Keeping Organized

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
infel
Veteran
Projects: Mark's Story(BxB(Reach for the Stars(GxG), Mermaid Sonata(GxG,NaNo16), Black Dale-Curse of the Scarlet Witch(Semi Hiatus), A Few Secret Games
Tumblr: lunarwingsgames

Keeping Organized

#1 Post by infel »

I'm trying to keep myself organized with things things like writing, due dates, art and music for my games. However I do admit I'm not so good at it and was hoping for some strategies you guys have or sites online that would be helpful. I do have a Trello and it's pretty good, but I was wondering if their was anything else. I think I heard about google docs being a good place, but I'm not too sure.
Please support my Twitter, Tumblr and Patreon

Patreon
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=885797&ty=h

Current Projects

A GxG game about overcoming your fears and growing up in an forever changing world. Also focuses on lesbian relationships and self image.

Mermaid Sonata- A game about mermaids, magic, and adventure

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=37512

Sysen
IRC Nick: Discord: Sysen#6844
Deviantart: sysen

Re: Keeping Organized

#2 Post by Sysen »

Microsoft excel is pretty good for organizing things

i reccommend google docs since it's accessable by anyone and more than that it's easier if you want to show someone or your team your schedule, checklist, etc and it's editable for a team or personal.

infel
Veteran
Projects: Mark's Story(BxB(Reach for the Stars(GxG), Mermaid Sonata(GxG,NaNo16), Black Dale-Curse of the Scarlet Witch(Semi Hiatus), A Few Secret Games
Tumblr: lunarwingsgames

#3 Post by infel »

Sysen wrote:Microsoft excel is pretty good for organizing things

i reccommend google docs since it's accessable by anyone and more than that it's easier if you want to show someone or your team your schedule, checklist, etc and it's editable for a team or personal.

Yeah, i think that's a good idea. I notice a lot of people use it. I'm new to google docs, but I'll try it out. Thank you :)
Please support my Twitter, Tumblr and Patreon

Patreon
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=885797&ty=h

Current Projects

A GxG game about overcoming your fears and growing up in an forever changing world. Also focuses on lesbian relationships and self image.

Mermaid Sonata- A game about mermaids, magic, and adventure

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=37512

RotGtIE
Veteran

#4 Post by RotGtIE »

I've been using Dropbox as well as Google Drive, and so far they have both been pretty robust in terms of file storage and allowing me to organize the project's planning and assets. I still keep local backups of all the content, just in case anything goes south, and would recommend that anyone else do the same.

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#5 Post by Ran08 »

For shared files, my team uses Google Drive, and we have separate folders for practically everything. We have separate folders for Art, subfolders for CGs, BGs, sprites, sketches, etc., a separate folder for Scripts, subfolders for outlines, ideas, and the actual script, etc. Stuff like that. :) The artist that I'm currently working with also has an excel file in the Art folder, containing all the art assets needed for the game. It definitely helps to organize everything. :D

Diamonit
Regular
Projects: Lucid9
Organization: Fallen Snow Studios

#6 Post by Diamonit »

Our drafts are written through google doc, and everyone use the comment system if something seems odd to them.
All the rest is put on Trello :
- A wikia like board about the story where the card refer to each others
- An announcement board where we discuss all the different matters that should be decided as a team, and where I announce the deadlines
- An artboard where all our need in art is listed, and where all the assets are uploaded
- A music board where all our need in OST is listed, and where all the assets are uploaded.

Make sure to use all the tools that Trello can provide you : checklists, deadlines, Assign people to cards, susbscription to boards and mail notifications, labels...
Also, Trello is interesting only if all the team members participate, else there's little meaning.
You can also follow our dev' blog with regular updates : http://lucid9.weebly.com/

bluebirdplays
Regular
Projects: A Flamingo Tale, Eyas
Tumblr: bluebirdplays

#7 Post by bluebirdplays »

I recently found out about an organization website called Hack n' Plan which is still relatively new but holds a lot of promise for indie game developers that want something a little more specific to their needs. I don't have a team, so I don't need all the tools this has, but it might come in handy for you or someone else :>

http://hacknplan.com

cath-mg
Regular
Projects: Ashworth's Last Princess (Resigned), Kokorogawari
Organization: Precatio彡
Tumblr: cath-mg
Github: cath-mg

#8 Post by cath-mg »

Trello is a good option, I find it really useful. Other than that, Google Drive is great especially if you use Google Docs for the writing process. I would recommend Github or Bitbucket for the coding part though, since it'll help with version control. Also, always remember to backup your resources and projects, else if an accident happens you'll shrink into despair just like me that one time when I screwed up lol

jeshii
Regular

#9 Post by jeshii »

+1 for google drive, I actually have my google drive synced to my desktop on all my computers. So everywhere I go, I know that my documents are there waiting for me, plus I can access them anytime online.

Also, for organizing notes, microsoft onenote is just amazing. I have tested every popular note taking program and have stuck with onenote for the past 5 years now because it truly offers the most flexibility and efficiency. Once you learn all the shortcuts anything that comes to mind can be easily organized in it. give it a shot because it recently became free! and dont let the fact that microsoft made it turn you off lol it really is a hidden gem

asatiir
Regular
Completed: Within the Walls (Twine)
Projects: Roses Will Rise
Organization: Asatiir's Tales
itch: asatiir

#10 Post by asatiir »

jeshii wrote:+1 for google drive, I actually have my google drive synced to my desktop on all my computers. So everywhere I go, I know that my documents are there waiting for me, plus I can access them anytime online.

Also, for organizing notes, microsoft onenote is just amazing. I have tested every popular note taking program and have stuck with onenote for the past 5 years now because it truly offers the most flexibility and efficiency. Once you learn all the shortcuts anything that comes to mind can be easily organized in it. give it a shot because it recently became free! and dont let the fact that microsoft made it turn you off lol it really is a hidden gem
I double the notion of OneNote, I've been using it so I can keep all my ideas in one place and the fact that it's on multiple platforms, I can sync it and work my phone. It's especially a big help with writing the script.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#11 Post by sake-bento »

I use a lot of the stuff mentioned above to keep things organized (seriously, spreadsheets in any form are the greatest thing), but for personal motivation I use Habitica. I'm mostly fond of the deadline feature and the daily task list.

dfbreezy
Regular
Completed: Episicava, Analistica Academy.
Projects: Rainbow dreams, ADV Tale, A Noble Conquest.
Organization: Epicworks
Deviantart: Epic-works
Soundcloud: Epic_Works
itch: epic-works

#12 Post by dfbreezy »

Well For me i Use Slack, it's a team communications page that is very user friendly and has a great array of commands and functions for your team. Instant messaging, Personal cloud, online conference calls and custom integrations. You can link slack to your trello and it would pull relevant details and applications from there.

I'd say Slack is simply the best medium out there for teams to communicate and develop in real-time.
ImageImage ImageImage