Kaitlyn in Chinaland [Language learning, Otome]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

Re: Kaitlyn in Chinaland [Language learning, Otome]

#16 Post by Godline »

qualifiedbadger wrote:Overall I think the entire thing was very balanced, at no point did the amount of chinese words overwhelm me, although I did get a couple of exam questions wrong. The characters and story were great too of course. Good job!
That's awesome! <3 Some people find Kaitlyn a bit much, but I'm glad you liked it all.
GrizelyBear wrote:Kaitlyn's personality was so refreshing to me. At first, I honestly thought she was a bit of a b (huhu, I'm sorry!)
Oh no, that was intentional. She's supposed to be the cliche cheerleader bitch. That's something that makes going to China even harder to handle for her than it would be for someone else. ;)
GrizelyBear wrote:
I guess I kinda got pissed at Gao at that scene for a moment, but I remember some of my Chinese friends saying that there are families in the mainland that are really still traditional, and would much rather keep their family free of foreigners...? I guess the game was trying to convey that culture through his route.
Your friends are right. Hehe. Often families will force people to break up if they don't meet family expectations. If there is a sequel then there will be a lot more exploration of that with Gao. Mostly because the pressure is worse around marrying-age, whereas Gao's parents might accept him being with Kaitlyn NOW, once he gets into his early to mid-twenties they'd likely encourage him to look for a real prospective marriage and not play around with girls like Kaitlyn.
GrizelyBear wrote:
Speaking of Kaitlyn's mom, I was so amused by her. XD She's so supportive and such a Mama Bear! She reminds me sooo much of my own mother who I love to bits :>
My mom is a mamma-bear too. ;)
GrizelyBear wrote:All in all, I really love this game! <3 Thank you so much for making this visual novel! I hope you make many more :D

(I voted for you guys~ I hope you win!)
Awww. <3 TY so much! (Makes it all worth it).

Sayumi101
Veteran
Completed: Closing Spaces, Pastel Rain, Straight Up: Sister-zoned!, Run 'N Gun
Projects: Hunta-H ~Romancing Idols~
Deviantart: Sayumi101
itch: sayumi101

#17 Post by Sayumi101 »

So, I finally got around to playing this game. It's so light and funny and awesome.
As far as the characters go I love Kaitlyn even though she's all sarcastic and beachy X'D Wu is just adorable and he's a sporty guy, BONUS. And Gao, the prim and proper no nonsense guy, uhuhuu, me likey. And Meng, I don't know what to say about her since for some reason she reminds me a LOT of my high school classmate so minor feels trip.

Now that we've got the mindless fangirling out of the way I want to say that I really enjoyed the game. The vocabulary option was great and the hovering button that give the pronunciations was a nice touch. Though it caught me off guard when the voice I was getting used to suddenly changed, lol. Really, I think I might have abused them poor buttons >.<

I for one got pretty fired up trying to memorize all the words so kudos on actually making language learning fun! I don't know if I was so caught up in the game itself or not but I only found 3 of those trivia dragons that randomly appeared even though I SO wanted to stay alert for them.
And ooh, also, I did great well enough on the QUIZ in the extras section. ^O^)/

Now for the playthrough.
I was trying hard. SO VERY HARD to get into Gao's path. Was plenty distracted with the flow of the story and getting all them Chinese words horded in my brain so I probably didn't pay as much attention as I should have. So when Wu came and was talking and suddenly confessed I was like 'Wait!!! WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED!? Did I read that right? Am I SO CHARMING that the guys can't resist me and will now FIGHT OVER ME?' <-- suffice to say Kaitlyn was rubbing off on me XD So anyway, after getting over it I was busy swooning and the cuteness of it all and wait did he just go announce his love to his Mom? It was so awesome! So much more awesome because it caught me off guard. Wu is my bae, sorry Gao.
So then I replayed the game to get all of Wu's scenes since really he deserved to be pursued all on his own, lol.

Then I went for Gao. My favourite part on his path my Kaitlyn's mother. I mean I didn't think I'd like her since she carted her only daughter off to China and all, but she was so great. Was debating whether to virtually whack him on the head for being a doll controlled by his parents at first (But it's a real thing though, wanting to adhere to your parent's expectation and their dreams of you. It's the very same thing that happens over here. Though the 'lack of approval' is not confined to foreigners but religions and caste and yadda yadda. Sheesh.) But anyways, he more than made up for it in the end. ^^
And the scene with Meng. "So he's 'like' your brother." "Yes, he's my brother." "LIKE your brother." "Yes, my brother." "LIKE!" was really amusing, lol. She's super adorable, will surely go back to play her path once there's more time to kill.
Ah also, I caught this bug on Gao's path Atleast I think it's one (?)
Where basically after you say you like him at the Karaoke and his eyes go all blank. Then suddenly a second Gao magically comes from the left and merges with the Gao at the center. His spirit that got knocked out of his body at the shock of the confession, maybe?
Attachments
fffffff.jpg
ImageImageImage

Heiden
Regular
Completed: Elvine, The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers, Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend, Beyond the Deep, The Bog's Heart, The Girl With the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A
Projects: The Town Pages, Kill the Prince?! [Nano 2020]
Tumblr: heidengames
itch: Heiden

#18 Post by Heiden »

AAAHHH I loved this game so much!!! I really loved Kaitlyn's personality and how she was just TERRIBLE but in a really fun way haha XD. And the two boys were really great AND I REALLY LIKED MENG SHE WAS SO CUTE (I love friendships omggggggggg) I'm sorry this is like, a really incoherent comment, haha :'D. Congrats on finishing!

Also, I was able to use some of the Chinese I learned from this game in talking to a 4yo Chinese boy the other day! So thank you so much for making such a fun learning game! :)
Completed: Elvine (GxB), The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers (GxG)(As Writer, Coder), Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend (BxB), Beyond the Deep (GxB)(As Artist), The Bog's Heart, The Girl with the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A.

All available to play on my itch.io page!

Amiralo
Regular
Completed: What's your name? : 2017 nano reno, Saccharine: a misleading sim date. Reverie: an odd simdate. Where adabans grow: an asian simdate. Monochrome and colors.
Projects: Enwiss the Beloved
Organization: Amiralo
Deviantart: Amiralo

#19 Post by Amiralo »

Hi! How do I get into Gao's route? I am having trouble haha...ha
My deviant art (where you can look at the embarrassing sim dates I have made). http://amiralo.deviantart.com/

My current project
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54150

n0tgin
Regular

#20 Post by n0tgin »

Congratulations on the release! I haven't been around on the forum for quite a while so this was something nice to come back to! I must say I've been looking forward to this! Hopefully I'll have time to play it soon... orz

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Metasepia Games
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
itch: qirien
Discord: qirien

#21 Post by qirien »

Congrats on the release! I have to say, I voted for solo-style, because even though Kaitlyn learned a lot, I'm not sure she really deserves Wu or Gao yet! Maybe in a sequel. Though, I enjoyed both routes (and Meng's route!) anyway. :-)

(Ha ha, I just now noticed what Kaitlyn's shirt says - that is so perfect!!).
Finished games:

sakurakimuchi
Regular

#22 Post by sakurakimuchi »

Oh hey, I'm downloading this right now. I'll leave feedback after I'm done with it, okay? :D

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

#23 Post by Godline »

Sounds great! Too all. Sorry for late replies. Tis the season.

If anyone wants to post up a walk through I would be most grateful! <3

sakurakimuchi
Regular

#24 Post by sakurakimuchi »

I'm having trouble getting into Gao's path :(; anyone has a guide for that? I'll love you guys forever if you do.

Other than that, the game is actually great! Like, a language learning otome is a brilliant idea, but the way you pulled this off was so nice! Congrats! And also, the game is really funny, even if some of Kaitlyn's racist remarks annoyed the hell out of me, she can be funny sometimes, I'll give you that.

Ordog
Regular

#25 Post by Ordog »

I really enjoyed reading the whole story, Kaitlyn is really fun to follow (though sometime she shocked me, it didn't bother me since she kind of matured in the end).
The romance is really sweet, and though I wanted to keep Wu for the end (because you eat the yummiest dessert last), I ended getting his ending while trying to get a ForeverAlone one xD
Then I went for Gao, and though he was cute, he lacked fierceness ! (Except for that cutscene in the park...prolly...)
Also, I was playing the phone version (android) and I really was bothered by the size of the icons ! The first time, I had to tap like a dozen times aiming for the start icon, then to any icon !! Eventually, the game started, but I didn't save or load while playing (Taking risks oh yeah) !
The second thing that bothered me was browsing the Vocabulary. Really, look for a word when not understanding (or not answering well the tests) was a bother ! Maybe adding the option of getting a hint to which category the word belongs to, when hovering over the word could have helped using the vocabs...
So...Icon size and Vocabs use~
I also hope you won't let yourself be annoyed by unjustified comments such as the one you've answered on GS. (Prolly the bf you had to dump in order to offer us such a fun game xDD) Anyway, good luck and jiayou~

May I add that I prefer the first title of the game ? (My stupid American, right ? xD)

EDIT:
(Has anyone managed to access the extra from the app ? I still cannot, it either send me to the options or Quit the game wth)
Last edited by Ordog on Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ordog
Regular

#26 Post by Ordog »

Hint if you don't want the straight answers, For Gao : I think you have to chose all the answers avoiding Wu and American stuff. (That's for the hint)
Detailed Walkthrough (or something I tried) :
I.
a)Great you can teach me Chinese on the way
b)Great I want to get some shut eye.
II.
a)I want to know how to pick up guys.
b)I want to know the basics.
III.
a)Feed me please !
b)I'm not hungry.
*test1 GaoStyle 3questions~*
IV.
a)No.I should study.
b)Yeah.Okay.
V.
a)Ask to go to the park.
b)Let them decide.
VI.
a)Turn the TV up so Wu gets the point.
b)Turn the TV off and apologize to Wu.
VII.
a)Ask about Lei's husband.
b)Offer to help cook dinner.
VIII.
a)Yes.You have no idea how badly YES!
b)Nah.It's cool here.
IX.
a)I haven't met anyone particularly.
b)I don't know.I guess someone in particular makes it a little less horrible.
X.
a)Gao
b)Wu.
c)Meng.
d)Lei.Wu's mom.
XI.
a)Gao.
b)Wu.
c)Meng.
*Second test ! 2 questions~*
XII.
a)Call Meng.
b)Go to the Park.
*Third test ! 3 questions~* (What does "bi" mean btw ?)
XIII.
a)Sing the song you know.
b)Get them to teach you a song.
XV.
a)Go to prom.
b)Don't go to prom.
*Fourth test no time to slack ! 3questions~*
ENDING~
btw, I answered correctly on all the tests (I don't know if it changes anything if you don't)
Those are the answers I chose, maybe you can get Gao's route with different answers...
If there's any question, just ask~

sakurakimuchi
Regular

#27 Post by sakurakimuchi »

Ordog wrote:Hint if you don't want the straight answers, For Gao : I think you have to chose all the answers avoiding Wu and American stuff. (That's for the hint)
Detailed Walkthrough (or something I tried) :
I.
a)Great you can teach me Chinese on the way
b)Great I want to get some shut eye.
II.
a)I want to know how to pick up guys.
b)I want to know the basics.
III.
a)Feed me please !
b)I'm not hungry.
*test1 GaoStyle 3questions~*
IV.
a)No.I should study.
b)Yeah.Okay.
V.
a)Ask to go to the park.
b)Let them decide.
VI.
a)Turn the TV up so Wu gets the point.
b)Turn the TV off and apologize to Wu.
VII.
a)Ask about Lei's husband.
b)Offer to help cook dinner.
VIII.
a)Yes.You have no idea how badly YES!
b)Nah.It's cool here.
IX.
a)I haven't met anyone particularly.
b)I don't know.I guess someone in particular makes it a little less horrible.
X.
a)Gao
b)Wu.
c)Meng.
d)Lei.Wu's mom.
XI.
a)Gao.
b)Wu.
c)Meng.
*Second test ! 2 questions~*
XII.
a)Call Meng.
b)Go to the Park.
*Third test ! 3 questions~* (What does "bi" mean btw ?)
XIII.
a)Sing the song you know.
b)Get them to teach you a song.
XV.
a)Go to prom.
b)Don't go to prom.
*Fourth test no time to slack ! 3questions~*
ENDING~
btw, I answered correctly on all the tests (I don't know if it changes anything if you don't)
Those are the answers I chose, maybe you can get Gao's route with different answers...
If there's any question, just ask~
Thank you, thank you thank you! :D