Locked Souls [BXG][Drama][Comedy][Demo] | ON HOLD

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
LiamExe
Regular
Projects: Locked Souls
itch: liamexe

Locked Souls [BXG][Drama][Comedy][Demo] | ON HOLD

#1 Post by LiamExe »

Development is being reworked.
Last edited by LiamExe on Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Current Project--Writing Services [OPEN]

infel
Veteran
Projects: Mark's Story(BxB(Reach for the Stars(GxG), Mermaid Sonata(GxG,NaNo16), Black Dale-Curse of the Scarlet Witch(Semi Hiatus), A Few Secret Games
Tumblr: lunarwingsgames

Re: Locked Souls [BXG] [Drama] [Comedy] [Demo]

#2 Post by infel »

I'm surprised that no one has checked out this thread. Though I normally don't play BxG, this seems like it has a nice story and I'm interested in the characters and their reactions with each other. The art is cute, though I did see your new art on Twitter and it's really well done =). If I can I'll try out the demo and will tell you what I thought. I wish you the best luck with this.
Please support my Twitter, Tumblr and Patreon

Patreon
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=885797&ty=h

Current Projects

A GxG game about overcoming your fears and growing up in an forever changing world. Also focuses on lesbian relationships and self image.

Mermaid Sonata- A game about mermaids, magic, and adventure

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=37512

LiamExe
Regular

#3 Post by LiamExe »

infel wrote:I'm surprised that no one has checked out this thread. Though I normally don't play BxG, this seems like it has a nice story and I'm interested in the characters and their reactions with each other. The art is cute, though I did see your new art on Twitter and it's really well done =). If I can I'll try out the demo and will tell you what I thought. I wish you the best luck with this.
Ahh, I was really surprised to see this be at the front page again. I really appreciate the interest~

Yeah, it was a little disheartening when I first posted it and it fell to the back pages, haha. But I understand the setting might not be for everyone.

I've been planning on revamping the thread with all the new assets when I get the chance. Mostly waiting for when I'm able to finish the new demo so I can show people how far its come in its new form. I'm really excited to be able to share it with everyone, it's just been taking me a bit longer than I thought to put it all together.

Windchimes
Veteran
Projects: Reanimation Scheme, Emberfate: Tempest of Elements
Organization: Wind Chimes Games

#4 Post by Windchimes »

This looks really interesting! Glad it went back up to the front page because I would have missed this project otherwise. I'm so glad you're still working on it!

Quick answers to your question:

What do you think of the setting? Are you okay with it? And if yes/no, why?
I think the setting is the most intriguing part so far. It's a fresh change from a lot of the VNs I've played. It'll definitely be interesting I think. Just a little concerned about the accuracy of the portrayal of the setting though, but I'm sure you've got that all figured out.

I haven't actually played the demo! But I should get to that (right after finishing this paper...xD)

Quick question: Will this VN be released for free or is it commercial?

Looking forward to more updates, especially with the new demo and new assets!

LiamExe
Regular

#5 Post by LiamExe »

Windchimes wrote:This looks really interesting! Glad it went back up to the front page because I would have missed this project otherwise. I'm so glad you're still working on it!
Thank yas, it's much appreciated~ And yeah, I've been sort of slowly chipping away at progress the past couple of years or so. Other commitments have made it difficult to find tons of time to work on it, but I've been ramping up development as more and more exposure to it comes up. It's kinda motivating, in a sense.
Windchimes wrote: What do you think of the setting? Are you okay with it? And if yes/no, why?
I think the setting is the most intriguing part so far. It's a fresh change from a lot of the VNs I've played. It'll definitely be interesting I think. Just a little concerned about the accuracy of the portrayal of the setting though, but I'm sure you've got that all figured out.
Admittedly, it's the portrayal part I'm most worried about. I've taken quite a few liberties in how prisons work perhaps, to shape my story, but I don't think I'm going too extreme. The way I'm seeing it is, highschools in anime clearly aren't the same as they are in real life, but they stick to reality enough (in most cases, anyway, student presidents with godlike powers aside : P) so there isn't too much of a disconnection.

But, I'm not stubborn, and if people find issues or think some parts could be handled better, I'm definitely open to changing and tweaking things, since for the most part I've sort of just been developing it in my own little world without really seeing what other people might think of such a setting.

Actually, up until now, I haven't really shared my writing in general, so this is kind of a first, haha, so I'm a bit nervous about things.
Windchimes wrote: I haven't actually played the demo! But I should get to that (right after finishing this paper...xD)

Quick question: Will this VN be released for free or is it commercial?

Looking forward to more updates, especially with the new demo and new assets!
Thank yas again~ Try not to judge too harshly with such an old build, in terms of both writing and some of the rougher parts like the backgrounds. : P

And It's going to be 100% free, since I'd like as many people as possible to be able to play through it without any kind of barrier to entry.

Admittedly the current demo I have up only very lightly touches on the inmates, and sort of builds up a big mystery around them as they float in and out of Luke's life, having their mischief, but the new demo will be everything the current demo is (with new assets) along with an extra part that has a lot more interaction with them all.

---

Since this thread has seen a bit more life to it in recent days, I'd like to also share a screenshot from my twitter to show how the game is currently looking, since it'll probably be a little bit longer before I can update the thread properly with new graphics.

(It's a little big, so I've had to link to it, click here~)

infel
Veteran
Projects: Mark's Story(BxB(Reach for the Stars(GxG), Mermaid Sonata(GxG,NaNo16), Black Dale-Curse of the Scarlet Witch(Semi Hiatus), A Few Secret Games
Tumblr: lunarwingsgames

#6 Post by infel »

I'm sorry that happened DX. I think you got a really good idea here though and I will say as I read I was interested to know more of the girls's backstory and how they ended up in there.

But it's good you're still working on this =). The old art is very cute, but the new art is very stunning. I saw the new screenshot you posted and the background looks great! Also, so does Lisa's sprite =).
Please support my Twitter, Tumblr and Patreon

Patreon
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=885797&ty=h

Current Projects

A GxG game about overcoming your fears and growing up in an forever changing world. Also focuses on lesbian relationships and self image.

Mermaid Sonata- A game about mermaids, magic, and adventure

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=37512

LiamExe
Regular

#7 Post by LiamExe »

infel wrote:I'm sorry that happened DX. I think you got a really good idea here though and I will say as I read I was interested to know more of the girls's backstory and how they ended up in there.

But it's good you're still working on this =). The old art is very cute, but the new art is very stunning. I saw the new screenshot you posted and the background looks great! Also, so does Lisa's sprite =).
I can guarantee that each girl's route is a rollercoaster ride of emotional highs and lows, haha. I really can't wait to be able to share with everyone all of their backstories and what happened in their life to lead them to where they are. The demo still keeps things mysterious around them beyond a hint or two, because I wouldn't want to spoil all the fun surprises right at the start.

And thank yas~ Yeah, I definitely have nothing against the old art since it has its adorable charm. When I first started writing, I never intended for it to get as big in scope as it is now, so I went simple and affordable with the designs. But the more I developed things, the more I realised the game would probably benefit from a slightly more mature set of character designs, and here we are today!

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by philip »

@LiamExe-

Downloaded and played through your demo. Nicely done; I like the characters and their portrayal; the story is interesting . . .
Although I cannot understand how Luke, who is such a timid, neurotic and indecisive wuss, ever ended up as a prison guard!
As to your questions:

-What do you think of the setting? Are you okay with it? And if yes/no, why?
The setting is fine (having never been in a prison, I have no idea whether this is an accurate portrayal or not. In any event, it's a STORY, so if it isn't quite accurate, it's OK).

-If you played the demo, who are your favourite, and least favourite characters, and why?
Hate to cop out on you, but each character has an appeal to me; not sure I could pick a favorite; my least favorite is Luke, because personality wise he seems to be a basket case.

-Is there anything overall you think I should improve upon, or expand upon?
Nope, it's YOUR story, and you should take it in whatever direction you want to go. The present art is fine, but the "improved" version is even better. Just one caution; which ever way you decide to go, please be sure to FINISH the story . . . I have seen so many promising efforts that start out with great enthusiasm, and then the progress posts become fewer and further apart until finally ceasing altogether.

Hope these comments are helpful - I wish the best of luck to you; and will look forward to your next release!

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

LiamExe
Regular

#9 Post by LiamExe »

philip wrote: Downloaded and played through your demo. Nicely done; I like the characters and their portrayal; the story is interesting . . .
Thank you very much for taking the time to go through the demo! It seriously means a lot to me.

To answer your spoilered part:
Well, it's certainly a mystery~ It's more a combination of having been at the right (wrong?) place at the right time, where desperation to keep a roof over his head reigned over any fears he might have had about applying to such a place. How he got such a role is touched upon later on in the story, too, and it isn't something I want to hand-wave away. Additionally, he quickly grows more comfortable with things as the story goes on, so there's some considerable growth to him as a character. I know it probably wouldn't be too appealing if he remained as timid as he is at the start for hours and hours. : P
philip wrote: -Is there anything overall you think I should improve upon, or expand upon?
Nope, it's YOUR story, and you should take it in whatever direction you want to go. The present art is fine, but the "improved" version is even better. Just one caution; which ever way you decide to go, please be sure to FINISH the story . . . I have seen so many promising efforts that start out with great enthusiasm, and then the progress posts become fewer and further apart until finally ceasing altogether.
I can guarantee that things will be finished! I'm aware that this thread has only recently seen activity after months of lying dormant, but I've been working hard to polish up the game and present it in a far more appealing form, and will be overhauling the main post soon. I'm just still working hard on finishing the revamped demo so I can show people how far its come and hopefully get more interest that way.

After that, regular updates should become more of a common occurrence, beyond the snippets I occasionally post on my twitter right now.

The current demo I have up definitely isn't the best way to be representing the game as it is right now, and I've been debating whether or not I should take it down until the new demo goes up, since I don't want people to be soured on the whole experience.
philip wrote:Hope these comments are helpful - I wish the best of luck to you; and will look forward to your next release!
Thanks again! Your post was definitely helpful. I always appreciate any and all feedback, be it good or bad, since I'm always striving to improve.

harajukulolita
Regular
Completed: None so far!
Projects: Currently working on... Starlight Wishes
Tumblr: loli-studio
Deviantart: harajukulolita

#10 Post by harajukulolita »

This seems like it will be auiye interesting when it's finally done. I'll definitely play the demo once it's out :)

Noyemi K
Regular
Completed: Pimiko Plus
Projects: Pairs, Monochrome Blues
Organization: Delmunsoft
Deviantart: NoyemiK
Github: NoyemiK
Soundcloud: mishkahd

#11 Post by Noyemi K »

Hey, this thread has gotten some replies! :o

I am also hyped for the new demo—it features all-new musical direction, composition and engineering by yours truly! I was supplied with quite a bit of very useful and interesting information, so there were a lot of places it could have gone but ultimately I think LiamExe and I had a final sound direction at least partially formed in our minds which was pretty much the same, so I'm excited to hear what people think of the new and improved demo when it releases later.
Music composer for:
Innate Imperfections [NaNoRenO 2015] | Blind Griffin [NaNoRenO 2015] | Locked Souls

Please consider hiring me to work on your game.

LiamExe
Regular

Re: Locked Souls [BXG][Drama][Comedy][Demo] | 21/2/16 BIG UP

#12 Post by LiamExe »

Aaaaand, bringing this topic back to life--with good reason!

It has now fully transformed, from its original 'Locked Hearts' conception to the shiny, new and improved Locked Souls!

I've updated the main post with new character images, new information on the game, and a link to the new demo!

I'll be looking to collect feedback on the various elements of the demo, and how best I can improve on things for the full game!

Noyemi K
Regular
Completed: Pimiko Plus
Projects: Pairs, Monochrome Blues
Organization: Delmunsoft
Deviantart: NoyemiK
Github: NoyemiK
Soundcloud: mishkahd

#13 Post by Noyemi K »

Music composer for:
Innate Imperfections [NaNoRenO 2015] | Blind Griffin [NaNoRenO 2015] | Locked Souls

Please consider hiring me to work on your game.

LiamExe
Regular

#14 Post by LiamExe »

Hiya there!

I've been a little behind on updating this thread while working hard on the script, but I wanted to share one of the side characters with you all today, who you might already be familiar with if you follow me on twitter, but I figured I'd update here, too, just in case anyone missed it!

In the following days, I'll be posting the other side characters as well, along with more detailed bios on the main characters.

Meet Charlotte, the prison's head physician!

Grumpy, bitter and sarcastic to all those she comes into contact with, she's a fairly unapproachable individual.

Despite this, however, she takes her profession seriously and is one of the most reliable staff members within the hospital when it comes to treating both the inmates, and the other staff alike. Her bedside manner leaves much to be desired, however...

Lusty5535
Tumblr: daloluluvr
Deviantart: BloodLusty5535

#15 Post by Lusty5535 »

This. Was. AWESOME!!! I cannot wait for more! Screw a little at a time. Do larger chunks at a time please. Worthwhile updates. FREAKING AMAZING!