Intrepid [Psychological][Fantasy] COMPLETED

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Genesis
Regular
Completed: Intrepid
Deviantart: Genn-esis

Intrepid [Psychological][Fantasy] COMPLETED

#1 Post by Genesis »

NOTE: Intrepid is now completed! The finished game can be viewed here: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 11&t=35576

intrepid : fearless and adventurous (often used for rhetorical or humorous effect)

A renowned story regarding the virtuous sorcerers is as such:
"It is now year 3050, a millennium since the powerless humans were vanquished by our new leaders, the sorcerers. Thanks to our admirable heroes, magic is no longer seen as atypical and technology has advanced to an unparalleled level that had never been witnessed before in the human era. Yet—despite all their achievements—the sorcerers have continued to remain humble and have never slackened off from their duties. They are indeed magnificent and respectable leaders and we will never witness such noble creatures like the sorcerers for centuries that will come." - Anonymous

When had it all started? Well, let us rewind.
Perhaps it began from the current figures of power that are the sorcerers.
Perhaps it began from the founders of today's world, humans.
Perhaps it began from the terrifying word that is 'power'.
Well, guess what's funny? I have no idea what 'it' refers to at the first place.
Still, I wonder when it had all started.

Sometimes, you do not always have answers to your questions.
Just like why the sky is blue, or why crickets chirp at night, or why everything is a tangled bundle of dead knots that will never be untied...
...Life remains an ongoing mystery.

A cave lives a giant—isolated and cold. For all her life, she has deeply resented the almighty sorcerers, for she believes that they are the perpetrators to the giants' alienation.

However, in the one-hundredth year she has spent in the cave, she meets a frustratingly cheeky imp—whom she secretly calls Pest—as well as a creature she would have never imagined encountering before.

She thinks of herself as knowledgeable. She believes so. Yet, she soon realises that even the most sagacious creature can be blind towards certain aspects of a story.

The giant, Mireille
Tilda's first impression: She is the most snarky and pessimistic creature I have met in my entire life, and that is saying a whole lot. I am ninety-nine percent sure that the quote for her entire life would be: Everyone owes me a living. When will she ever brighten up?

The imp, Tilda (aka Pest)
Mireille's first impression: One word: Annoying. All I want is to sleep but Pest just loves to pester me with her incessant questions for hours! Indeed, her name is fitting for her. However, it feels like she has hidden troubles for some odd reason. Then again, I would not be surprised if she does. After all, everyone has secrets.

The ???, Rocky
Mireille's first impression: It seems nice enough, but everything about it is just so suspicious—from its attitude, speech to even its very appearance here. Should I even trust whatever it is saying?
Tilda's first impression: It is really humongous! When it first appeared, I thought I was going to be squashed alive. Oh well, I do think it is quite the fascinating creature. Never have I seen another very much like it.

STORY
Draft 1: 100% (Story format + script)
Draft 2: 100% (Refining details + more descriptive writing)
Draft 3: 60% (More refining + editing)

ART
Sprites: 100%
Background: 100%
GUI: 100%

OTHERS
Programming: 95% (Refining)
Music: 100%

Story. Sprites, GUI & Coding: Genesis
Backgrounds: Artist is unknown, but background was commissioned by Matthew Hutchins (ulfus) and hq2x was applied by Alte, DoGa, Uncle Mugen
Music: The Kyoto Connection, syncopika from LSF
Sound effects: Rental Sound, freesfx
Tilda and Mireille's sound effects: Vanille Velasquez / xKairi from LSF
Engine used: Ren'Py
Special thanks to:
raven.baskerville for editing and providing me extremely useful suggestions!
All those in LS Forums who have provided useful information regarding coding!

1. What do you think of the foreword?
2. What is your impression of the game so far?
3. Based on the first impressions given by others, what do you think of the characters?
4. Which aspect/s would you prefer a stronger focus on?
+ Fantasy elements
+ Development of themes
+ Development of characters (individually)
+ Development of friendships
5. Any other comments are welcomed!

Hello, all! This would be my first VN (made using Ren'Py). Also, this is a story that is somewhat out of my comfort zone; it is my first time writing something that is directly fantasy-related, and writing the tone and mood for this story is also something new for me. Therefore, I would really like to obtain feedback from some of you mainly regarding the foreword (which is a challenge for me to write, admittedly) as well as your opinions of the characters and plot. Please give me your honest opinions and I will definitely take them into consideration. Thank you :)
Attachments
bg.jpg
bg.jpg
Last edited by Genesis on Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:09 am, edited 23 times in total.

Noire
Regular
Projects: Mirage Noir

Re: Intreprid [Supernatural][Fantasy]

#2 Post by Noire »

Looks interesting so far :)
Very nicely done backgrounds, looking forward to see more.

Genesis
Regular

Re: Intreprid [Supernatural][Fantasy]

#3 Post by Genesis »

Noire wrote:Looks interesting so far :)
Very nicely done backgrounds, looking forward to see more.
Thank you! I'm glad you find it interesting. The beautiful mountain background can actually be found in the Creative Commons (which post I'm fortunate to encounter :D)

Genesis
Regular

Re: Intrepid [Supernatural][Fantasy]

#4 Post by Genesis »

This is just a quick update regarding the progress so far:

Programming - Finally, the programming for the slightly more complicated part (which is the GUI) is pretty much completed. Attached are examples of how the GUI will look like.

Writing - I have managed to complete most of it so far, which means that I can begin the hunt for music. Only a few scenes and the endings themselves are left, and once they are done, proofreading can commence! :D (Word count: 8039 atm)

That's all I have for this update. If any of you have any queries, feel free to ask me! :)
Attachments
i3.JPG

Genesis
Regular

#5 Post by Genesis »

Here are some other updates regarding the progress (unfortunately, I do not have any visual eye candy yet).
+ Draft 2 and the sourcing of music is completed.
+ For anyone who may be interested, I am recruiting a red-liner and editor so that intrepid can improve aesthetically and story-wise. More information can be found here: (http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 70#p385470)

Genesis
Regular

#6 Post by Genesis »

Okay, so here's just a few updates!
As most of you may have seen, the new Tilda sprite has been updated. This is most likely the finalised version but I may add a little more shading since it turned out less obvious than I expected.
Secondly, the progress of the new script is going pretty well. There will be an additional background other than the mountain (which means more eye candy :))

Genesis
Regular

Re: Intrepid [Psychological][Fantasy]

#7 Post by Genesis »

I feel like I should update this thread to keep all of you up-to-date, so here are the recent changes:
+ The formatting for the main post has been rectified so that it will look a bit more professional.
+ Draft 2 is completed and it is awaiting final revisions.
+ The sprites are completed as well although I still have to minimise Tilda's sprite to the dimensions of the game and sharpen its quality.
+ As for the programming, it will be settled after the sprites.
+ All screenshots are updated.

Even though it's pretty much the last stretch, progress will be a bit slow because examinations are coming up my way, so I seek all of your understanding! Just in case anyone is wondering, I still welcome any feedback regarding the synopsis. This will be all I have for now; my next update will probably concern the release of the beta version.