Kaitlyn in Chinaland [Language learning, Otome]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

Kaitlyn in Chinaland [Language learning, Otome]

#1 Post by Godline »

After all the hard work and tears from all of us that worked on it (okay, no literal tears, that would just be weird)...

HERE IT IS: Image

DESKTOP: Image

There could have been more that could have been done with it, but I could keep working on it ad infinitum...
but for my sanity I'm releasing it now.

Features:
Image 40k word count, so about 2 hours playtime.
Image various vocabulary sections and beginner dialogue
Image a testing section in the extras menu
Image an original song by talented artist Jonathan Cheung
Image four unique endings
Image explanation of some of the different holidays in China
Image basic grammar and pronunciation assistance
AND MORE!
Summary
When the self-consumed, all-American prom queen wannabe Kaitlyn gets sent to China as a punishment, she must navigate the waters of the language, the culture shocks... and the boys.

It's a West meets East romantic comedy about some of the pitfalls of living in China and struggling to belong.

Kaitlyn in Chinaland is an otome, language learning game.
Last edited by Godline on Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MilkChocoPanda

Re: Kaitlyn in Chinaland [ANDROID]

#2 Post by MilkChocoPanda »

Excitedly waiting for the desktop version :)

Windchimes
Veteran
Projects: Reanimation Scheme, Emberfate: Tempest of Elements
Organization: Wind Chimes Games

Re: Kaitlyn in Chinaland [ANDROID]

#3 Post by Windchimes »

This game looks so interesting...sadly I don't have an android. I hope the desktop version will be released soon!

Godline
Veteran

Re: Kaitlyn in Chinaland [Language learning, Otome]

#4 Post by Godline »

Thanks guys!
An indie game stand version and an itch.io version have been uploaded.

Enjoy! (And review if you get the chance).
:)

And help us settle the debate who your preference is after playing the game (Anne favors Gao, I favor Wu - we clearly need to figure out who the winner is). http://strawpoll.me/6119901

Windchimes
Veteran

#5 Post by Windchimes »

I finished playing one route! (Went for Wu first, ended up with him)

I really liked it. I was probably not your target audience because I understand Chinese, so I can't comment on the language-learning part of this game.
Anyways, the art was really pretty. The story was really funny. I burst out laughing a few times at certain moments, like
at the airport when the firewall blocked social networking websites, and later she called it The Great Firewall of China.
And of course, at Kaitlyn's attempts at learning Chinese and her random sarcastic remarks.
A lot of the China references were hilarious. I laughed like a maniac at the
awful English translations for Chinese food names on the menu.
I love that part with the karaoke song.
Slight pickiness: Some of the song lyrics translations were slightly off, definitely not wrong, but just felt a bit off, so it felt a little weird reading them while listening to the song at the same time.
I love that song. It's really nice xD I had it playing in the background for like an hour.

I really like Kaitlyn's friendship with Meng. It's really cute how she
called Meng her meimei at the end.
Both Gao and Wu are so cute (and funny). Gao's uptight seriousness was really amusing. I prefer Wu though in the end. I think he won me over immediately at the beginning
when he was teaching her some Chinese in the car and I picked the option "How to pick up guys" for fun and he tried to trick her into saying she's an ugly American.
One question: Did I miss something? Because
I felt like suddenly he confessed to her that he likes her (or well, needs her), and then told his mom they were dating -- which was an adorable scene by the way, but then it felt abrupt because I didn't really get the feeling they were getting to the dating stage yet (especially since Chinese tend to take dating a little more seriously as far as I know...?) And then at the end she just left and went back to America and said goodbye to his mom at the airport but no Wu, and nothing about their relationship anymore. So I was a bit confused about what happened.
I really liked the game. I had fun playing it. I'm going to play the remaining routes now probably!

Godline
Veteran

#6 Post by Godline »

Windchimes wrote:I love that part with the karaoke song.
Slight pickiness: Some of the song lyrics translations were slightly off, definitely not wrong, but just felt a bit off, so it felt a little weird reading them while listening to the song at the same time.
I love that song. It's really nice xD I had it playing in the background for like an hour.
Yes, the song is a proper song. There is an english version of this song as well (https://soundcloud.com/jonyc/eventually-you/s-btyUt) but it's not a direct translation.
I wish I had you to check the translation! Problem is, my Chinese is not much better than Kaitlyn's and therefore I did my best to translate, I mostly wanted to concentrate on the specific words in the song even though sometimes the sentence structure didn't work.
Windchimes wrote:One question: Did I miss something? Because
I felt like suddenly he confessed to her that he likes her (or well, needs her), and then told his mom they were dating -- which was an adorable scene by the way, but then it felt abrupt because I didn't really get the feeling they were getting to the dating stage yet (especially since Chinese tend to take dating a little more seriously as far as I know...?) And then at the end she just left and went back to America and said goodbye to his mom at the airport but no Wu, and nothing about their relationship anymore. So I was a bit confused about what happened.
You DID miss something. You missed the whole epilogue. Not sure if there was a problem with the build I put up, but I just played through and it worked for me. Did you get all the points such as telling Ingrid about Wu while on the phone with her? And going to the prom?
I'll reupload a new zip file just in case.

Windchimes
Veteran

#7 Post by Windchimes »

Godline wrote: Yes, the song is a proper song. There is an english version of this song as well (https://soundcloud.com/jonyc/eventually-you/s-btyUt) but it's not a direct translation.
I wish I had you to check the translation! Problem is, my Chinese is not much better than Kaitlyn's and therefore I did my best to translate, I mostly wanted to concentrate on the specific words in the song even though sometimes the sentence structure didn't work.
Ooo yay thanks. Now I can play that on repeat even more! xD
It's too bad D: I would have gladly helped the translations. Since you wanted to focus on the meaning of the specific words, there really isn't much of a problem in that area. Those specific words and translations you did and explained were absolutely fine. It's just that when the translations are done as a whole line, the translation's meaning is a little off and different from the actual meaning of the lyrics. xD Especially one part which is I think...the part about uncontrollable romance? Though I'm probably just nitpicking and taking it too seriously because I'm a huge fan about lyrics and their meanings; they're the best part of music for me. xD I would gladly whip up a quick translation for you but I'm afraid it might not be much help at this stage anymore xD
Godline wrote:
You DID miss something. You missed the whole epilogue. Not sure if there was a problem with the build I put up, but I just played through and it worked for me. Did you get all the points such as telling Ingrid about Wu while on the phone with her? And going to the prom?
I'll reupload a new zip file just in case.
Oh god really? I'm going to have to play through it again then...I definitely did not get that scene with Ingrid. Literally the only Wu scenes I saw were
letting him show me something and going to the top of the mountain, and the Friday the 13th movie watching scene. I did pick going to prom though...so idk where else I missed points.
Which was why I was so surprised when the confession scene suddenly happened. I was like whaaaaa? What happened?! xD I'm not sure how that happened...I'm going to play through it again and if it happens again I'll redownload it!

EDIT: FOUND THE PROBLEM.
Apparently the first time Ingrid called I was supposed to pick Wu to talk about him. Because I didn't, I missed a whole bunch of scenes like him telling Kaitlyn about his dad, prom dancing and the epilogue...etc. So I guess I just did something wrong. But, if I missed out some Wu points how did I still end up with the part where he told her he needs her and then told his mom about them dating?! That was really weird. I was so confused by that sudden relationship then nothing else about Wu after that.
Now that I actually got Wu's route for good, I LOVE HIM EVEN MORE OMG WHY CAN'T I MEET A GUY LIKE HIM xD
MOONCAKES ARE SO YUMMY OMG. D: KAITLYN WHYYYY. They're my favorite food. xD
Oh! Was just playing through it and one quick thing:
I find it weird that Gao was calling it "small school" and Kaitlyn was calling it kindergarten. At least where I live, kindergarten is called you er yuan. Xiao xue is basically elementary school, I believe. The terms we used were primary school for xiao xue and secondary school for zhong xue. (But I'm not sure if these terms are used throughout China, or only in certain provinces. At least that's what we called it in my city xD) But yeah. Not sure if I just misunderstood you or I have the incorrect info because mine is just based on personal experience, not research. xD

Godline
Veteran

#8 Post by Godline »

Windchimes wrote:
I would gladly whip up a quick translation for you but I'm afraid it might not be much help at this stage anymore xD
I'll PM you. ^^
Windchimes wrote:
But, if I missed out some Wu points how did I still end up with the part where he told her he needs her and then told his mom about them dating?! That was really weird. I was so confused by that sudden relationship then nothing else about Wu after that.
Now that I actually got Wu's route for good, I LOVE HIM EVEN MORE OMG WHY CAN'T I MEET A GUY LIKE HIM xD
Could have be a glitch that might be fixed now from the latest build (I hope).
Guys like that are out there, they're just not as outgoing, so you'd need to be a super don't-take-no-for-an-answer extrovert like Kaitlyn to win them over. ;)
Windchimes wrote:
MOONCAKES ARE SO YUMMY OMG. D: KAITLYN WHYYYY. They're my favorite food. xD
Eww, I remember when I first tried them and felt deceived because of the word 'cake'.
Windchimes wrote:
I find it weird that Gao was calling it "small school" and Kaitlyn was calling it kindergarten. At least where I live, kindergarten is called you er yuan. Xiao xue is basically elementary school, I believe. The terms we used were primary school for xiao xue and secondary school for zhong xue. (But I'm not sure if these terms are used throughout China, or only in certain provinces. At least that's what we called it in my city xD) But yeah. Not sure if I just misunderstood you or I have the incorrect info because mine is just based on personal experience, not research. xD
Nope, you didn't misunderstand. It is elementary school. But realistically I wanted Kaitlyn to be the type to over-exaggerate. Which may not have come across in the text there. ^^

Sayumi101
Veteran
Completed: Closing Spaces, Pastel Rain, Straight Up: Sister-zoned!, Run 'N Gun
Projects: Hunta-H ~Romancing Idols~
Deviantart: Sayumi101
itch: sayumi101

#9 Post by Sayumi101 »

Hey there!
Congrats on the game release!! ^O^)/
I'll be downloading it right now and will edit this post later on when I get to playing it...
Oooh, and language learning! The only Chinese I know is 为什么(Wèishéme) from my days watching Taiwanese dramas. But I guess their version is significantly different? I have no idea really.
Anywho, really looking forward to playing this ^^
ImageImageImage

Anne
Veteran
Completed: Fae

#10 Post by Anne »

Chinese recent trends Image

Godline
Veteran

#11 Post by Godline »

Sayumi101 wrote: Oooh, and language learning! The only Chinese I know is 为什么(Wèishéme) from my days watching Taiwanese dramas. But I guess their version is significantly different? I have no idea really.
Anywho, really looking forward to playing this ^^
You will learn a lot more. I will expect you to show off what you've learned in a pop quiz. ;) Taiwanese dramas... ahhh...

(And LMAO Anne. You should get more Gao-votes for this.)

GrizelyBear
Regular

#12 Post by GrizelyBear »

Oh my gosh, it's finally out! :O

I will definitely download this now and play it... after I survive from all my final exams ;w;b

I will give you my feedback later~ :> In advance, thank you for the game!

Godline
Veteran

#13 Post by Godline »

Great! If you like it please vote for it on Indie DB:
<3

qualifiedbadger

#14 Post by qualifiedbadger »

This was great fun! I've never learnt any mandarin apart from hearing about the 5-tone system before, so I learnt a lot!

I really liked the vocabulary system you could check at any time, and all the pronunciation sounds you could check. Xiexie for those!

Overall I think the entire thing was very balanced, at no point did the amount of chinese words overwhelm me, although I did get a couple of exam questions wrong. The characters and story were great too of course. Good job!

GrizelyBear
Regular

#15 Post by GrizelyBear »

So I got tired of studying for my Statistics finals and played this instead... and I definitely don't regret it! :D I loved this game so much!

Kaitlyn's personality was so refreshing to me. At first, I honestly thought she was a bit of a b (huhu, I'm sorry!), but as the story progressed, her go-getter attitude really grew on me. It's true that she's flawed (kinda spoiled, and a bit racist, though I don't think it's intentional), but she's not without her strengths. It's really nice to see such a strong protagonist in an Otome game! <3 I also liked how, in the end, she has matured. Not totally matured, but her personality growth is definitely evident. :D

I went after Wu first, and he's... He's so sweet ;w; I liked him so much asdfghjkl
The way he confessed to Kaitlyn was super adorable! I laughed a little when he suddenly went up to Lei just to prove himself to Kaitlyn. It's soooooooo cute! <3
I got Meng's ending next, and I must say, I love the friendship between the two girls.
It was touching to see how Kaitlyn, who was so obsessed at being prom queen, became happy for Meng when she got crowned instead, and how Kaitlyn said that Meng was her meimei. <3
Lastly, I got Gao. The reason I got him last is because I'm the type of person to go after the guy I like the most in an otome game last. I... I don't know. I'm weird that way. Anyway, I was not disappointed--his route is definitely my favorite!! <3
He's sooo straitlaced, and I think it complements Kaitlyn's personality. And I found it funny that he had to make up a committee just so he could spend time with her. He's so obvious that it's cute~ owo

I felt really sorry for Kaitlyn when she realized that Gao wasn't going to fight for her (after the scene where he kissed her), but I was also happy to see that she wasn't the type to mope and wallow in defeat. I guess I kinda got pissed at Gao at that scene for a moment, but I remember some of my Chinese friends saying that there are families in the mainland that are really still traditional, and would much rather keep their family free of foreigners...? I guess the game was trying to convey that culture through his route. So I sort of understood Gao not wanting to question his parents' decisions.

I thought this route would not have a happy ending, really, so I am glad that in the end, things got sorted out and Kaitlyn and Gao got that happy ending.I absolutely loved the scene where they talked after Kaitlyn's mom charged into Gao's household. It was so sweet when he took Kaitlyn seriously and got on his knees to tell her he loved her <3

Speaking of Kaitlyn's mom, I was so amused by her. XD She's so supportive and such a Mama Bear! She reminds me sooo much of my own mother who I love to bits :>
Anyway, I also like how this game teaches the basics of Mandarin. It's quite creative, and definitely executed in a fun way~ Honestly, even though I went through Mandarin class in high school, I never really got around to understanding how to use the different tones according to the symbols at the top of the letters. I just memorized how to pronounce the words themselves just so I could pass the subject ;___; Our laoshi didn't really teach us that ;w; I'm happy this game cleared things up for me.

All in all, I really love this game! <3 Thank you so much for making this visual novel! I hope you make many more :D

(I voted for you guys~ I hope you win!)