Strawberry Vinegar [Comedy, SoL, GxG, Released]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ebi-hime
Veteran
Completed: Asphyxia, Blackberry Honey, The Language of Love, etc
Tumblr: ebi-hime
itch: ebihime

Strawberry Vinegar [Comedy, SoL, GxG, Released]

#1 Post by ebi-hime »

Download:
The VN costs $9.99, and is available on Steam and itch.io for winds/mac/linux!

Plot synopsis:
"Feed me, or I'll reap your soul!"
And with those ridiculous words, my whole life was turned upside down.

Sakuraba Rie, aged nine, is a cynical and grumpy girl who cares little for her fellow classmates, and does not have a single friend.
That is, until a self-proclaimed demon from the deepest, darkest pits of Hell suddenly appears in Rie's kitchen and steals a tray of cookies.
What will happen between these two young girls? Will friendship blossom between them, or perhaps something more?
That is up to the reader to decide - but rest assured, no matter what, there will lots and lots of delicious food!

Characters:

Sakuraba Rie:
The heroine of the story. An intelligent girl who speaks with an eloquence uncommon to most nine year olds.
She doesn't particularly like people, and is happiest when left to her own devices.
Naturally, she has perfect grades. She would be an ideal student, were her dislike/distrust of her peers not so eminent.

Licia Dia Ivlis:
The young demon girl who appears in Rie's kitchen. Despite being from Hell, Licia is a cheerful girl who always seems to be smiling.
She has no qualms about keeping her identity secret, and blathers about her status as a demon to anybody who will listen.
Conveniently, nobody other than Rie seems to find this at all suspicious.

Shirakawa Yukine:
Rie's mother, though she doesn't have the same family name as her daughter. She's a semi-famous actress.
She has a fondness for fine fashion, and owns a truly disgusting amount of clothes and shoes.
Her greatness fondness in life appears to be making others squirm, and she likes teasing people - particularly her long-suffering partner, Kazuki.

Sakuraba Kazuki:
Rie's father. Despite being unusually tall, Kazuki is a shy and softly-spoken person who spends a good 80% of any conversation apologizing.
Unfortunately, neither his wife nor his daughter take him very seriously, and he gets pushed around a lot by them.
He enjoys cooking, and does the majority of chores at home, given Yukine is too proud to ever get her hands dirty.
He suffers a lot, but he does it with a small smile, which makes one wonder whether he has some masochistic tendencies.

Screenshots:

Credits:
Writing/Programming: Ebi-hime
Sprite art/BG art/GUI: Sillyselly
Music: yuzuki

Notes:
The VN is about 85k long, and has 6 different endings, plus a lot of CGs of delicious food.
There are also GxG elements in the story depending on what choices you pick, but as the main characters are only nine throughout the majority of the story romance is not the main focus of the VN.
If you want, you can watch the trailer here!
Last edited by ebi-hime on Fri May 26, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 12 times in total.
I have a lot of free & commercial VNs available on Steam and itchio.io if you want to check them out! ☆

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

Re: Strawberry Vinegar [Comedy, Slice of life, GxG]

#2 Post by Caveat Lector »

Yay, this looks so adorable! Can't wait! :D
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

ebi-hime
Veteran

#3 Post by ebi-hime »

@ Caveat Lector
Thank you! Neither can I!
All I really have left to do is proof, but that's not the most exciting job in the world, haha n_n;;

Oh, and I managed to find a talented composer in yuzuki~ This is the first time I've hired a composer before, so this is pretty exciting o:
I have a lot of free & commercial VNs available on Steam and itchio.io if you want to check them out! ☆

Shakezula
Regular

#4 Post by Shakezula »

Feed me or I'll reap your soul... Aren't those basically the same thing :mrgreen:

ebi-hime
Veteran

#5 Post by ebi-hime »

Bumping because I included a screenshot of the options menu. The menus in this VN are all themed around food~
As for the writing, it's basically done, and the proofreading is also almost done. I keep adding new scenes here and there, though. The whole script is probably about 85k-ish, I think the finalised version might be a bit (but not much) longer.
Still waiting on some art assets and the music.

ebi-hime
Veteran

#6 Post by ebi-hime »

Bumped to show another screen I've been working on.
Strawberry Vinegar will now keep track of your endings for you, so you'll know how much of the story you've finished!
The image at the left side of the screen will change depending on what ending you just played through.

ebi-hime
Veteran

#7 Post by ebi-hime »

Bumped to show the main menu image. The VN is really close to completion now - all the CGs and GUI is done, it just needs another round of proofreading and some of the music is still being edited. I'm going to estimate that it will be released mid/late January, but I'm not 100% sure at the moment.

somestrangecircus
Regular
Completed: Palette Swap (NaNo 2016)
Projects: Yumi-chan's Wonderful Cake Shop
Organization: Some Strange Circus
Tumblr: somestrangecircus
Deviantart: somestrangecircus

#8 Post by somestrangecircus »

So cuuuuuute. I can't wait!

ebi-hime
Veteran

#9 Post by ebi-hime »

@ somestrangecircus
Thank you! And thank you for your review of Asphyxia, as well!

I also have an announcement to make. The trailer for Strawberry Vinegar is up, and you can view it here (and see how many cute outfits the characters have).
The VN will be available on Steam on the 5th of January, and will be $9.99~

yuzukimasu

#10 Post by yuzukimasu »

chiming in to say that strawberry vinegar is really funny and cute and well worth it, also it has some nice music by someone who shall remain nameless

Leshiy133
Regular
Projects: Love Sorcery, Miracle Fair, Hlidskialf: Odyssey
Organization: When Pigs Fly

#11 Post by Leshiy133 »

Cute loli girls) Awww!

Akitsuki
Veteran
Deviantart: ak-itsuki
Discord: fsalmon#5522

#12 Post by Akitsuki »

Eeeeeehhh it's so cuuutee~~~ I can't wait to try it! And January 5th is so close!!

ebi-hime
Veteran

Re: Strawberry Vinegar [Comedy, Slice of life, GxG, Released

#13 Post by ebi-hime »

And, it is released! Thank you for your patience! You can get it on Steam here, with a 15% discount for the launch week~

telamon

Re: Strawberry Vinegar [Comedy, SoL, GxG, Released]

#14 Post by telamon »

I really like it so far, the writing is pretty funny and the art is cute and fluffy. The wordcount is pretty big as well, considering that it isn't right in front of you like a book would be (which for that amount, it takes me 6-8 hours to read through)

So I was wondering if you could post a walkthrough for how to get the different endings. I already got the first one (which is probably the easiest to get) but with how much there it is to read, I'd like it if I know where I'm heading you know? Mainly to get the 'yuri' ending, and I don't divert from it xD

ebi-hime
Veteran

Re: Strawberry Vinegar [Comedy, SoL, GxG, Released]

#15 Post by ebi-hime »

telamon wrote:I really like it so far, the writing is pretty funny and the art is cute and fluffy. The wordcount is pretty big as well, considering that it isn't right in front of you like a book would be (which for that amount, it takes me 6-8 hours to read through)

So I was wondering if you could post a walkthrough for how to get the different endings. I already got the first one (which is probably the easiest to get) but with how much there it is to read, I'd like it if I know where I'm heading you know? Mainly to get the 'yuri' ending, and I don't divert from it xD
Thank you, I'm glad you're enjoying it! As for a walkthrough... It's something like this.
Ending #1: Keep refusing to let Licia stay with you.
Ending #2: Go to the festival, choose 'I'm not really hungry', then choose 'follow the blond hair of destiny'
Ending #3: Choose 'it's Licia's fault for being so selfish' when prompted
Ending #4: Maybe the hardest one to get. You need to get a decent amount of friendship points with Licia, but then, during the school trip, keep picking options to push her away, and don't make her strawberry cake.
Ending #5: Get a decent number of friendship with Licia, be nice to her during the field trip, when you get the choice say that you like her.
Ending #6: Same as above, but say that you love her.

Note: Your friendship points with Licia will mostly stack based on what food you give her. She likes it if you bake her stuff yourself, and likes it less if you buy her stuff - e.g. the instant pudding. There are some other dialogue options that stack affection points with her, but they're usually obvious (for example, choosing to comfort her when she's sad over ignoring her).

I hope this helps.