City Lights [Formerly CE-5] [Sci-fi/Paranormal VN][DEMO!]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
PrismProjections
Projects: CE-5
Soundcloud: Prismproject

City Lights [Formerly CE-5] [Sci-fi/Paranormal VN][DEMO!]

#1 Post by PrismProjections »

You've left your home and everything you've ever known behind to start anew in the city. Will you be able to escape your past and start fresh or will your past continue to haunt you?

City Lights [CE-5] explores unexplained circumstances and events surrounding a group of people living at a communal complex in the city.

Developed during the inaugural TyranoJam in August 2015, City Lights [CE-5] currently offers a demo/prologue to the main game that lasts an average of thirty (30) minutes and has three (3) different endings.

:arrow: Play the Demo (Windows only currently, Mac coming soon): http://prismprojections.itch.io/ce-5

Image Image
ImageImage
Characters!

Atti

Eldest of the three Wyrd sisters and landlord for the Wyrd House, a communal living property in the city.

Mary

Fellow tenant of the Wyrd House. Soft-spoken around others, Mary only seems to open up to and about Alistair, her dog.

Carter

Prickly conspiracy theorist, budding UFOlogist, and fellow tenant. Carter is usually preoccupied with this thoughts, but seems willing to talk if you lend an ear.

Cloe

The youngest Wyrd sister and assistant caretaker at the Wyrd House. Cryptic and bitter condensed into a pint-size form.

Lache

Middle child of the Wyrd siblings and assistant caretaker at the Wyrd House.

Jakob

Fellow tenant at the Wyrd House. Jakob displays a gentle demeanor, often opting to watch silently instead of taking part in events.

I'll be frank. I've never made any kind of game before. I've had to learn it all from scratch during the game jam. I made everything in the game by myself despite little to no experience in several fields. Now, sitting a month later with what I could call a demo in my lap-- I don't want to give up on my game. I'd like to see it reach full completion and be released officially.

If I sit too long without working on a project, I'm likely to abandon it. I understand that about myself and that's the main reason I'm putting it out there like this. Accountability. Knowing there is somewhere I have to report to weekly with progress will definitely help keep my fire stoked.

Depending on how well the game/demo is received in the game jam and on here, I'd like it to take the route of Kickstarter and see if I can reach a meager funding goal so I can push this out within the next year.

Here is my progress for September 23rd, 2015.

• * Demo – 100% (May revision once I get GUI design finalized.)
    * Writing – 50% (Outline heavy at this point.)
    * Character Sprites – 60% (May revise to be cleaner + add more characters)
    * GUI – 25% (Placeholder UI for gamejam, needs replaced)
    * Music and Sound – 40%
    * CG/cutscenes – 20% (I plan to have this be a big game. haha)
    * Misc. Features – 25% (Gallery unlocks, minigames, etc)

Everything said, I'm best described as eager, but hesitant. I feel I could put a good game forward, but I'm not familiar with much and there is a lot of ground to cover. I'll be doing the best that I'm able until the game is finished.

Feedback?

I'd appreciate any constructive feedback. Either comment below, on Twitter, PM, or e-mail.

For those that won't play the demo:

• * Is any of the artwork/artstyle distracting or jarring? Do you feel the characters fit well with the backgrounds?
    * Is the premise of the game worded in an easy to understand fashion? Would you like to see more information presented up front or kept in the dark?

For those that have played the demo:

• * Were the character animations natural-feeling while speaking to them? Any preference on having the characters animated while they speak or the current image-swapped conversation style?
    * Were the music and sounds an acceptable volume? Did they distract you from the gameplay?
    * Which ending did you get? [Mary, Carter, or Jakob's.]

I think that about covers it for right now.

I'll be updating every Saturday evening with every little bit of progress I have. Be it a new screenshot, character models, cutscene stills, or just progress and thoughts.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read all of this, play the demo, or just chat with me while I figure all of the visual novel business out.

Idunna
Prism Projections
Last edited by PrismProjections on Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.

SilverMaiden

Re: CE-5 [Sci-fi/Paranormal/Horror][DEMO!]

#2 Post by SilverMaiden »

Looks cool! Can't wait for it to come to Mac. :)

PrismProjections

Re: CE-5 [Sci-fi/Paranormal/Horror][DEMO!]

#3 Post by PrismProjections »

SilverMaiden wrote:Looks cool! Can't wait for it to come to Mac. :)

Thank you. I can port it to Mac immediately, but I have no proper way of playtesting it currently. Once I have a few volunteers or a way to get my hands on a Mac, I'll update it with the version.

That said, updating this for update progression!

UPDATES!!

:arrow: 09/26/2015:

• * CE-5 Project Renamed to "City Lights"
    * New Logo for "City Lights"
    * Start Screen redesigned
    * Mac version exported for playtesting
    * Chapter 2 writing is at 90%!
Last edited by PrismProjections on Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kikaharu
Regular

Re: CE-5 [Sci-fi/Paranormal VN][DEMO!]

#4 Post by Kikaharu »

I have a problem with the demo. It keeps repeating. I get to the spot of introduction and then Atti says dinner is ready. and then it starts back at introducing Carter.

PrismProjections

#5 Post by PrismProjections »

Kikaharu wrote:I have a problem with the demo. It keeps repeating. I get to the spot of introduction and then Atti says dinner is ready. and then it starts back at introducing Carter.
Hmm, odd. It's never done that before.

I'll download it from the source and see if it's an isolated issue or not.

Thank you for letting me know!

Edit: I played through and didn't get stuck or a repeat. Would you mind PMing me what OS you're using and if you were hitting Enter or Clicking? I'd like to take it up with the other forums for the engine and see if I can learn something from it.

Sorry the game bugged on you!

PrismProjections

Re: City Lights [Formerly CE-5] [Sci-fi/Paranormal VN][DEMO!

#6 Post by PrismProjections »

Small-ish Update:

I renamed the game to something I was happier with, made a new logo and a new start screen.

You can look between the original and the new one below. I'd appreciate any input on them as I continue to work on things!

Old
New

Please note: These are sized down by half in order to meet the forum's requirements.

Thanks for looking!

Kikaharu
Regular

#7 Post by Kikaharu »

PrismProjections wrote:
Kikaharu wrote:I have a problem with the demo. It keeps repeating. I get to the spot of introduction and then Atti says dinner is ready. and then it starts back at introducing Carter.

Edit: I played through and didn't get stuck or a repeat. Would you mind PMing me what OS you're using and if you were hitting Enter or Clicking? I'd like to take it up with the other forums for the engine and see if I can learn something from it.

I use Windows 8. Okay I tried doing enter or clicking because I don't remember which one I did. I learned that I was hitting Enter and I learned that when I just click it actually continues and doesn't repeat.

PrismProjections

#8 Post by PrismProjections »

Kikaharu wrote:
PrismProjections wrote:

I use Windows 8. Okay I tried doing enter or clicking because I don't remember which one I did. I learned that I was hitting Enter and I learned that when I just click it actually continues and doesn't repeat.
Very interesting, thank you for going through the trouble to help me. I'm happy the game continued!

I'll make a note of the bug for further investigation!

Thank you again!

someone45678
Completed: The Beginning

Re: City Lights [Formerly CE-5] [Sci-fi/Paranormal VN][DEMO!

#9 Post by someone45678 »

Hello :)
it's been a while since you updated anywhere, is this project cancelled?