Feel the need to ask this

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

Feel the need to ask this

#1 Post by musical74 »

Thought it would be nice to add a picture to my profile - get an avatar pic and put it there - BUT...I don't know HOW to get an avatar that I've saved on my HD put up there or what steps I need to take to put it there. I feel kind of stupid asking this, but I do want a picture with my nic and don't have a clue how to do so...when I click on a different website *Sai's website since she has such lovely avatars* it shows as no gallery at all for what I can pick for the avatar to use... :? Can anyone help?

*Braces himself for a bunch of "this is so easy" remarks*
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#2 Post by Sai »

No worries, we've all been in your position at some point ^^

Step 1 - Finding the image.
Look around on the web ( google.com or whatever) and find a pic you like. A lot of sites have ready made avatars (they're just cropped pics). Or you can make your own by finding any pic, then taking it into an image editing program like GIMP or whatever. Even Paint really. And just cut it down to size with the Crop tool.

If you've found one already then just save it to your computer and go to Step 2 (one note: It's best to store the image yourself rather than just link to wherever you found it. This is because people pay for bandwidth everytime the image is displayed (since you actually download webpage images to be able to display them ))

Step 2 - Getting the image online.
Now it's on your computer, but naturally it needs to be online. So you'll need some space of your own to store images. There's quite a few free image hosts out there. Last time I looked, http://photobucket.com/ was good and might still be a decent free host. So just make an account there following the steps and use their interface to upload the image.

Once uploaded, the pic can be found online using it's personal address (aka the link).

Now I don't know what the links are exactly like for photobucket but it'll be something like this:

Code: Select all

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/vALBUM_NUMBER/USERNAME/IMAGE_NAME.jpg
(the words in capital letters would be replaced with the relevant details)
Never used Photobucket. But they should have instructions as you go along and if you get stuck anywhere just say.

Step 3 - Setting your avatar.
Click on Profile up top.
Scroll down to the bottom.
Enter the link to your avatar in the little box titled "Link to off-site Avatar:"
Submit.

Done.
Let me know if you have any problems ^^;

Tage
Regular

#3 Post by Tage »

Displays a small graphic image below your details in posts. Only one image can be displayed at a time, its width can be no greater than 120 pixels, the height no greater than 120 pixels, and the file size no more than 12 KB.
Also, try to meet these requirements posted on the avatar selection screen. If you don't know the address of your image...you can try right-clicking the image on the page that let's you view your images, select Properties, and then look at the address there. Don't feel stupid. I doubt anyone here would flame you, lol.

optimus160
Ultimate Lemma One

#4 Post by optimus160 »

Oh I would...
if im tired as i am now....
*boom*
explodes my head
PHEAR THE POWER OF THE ULTIMATE LEMMA ONE

Visit my DeviantArt page for stuff!