A Very Important Date [GXB|GxG|BxB][Otome|Slice of Fantasy|Commercial]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Chibi Subaru
Regular
Projects: A Very Important Date
Organization: Naïve Sprites
Tumblr: naivesprites
Deviantart: naivesprites
itch: naivesprites

A Very Important Date [GXB|GxG|BxB][Otome|Slice of Fantasy|Commercial]

#1 Post by Chibi Subaru »

Here’s the link to the demo (Windows, Linux, and Mac): Our New itch.io page

You’re invited to The Looking Glass, Mimsboro’s finest restaurant.

Join my four employees and myself as we take you on a wonderful journey through the café world.

New in town? The Looking Glass is a grand place to start fresh.

Troubling day? Cleanse the nonsense of the world with one of our special herbal teas.

Looking to meet new people? When the sun sets, The Looking Glass becomes the most vibrant hotspot in town.

But the heart of The Looking Glass isn’t the world class cuisine or nightlife, it’s our employees. Take time to get to know each of us and you’ll make friends for life. Our magical personalities are sure to relieve the doldrums of everyday life.

So mark your calendars, my new friend, you wouldn’t want to be late for this will be [A Very Important Date]!

- Gwyn Arkwright, Owner of The Looking Glass Cafe

A Very Important Date is a café romance set in a strange, yet familiar world, with loose ties to Lewis Carroll's Alice stories. But this isn’t the typical Alice in Wonderland styled story! While A Very Important Date takes a few notes from the Carroll classics, you don't have to be a big fan of them to enjoy this game for its rich dialogue, witty humor, and unique art style!

Our story follows Alison Sunderlund, an average small town Ohio girl. By day she can be found working as a server in a local café and by night she takes care of her house and family: her dad and younger brother. Though she doesn't have a lot on her plate, the life she has gives her very little free time. But Alison's life changes one morning when she wakes up sitting under a tree in a brand new world.

Confused, Alison sets out to discover more about her new surroundings, accidentally stumbling upon the Arkwright estate, home of Gwyn Arkwright and The Looking Glass Café. With no place to go and a way back home seeming impossible, Gwyn, being the kind soul that he is, gives Alison a job and a place to stay for the time being. Everything's peachy except... now Alison must choose which of The Looking Glass' five employees will train her!

Will Alison stick with what she knows and remain a server? Will she a cut a new path as a cook's assistant? Will she wipe away her past burdens as a low-level dishwasher? Will Alison ever figure out what strange world she's in? Will she ever return to her old life?

Will she want to?

All stories* are written by Noëlle Hyzy, the winner of Voltage Inc.'s 4th Annual International Script Writing Contest for Romance Apps. The full finished release of A Very Important Date will feature:

* 8 suitors
* Expressive animated characters
* 12 chapters for each Suitor's Main Story
* 3 possible endings per Main Story
* 3 chapter Epilogues for each Suitor
* 40+ hours of content across all stories
* ≈50,000 words per Main Story
* 300,000+ words across the whole game
* At least 6 CGs per Main Story
* Main character CG options
* 14 amazing tracks from Composer Geoff Moore
* 60+ beautiful backgrounds
* Episodic content
* Will be available for Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android

Naïve Sprites is an up-and-coming visual novel developer that makes games for iOS and Android devices. The company is housed in Franklin, Ohio, but it has six talented artisans from all across the world on its team. Our mission is to provide visual novel readers with strong, female-led stories that are entertaining, engaging, and do away with "damsel in distress" cliché.

Chibi Subaru​: Project Director, Executive Producer, Writer, Conceptualizer
Justin V: Co-Writer, Editor, Art Editor, Background Concept Artist, GUI Button Artist, Logo Artist
kooriesque​: Character Concept Artists
darkenmarr: Sprite and CG Artist, Logo Concept Artist
furude and lordless: BG Artist, GUI BG Artist
IchBinJager and Wolfborg: Programmer
Geoff Moore: Composer

Season 1: Main Stories
Current word count: ≈266,000

Gwyn FINALIZED
Outline: 100%
Writing: 100%
Editing: 100%

Emil FINALIZED
Writing: 95%
Editing: 95%

Rory
Outline: 70%
Writing: 60%
Editing: 10%

Harlan
Outline: 80%
Writing: 75%
Editing: 25%

Sven
Writing: 80%
Editing: 0%

Season 1: Epilogue

Gwyn
Outline: 50%
Writing: 10%

Season 1: Sequels

Gwyn
Outline: 20%
Writing: 0%

CGs: 5%
Sprites: ≈ 50% (For Demo: 95%) -
Backgrounds: 46/?? (For Demo: 100%)
Music: 9/14
In-Gameplay UI: 95%
Rest of GUI: 45%
Coding: ??%

1. Did the synopsis and summary intrigue you to play A Very Important Date?
2. Do you like the art style?
3. Which of our characters stand out to you?
4. How many CGs do you expect in a 12 chapter story?
5. What is your preferred platform for playing visual novels/otome games?
6. For mobile players: Is $3.99 USD per story an affordable price for your visual novel experience?
7. PC: If this was made into a PC game, how much would you be willing to pay for the game?
8. Other critiques, suggestions, questions?
UPDATES
10/19/2019 - New Gwyn Sprite and Current Progress
6/20/2017 - PayPal Allowed for Our Kickstarter Now!
1/1/2017 - New Song
12/28/2016 - Greenlit on Steam
12/11/2016 - New Kickstarter Tier
12/6/2016 - Progress Update
11/29/2016 - Greenlight Campaign starts!
11/28/2016 - Kickstarter Update + Upcoming Announcement
11/19/2016 - Third Kickstarter Update + Milestones
11/18/2016 - Second Kickstarter Update + Thunderclap
11/16/2016 - Kickstarter Started and Sprite Update
11/13/2016 - Demo 2.0 out for Windows and Mac
10/16/2016 - Introducing more characters
8/24/2016 - New Official Prologue Demo!
7/19/2016 - New music and Progress Report
5/27/2016 - News and new Demo
4/26/2016 - New Sprites for Gwyn and Alison (MC)
4/1/2016 - New Sprite for Sven
3/30/2016 - New Sprite for Harlan
3/29/2016 - New Sprites for Emil and Rory
1/22/2016 - Live Stream
1/1/2016
12/19/2015
12/08/2015
10/01/2015
You can follow our progress and learn more about A Very Important Date by visiting the links below:
Facebook
Tumblr
Twitter
DeviantArt
Last edited by Chibi Subaru on Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:33 pm, edited 92 times in total.

Red-Baby
Veteran
Completed: Free!: Arabian Nights, BAKED:MAGIC, I'm a love interest in my CHILDHOOD FRIEND'S reverse harem!!!, I'm a side character in a BL story!, Ell's Kitchen
Projects: Wrong Number
Organization: WitPOP
itch: red-baby

Re: A Very Important Date [Otome|Slice of Fantasy|Commercial

#2 Post by Red-Baby »

It sounds very Alice in Wonderland-esque to me, which isn't a bad thing. More so you are taking something classic and telling the story in your own way. Or in this case, allowing the playing to tell it in their way. =]

I love it! There's a good use of patterns on the clothes and texture. Good job to your sprite artist.

They all stand out in their own way. But I guess Gwyn stands out the most to me because of his top hat. Haha.

Depends on the story. I prefer well placed CGs rather than having a CG in the middle of the game for the sake of it. I guess I can't really answer this one very well.

PC - Windows. I don't use Apple products but I know a lot of people do.

6. For mobile players: Is $3.99 USD per story an affordable price for your visual novel experience?
I don't download games onto my phone so I can't really answer this. But it seems like a reasonable price.

7. PC: If this was made into a PC game, how much would you be willing to pay for the game?
For 12 chapters I'm not too sure. I tend to only buy PC games that are around $10-15 [on Steam] but they are usually shorter 5-6 chapter long games.
How long will each chapter be?
Ultimately, you should figure out the minimum selling price you need in order to break even or to make a profit. How much time and money are you putting into the game? How much would you like to get back?

I'm interested on how you plan to go about the '5 suitor stories you can buy individually'. Can you explain this in more depth?

Chibi Subaru
Regular

#3 Post by Chibi Subaru »

Thank you so much for your reply! I told my sprite artist your answer on the art and she says thank you.
How long will each chapter be?
Chapters are between 3,000 to 4,500 words depending on the events during the chapter.
Ultimately, you should figure out the minimum selling price you need in order to break even or to make a profit. How much time and money are you putting into the game? How much would you like to get back?
We're aware of this and we have a rough pricing method worked out if we were to make the game for PC. We are just looking for customer feedback on past experiences with PC visual novels to see where the borderline of "costs too much" and "price is just right" is so we can base our pricing appropriately.
Other critiques, suggestions, questions?
I'm interested on how you plan to go about the '5 suitor stories you can buy individually'. Can you explain this in more depth?
The otome/Japanese visual novel games on the smartphone and devices tend to use pay per route instead of using the common route method. Voltage Inc, one of the main otome developers on the smartphones, usually release a game with one or two suitor main stories and then slowly releases the others every month or so after the initial release date. They also tend to release sequel stories and side stories to allow players more experiences with the characters they like. This type of format is exactly what we are aiming for with A Very Important Date.

If we decide to also release our game for PC, I'm not sure if we'd be able to deliver that same type of experience. This is something that I would need to discuss with our programmers.

HeroicRoxas

#4 Post by HeroicRoxas »

Will you be needing voice actors?

Chibi Subaru
Regular

#5 Post by Chibi Subaru »

At this moment, we don't plan to do voices for our game due to our budget.

hrkamlsa555

#6 Post by hrkamlsa555 »

1. Did the synopsis and summary intrigue you to play "A Very Important Date"?

-It honestly did because it sounded so Alice-in-Wonderland-y, which I really love! It didn't really catch me at first but as I continued reading and getting the concept, I started to dig it. I'm really into whimsical themes, AND I KNOW I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE ;)

-I really love this art style! So much detail and color, however some characters' art styles make it look done by different artists (though I'm not saying is a bad thing) :)

-Everyone had something that made them stand out whether it was the outfit, the hair, the unique features, or the character sketch. However, who caught me the most must has been Sven! His highlights stand out, he looks so shota-ish which is suuuppeerrrr adoorrabbllleeee and his character profile struck me the most out of all the characters. (I JUST WANNA HUG HIM <3 <3 <3)

-It would actually be nice to have a CG per chapter for an event in that chapter that acted as somehow like the "main", "most important", or what the makers would want to be the "most memorable" event. But that's up to you guys :)

-Although there are alot of amazing VNs for PSP and Android/Apple, I actually prefer PC :)

-Although a lot of people (me included) would prefer games for free, I understand you have to make a living xD I think it's a reasonable price :)

-I would actually be willing to pay what the makers see fit for the game. As long as it looks worth it and as long as the makers only ask for the right amount and not ask for more than what the game deserves.

- I really look forward to this but I do have just a couple of suggestions:
a. First, regarding payments. If you do plan to let people pay for each character/story, then may I suggest a free prologue for each? Somehow like a "teaser" so those who don't plan on paying still get a taste of the different stories and this would provoke and somehow advertise the story and attract buyers.

b. Second, regarding CGs. May I suggest that you provide a CG for the first meeting of each character? Like, during a first meeting before showing the sprite, show a CG of that character to somehow (again) 'tease' the readers and make a good first impression of that character because what better way to make a character look better than they really are but through CGs! And I believe I'm not the only VN player who think so xD Just a suggestion though :)

Chibi Subaru
Regular

#7 Post by Chibi Subaru »

O_O OMG! You have a Ren icon!

People seem to like Sven a lot, if not him, it's Gwyn, lol.

Well, seeing that you have a Ren icon, I am going to guess that you are familiar with Voltage's games. Our plan is to provide readers with the prologue and two to three free chapters, so they can decide if they want to purchase or not. During these chapters, there will also be at least one CG per character, so the fans can get a better look at each of the characters.

Thank you for your reply ^_^

neuropsy
Regular
Projects: Emissary of Starlight
Tumblr: emissaryofstarlight

#8 Post by neuropsy »

Yeah, it did! I've been following the Tumblr before this thread was made, so I've been looking forward to this game. I wonder what sort of game Alison was playing when she fell into the world... When I first read the synopsis, I imagined her playing an otoge and being transported into its world.

Yep! Anime-styled art is my favorite. The garden background is beautiful, by the way.

(Answering from my knowledge of their personalities from the blog) Emil stood out to me first (I seem to have taken a liking to him despite typically avoiding those types of characters), but the influx of asks showcasing how much of a cinnamon roll Sven is made me partial towards him, too. Gwyn seems like an awesome guy and Harlan looks like the type of person who'd give the best hugs. I want to bro Rory--you think he can give me a complementary makeover while I play video games with Sven?

Hmmm... CGs to me are more like treats than what draws me to the game. If I had a preference, though, I'd say maybe one a chapter if it was within the budget? I'm developing a VN with 21 chapters, but I'm probably going to limit my CGs to the major scenes. I guess I'd say then as long as the major scenes take precedence in terms of which scenes get CGs, I'll be more than fine.

On my laptop, definitely.

Hmm, maybe around 12 bucks, as long as the game has a sufficient amount of content? I've really like what I've seen so far. :)

I want to know how Alison got transported into their world, and how she'll try to figure out if she's still on Earth. I know these are spoileriffic plot points, though, so I'll wait until I can play the game to see where this leads.

EDIT: Also--love how the characters have their own signatures! A nice, thoughtful detail.
"Everyone was jumping a giant jump rope, but I was too scared to join. I was hesitant, like a child, always waiting for you."
Current Project: Emissary of Starlight

Chibi Subaru
Regular

#9 Post by Chibi Subaru »

Hi! It’s nice to see you on here. So sorry with the late reply! Working on this game and school is such time consuming work, but I love it.
Yep! Anime-styled art is my favorite. The garden background is beautiful, by the way.

We really wanted to keep an anime-style to the game as it seems to be something people expect and want when playing an otome game. So, we combined the more westernized-style writing/plot with an anime art style. It seems this is what a lot of English market otome mobile players want based on their opinions on Voltage USA games.
(Answering from my knowledge of their personalities from the blog) Emil stood out to me first (I seem to have taken a liking to him despite typically avoiding those types of characters), but the influx of asks showcasing how much of a cinnamon roll Sven is made me partial towards him, too. Gwyn seems like an awesome guy and Harlan looks like the type of person who'd give the best hugs. I want to bro Rory--you think he can give me a complementary makeover while I play video games with Sven?
Because of the asks and the questions directed at Sven I’ve learned the term “cinnamon roll”. Based on his character type, I expected people to be drawn to him, but I’m surprised by just how much. The asks have been a lot of fun and they've allowed us to see how people like or dislike our characters.

I don’t see why Rory wouldn’t do that. Giving makeovers are one of his favorite things!
Hmmm... CGs to me are more like treats than what draws me to the game. If I had a preference, though, I'd say maybe one a chapter if it was within the budget? I'm developing a VN with 21 chapters, but I'm probably going to limit my CGs to the major scenes. I guess I'd say then as long as the major scenes take precedence in terms of which scenes get CGs, I'll be more than fine.
As much as I would LOVE to have a CG per chapter, I sadly don't think it would be viable on our budget.
On my laptop, definitely.
Right now we’re concentrating specifically on mobile platforms, but I hope to one day be able to expand this onto Steam. This would either depend on our current programmers, who aren’t that familiar with Steam, or getting another programmer in the future that is more familiar with making games for Steam. This, however, would also mean that we would most likely have to increase our budget to accommodate a Steam developer, also. So as of right now, we are aiming at only mobile devices, but a Steam launch could happen in the future if all the necessary elements fall into place.
EDIT: Also--love how the characters have their own signatures! A nice, thoughtful detail.

You made Justin’s day! He worked so hard on trying to make those signatures match the character's personalities and you’re the first person to mention them, lol.

Chibi Subaru
Regular

#10 Post by Chibi Subaru »

Some updates about our progress:

We have added two members to our team: Sandy (Character Pose Concept Artist) and Morhighan (GUI Artist).

Art

We also have 13 backgrounds total, we're still not sure how many we fully need for the game as we are trying to cut down on the amount.

After some careful consideration, we are reworking some of our sprites so that they better reflect the character’s personality. Sandy and kooriesque​ are sketching out pose concept references for our sprite artist to use and implement into each character. Along with these new changes to our sprites, our sprite artist is experimenting with a new coloring style, so our sprites might have more than one update to their look here soon.

Game Production Timeline

We currently have a timeline for our production, but this could change at any time due to any technical difficulties and life events with any of the team members. Our demo should be out around March and then our Kickstarter will follow shortly after. Our production schedule, unless changed at some point, looks like this:
  • End of October, 2015: Prototype Version
    End of January, 2016: Playable Version
    End of March, 2016: Alpha Version
    End of May, 2016: Beta Version
    End of August, 2016: Version 1.0
Extra

We have hit 100 followers on our tumblr page! To give back to all of you wonderful fans, we are planning a button giveaway. After papersweetsatelier​ finishes the button designs and we get the buttons made, we will give them away to a group of lucky winners as a thank you for all you’ve done for us.

We'll try to keep this thread more up to date in the future.

hrkamlsa555

#11 Post by hrkamlsa555 »

Chibi Subaru wrote:O_O OMG! You have a Ren icon!

Well, seeing that you have a Ren icon, I am going to guess that you are familiar with Voltage's games. Our plan is to provide readers with the prologue and two to three free chapters, so they can decide if they want to purchase or not. During these chapters, there will also be at least one CG per character, so the fans can get a better look at each of the characters.

Haha yeeesssss I ABSOLUTELY LOVE REENNN!!!! You must be familiar with Voltage, too!! It's nice to finally meet someone else <3 <3 <3

Oh lewl haha my suggestions were basically what you were already gonna do. Sorry about that xD

fah-renheit
Deviantart: fah-renheit

#12 Post by fah-renheit »

Like everybody said , It's like Alice in wonderland. It's also 50/50. Some curious people might want to know how you will represent this well-know story in your own way. But some might just turn away.

The Design look nice , but the color picking kinda hurt my eyes. Plust they didn't represent their "Ludthwig" And I think the coloring kinda look "flat". I dunno but this is my feeling.
But the BG are awesome^^ I love it so much

The owner XD

I can say 4-5 from my experience.

PC and mobile device.

Yes , but it should come with good story and art with that price. It's kinda expectable price for good game.

The VN in Steam have the prie range from 4$-18$ , But you should check it by yourself. Also check the feed back , and check the play through vdo n youtube , then judge yourself. That's the good way to know the answer of thise question.

Good VN are not only about good art , I've play many VN so far. I do prefer average art with super great story , than super cool art but dump , stupid , unbelieveable , unreasonable plot. I have the high standard for the game , and wish more good game will be made. :")
You can ask for my oppinion once the demo had been release.

Chibi Subaru
Regular

#13 Post by Chibi Subaru »

hrkamlsa555 wrote:

Haha yeeesssss I ABSOLUTELY LOVE REENNN!!!! You must be familiar with Voltage, too!! It's nice to finally meet someone else <3 <3 <3

Oh lewl haha my suggestions were basically what you were already gonna do. Sorry about that xD
Yes! I've been playing their games for two years now. It's because of them that I want to make a visual novel/otome game.

I like Ren, but Kunihiko is my favorite <3

Oh, you have nothing to be sorry about ^_^. Since we're a new developer, we're glad to see that features we are planning are already in line with what our players would want.

fah-renheit
Deviantart: fah-renheit

#14 Post by fah-renheit »

Chibi Subaru wrote:
hrkamlsa555 wrote:

Yes! I've been playing their games for two years now. It's because of them that I want to make a visual novel/otome game.

I like Ren, but Kunihiko is my favorite <3

Oh, you have nothing to be sorry about ^_^. Since we're a new developer, we're glad to see that features we are planning are already in line with what our players would want.

GOSH!! I do love Voltage to!! But I always stick to Metro PD LOL My favorite is Hanai XD

Chibi Subaru
Regular

#15 Post by Chibi Subaru »

Sorry for the late response, I've been dealing with a very busy semester at school. Right now I'm in finals week.
fah-renheit wrote:1. Did the synopsis and summary intrigue you to play A Very Important Date?
Like everybody said , It's like Alice in wonderland. It's also 50/50. Some curious people might want to know how you will represent this well-know story in your own way. But some might just turn away.
The Lutwidge signs are something that we personally created with each character and their story in mind. These are based on Western and Chinese Zodiac signs, but since the story takes place in a different world, we needed to call them something else. Since the story is loosely themed around the Alice in Wonderland book series, we decided to call this world's Zodiac signs, Lutwidge Signs, after the Alice series creator Lewis Carroll aka Charles Lutwidge Dodgson.

Another theme of the Alice series and a passion of Carroll's was chess, which is where we took the name for the different signs and based the meaning, movement, and importance of each piece to the characters within our story. I don't want to give too much away about what each piece represents and how each character represents that piece, as it could give away some crucial plot details.

The color vibrancy in our characters is something we are aware of and we're manipulating them a bit with our new sprite artist.

We are extremely proud of the work that our BG artists have done for us. They have been instrumental in making the vision of A Very Important Date a reality.
fah-renheit wrote: 8. Other critiques, suggestions, questions?
Good VN are not only about good art , I've play many VN so far. I do prefer average art with super great story , than super cool art but dump , stupid , unbelieveable , unreasonable plot. I have the high standard for the game , and wish more good game will be made. :")
You can ask for my oppinion once the demo had been release.
We understand full well the importance of story substance over pretty visuals. Myself and Justin take pride in our writing, but we still take the time to write out the stories, then we edit, edit, edit, and edit until we get the stories to a point that there are no plot holes, no grammatical mistakes (unless the dialogue calls for it), and that the characters, the relationships, and the world they exist in are fleshed out and believable.

Because we know how important the novel part of a visual novel is, we've had a few people read and review some of the scripts for a few of our routes so far. These individuals are longtime followers of the genre and are pretty harsh reviewers, but what they look forward to in a VN game are on all sides of the spectrum. We listened to their critiques, re-wrote sections that needed it, and adapted to create a style that we feel a wider audience would appreciate. These individuals have been very helpful in shaping our routes and we are thankful for the help they have given us.
fah-renheit wrote: GOSH!! I do love Voltage to!! But I always stick to Metro PD LOL My favorite is Hanai XD
I love MPD! My favorites are Kirisawa, Kimura, Tennoji, and so far Himuro is slowly joining that list. I still need to read Himuro’s other routes.

Right now I’m really into Astoria Fate’s Kiss/Labyrinths of Astoria by Voltage USA. I really like the writing style in this game and the art is great, too. Which reminds me I need to buy Hydra’s season 2 main story 1 and 2 some point this week.