Please Teach Me About Dinosaurs! [Educational, Friendship]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
ShojiAmasawa
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes Of The Codex War, [ASH] the Seeds of Destruction
Projects: Cult of the Lily (18+)
Organization: PaperDoor Studios
Tumblr: paperdoorstudios
Deviantart: ShojiAmasawa
Soundcloud: Greyberry

Please Teach Me About Dinosaurs! [Educational, Friendship]

#1 Post by ShojiAmasawa »

What started as a funny notion turned into "would people actually play this?". I have decided to put it to the test.

I have noticed how Dinosaurs are represented in the media by video games like Primal Carnage and movies such as Jurassic Park. While I do not question the entertainment value of these, the Dinosaurs in them are very often represented inaccurately. Facts such as how most Dinosaurs had feathers are usually ignored. So, I have decided to use the visual novel format to spread knowledge of the real animals, not the monsters popularised by Hollywood.

Gameplay would be pretty standard for a visual novel. But rather than the choices determining the actions the characters take, they require the player to identify different dinosaurs through observation researching in-game fact files. If a particularly dangerous Dinosaur is misidentified it will be game over, while less as dangerous ones rack up points. The score the player gets from this at the end will determine the ending.

PLEASE TEACH ME ABOUT DINOSAURS!
Please Teach Me About Dinosaurs!.png
The Setting
In a future time, it has become common for prestigious schools to use wormhole technology to send drones back in time, and study history. But human time travel is known to be dangerous. The further back in time someone goes, the greater the risk of serious injury, insanity, or even death.

However, a student at Tokei Academy, a school for exceptionally intelligent girls, has developed a vaccine. If someone travels repeatedly in small doses, their body will become adjusted to the stress of time travel.

Three students at this school, all with an interest in one of the most famous animal clades in history, the Dinosaurs, are chosen to be the first humans to travel back in time and walk with these remarkable creatures.

The Story
Makoto Sato, a teenage girl attending Tokei Academy, has always loved Dinosaurs. When she and two of her classmates, Kaname Masahiro and Midori Takami, are chosen to go back in time to study these creatures under the callsign Team Gingko, they think it's the trip of a lifetime. But things don't go as expected when their time travel devices malfunction and the girls are steadily sent farther and farther back in time. Things are further complicated by the arrival of a villainous ten-year-old time traveller, who aims to make life even more difficult for them. Team Gingko's journey will encompass all three periods of the Mesozoic era and beyond, the time when Dinosaurs ruled the Earth!

The Characters
Makoto, Midori, Kaname.
Makoto, Midori, Kaname.
Makoto Sato
A shy girl with a lifelong love for dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures, Makoto is the most enthusiastic about the assignment. She is initially overwhelmed by the danger of the Mesozoic era, but comes to enjoy it after a while. She can recognise most Dinosaurs without the help of a guidebook.

Midori Takami
Despite being a top student, Midori has little interest in the academic purposes of the assignment. Instead, she wants to experience danger and excitement. She will sometimes lead the others into a dangerous situation with little idea of how to resolve it. She appoints herself as leader of Team Gingko.

Kaname Masahiro
Kaname is renowned as the smartest student at Tokei Academy. She is friendly and intelligent, but rarely holds an opinion of her own, preferring to follow others and making her easily manipulated. She is an avid bird-watcher, making prehistoric avian dinosaurs of great interest to her.

Sakura Alkaev
Half Japanese, half Russian, 12 year old Sakura is a computer prodigy. It is her own program that controls temporal teleporters. She runs the temporal computers, but is often made fun of for her age.

Akari Fujimato
President of the Time Travel Club. She likes doing everything without help. Though she will adamantly deny this, she has a crush on Fabien Hardy.

Momo Kotomi
Momo is cartographer for the Time Travel Club. She looks up to Akari Fujimato as a role model, but is not afraid to stand up to her if necessary.

Fukuri Kato
Fukuri is a mathematician who devised the "Temporal Vaccine" through experimentation on lab mice.

Fabien Hardy
Faculty Advisor for the time travel club and government appointed official witness to Team Gingko’s mission. Originally from France, he is popular among students for his kindness, good looks, and accent.

Julian Manhouse IV
The story’s villain. A young aristocrat time traveller, currently stuck in the Mesozoic era. He has a childish dislike of girls and enjoys bullying the girls from Tokei Academy when their paths cross.

Dino-chan
An app developed by Tokei Academy students to catalogue the dinosaurs encountered by Team Gingko. She has limited artificial intelligence.

Additional Info

So, would anyone be interested in playing this? I have not seen that many educational visual novels, but I have designed this to be accessible and marketable. The popular concept of "cute girls doing cute things" being adjusted to "cute girls doing cool things" has a lot of potential, I think. Billing it as educational might turn some people off from it, but what else could it be called? A documentary?

Already, over a thousand words have been written for it. I plan on writing this in my spare time when not doing more immediate projects for PaperDoor, such as One Night of [Snow] and Cult of the Lily. Character and Dinosaur designs are being done by myself, but I would love for someone else to do the final art. Of course, I have almost no money to fund such a project, hence why it is being kept in the Ideas thread.

If anyone is interested, everything I have written so far is attached below the terror of Tyrannosaurus.
With feathers, as is proper!
With feathers, as is proper!
Please Teach Me About Dinosaurs!.pdf
(527.13 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
Attachments
Not a Dinosaur, but it will be making an appearance!
Not a Dinosaur, but it will be making an appearance!
The adorable app.
The adorable app.

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

Re: Please Teach Me About Dinosaurs! [Educational, Friendshi

#2 Post by Morhighan »

This is everything I ever wanted. See if you can get a goverment grant for this, if it's educational enough. *_*

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds
Organization: Blue Sphere Group

#3 Post by Kato »

I love that this is really happening XD If I can help at all, let me know! :)
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#4 Post by sasquatchii »

Ohhh man I would play the heck out of this!!

I get what you mean about calling it an educational game, and while that in itself doesn't turn me off I don't know if educational is the right word for it, since it seems like there's also going to be some story and fun shenanigans involved as well! What about using words like science, history, time-travel, and enlightenment to talk about it instead?

Also, I just read the script and I LOVE IT! I will be super sad if this game does not happen, because it seems like its going to be so much fun.

If you need help with the art and can tolerate vector art/weird flat art in your game, please check out my websites!

This is my visual novel website and this is my graphic design website.

I also do design! I'd be happy to help with the GUI or anything else you might need :) Feel free to message me on here or on twitter (@sasquatchiix)!

And of course, best of luck to you! I can't wait to see how this project evolves.
ImageImage

ShojiAmasawa
Veteran

#5 Post by ShojiAmasawa »

Thanks so much, everyone! It really is great to see so many people are enthusiastic about this. The idea of applying for a grant ... wow, I never considered something like that!

I will most definitely need help with this at some point, though it is just in the planning stages at the moment.

In the meantime, I have a GUI concept. A screen for the Dino-chan app which players will be able to access at any time to view information on dinosaurs they may encounter. At first, each file will only have skeletal diagrams and basic information on the animal―enough to help the player successfully identify it when encountered. After a dinosaur is encountered, more information and images will be added.
Attachments
PTMAD Map.png

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#6 Post by KittyKatStar »

I really love the education aspect! And the intro was really cute. I'd like to see more VNs balancing education + friendship/subplots and other stuff since I want to do something like that as well and learn. XD

Good luck with this project, dinosaurs are always cool. <3

ShojiAmasawa
Veteran

#7 Post by ShojiAmasawa »

So glad to see interest in this. Since there are so many projects PaperDoor is working on at the moment, including an unrelated dinosaur-centric project, this is still just something I work on in my spare time. Still, I have lots of that!

So, since people seemed to like the first chapter, here it is revised and with an added prologue! Now with more educational content, excitement, cuteness, and playful banter.

Also, here is something exciting ... A dinosaur screech! Since even large carnivores such as Mapusaurus and Albertosaurus were related to birds, I decided to use something many should find familiar. Three guess what I used to make the sound below!

Carcharodontosaurid Sound
LISTEN ON SOUNDCLOUD
https://soundcloud.com/greyberry-1/carc ... urid-sound
LISTEN ON SOUNDCLOUD
Attachments
Please Teach Me About Dinosaurs! Prologue and Chapter 1.pdf
(574.23 KiB) Downloaded 48 times

dinogi

#8 Post by dinogi »

I am also interested about dinosaurs that attracts me much. However thanks a lot for posting here and I gather my knowledge about dinosaurs from here.By the way if I wanna know more about dinosaurs , so which book is the best to know all the story of it? pleast tell me about this