Eye-Growth [Horror/Supernatural][YuriJam]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Crystaline Spade
Regular
Projects: Where the Wind Travels
Tumblr: crystaline-spade
Deviantart: CrystalineSpade

Eye-Growth [Horror/Supernatural][YuriJam]

#1 Post by Crystaline Spade »

Ah, I hope those are the right types of descriptions... Hello all, I'm Crystaline Spade. My group the Ace of Spades has decided to make a game for the yuri jam currently going on. Though we're a bit late here's our game!
Eye-Growth(working title)

Story:
Rhianna has always blamed herself for the fact that her best friend Adeleine is now blind and has always wanted to restore her sight. She finds out about a ritual to grow an eye and is desperate enough to try it. Even though she is able to restore Adeleine's sight she now has an eye growing from her hand and is plagued by strange dreams. Some of which are visions of murder! Will she try to reverse the spell at the cost of her friends sight or will she ignore it for the sake of her friend?

Characters:

Rhianna- The heroine of this story. She's a bit anti-social but doesn't honestly care that she doesn't have many friends or that others tend to avoid her because she knows that Adeleine will always be there for her. Though she's pretty honest she tries to hide her problems from others and do things by herself.

ImageImage
Adeleine- The heroines best friend who became blind after a certain accident. For the most part she seems really calm, quiet and kind. Though she does pout if she thinks Rhianna is paying more attention to someone else. She cares deeply for Rhianna and would do anything for her.

Wren- Works at a strange store part-time and gave Rhianna the means and information to preform the ritual. She tends to give off a cool non-caring attitude but becomes very happy about things relating to the occult and strange occurrences. Though she herself doesn't have that much experience and has yet to successfully preform a ritual of any kind. Her only real plus is that she's an empath.

Mark- A classmate of Rhianna's who sometimes hangs out with her. Though he does try to keep his distance when Adeleine is around.

Edward- A random bag snatcher.

Aaron- A somewhat creepy man who frequents the store Wren works at.

Tina- A nosy classmate of Rhianna.

Features:
-2 different paths to take with different events and characters.
-Each path has 4 endings making the total number of endings 8!
-CG
-Hopefully a mostly original sound track!
-Also hoping for an original GUI if we have time.

Progress:
Story Outline- 100%
Writing- Main: 25%
Path 1: ???
Path 2: ???
Sprites- 5 of 6(7 if we have some spare time)
CG- ???
BG- ???
Music- ???
GUI- ???

Group:
{Update Later}
Story Designer/Writer: Crystaline Spade
Writer for Path 1: Kairos
Writer for Path 2: burnt_offering
Character Designer/Sprite Artist/CG Artist: Stilts
Composer 1: Kistol
Composer 2: Chiyoko

Import Links:
{Update Later}
Recruitment Thread
Erm... This doesn't look too good... But we're working! As hard as we can, I swear!
I hope you take interest in the project and will play it when it's finished! Also, can you tell us if there's anything that seems off about the characters or the story outline? Like if you think we missed some info? It would also help if you told us your current thoughts of the game and what you expect from it.

We're still looking for some helping hands so, please contact if interested!
From Spade
Last edited by Crystaline Spade on Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:19 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Image an otome game.
Our-Sight(working title)

Fox Lee
Veteran
Completed: Where Ages Go [NaNo2015]
Projects: Swan x Swan [YuriJam/NaNo16], ♥ON, Guilded Age
Organization: Invincible Ink
Deviantart: foxlee
itch: foxlee

Re: Eye-Growth [Horror/Supernatural][YuriJam]

#2 Post by Fox Lee »

Hey! I think you have a great jam project. I really like these character designs, and your art style; it's still anime-ish, but pretty different to what we see in most VNs - quite distinctive! I especially dig Wren's fashion sens. And Adeleine's hair looks soooo nice and silky... Ahem. Anyway. The story setup sounds exciting, and reminds me a bit of Devil Survivor. I find the relationship between Rhianna and Adeleine to be very interesting too, and I look forward to seeing how it turns out!

If anything seems odd to me, it would be the character description of "the local thief". It sounds more like it comes from a fantasy story than a modern day setting. Or maybe I'm just out-of-touch with kids these days? XD In any case, I'm really only commenting on it because you asked if anything seemed "off"; I doubt it would have bothered me if I wasn't looking for oddities.

Voice acting may be pushing it a bit for a jam, but you can always concentrate on other things first, and leave voice acting for "only iuf we have time". As long as your core requirements are reasonable, it never hurts to have stretch goals :p
Fox Lee: The Girl Your Mother Warned You About
CleanDirtyFurryPro

Crystaline Spade
Regular

#3 Post by Crystaline Spade »

Ah! Thanks for already leaving a comment about the project, Fox Lee!

We pretty much left everything to Stilts so, she's the one deserving of the praise. I tried to update the team info to show that too. Oh? I'm a fan of Devil Survivor, what part reminded you of it, if you don't mind my asking? Right, I'm really looking forward to seeing what people think of Rhianna and Adeleine's relationship when they finish the game. In fact I was tempted to make the game just about them but then I thought it would be a bit boring if they were the only characters. Well, that's what I thought personally anyway.

Kay, I tried changing it. There's more to those characters but if I reveal too much I'm worried it might ruin the feel of the story. I'm actually more accustomed to fantasy and this will be my first attempt at horror... So, I'm a bit nervous. And really worried that it won't meet others expectations...

Right, thanks for the advice for the voice acting.
I hope others will show interest in this project in the near future.
Once again thank you very much for leaving a comment!

From Spade
Image an otome game.
Our-Sight(working title)

dreamy
Regular
Organization: Cloud9 Dreams
Tumblr: fey-en

#4 Post by dreamy »

Wow Spade, the project looks great so far! I love the art style as well, it looks gorgeous. I don't think anything else is off, I guess. Good luck with finishing up the game. I'm sure you guys will do great :)
"Listen to the silence, it's so blissful...
So calm down and listen..."

Stilts
Regular
Projects: The Underdogs Tale, Slit-mouth Girl, Passion Sync, Eye Growth
Deviantart: StiltsDA

#5 Post by Stilts »

I'm glad you guys like my art. I admittedly went with a rather experimental style for the sprites but I think they turned out well (hopefully). Oh, and just to clarify, I'm actually a guy lol.

Fox Lee
Veteran
Completed: Where Ages Go [NaNo2015]
Projects: Swan x Swan [YuriJam/NaNo16], ♥ON, Guilded Age
Organization: Invincible Ink
Deviantart: foxlee
itch: foxlee

#6 Post by Fox Lee »

Crystaline Spade wrote:Oh? I'm a fan of Devil Survivor, what part reminded you of it, if you don't mind my asking?
The visions, mostly. I know that in DeSu it's about getting predictions of your own death - and here Rhianna is obviously involved with some supernatural stuff before she starts getting the visions - but either way, you have a teenager who is suddenly getting this weird, scary, dubiously-trustworthy information and deciding how to act on it. Decisions like that can show you a lot about a character, which is probably why I find that sort of setup interesting :)
Kay, I tried changing it. There's more to those characters but if I reveal too much I'm worried it might ruin the feel of the story.
Like I said, I only picked it out because you asked specifically - it's not really all that strange! ^_^; In any case, if you think you should be secretive to preserve the impact of the story, you're probably right.
I'm actually more accustomed to fantasy and this will be my first attempt at horror... So, I'm a bit nervous. And really worried that it won't meet others expectations...
Try not to worry about it <:) When you're making stuff for free, there's no point stressing too much about other peoples' expectations. Especially for a jam game! Those are a learning experience for everybody, even the folks who've completed plenty of projects. Even if you think it's a bit weird or rough, I'm sure people will be understanding about it.
Right, thanks for the advice for the voice acting.
It depends on your team size too, of course! If you have enough people to take on a larger scope, it would be less trouble. I'm speaking mostly from a solo perspective (I have done jams in groups too, but they were 24-48hr jams, which are a bit different in terms of scope :p).
Fox Lee: The Girl Your Mother Warned You About
CleanDirtyFurryPro

Crystaline Spade
Regular

#7 Post by Crystaline Spade »

Yay! Finally a real update!! I've added 2 more character sprites from the game and updated some info. I'll try to update the actual amount of writing in the next week or so. Hope you don't mind the lack of info and updates so far.
The visions, mostly. I know that in DeSu it's about getting predictions of your own death - and here Rhianna is obviously involved with some supernatural stuff before she starts getting the visions - but either way, you have a teenager who is suddenly getting this weird, scary, dubiously-trustworthy information and deciding how to act on it. Decisions like that can show you a lot about a character, which is probably why I find that sort of setup interesting :)
Unfortunately due to time constraints it probably won't be as awesome as what you're imaging... So sorry!

Please people, tell us what you think of the story. We want to know. And it's still not too late to lend a helping hand if you think can work with this time limit.
I hope you'll take interest in the game!

From Spade
Image an otome game.
Our-Sight(working title)