the demo. I wish pictures can colour and ink themselves. :(

*King*

#6 Post by *King* »

Yo, I had to make an account just to do this....you better thank me later.
I like all the characters because they each have something unique about them but for some reason whenever I see Victor, a sort of hatred surfaces....not sure if you really get what I mean.
I'm not hating on your character...more like his name and his face....
PS You better finish this game. Consider it an order given to you from a supreme ruler...aka me 8)

Ana
Regular

#7 Post by Ana »

*King* wrote:Yo, I had to make an account just to do this....you better thank me later.
I like all the characters because they each have something unique about them but for some reason whenever I see Victor, a sort of hatred surfaces....not sure if you really get what I mean.
PS You better finish this game. Consider it an order given to you from a supreme ruler...aka me 8)
Your surpreme ruler, huh? Ruler of what? :P
I don't know if you realized, but I decided to give Charlie a minor role after all. He's going in and now Victor, your favourite character, will have a sidekick (or the other way around). Probably the other way around. I just feel as if it'll make the story a little more lively with him. Victor really needs his, er... master to make him really shine. I'm near the end of production, so I can't exactly make him a main route. I have high hopes that he'll make an interesting addition to the story.
I might add in a certain forest scene involving Charlie and Victor before the beach scene. Sammy reminded me of it while we were walking home, and I have the resources to make it. It's not going to be too long. I'll probably put in one CG for that. I'm excited to draw it now!
Don't worry! I'll finish this game, no doubt about it. I don't have too many things left to do for it. The majority is already done, except for the GUI. I'm thinking something sharp and modern-looking, but I'm not completely sure yet.

*King*

#8 Post by *King* »

Ana wrote:
*King* wrote:Yo, I had to make an account just to do this....you better thank me later.
Your surpreme ruler, huh? Ruler of what? :P
I don't know if you realized, but I decided to give Charlie a minor role after all. He's going in and now Victor, your favourite character, will have a sidekick (or the other way around). Probably the other way around. I just feel as if it'll make the story a little more lively with him. Victor really needs his, er... master to make him really shine. I'm near the end of production, so I can't exactly make him a main route. I have high hopes that he'll make an interesting addition to the story.
I might add in a certain forest scene involving Charlie and Victor before the beach scene. Sammy reminded me of it while we were walking home, and I have the resources to make it. It's not going to be too long. I'll probably put in one CG for that. I'm excited to draw it now!
Don't worry! I'll finish this game, no doubt about it. I don't have too many things left to do for it. The majority is already done, except for the GUI. I'm thinking something sharp and modern-looking, but I'm not completely sure yet.
MWUHAHAHA!!! The universe, what else? :D
So, VICTOR's not a main guy anymore?!!! YUSH!!!!! Though I guess you are right, he was the funny one out of all of them before. Yea...I don't know what you mean forest scene...I don't remember to be exact.
What's GUI? Good that you're almost done :D
Sharp...how about a pitch fork, those things are really pointy and they aren't that old either so it's modern looking too.

Ana
Regular

Re: XITIR [GxB][Slice of Life][Supernatural][Free]

#9 Post by Ana »

http://www.mediafire.com/download/2w3qb ... .0-all.zip

Okay, finally posted the demo! It's probably about 8% of the total script so far, likely to be around 5-6% later on.
The demo might be kind of confusing, but it'll make much more sense when the full game is released. (The full game explains everything).
Also, you're not put on a set path during the demo. The set path begins around half-way through the full game.

yukari_13

Re: XITIR [GxB][Slice of Life][Supernatural][Demo] UPDATE:AU

#10 Post by yukari_13 »

Hi! I just played the demo and...

- Which character do you like best? (Or least)
Mr. Blindfold guy! I dunno, he is kinda cool(im weird...)
- First impressions of the demo?
I like it. Too bad it wasnt very long.
- Is the demo too confusing? Is it a bad thing?
I little bit. But i think its a good thing. Confusion adds tension.
- Is the xitir guy too... pushy?
NOPE :D

- Childhood friends... too cliche?
Well, if there will be some twists here and there it can be very cool.
- How about jerky guys?
As long as they arent yanderes :lol:
- I included them in, but I feel like since it's cliche, it might ruin things a little.
Im ok with it.

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by philip »

Just downloaded and went through the demo one time. Seems interesting; will be interested to see the completed effort.

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

Ana
Regular

#12 Post by Ana »

yukari_13 wrote:Hi! I just played the demo and...

- Which character do you like best? (Or least)
Mr. Blindfold guy! I dunno, he is kinda cool(im weird...)
- First impressions of the demo?
I like it. Too bad it wasnt very long.
- Is the demo too confusing? Is it a bad thing?
I little bit. But i think its a good thing. Confusion adds tension.
- Is the xitir guy too... pushy?
NOPE :D

Well, if there will be some twists here and there it can be very cool.
- How about jerky guys?
As long as they arent yanderes :lol:
- I included them in, but I feel like since it's cliche, it might ruin things a little.
Im ok with it.
Ah, I didn't want to make the demo any longer because if I stopped it later, it wouldn't make much sense. The next few days are really light, mostly just to get to know the characters, let them hang out with the main character for a little, and put all the choices in there.
Hmm, now that I realize it, I never included a yandere. I regret it. It's kind of fun to write those. Then again, when I was making this, I was trying not to kill anyone off, even though my friend really hates Victor and would want him dead...
philip wrote:Just downloaded and went through the demo one time. Seems interesting; will be interested to see the completed effort.

philip
I hope to complete it sooner or later. Originally, I was hoping to finish it this month (and release it on the day when the demo was released), but that might be put off for a little while since I have school now.

Ana
Regular

Re: XITIR -- PROJECT Q [GxB][Supernatural] UPDATE:Dec23

#13 Post by Ana »

Holiday Seasons Update: Okay, it's about time I bumped this up!!!
I should have probably drawn a little santa hat on Aiden's head, or something, oh well.
I thought I would bump it up to show that I don't intend to drop the project, and while the script is getting sort of confusing to read, I will follow through with this and create a coherent script. Too bad that I won't really have too much time to work on things after this break (4 months of heavy schoolwork + likely 2 months of summer courses/volunteering), but after all this work, I will finish it!

sakurakimuchi
Regular

#14 Post by sakurakimuchi »

I loved the plot! That's probably my favorite thing so far, sounds interesting af.
And I don't think I have a favorite guy yet but Aiden is like me in some ways (I fall asleep everywhere at any time or place and well, academics are not my strong point lol) but I don't really like the tsundere types, so it's probably Riley, I guess? It's too early to tell.
Anyway, on with the questions...

Yes. But that doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing, there are good and bad cliches it all depends on how you'll work with it.
- How about jerky guys?
Not my personal favorite, but jerks have their share of fangirls out there (usually they tend to be popular, which never fail to surprise me)
- Yandere? Possessive?
As long as they're not like, super crazy psycho freaks that will murder me in my sleep, sure, why not? lol.

So yeah, good luck with the game! :mrgreen:

sakurakimuchi
Regular

#15 Post by sakurakimuchi »

Ana wrote:Holiday Seasons Update: Okay, it's about time I bumped this up!!!
I should have probably drawn a little santa hat on Aiden's head, or something, oh well.
I thought I would bump it up to show that I don't intend to drop the project, and while the script is getting sort of confusing to read, I will follow through with this and create a coherent script. Too bad that I won't really have too much time to work on things after this break (4 months of heavy schoolwork + likely 2 months of summer courses/volunteering), but after all this work, I will finish it!
He looks like a cross between Wolverine (I'm being so cliche right now lol) and Sweeney Todd. I liked it! :P