Must Love Jaws [Friendship] [SuNoFes] [AGBIC 2015]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

Must Love Jaws [Friendship] [SuNoFes] [AGBIC 2015]

#1 Post by Katy133 »

FREE DOWNLOAD: On Itch.io!
========================================================================================================================================================================
Friendship/Homage/Comedy/Slice of Life
ImageImage
ImageImage
THE STORY

Dr. Bernard Hooper is a marine biologist. Matt Lee is a hobbyist fisherman who owns a bait n' tackle shop.

The two know each other--and have a past history together--but can't stand each other.

But then a faithful fishing trip introduces them to a new, underwater friend...

The story is set in Sauble Beach, a Canadian beach overlooking great Lake Huron.

THE BACKSTORY

Must Love Jaws is for the Summer Novel Festival (July 01 - August 16) and 2015's A Game By Its Cover (June 20 - August 16), a game jam where you are meant to create a game based on another's fake cover art (or, in my case, a fake trailer)...
THE TRAILER

Must Love Jaws is based off this trailer.

"Stephen Spielberg’s classic horror becomes a family movie similar to Free Willy. The title is a parody of the romantic comedy Must Love Dogs."
THE CHARACTERS

THE TEAM
Art & Writing...................Katy133
Writing Assistance.....TuttyTheFruity

FEATURES

- Nameable NPC
- Multiple endings: FIVE different endings!
- Timeline: Shows you how far you are to finishing the game.

QUESTIONS

1. First impressions in general? (On story, game type etc.?)
2. Any characters that you're already interested in? Or characters you're already skeptical about?
3. What's you current opinion of sharks?
4. Did playing the game change your opinion of sharks?
5. Comments on the art style?
6. Which ending did you get first? Did you replay the game to get the other endings?
7. If you re-named the shark, what name did you give it?
8. Other critique/suggestions/questions? Let me know!
Last edited by Katy133 on Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

Carassaurat
Veteran

Re: Must Love Jaws [Friendship] [SuNoFes] [AGBIC 2015]

#2 Post by Carassaurat »

Aww, this was cute and I liked it. Bonding over sharks -- because of course you do.
It's rather neat that underneath what is (and I don't mean this in a negative way) a fairly simple and easy to digest story, the novel does tackle a social issue on our perception of sharks. I'd still consider the situation of the shark saving Tristan's life unlikely at best, and I think that, considering the message you want to impart on actual shark behaviour, it would've been better not to have that occur.
Graphically, I really love the attention to detail that you've shown both in this and in Three Guys; the UI, the ctc, the time scale, mouse cursor. Your drawing style is very nice and fits with the light hearted nature of your stories. The only meaningful criticism that I have is that I'd have liked to see more. Often it's just a matter of a handful of lines in the face changing over the course of an entire scene, so some extra poses would've helped make the whole thing more dynamic. But you've only got the time you have, of course.
Also, am I correct in saying that the game recognises it when you type in 'Bruce' as alternative name, and goes on as if you agreed to Matt's suggestion?

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.

#3 Post by Katy133 »

Carassaurat wrote:
Also, am I correct in saying that the game recognises it when you type in 'Bruce' as alternative name, and goes on as if you agreed to Matt's suggestion?
Yes! I included code for that. :) You also get different responses if you type in:
"Ogu Pigu" or "Dave" ... As a reference to VN Youtuber ChrisTenarium, who often uses these names.
ImageImage

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Katy133 »

ChrisTenarium has done a Let's Play of the game! :)

Part 2 here.
ImageImage

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Katy133 »

Update: Instead of doing a behind-the-scenes/post-mortem, I’ve decided to make a quick post listing some things you may not have noticed in Must Love Jaws.

Give it a read here. :)
ImageImage

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Katy133 »

SheeplyWolf has also done a Let's Play! :D

ImageImage