Does Anyone Know a List of Indie Game Publishers?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
HiddenCreature
Regular
Projects: Vampire: The New Birth

Does Anyone Know a List of Indie Game Publishers?

#1 Post by HiddenCreature »

Hi,

I'm looking for potential publishers for our upcoming game, and wondered who might know of some potential contacts?

I tried Sekai Project, but they're currently not taking submissions,

I can't use Square Enix Collective, because our game has already been used in a crowdfunding campaign (which they assist with in new submissions)

And I contacted Black Shell Media, but their company wasn't interested in a game about vampires, which is the theme of our game.

So, do any of you know a few indie game publishers I can try contacting? Thank you :)

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat

Re: Does Anyone Know a List of Indie Game Publishers?

#2 Post by firecat »

you do know that having a publisher does not really grant you many views or downloads or extra money. the only thing publishers do is upload games into already possible uploading sites that someone alone can do it.

special thanks to nantoka.main.jp and iichan_lolbot

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#3 Post by Rinima »

firecat wrote:you do know that having a publisher does not really grant you many views or downloads or extra money. the only thing publishers do is upload games into already possible uploading sites that someone alone can do it.
I wouldn't quite say that, since a well-known publisher could potentially get you more media coverage and get the word about your game more so than one might have achieved on their own. On that note though, I personally can't think of any other visual novel publishers, and you'd be better off going after a publisher that is better known.
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

HiddenCreature
Regular

#4 Post by HiddenCreature »

@firecat: I don't know who told you that. Rinima is right, well known publishers assist with media coverage, so people actually know to buy your game on distribution channels.

@Rinima: it doesn't have to be a visual novel exclusive publisher. I've checked those kinds of publishers, and the ones I've found are either Japanese-only, or only work with anime-style games. Any recommendations on just indie game publishers overall?

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Rinima »

HiddenCreature wrote:@firecat: I don't know who told you that. Rinima is right, well known publishers assist with media coverage, so people actually know to buy your game on distribution channels.

@Rinima: it doesn't have to be a visual novel exclusive publisher. I've checked those kinds of publishers, and the ones I've found are either Japanese-only, or only work with anime-style games. Any recommendations on just indie game publishers overall?
I can't name anyone spefically, but I did have a quick google search for you and found this list: http://blog.gambrinous.com/2014/09/02/t ... ublishers/
And I know he's not a publisher, but if your wanting publishers help with purely PR work, I would actually recommend http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 66&t=28875 for this (I've worked with him myself, fantastic at his job)

HiddenCreature
Regular

#6 Post by HiddenCreature »

Thanks for the references, Rinima

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by firecat »

HiddenCreature wrote:@firecat: I don't know who told you that. Rinima is right, well known publishers assist with media coverage, so people actually know to buy your game on distribution channels.
nope, no amount of media will help get more download and money. i have contact many news sites from indiegaming to the GameInformer, you need a lot of requirements to even have the game be review (they dont cost money). one example where popularly doesnt help is a game called FNAF and a lot of people hate it or pirate it or made fan versions. even know FNAF got the money it never became a best seller, just another youtube video to watch on channels.

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#8 Post by Caveat Lector »

FNAF...as in Five Nights at Freddy's? As in, the same game that sold well enough to earn three sequels and a movie in the making? And that's unsuccessful? The game that has earned positive reviews from critics, and the sequels that get "overwhelmingly positive" reviews on Steam? Yeah, it has its haters, but you really can't use FNAF as an example of a game that bombed despite constant media promotion when that wasn't the case at all.
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Rinima »

firecat wrote:
nope, no amount of media will help get more download and money. i have contact many news sites from indiegaming to the GameInformer, you need a lot of requirements to even have the game be review (they dont cost money). one example where popularly doesnt help is a game called FNAF and a lot of people hate it or pirate it or made fan versions. even know FNAF got the money it never became a best seller, just another youtube video to watch on channels.
*quietly waits for firecats sources* You know what you said makes no logical sense. Publishers help pull in more people. More potential fans. More potential fans = more downloads and more money. That's very basic logic, it doesn't take an idiot to figure it out. Also on your example, I'm not sure how the requirements to get a review work into it. This isn't a discussion on how difficult it is, it's a discussion on where to find the publishers. Caveat Lector has already pointed out the flaws in the game you chose. Stay on topic.

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by firecat »

o.k looks like we getting commutation problems (seems to happen every time i explain complex stuff)

watch this video first: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl-k9fISB7o

and this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxsEimJ_3bM

now because i cant look up the sales report for FNAF due to Steam agreement rules about not showing the reports we have to go and guess. one user thinks how much it has sold:
Seriously, Scott could probably just retire now and he would probably be able to sustain a living.
On Steam, Five Nights at Freddy's has over 11,000 reviews. So let's say for every one review there are 2 people who bought and played the game. That's around 22,000 copies of the game sold. Multiply that by the $4.99 price tag and that comes out to about $110,000. That's the first game alone.

The second game has about 7,000 reviews on steam which is a little more than half of the first game. However, this game was hyped up a lot more so I wouldn't be surprised if for every review on there there's about...3 people who bought it. So 18,000 copies sold at $7.99 a pop, is around $150,000.

Finally, the third game, I predict, because of the hype and the possibility that it could be the last game of the series, it could sell easily 35,000 copies. Each of them sold at $7.99 brings the predicted sales of the third game to around $300,000. So in total, that brings the sales of all the games to just shy of $600,000.

Also, now that Five Nights at Freddy's is so popular, all his other games are getting noticed more and more too so that's even more sales that I cant be bothered to calculate. Plus, I'm sure Clickteam is giving his some thanks for rocketing their game engine into the big leagues. There are a lot of people, believe it or not, who actually pay that $100 price tag and have tried their hand at making games all because of Five Nights at Freddy's.

So yeah...Scott is rolling in it and probably will be forever, considering that anything with his name on it will at least get a look at by a bunch of people.

truefaiterman
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes of the Codex War. [ASH] The Seeds of Destruction
Projects: One Night of [SNOW], Stained with Magic
Deviantart: truefaiterman

#11 Post by truefaiterman »

Unsuccesful as in FNAF4 having more than five million downloads from the Android version only? Even the first game, the less succesful one, has close to a million there, and the third one close to ten millions. And that's not counting Steam (the main source of income as far as I know), Desura and iOS.

I can't reach any other sale numbers, but if having millions of downloads on a single platform (check it out on the games's pages on Google Store, and remember those are from purchased games, no piracy or fan-games/clones) is not successful, I'm rage-quitting the Internet.
Artist and voice actor, trying to actually write stuff.

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Recent finished projects:

Image Image

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Rinima »

firecat wrote:o.k looks like we getting commutation problems (seems to happen every time i explain complex stuff)

watch this video first: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl-k9fISB7o

and this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxsEimJ_3bM

now because i cant look up the sales report for FNAF due to Steam agreement rules about not showing the reports we have to go and guess. one user thinks how much it has sold:
Seriously, Scott could probably just retire now and he would probably be able to sustain a living.
On Steam, Five Nights at Freddy's has over 11,000 reviews. So let's say for every one review there are 2 people who bought and played the game. That's around 22,000 copies of the game sold. Multiply that by the $4.99 price tag and that comes out to about $110,000. That's the first game alone.

The second game has about 7,000 reviews on steam which is a little more than half of the first game. However, this game was hyped up a lot more so I wouldn't be surprised if for every review on there there's about...3 people who bought it. So 18,000 copies sold at $7.99 a pop, is around $150,000.

Finally, the third game, I predict, because of the hype and the possibility that it could be the last game of the series, it could sell easily 35,000 copies. Each of them sold at $7.99 brings the predicted sales of the third game to around $300,000. So in total, that brings the sales of all the games to just shy of $600,000.

Also, now that Five Nights at Freddy's is so popular, all his other games are getting noticed more and more too so that's even more sales that I cant be bothered to calculate. Plus, I'm sure Clickteam is giving his some thanks for rocketing their game engine into the big leagues. There are a lot of people, believe it or not, who actually pay that $100 price tag and have tried their hand at making games all because of Five Nights at Freddy's.

So yeah...Scott is rolling in it and probably will be forever, considering that anything with his name on it will at least get a look at by a bunch of people.
Please tell me why your even using FNAF as an example, as I've just had a look online, and I can't even find a publisher, as far as I'm aware, Scott published it himself. Therefore, this game isn't even relevant.

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Rinima »

firecat wrote:o.k looks like we getting commutation problems (seems to happen every time i explain complex stuff)
Also, this isn't a complex issue, you're just not being clear, and you're implying that the rest of us aren't as 'smart' as you to understand complex stuff, which I personally don't care for.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#14 Post by Taleweaver »

Guys, this conversation is getting seriously out of hand.

OP asked for names of indie game publishers, not why one should or should not bother finding a publisher. While this might be interesting to discuss, it's starting to go too far now.

Back to topic, please.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

truefaiterman
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes of the Codex War. [ASH] The Seeds of Destruction
Projects: One Night of [SNOW], Stained with Magic
Deviantart: truefaiterman

#15 Post by truefaiterman »

Sorry, I... kinda forgot to add the names x_D That was stupid on my part.

Try contacting Devolver Digital (they publish a lot of indie games like Hotline Miami or Hatoful Boyfriend), or perhaps one of the usual visual novel publishers on the US (MangaGamer, JAST USA, etc).
Artist and voice actor, trying to actually write stuff.

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Recent finished projects:

Image Image