What writing do you look 4 in a VN

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
ChillTaco
Regular

What writing do you look 4 in a VN

#1 Post by ChillTaco »

You know, besides competent.

Im not to experienced with VN's. So I've been writing starting purely with dialogue. Eventually I began to question how to or if I should add narration. I tried it out, I liked it but.... Well Im writingsomewhat like how Sandlot or Stand By Me presented it.

The only real Vn Ive played was the Attorney series. So when it comes to reading or writing, how would you go about that in a VN?

Tyrantauranox
Regular

Re: What writing do you look 4 in a VN

#2 Post by Tyrantauranox »

I'd strongly recommend running through several of the most recommended VNs for research. I've seen them work fine with and without narration, and I think that choice depends much on what kind of experience you're going for.

Genesis
Regular
Completed: Intrepid
Deviantart: Genn-esis

#3 Post by Genesis »

Like what Tyrantauranox mentioned, it depends on what type of story you are writing. Just an additional note though: If you're planning to go by the full-dialogue route, it may be a little risky because there are barely any other details regarding the characters themselves other than their speaking manner, so that is just some food for thought.

If you're asking about how one can write narration, well... that is kinda difficult to explain. The only thing I can suggest is for you to read other stories and learn how other authors narrate their stories. Of course, you can also practice (practice makes perfect after all!) I think it will be easier for you to get the hang of it after more practicing. However, do remember that the tone should fit the mood of the story. I used to think that poetic writing and figurative language are a must in stories, and while I still think they are helpful to evoke certain kinds of feelings of the readers, they will probably be relatively out-of-place in some stories (e.g. comedy and crack).

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: What writing do you look for in a VN

#4 Post by gekiganwing »

ChillTaco wrote:... So I've been writing starting purely with dialogue. Eventually I began to question how to or if I should add narration. ...

The only real Vn Ive played was the Attorney series. So when it comes to reading or writing, how would you go about that in a VN?
I think you'll benefit from the following:

1. Creating the story that you want to tell. Furthermore, write it in ways that you find personally interesting.

2. Reading TVTropes' article So You Want to Write a Visual Novel. The site is a notorious time sink. However, this and a few related articles might help in your writing process.

3. Analyzing stories that you like. Try to separate the events and how they are presented. Write down specific things that you find interesting, praiseworthy, or frustrating.

4. Remember, most visual novels are a combination of words and pictures. Think whether it will be necessary to describe a room, an object, or a person. Can your description convey information which the picture can not? In other words, can you use writing to get across a sense of smell, taste, memory, or mood?

5. Writing a list of 'Things to include in my story,' and a separate list of 'Things to avoid in my story.' Consider settings, themes, length of story, character types, relationships, and anything else that's relevant.

Sometimes it's useful to look at professional and amateur visual novels for inspiration or instruction. For example, recently, I started reading Amnesia: Memories. The first scene had a character talking to the protagonist for several minutes. The scenes was not all that long, but I thought it dragged regardless. After it ended, I soon realized that the protagonist did not have any spoken dialogue. Her thoughts were conveyed only through questions and implications. I wasn't sure if I liked this reader identification method.

Also, don't limit yourself by just thinking about other visual novels. Be sure to consider other sources for references.

KuroOneHalf
Regular
Completed: Cuttlebone
Projects: Somewhere In The Shade
Deviantart: KuroOneHalf
itch: kuroonehalf

#5 Post by KuroOneHalf »

What's the point of using a first-person medium if you're not gonna have protagonist narration? Feels like a counter-productive dismissal of tools. Unless you have very engaging dialogue, a plot that entails lots of characters talking, and a limited geographic span for the scenes, then I would think not having narration could feel confusing or disorienting. It also has a toll on pacing that I'm not sure how you could deal with.

Also, you should probably get yourself a bit more accustomed to the medium before having your hand at it. See what the standards are, what kind of stories work and don't work with the format, and what storytelling devices you can use.

ChillTaco
Regular

#6 Post by ChillTaco »

Well yea, I notices the dialogue wasn't really enough a while back. Cause you couldn't get much unless I made the art a full on comic, which would have negated the purpose of it being a VN.

The game Itself was originally supposed to be a action side-scroller so I felt that a first person perspective would counter that since you play those types of games from the third person. I tried to keep the narration educated to contrast the dialogue.

Sample:

So he shoved the doors open and smiled, spotting the dj on the other side of the room. As he walked toward the man he decided then the most intelligent way to greet and inform the dj of his intentions.

JJ: “Hey there dj, Im here for the sexy party.”

You could say the dj was shocked, Disco's tone of voice driving him to feeling discomforted.

DJ: “What?!”
JJ: “Change the music and you're gonna find out.”
DJ: “I ....WHAT?”
JJ: “Never mind, Ill do it myself.”

_

Just realized that out of context the above sounds dirty.

I would read other VN's but I just don't think I have it in me. I cant get into things that center around getting into someones pants, not trying to insult the VN genre, just most of the 'good ones' are of little interest. And ah geez, I know how to read, I've read books. I've read screen plays.