Wounded by Words [LD32][Gx?][crisis survival] (new version!)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

Re: Wounded by Words [LD32][Gx?][crisis survival] (trailer u

#16 Post by TsukiShima »

Hello! I've played the game with a friend yesterday night, and I have to say that we love the concept and overall story! The idea was very original and fitting, I am impressed how the title was finally related at the end of the each route. I honestly love the dialogues and monologues the most for this game, as it wasn't bored for us to voice act at all (yes we did that, haha).

The art was clean and net, both for sprites and backgrounds. The GUI was also quite simple for a simple game, it was not too much (like some games, they like to emphasise on blood a lot to suggest gore, which is not in my favor). The main menu made me wonder about the game itself honestly, because it very contrast with the Option and Save / Load menu, but that was good... I guess? However I wonder why you removed the Skip button?
Also, why did Agathe still wore her uniform? Is it simply to show that she was from the army? I found it weird for a retired soldier still walked around with a full uniform, and the others couldn't guess that she was from the army just by her uniform?
The writing is my favourite for this game. Their emotions are really told well without too much bombastic words for a Second Language speaker like myself. The characters each have their own unique speech pattern. That's cool! I can't choose which one one if my favourite ending. They are all just so good!
However, again, I wonder why towards the end of the game, you have option to grab your gun and shot the zombie(?). Is the bad ending left as a metaphor? Because if I am correct, they took her gun, were they careless enough to forget about it? It was the only thing that made me slightly unsatisfied.
The music fits the atmosphere so much. I'm not sure if this game is under the 'gore-ish' category, but some sound effects and music did made me feel the tension.

Congratulation on making this game!
Last edited by TsukiShima on Sun May 29, 2016 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Helianthus
Regular
Completed: Being Beauteous, Ambre, HVNCML, Garden of Oblivion, Wounded by Words
Projects: Chronotopia, Khzi and the Cursed Stone
Organization: Träumendes Mädchen
Tumblr: TraumendesMadchen

#17 Post by Helianthus »

Thanks for playing our little game, TsukiShima :3. I’m sure our various artists will be delighted to know their work is appreciated! I think the game isn’t bloody enough to be considered gore but I did try to use sound effects to set up a bit of tension so I’m glad if it worked!

As for the GUI, we tried something minimalist with only a “Pause menu” and nothing on the textbox. It’s actually the same as the one we used for our other Ludum Dare game (Garden of Oblivion) because I wanted to link them both. But it can indeed be a little confusing... We didn’t show the Skip button but if you press the CTRL key, you can still use it. I guess I’m so used to that short-cut I failed to think other players might not know it :oops: . If it can reassure you, we put that button back in the Android version of Garden of Oblivion (cf screenshots here) and we intend to do the same for the Android version of Wounded by Words!

It was a bit challenging for me to write the story in such a short period, especially since I’m no native speaker either, but I’m relieved to see it didn’t turn out that bad ^^. If you like the characters, perhaps you’d be interested to know I actually wrote some additional content to show their “after story” at the end of each route. It’s not much but I think it brings a more satisfying closure to each story! That version should come up soon as soon as I have the time to take care of it :D

As for your questions…well, you certainly have a point with Agathe’s uniform. In my head, she only retired recently and still likes to wear it, but it’s indeed obvious to the eye that she was in the army. I guess that’s what you get when you’re not writing with the sprites right in front of you, now I feel stupid for letting that mistake pass :oops:

As for the “bad ending”…
well, at this point, what Agathe is seeing is completely distorted so you can’t really rely on her point of view to show you the truth. She could be tearing the gun from someone’s hands for all you know. There’s no zombie in the story either and since you’re trapped with few people, it’s not difficult to guess who she really shot and why it’s a bad idea to use the gun in the first place =’). I admit I had no time to go over the bad ending, that’s why I added a couple of lines in the new version to expand a bit what’s going on. I also wrote an epilogue that reveals something connected to the gun but I’m afraid it’s gonna let you even more unsatisfied :lol:
Anyway, thanks for your comment, it motivates me even more to release the extra content ^__^
TsukiShima wrote:I honestly love the dialogues and monologues the most for this game, as it wasn't bored for us to voice act at all (yes we did that, haha)
Too bad you didn’t record it, I would have loved to listen to that :)

Gladimeir15

#18 Post by Gladimeir15 »

Title alone is already eye catching!!!! The graphics are really awesome... I love it!!!!!. In fact I am already downloading it. The story is worth to finish. It excites me a lot to get in to the end, it makes me holding into my feet since it seems my neurons are releasing too much electric field.....Sorry, I can't help it.... :wink: :wink: :wink:

Helianthus
Regular

#19 Post by Helianthus »

Gladimeir15 wrote:Title alone is already eye catching!!!! The graphics are really awesome... I love it!!!!!. In fact I am already downloading it. The story is worth to finish. It excites me a lot to get in to the end, it makes me holding into my feet since it seems my neurons are releasing too much electric field.....Sorry, I can't help it.... :wink: :wink: :wink:
Wow, if the presentation already makes that much of an impression on you, what will it be with the final game XD. I hope it'll be worth releasing eletricity in the end ;)

Helianthus
Regular

Re: Wounded by Words [LD32][Gx?][crisis survival] (new versi

#20 Post by Helianthus »

Hey there, long time no see! :D

If you remember correctly, after finishing the game for Ludum Dare in May, we decided to make an Extended Version of the game for a convention we were attending during the same summer. That extra content was a hard copy exclusivity up until now but I just decided to release it for free!
So here you go: you can now download Wounded by Words –Extended Version- for free on [url=https://traumendes_madchen.itch.io/wounded-by-words]itchio[/url] and Google Play. It includes an interactive title screen, a longer bad end, after stories for each character, an unlockable epilogue and a bunch of new CGs! All versions contain a French translation as well.

I hope you will like the extra content and, if you haven't played the visual novel yet, now's your chance 8)