Nostalgia: Two Worlds | One Soul [Kickstarter Live] [Demo]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
JlmCx
Tumblr: magnastudios

Nostalgia: Two Worlds | One Soul [Kickstarter Live] [Demo]

#1 Post by JlmCx »

Link to our Kickstarter!
Download Android App
Download PC App
GUIDE (In case you get lost)

Work in progress, thread was made to collect opinions and create a better game.
Most of the assets, gameplay, information and screenshots has not been release yet.
Do not expect a fully description of the game right now.
Work In Progress Website!
-THE GAME-
Nostalgia is committed to bring you a fully-interactive experience for WiiU & PC.

Join Alice to find the answers of the Universe in this Interactive Adventure/Graphic Novel game set in the present world & a Cyberpunk world.

Nostalgia is a hybrid between genres such as Visual Novels and Rpgs. We're trying to do our best to mix both genre in this game. Gameplay heavily inspired of games such as Phoenix Wright,
999/Zero Escape: Virtue Last Reward, Snatcher, and classic RPGs like Mother, and the great stories such as Brave New World book. We want to bring new feels to Adventure / Graphic Games.

-Features-

Unique Characters from each worlds - Even though you may interact/play with your alter ego, every character is different. Everyone has different moods, ideas and even different weapon types.
Beautiful Graphics - We are working extremely hard to bring beautiful, stylized and fully-animated graphics to your screen.
Full Interaction - In Nostalgia, you will be able to interact with almost everything, and each object will have its own, unique description.
Unexpected Outcomes - We want cliches out, simple as that. Solid true twists, no sugar coating.
Decision Making - Each decision has it owns outcome. So re-playability is guarantee

-Story-

The discovery of the new planer "Arcan" has changed astronomy forever.
We don't know much about the planet yet, our only theory is that it is composed
by a new component that we called "Arcanus."

You play as a young girl called Alice. She's a regular college student of Chemical Engineering.
The last day of classes, she suffers strange pain that let her disabled for a couple of minutes.
While she is out, she dreams of herself in a room, lock in, with no escape.
Alice is being told that she needs to escape in 10 minutes or else, she would die.

When Alice was born she was taken away to be used as an experiment.
Due to the failure and the death of the scientific she was released and stood homeless.
Alice is composed by the element Arcanus, which allows human being open portals to travel around both universes.
If a person dies in one universe, his/her alter ego also dies.

The game talks about the Multi-Universe theory, each

Nostalgia features a heavy, deep and cruel story. There's Violence, Murder, Heavy language, and strong references. This is a game aimed to 16+.

-Characters-

Both worlds Alices!
ImageImage

-Screenshots-

We're aiming to develop a 20+ hours game, fully voiced, and the most quality possible.
Please, I'd like to hear your honest opinion so far.

Thank you so much, and have a good day!
Last edited by JlmCx on Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:21 am, edited 11 times in total.

HiddenCreature
Regular
Projects: Vampire: The New Birth

Re: Nostalgia: Two Worlds | One Soul [Drama/Suspense]

#2 Post by HiddenCreature »

1) I like the backgrounds for the city, they look pretty nice.

2) Potentially. I'd just need more description on how you plan to fulfill your stated goals in the game.

3) I can't find the definition of dls. What currency is that?

4) I personally don't know about puzzle zones, so can't comment. Sorry.

5) Yeah. If it serves a purpose, why not.

6) No. In fact, I think most players will encourage that.

You'll really want to check your grammar, though. There were some parts that left me slightly confused.

As for the kickstarter, you've already done the hard part of creating content to advertise. You just need to find some people to showcase your game. From experience, and from what I've seen, marketing is what really determines if projects of any kind are funded.

Here's a link you'll find helpful in the promotion of your game.

http://www.crowdcrux.com/9-places-promo ... ign=buffer

JlmCx

#3 Post by JlmCx »

HiddenCreature wrote:1) I like the backgrounds for the city, they look pretty nice.

2) Potentially. I'd just need more description on how you plan to fulfill your stated goals in the game.

3) I can't find the definition of dls. What currency is that?

4) I personally don't know about puzzle zones, so can't comment. Sorry.

5) Yeah. If it serves a purpose, why not.

6) No. In fact, I think most players will encourage that.

You'll really want to check your grammar, though. There were some parts that left me slightly confused.

As for the kickstarter, you've already done the hard part of creating content to advertise. You just need to find some people to showcase your game. From experience, and from what I've seen, marketing is what really determines if projects of any kind are funded.

Here's a link you'll find helpful in the promotion of your game.

http://www.crowdcrux.com/9-places-promo ... ign=buffer
Thanks for suggestion, HiddenCreature!
Dls = Dollars. Should've used USD instead, haha. Sorry for the confusion.

HiddenCreature
Regular

#4 Post by HiddenCreature »

You're welcome :)

It's okay. $10-15 is actually being generous. 20+ hours, plus the gameplay I saw on your website, you could sell this for $15-20. If you get the extra funds for it, I'd also consider possible dlc. If this game turns out as good as I expect, I'll certainly want to buy any future expansions.

JlmCx

#5 Post by JlmCx »

Thanks once again!

JlmCx

#6 Post by JlmCx »

Hello Once again!
We've got some new voice lines for the main character!

Line 1

Line 2

Line 3

Line 4

JlmCx

Re: Nostalgia: Two Worlds | One Soul [Kickstarter Now Live!]

#7 Post by JlmCx »

Link to our Kickstarter!

HeyGuys!

I want to point out that I will be releasing a demo in the next month if every goes as the same pace as now!
The demo will be a prelogue of the game, exactly where our protagonist is being kept.
The Demo will give you the option to go directly to the story mode or jump right away to the puzzle sections.
I'm pretty excited to show the game to you all!

You can also listen to a musical piece here:
Situation
Last edited by JlmCx on Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

HiddenCreature
Regular

#8 Post by HiddenCreature »

Nice! Looking forward to it.

Noire
Regular
Projects: Mirage Noir

#9 Post by Noire »

I'm loving the aet so far, lookig forward to it :)

JlmCx

#10 Post by JlmCx »

Thanks to both of you!
Here's a old test video that I uploaded today.
Keep in mind, this was just a test video and does not represent the expereince of the game. It was mostly for a devblog, but I decided to do that.

JlmCx

#11 Post by JlmCx »

Progress:
After:

Razz
Veteran
Completed: Starlight Vega, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails
Projects: Two projects
Organization: Razzartvisual

#12 Post by Razz »

JlmCx wrote:Thanks to both of you!
Here's a old test video that I uploaded today.
Keep in mind, this was just a test video and does not represent the expereince of the game. It was mostly for a devblog, but I decided to do that.
This looks extremely promising! Simple but well done - I like it.

Out of curiosity, who are the team members for your game?

Roxie
Regular
Projects: Assess K, Mizuchi
Organization: Aikasa Collective, Altabe Studio
itch: aikasacolle

#13 Post by Roxie »

Ooo another adventure game XD This is looking really great! I'm definitely eager to try out the puzzle portion of the game. Have you advertised this in the Adventure Gamers forum? There's a dedicated group there that loves Japanese style adventure games.

I would also like more background on the experience level the team members have before I would consider backing any KS campaign. 20+ hours is pretty ambitious after all, and another VN adventure game of similar size and quality gave me red flags, which came true many months later. I'm just really impressed by the quality so I'm eager to see how this turns out :D
ImageImage
Assess K (VN Adventure Game) LSF Thread | Mizuchi (GxG VN) LSF Thread | Honest Critique
[Proofreader, Beta-Tester]
Razz Art Visual - Starlight Vega [Co-writer]
Roseverte - Cafe-0, Duplicity, East Tower, How to Take Off Your Mask; Bakufu - Love Sniper
Zeiva Inc. - Train of Afterlife, OASE, X-Note, Area-X, Voices from the Sea, Natural - Beyond Nature, Dragon Essence, Anicon - Cat

JlmCx

#14 Post by JlmCx »

Just a new gif (Click to see the gif!):

This is more a "developer" gif than a "for public" gif ahaha.
Razz wrote: This looks extremely promising! Simple but well done - I like it.

Out of curiosity, who are the team members for your game?
Thank you!

We are three on the main team (with no freelancers).
In total (counting Freeelancers and Voice Acting) around 9 total.
Roxie wrote:Ooo another adventure game XD This is looking really great! I'm definitely eager to try out the puzzle portion of the game. Have you advertised this in the Adventure Gamers forum? There's a dedicated group there that loves Japanese style adventure games.

I would also like more background on the experience level the team members have before I would consider backing any KS campaign. 20+ hours is pretty ambitious after all, and another VN adventure game of similar size and quality gave me red flags, which came true many months later. I'm just really impressed by the quality so I'm eager to see how this turns out :D
Thank you! Glad you liked it!
As for the main team background experience. I have work in the videogame industry before (I do background Design, Characters & Enemies and Programming), the other team members are a Professional Architect(Puzzles and Programming) and a News Writer (Story).

We are planning to do a 20+ hours for the game, but it's divided in 4 main stories (yes, all in the same game, not DLC or anything like that). All of them happen at the same time, in different places.
Once you end the first "episode" (5-6 hours), the second one will be unlocked and a lot of thing that happened on the first episode will be explained on the second one and so on...

As for the Kickstarter, we're planning to do one, but we want to show as much material as possible, so people can trust us. I know a Visual Novel on Kickstarter that collected a good amount of money and they haven't delivered yet. I know how much that suck, so we don't want to go through all that. Like I said, we want to offer as much as possible before opening the KS.

As for the Adventure Gamers forum, Can I go and post my information there? Is self-promo allowed? Thanks for the info!

We will releasing a video pretty soon, please stay tune! I pretty sure a lot of you are going to like it!

Cirrocumulus-Cloud
Regular
Projects: Tag Dogs
Tumblr: cirrocumulus-cloud

#15 Post by Cirrocumulus-Cloud »

-So far, are you happy with the graphics? Yes/No? Why?

Very happy. I love how smooth the graphics look. The heavy contrast in colours for shading makes the characters 'pop' and I like that. Makes you look at the sprites first and the backgrounds second - which, btw, are just as lovely as the characters themselves.

-If we ever release a Kickstarter, you think you would support it? Why?

I would. I cannot say how much because I don't actually have a job for the rest of this year (I need to take care of my mother, who will undergo surgery soon) but I would definitely spread the word and advertise this project as best as I could.

-Do you think somewhere between 10-15 dollars is an honest price? Why?

If we base the price on the length, the voice acting, the beautiful art as well as the dedication of your team, then I can certainly see 10-15 bucks working out. I'm a fan of week one sales and I think that strategy could lure in a lot of potential customers, too. ("Buy this week and save 30% of the price!" or something similar.)

-The game is a Visual Novel, however we're implementing puzzles zones (just like VLR/999) and a 1v1 battle system (complementary to the story). How does this make you feel?

As an avid lover of all RPGs (be it JRPG or western RPG) I can certainly say that I LOVE this idea. Battle systems can be a lot of fun and provide a breathe of fresh air after a long session of reading and making choices and puzzles, if implemented well, can be intriguing too. Puzzles are definitely one of the more dividing features of text based games, though. You can do a lot wrong with them by not implementing enough clues, or it might make the player feel dumb because you give half of the solution away. Maybe, if it isn't too difficult to implement, you could try to offer the player help for puzzles and the ability to disable them?

-There is high violence, nudes, murder. Would you still like to play it?

Yup. My preferred manga genre is thriller/psychological horror, so I'm fine with violence and all that stuff. It is actually rather funny, considering that I am a tiny, fragile girl who eats snacks during gorey or scary scenes while most of my older friends jump in their seats.

-As we before, we're doing our best to bring full interactive experience. This mean, most of the object will have some form of interactivity. Do you think this will affect the way you play/read Visual Novels?

Of course! It makes me think of Another Code and I LOVED that game. Interacting with stuff to establish lore, give characters personality etc. is very interesting in my opinion. And those that do not like it can simply ignore most of it.

I wish you guys a lot of luck and will definitely follow this project! =D