Crackling in mp3 background music

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Tage
Regular

#16 Post by Tage »

Try http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
It's free, just open your file and then select "File > Export As Ogg Vorbis..."

metalica

#17 Post by metalica »

Thanks :) they work perfectly. MP3 are dead, but I don care since ogg even take less space, so I'll use that format :)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#18 Post by PyTom »

In the meantime, I bit the bullet and am trying to recompile SDL_mixer on windows. Which means recompiling all six million libraries that it depends on. (or 3, whichever.)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#19 Post by PyTom »

Okay, I finished recompling SDL_mixer (which first required my compiling SDL, libogg, libvorbis, and smpeg... most of which had problems compiling under mingw. :-( ).

The result of my efforts was a new SDL_mixer.dll that supports mp3, vorbis, midi (with the volume correct, hopefully) and various forms of mods. Hopefully, this means that sould problems will be a thing of the past. Well, probably not, but hopefully this will be a step in the right direction.

http://www.bishoujo.us/tmp/SDL_mixer.dll has the new mixer library, which you should be able to just drop into the lib directory of 4.4.1.

Let me know if it works for you. Now I'm off to watch W-Wish 13, and then back to my game.
Last edited by PyTom on Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tage
Regular

#20 Post by Tage »

:D It all works PERFECTLY!! The midi panning stays centered while the midi volume level stays the same as it was before you start the game. Ogg and Mp3 files both work, and they both sound crystal clear without any crackling! You kick ass, lol...

LOL...at least I think that's what I wrote =P

metalica

#21 Post by metalica »

yeah they work perfectly :D , mp3 and ogg sound is really clear, without a single crack. thanx a lot for all the hard work :D