Emissary of Starlight [Magical Girl] [Psychological]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Feral Phoenix
Regular
Completed: Uncommon Time, The Witch-in-Training and the Magic Seal, Refinery
Projects: The Sullen Boku Girls Alliance
Tumblr: dialoguelostloop
itch: feralphoenix

Re: Emissary of Starlight [Magical Girl] [Psychological]

#16 Post by Feral Phoenix »

I will say that that there will be no slut-shaming from either me or the narrator, as sexuality has absolutely nothing to do with someone's moral fiber. Other characters, of course, might throw slurs at her (for example, tabloid magazines stalking the Magical Girls)--but this sexism will be portrayed negatively. In no way does her sexuality diminish her altruism; she's portrayed as both sexually liberated and kind, not sexually liberated but kind.
Yaaaaaaay! This is good reassurance to have; I am now a full 120% more excited for this project. ;w; I love crass and uninhibited girl characters, and whenever a story sets about "reforming" them to be more palatable in any way I'm like noooooooooo because they're rare as hen's teeth as it is. Don't change... you're beautiful...
My Games Hub Page
Original
Uncommon Time (RPG Maker VX Ace) | Refinery (Ren'Py) | The Sullen Boku Girls Alliance (RPG Maker VX Ace)
Collab
The Witch-in-Training and the Magic Seal (RPG Maker VX Ace - illustration, English translation)
Translated
Tragic Muppets (RPG Maker VX Ace) | The Gaol of Eternity (RPG Maker XP) | I Wished For (RPG Maker VX Ace) | Gathering the Magic (RPG Maker VX Ace) | Rainy Drop (RPG Maker VX Ace)

Parataxis
Regular
Projects: Shadow City, Scribbles!
Tumblr: asktheprismguard

#17 Post by Parataxis »

Just dropping back in to say I really like your screenshots! I want to play you game tons now. Also your additions to the profiles helped a lot! I too am really intrigued by the MC here, and I think part of it is that he is so very different from the normal sort of character you play in both role and appearance. Especially in games like this!
I have to wonder, if there are 'shards' and 'fragments', whether there is an even bigger entity out there or if the idea of a 'whole' of some sort that may be reconstructed as fragments merge together exists.
^ I had not even considered this and now I an excited and terrified.

LeonDaydreamer
Veteran
Projects: A Near Dawn, Put A Sock In It!, Ghosts Are Good Hosts

#18 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

neuropsy wrote:
LeonDaydreamer wrote:also, I have to wonder, if there are 'shards' and 'fragments', whether there is an even bigger entity out there or if the idea of a 'whole' of some sort that may be reconstructed as fragments merge together exists.
*whistles* Keen that you've noticed that... I can't say any more on that topic, though. :p
More mysteries...
neuropsy wrote:Re: Harmony>> I actually was worried about this! Once I release a demo, I'll probably see whether I should release a version that tones the vulgarity down. The game will have no explicit sex scenes though, even if the character is having fun with that behind the scenes. xD ..... I will say that that there will be no slut-shaming from either me or the narrator, as sexuality has absolutely nothing to do with someone's moral fiber. Other characters, of course, might throw slurs at her (for example, tabloid magazines stalking the Magical Girls)--but this sexism will be portrayed negatively. In no way does her sexuality diminish her altruism; she's portrayed as both sexually liberated and kind, not sexually liberated but kind. I'll give you a hint about her story: [HINT]
Well that hint certainly intrigues me. I suppose Harmony is the most honest with herself and what you see is what you get. I like that idea... makes me wonder about the others now, though. I didn't mean that it would be problematic for her to be a character that enjoys/appreciates sex (there's nothing wrong with that, by all means ;P ), rather I guess the first impression I got from her description and quote was of someone who is caring, but also has no filter and swears all the time. I might be jumping to conclusions, but I can see how a character like that could really work, and also how they could push the audience away, depending on how you treated them. I'd be interested to see how you execute her. :)
ImageImageImageImage

neuropsy
Regular
Projects: Emissary of Starlight
Tumblr: emissaryofstarlight

#19 Post by neuropsy »

When Harmony's not defeating Shards/Fragments or sufficiently drunk, she wears a simple tank top and short shorts as her casual outfit. Notice the difference between the hibiscus in her hair between her Magical Girl form and civilian form; namely, her hair pin becomes enchanted with life!

As a writing update, the second chapter is very close to being finished! Here are the stats so far:

The game contains 2,099 dialogue blocks, containing 22,267 words and 128,118
characters, for an average of 10.6 words and 61 characters per block.
"Everyone was jumping a giant jump rope, but I was too scared to join. I was hesitant, like a child, always waiting for you."
Current Project: Emissary of Starlight

Alera
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Tortichki // Zayay // Hero's Spirit
Deviantart: psyalera
itch: psyalera

#20 Post by Alera »

A bit late to post but I'm really happy to see this game announced! >v< Finally I can make a better connection between the adorable characters I've been drawing and the actual plot. I'm excited to be working on this and I look forward to further updates!
Games:
❤️ Zayay [Otome?][BxPlayer][NaNo 2013]
❤️ Tortichki [Drag&Drop mini game]

Other games I've worked on:
My Heart's Flame Emissary of Starlight Freedom From Silence Sickness
And many more unannounced/secret projects. (. .)

Heiden
Regular
Completed: Elvine, The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers, Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend, Beyond the Deep, The Bog's Heart, The Girl With the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A
Projects: The Town Pages, Kill the Prince?! [Nano 2020]
Tumblr: heidengames
itch: Heiden

#21 Post by Heiden »

(Oh gosh I've been meaning to comment for forever~)

Aaahh I love magical girl stories and I really like the darker tone you have here. And the art is so pretty~ <3

This looks great and I'm really eager to see where it'll go! :D

Keep up the great work!
Completed: Elvine (GxB), The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers (GxG)(As Writer, Coder), Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend (BxB), Beyond the Deep (GxB)(As Artist), The Bog's Heart, The Girl with the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A.

All available to play on my itch.io page!

neuropsy
Regular
Projects: Emissary of Starlight
Tumblr: emissaryofstarlight

#22 Post by neuropsy »

The First CG!

I'm happy to report progress has been continuing steadily! This year should see multiple updates (given I've just graduated college, woohoo!).

Early spoiler warning for those who'd like to view the first CG: http://i68.tinypic.com/e0sbqa.png
Just who is this new character? ;)
"Everyone was jumping a giant jump rope, but I was too scared to join. I was hesitant, like a child, always waiting for you."
Current Project: Emissary of Starlight

sugarsaw1

#23 Post by sugarsaw1 »

I'm glad to see things are going well! Still looking forward to this!

Alcor
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNo '16), misSHAPEn love! (NaNo '16)
Projects: a(t)rium
itch: cosmic-albacore

#24 Post by Alcor »

1. What's your opinion on the synopsis? (For example, does it sound cliche, interesting, bare, etc.)

I'm intrigued! Terminology like 'Shard' and 'Fragment' are rather vague, but I am really curious how they all tie together (and what they'll look like). I'm definitely half-expecting some really dark twists, which is always awesome.

2. What's your opinion on the characters? (For example, does any one character stand out as particular interesting/boring?)

I like all three of the character so far! I think it's awesome that the Narrator is a non-human (and a cute one at that!), and that there are two major human characters instead of the usual one. I'm particularly intrigued by Harmony, and look forward to seeing how she reacts to the events around her.

3. What's your first impression of this visual novel?

I saw your tumblr, and the sample CGs really caught my eye! The art definitely has a magical sort of quality to them. That doesn't exactly answer your question, though... I guess I perceive this project as a very psychological one (especially with one of the major characters having neuropsychological powers), and I'm really curious to see what twists her abilities bring out.

4. Fun question time. Based on what you've read, tell me what you think you foresee happening. I won't confirm or deny your response, but I'm sure the answer will be entertaining on both our ends. :p

Welp, I'm actually really, really bad at predicting things. I'll pass on this one for now Q_Q

5. Any other questions/comments?

Best of luck~