Visual Novel too Short?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Mikomi
Veteran

Visual Novel too Short?

#1 Post by Mikomi »

I want some general feedback on a thing that's been bugging me for a while- the short VN I've been working on the past month is nearing completion, but it's only at 8,300~ words right now. I'm projecting it to be around 10,000 when I finish writing it, which begs the question- is 10,000 words too short for a short visual novel?

I don't know of where I can add extra scenes since it is set up on a day-to-day setup where something important happens each day, but I can fit something in if need be. I was just wondering if 10k was way too short for a VN. Also, what do you believe is a good length for a short VN?

Also, please forgive me if this is the wrong forum for this thread ^^;

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: Visual Novel too Short?

#2 Post by trooper6 »

Don't pad your game. Let it be as long or short as the story needs to be. My first game (I'm just waiting on art assets then I can do more progress on it) is 7656 words. And it probably won't get any longer than that.

Tell your story.
Last edited by trooper6 on Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

YonYonYon
Veteran
Projects: Nightflower(Frozen), Reach the Starlight(WIP)

#3 Post by YonYonYon »

If 10k words are enough to tell your story, then it's enough to have only 10k words. Don't add additional scenes just because of padding, add additional scenes if they're really important.
ImageImage

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#4 Post by fleet »

I agree with what trooper6 said, specifically "Let it be as long or short as the story needs to be."
I consider all of my work 'short'. The longest one has a word count of 12000. The shortest had under 2500 words.
For what it's worth, I don't recall anybody ever complaining about the word count on one of my VNs.
Very respectfully,
fleet
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#5 Post by LVUER »

Yes, don't let the word count dictates you. If you think your story is enough... then it's enough. Longer doesn't always means better.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

TuttyTheFruity
Regular
Completed: A!MGIADSFTDOH!, Palinurus, Our Home., Seeds of Sylvia, Last Continue Customization Prototypes
Projects: Citrus Girls
Organization: Watercress Studios
IRC Nick: TuttyTheFruity
Tumblr: therecettearsarereal
Github: TuttyTheFruity

#6 Post by TuttyTheFruity »

There's something to be said about proper pacing in a visual novel and poor pacing anchors an otherwise fantastic VN. Never pad length for the sake of word count (unless you're getting paid by the letter ;) ), just do you!
Check out our Maximum Monster Month submission, Ah! My Girlfriend is a Demon Summoned from the Depths of Hell!

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#7 Post by PyTom »

I'd say don't simply pad for word count, but at the same time, if people download a game and it's overly short, they might be a little disappointed. So it might make sense to see if there are ways to add to the story that aren't simply filler - find a place where the story feels weak, and flesh it out a little.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

SinaAzad
Veteran
IRC Nick: SinaAzad
Deviantart: sinaazad
Soundcloud: Sina_Azad

#8 Post by SinaAzad »

I'd rather read a good-short story than a bad-long story , unless I wanna waste my time !
I am very proud to be a part of this generous, nice and friendly community!
but please, don't go around telling people that their work is somehow off! thats not how critique works!
Mainly a C# Programmer

My drawings:

lamb

#9 Post by lamb »

If you really feel as if it's too shirt to merit a full release/executable, it might be worthwhile to look into hosting it on the web (or allowing it to be played in-browser) or packaging it with another short visual novel(s). I know that I've been annoyed by having to download a game and spending less time playing it than I did waiting around to play it.