Ebon Light [Fantasy][Dark][GxB] - Demo Updated!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ColaCat
Veteran

Re: Ebon Light [Fantasy][Dark][GxB]

#136 Post by ColaCat »

*realises art critic glasses aren't broken anymore* Glad I could be of assistance!

I should probably practice my anatomy...>_<
Speaking of which, did you manage to find that book you needed?

Just think of your bad luck as good luck! If you hadn't had that second tablet...*trembles*

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#137 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Duli has such beautiful hair . . .
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

underbliss
Regular
Projects: Ebon Light
Tumblr: underbliss
Deviantart: Ahnna

#138 Post by underbliss »

Hello, long denied lemmasoft thread! I have not been ignoring you, simply trying to gear up for a worthy update given the time it's been since I've updated!
..Which of course is an ever increasing snowball as anything sort of logical suggests but here I am~ So I apologize for the radio silence but I'm back on track!

Cola! The book was 'Drawing the Human Body An Anatomical Guide' by Giovanni Civardi. I found it while I was cleaning weeks ago! It is now sitting happily right in front of me and my tablet~

Update time!

With the various things amiss in my life awhile ago progress lulled but past couple weeks I've been picking up momentum something crazy, and I'm in particular excited about this:
As Mad Harlequin asked months and months ago if customizable would include the main characters appearance, and I regretfully told her it would not because I believed it beyond my scope at the time, I've come to realize it would.. in fact.. be quite doable!
So in the current version of Ebon Light, you can now, totally, bonafide, customize the main character. Her face, body shape, and ~general~ hair length aren't customizable, the latter for the sake of making CG's as painless as possible and the foremost a combination of the CG and workload.

In line with this, since I was always intending to add in a way for players to unlock outfits at some point (in a purely sort of side venture reserved for those interested in pursuing such things), you can now 'buy' new hairstyles and such. I haven't integerated this section of gameplay yet so I can't say quite how it will work, but it will be (ideally) narrated heavily by story and events so it doesn't seem too jarring from typical VN play and is as fluid and natural as possible. I like to imagine it works something like taking the chances as they come to visit local markets, but I am of course trying to avoid monotonous or tedious or boring gameplay, so we'll see. I'm at an early stage for this so if anyone has any ideas or suggestions throw them at me!

Further, today I'm working on integrating the character page. Since it was mentioned that a lot of people were really concerned about being able to overview their stats, I'm going to allow them to completely. In a 'see as much as you dare' sort of fashion, though I recommend paying stats minimal attention, if you simply can't or really don't want to , you'll be able to see where you stand on the various personality scales.

Your character page will hold other stats. As I was brainstorming other sorts of 'rpg' functions a character page became more and more practical... for instance, there will be arunning currency in the game that will serve perhaps obviously in the aquisition of the protagonist's shinies but also in some romance routes (*cough*Duli) and plot opportunities (you know how sometimes you can avoid a massive scale conflict without ever raising a fist by simply waving money in the right people's faces?) I'm still quite on the fence about how battles will go down, and this is also something that's not been integrated yet so I can't give too many specifics and have rambled about this on here before, but alllll this stuff was pointing at the necessity of a character page so I've given in!
Hopefully will have mocked up and implemented the barebones design including the absolutely secured features and be able to show that soon.

Aside from the fringe quality of life feature type stuff I've been finishing up art and editing script. Nothing too exciting there, I tend to draw in a rather scattered fashion and fully expect I'll be tinkering with all of the sprites until the final game is released, but here are updated previews of the love interests;

ImageImage
ImageImage

I want to get some in game screen shots up asap, but that requires backgrounds and such which is what is holding me up at the moment. I've been rather code and script minded lately so exploiting that for what it's worth while I can.

That's it for right now!
Phew I feel like I sure do ramble a lot when I ~do~ post even if this time it took me a few months!
Last edited by underbliss on Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wayward
Regular

#139 Post by wayward »

I like your characters. Dark is always good in my book.

bloodband

#140 Post by bloodband »

Ahh I'm so happy to see an update! I was just thinking a couple weeks ago how it's been a while and I was worried! So glad to see you are doing okay. ^^

That added CC is so amazing though, I can't even imagine that it's an easy workload to add on with the variations... that being said those options are so good! Skin tone option means I can create my favorite OC in the game! *excitement*
For the outfits/hairstyles, obviously I'm not sure how the script or plot is going to go... but I'd imagine it'd be like you could be given a bit of free time at some point and can use it to go shop for outfits? Or it could be like in Harvest Moon games where having friendship with people and they'll give you things? You know... I haven't played any visual novels with any customization really so I am kind of at a loss on how to easily integrate that. I personally wouldn't mind it even if it was a little bit more like how dating sims do it.

I love the idea with currency and now I really want to be a money hoarder~

The sprites look so good... Lacey is just the cutest grump! :3

I guess I'm not very helpful with game design stuff but hopefully my words are at least motivating! :D

Erikka
Regular

#141 Post by Erikka »

I'm so happy there's an update for this game!
The characters look brilliant. Each of them is very hot!.. The only thing that bothers me is the face of Duliae Laushust. He looks different than before... and he looks a bit strange. Very big lips and chin and the nose seems also bigger now. I don't want to sound harsh but in my opinion he looked better before.
I still feel pity that the red-haired guy(as far as I remember his name is Irme) isn't romanceable!)
And customizable heroine - is an awesome thing! You're so talented! Very nice job! :mrgreen:

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#142 Post by Harliqueen »

I'm so excited for this, it all looks stunning!

Duliae's hair sends me into a fit of jealousy though, it is gorgeous :D

It's really sounding and looking incredible, I can't wait for more updates :)
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

underbliss
Regular

#143 Post by underbliss »

@wayward - Thanks! Ohh, you and me both. I can appreciate a wide range of tones but there's nothing quite as exciting for me as the dark ones~

@bloodband - Ahhh I'm sorry it was starting to cause worry, I don't intend to let this project drift away I've put too much time into it!
Haha excellent~ Truth be told when I was testing things in it me and my friend were remaking certain characters as well >.> Ohh those are good suggestions! Yes it would bea lot easier to offer ideas on that up when you had a better idea of where that content would be inserted, pff.. Well, I intend on updating the demo soon which should include some time that stretches into where that stuff would be so!
You totally are helpful feedback is absolutely crucial with these things and it ~is~ very motivating!

@Erikka - Ohh I'm glad you're mostly pleased! Pff haha you aren't being harsh at all, I'm really interested in how people feel about stuff positive or otherwise. To be honest Duli is the one I struggle with drawing the most and yes, he does look very different than before. What I'm most curious about is whether or not you feel he looks strange as in off or incorrect, or if he is simply less attractive or unattractive compared to the others?
Thank you! Look! I strongly doubt I would have tried to get a customization feature into this game if that thread hadn't popped up in the cookbook so in that sense the credit goes there~

@Harliqueen - Aww, thank you! Then we can have mutual excitement for each other's projects ;)~

edit: and Erikka, you're thinking of 'Imre', I believe! He's but a minor character :(

Erikka
Regular

#144 Post by Erikka »

underbliss wrote: @Erikka - Ohh I'm glad you're mostly pleased! Pff haha you aren't being harsh at all, I'm really interested in how people feel about stuff positive or otherwise. To be honest Duli is the one I struggle with drawing the most and yes, he does look very different than before. What I'm most curious about is whether or not you feel he looks strange as in off or incorrect, or if he is simply less attractive or unattractive compared to the others?
Thank you! Look! I strongly doubt I would have tried to get a customization feature into this game if that thread hadn't popped up in the cookbook so in that sense the credit goes there~(
Speaking about Duli: I think he became less attractive(especially compared to the others), before he looked more handsome and had more refined features. I don't know if he looks "incorrect" but for example his lips look like he did a lip augmentation)
yes, Imre! He's so attrective! His face and his red hair are mesmerizing!

underbliss
Regular

#145 Post by underbliss »

HA! Oh wow that put pictures in my head.. I'm sitting here trying to figure out if he would ever get cosmetic procedures done and ... like medieval plastic surgeons seem absolutely terrifying... ANYWAY I agree that he has gone through a significant transformation perhaps the most of them all, I had been struggling with him aesthetically farrrr more than any of the others. As such I'm particularly paranoid with him that something is 'wrong' with his face, anatomically, but I am content if he is considered less attractive... however! We always have Imre! As I'm thinking about it, for what it's worth, the other projects I have on the shelf for later all have more red hair. ;)

ColaCat
Veteran

#146 Post by ColaCat »

^o^ Woah, so glad this is being updated! I love the new CC! It looks amazing. Also, well done for finding the book! I think it just goes to show that cleaning once in a while solves all problems, aha. ^_^

completelyaddicted21

#147 Post by completelyaddicted21 »

Im soo excited for this VN!! I literally created this account just now in order to comment on this thread :lol:
I love how you can completely customise the protagonist's looks and even her personality, never found VNs that has made that option available before. Your art style is also just so gorgeous and exquisite! Its quite unique and I love how its very painterly (if that makes sense) Its very impressionistic in a way because of how you could still see the brushstrokes and its albeit rough, instead of the typical art style with super blended colors with bold outlines. I wish you the best of luck in finishing this project!
All in all, the premise of this sounds very promising! Never been so excited for a VN release as much as this EEP!

P.S Haron Milirose is especially hot out of the five brothers <3 <3
(another P.S excuse the repeated use of "!"s im just so excited if u couldnt tell already HAHAH)

underbliss
Regular

#148 Post by underbliss »

Cola - Ahh Cola I'm so glad you're still about , posting and such! Thank you, you'd think that would mean I'd clean more but nope!

completelyaddicted - Ahmygosh that is such a compliment <3 <3 Thank you very much for your compliment and yeah it's not too common yet but it's found in some little gems and getting more common, I think!
Ahah no worries I use an excess of !!!'s and ...'s and who knows what else and ahh Haron is my dear friend's .. physical! favorite as well ;)~

I don't have any snazzy pictures or info to share this time still widdling away at the same stuff I've mentioned before (backgroundsssssss!) I will update asap!

ColaCat
Veteran

#149 Post by ColaCat »

Good luck with the backgrounds! Aha, yup, still here! *refuses to budge* ^_^

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#150 Post by AntiquedFae »

I'm still here too, and you're not getting rid of me either! ;P It's just way too awesome of a game for you to be free of us.
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.