For anyone who wants to learn coding for free

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Template Maker for Ren'Py, What Life
Github: lunalucid
Soundcloud: LunaLucidMusic
itch: lunalucid

For anyone who wants to learn coding for free

#1 Post by namastaii »

I was lucky enough to start coding VNs AFTER I already knew a ton about coding. But I know there are a ton of people who have no idea where to begin. A while back, when I didn't know much about python (and ren'py is pretty much all python when you want to do anything extra with it), I was editing and fixing up really old code for a really old game. As a hobby. Long story. Anyway, I decided to look at ways to learn python myself online. Have you guys tried Codecademy?
I think it's literally helped me a ton. It's also interactive, every step of the way, you're typing something in that it just taught you. I highly recommend for people who want to get a head start on coding. and if anyone ever has any questions about anything related to this or coding VN's in general, I've come a long way so feel free to ask me. Though, I am definitely not a coding genius. But I'm getting better with time.

And no, I'm not being paid or anything to advertise for them lol I just thought maybe this could help a few people who didn't know where to look for some help. Good luck on your endeavors :)
https://codecademy.com

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: For anyone who wants to learn coding for free

#2 Post by Taleweaver »

Without knowing anything about the site: it sure looks shady to me, including the obligatory "how X learned to code in no time and is now praised for his 1337 skillz" testimonial video.

I'm giving this the benefit of the doubt and let the link stay up. Try at your own risk, however.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

mobychan
Veteran
Projects: The Chosen - Sakura Pink & Gentian Blue
Organization: Foresoft

#3 Post by mobychan »

I did their jQuery and Python courses just for the fun of it a while ago, they really walk you through everything and you're constantly trying things out and revising, so your new knowledge is more likely to stay.
(It was a bit repetitive for me, since I have been programming for a long time already in multiple different languages, but I was really bored when I did those courses and had nothing else to do XD)

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by namastaii »

I'm not sure how it's shady...and it's actually a really well known site. It's impossible for it to be shady if it's free as well lol
I just decided to do it again starting over for a mind refresher. my new knowledge is way better than before though so I haven't learned anything new yet but it's always a good refresher. and a time killer, like mobychan said lol

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat

#5 Post by firecat »

its shady because it cames from volunteers who used youtube to share stuff. there are current things that might be outdated or just dont work, the basics are always the same but when it cames to advance stuff thats where people do different things.

special thanks to nantoka.main.jp and iichan_lolbot

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#6 Post by trooper6 »

I learned about CodeAcademy's Python course from Lemmasoft members and took it a while ago. I found it to be really great and got into the habit of recommending it to newer members who were struggling with Python code. I still recommend it highly. However, I got my wrist slapped gently by PyTom for recommending Python resources in the Renpy Questions and Answers Board. But hopefully they won't mind a thread in the Creator Discussion Board.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

HiddenCreature
Regular
Projects: Vampire: The New Birth

#7 Post by HiddenCreature »

I've used that site to try and learn Python, so I could better use Ren'Py. If you don't like lectures or textbooks, this is a good method to start learning. You can use the codecademy labs to run and test various types of codes, without having to install any software.

Two important notes about this site:

1) Inconsistent writers (not all of them actual instructors).
A different person writes each chapter of lessons throughout the course. How one person teaches you, might not be as effective as another, and it can get slightly confusing sometimes. Plus, some of these writers aren't professionals, or have any teaching experience. They can be someone who simply demonstrated proficiency in the specific programming language. Heck, if you did, you would be offered to write a lesson yourself. But again, that doesn't mean they're the best people to teach beginners, if they're lacking in teaching experience.

2) No solutions provided for the lessons. Before you complete a lesson, there's always a problem you have to solve before progressing. Only, if you can't figure it out, there's no answer key, only a hint. For some reason, the writers didn't think to provide answers to their own questions. If you want solutions, you have to go to the forums, and hope some random user like yourself reads your post, and has the answer. But the original writers of these lessons should have provided them from the beginning.

They may have updated this, and I sincerely hope they did. If not, you're better off spending the money on a class, or a book of your targeted language.

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by namastaii »

If you can't figure out the solution, you can click a link (that is included in every page of every lesson at the bottom) that takes you to the forum. Where it organizes the questions by lesson and problem and chances are yours was already answered and solved. If not, you just post a quick question about what the problem is and why you can't solve it.

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by namastaii »

also it's not supposed to teach anything really 'advanced'. It's just teaching you how to use the code and learn it. baby steps. Or you could just not learn anything at all. That's fine. I was just posting this for people who would appreciate the guidance