Including hints/tips on game release

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

Including hints/tips on game release

#1 Post by Harliqueen »

I was wondering what anyone's thoughts were on including a hints/tips 'manual' in with their game on release?

I know it's common for people to give tips about it after release if people get stuck, but I was thinking of non-spoiler type tips that would help or possibly enhance someone's playthrough rather than give away anything?

For example, in my upcoming VN, I have different types of choice, but the two main types of choices that crop up are ruler type choices (which decide the type of ruler they will become) and personality choices.

Personality choices will always have four options, ruler type will always have five.

Would that be a good kind of thing to let people know, as it might help them enjoy it more, if they knew which choices would an effect on their ruler type choice and which wouldn't?

(Maybe having an option on the main menu to see tips- rather than a document or manual in the game folder- would work well?)

I hope that makes sense! :D Thanks for any opinions/advice.
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: KiaAzad
Discord: Kia#6810

Re: Including hints/tips on game release

#2 Post by Kia »

tip of the day. push this for tips, tooltips, rules page or anything that helps the player to learn more about the game will add to your games user-friendliness.

MorchellaGames

#3 Post by MorchellaGames »

If it's well implemented, I don't see why it would be a bad idea!

For me, a feature like this is a nice to have, but it should not hinder the main development of the VN/game.

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

#4 Post by YossarianIII »

IMO, it would depend on the game. Playing, say, Civ IV without any sort of tips or manual would be kind of insane. On the other hand, I just downloaded an adventure game called Dropsy where one of the main draws is there's no text -- you have to figure things out visually. It's pretty cool!

I think what you suggested -- putting tips on the main menu -- is usually a good compromise. It'd be visible enough for players that want it, but unobtrusive enough for players that don't. But again, it would ultimately depend on the game itself.

Image Image

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#5 Post by Harliqueen »

Thank you for the advice! :)

I think I might go the unobtrusive route (probably on the main menu), so as it's an option for those who want it, but also can be out of the way for those who don't.
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

Kailoto
Veteran
Completed: No VNs, but a few novels. :D
Projects: Artificial, Seven Deaths (inactive)

#6 Post by Kailoto »

If you have an official site, or even an official thread here at LSF, you could also put a link to a walkthrough of your own creation, meaning you can provide both definitive walkthroughs and spoiler-free hints in one place. Not all games need this, and it might be a lot of work for something that is rarely used, but it's a thought!
Things I've Written:
Sakura (Novel, Self Published, 80,000+ words)
City and Girl (Novel, First Draft, 70,000+ words)
Loka (Novel, Third Draft, 120,000+ words)

A layabout writer and programmer with lots of problems and even more ideas. Hyped for Persona 5.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#7 Post by LVUER »

For Visual Novel, I think Tiger Dojo is a great example.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#8 Post by papillon »

For Black Closet, I took a hint from big RPGs I play, which are constantly giving little suggestions on loading screens (and you see loading screens a lot). So I built a calendar screen for the beginning of each week, which serves multiple purposes: it helps situate you in time with the game world, see how far you've come and what's coming up in the future, but it also displays a REMINDER notice with little gameplay tips in it.

Many of those tips were already covered in the tutorial but they don't always sink in the first time around.

There's also a help file but I doubt anyone actually looks at it.