War: 13th Day [Dark Fantasy, Psychological, GxB Prelude]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Dreamgazer
Veteran
Completed: Death Room; Don't Take This Risk; War: 13th Day; War Specials
Projects: Beauty and the War (X Playing Pieces)
Organization: Poison Apple Tales
Tumblr: poisonappletales
Deviantart: PoisonAppleTales

War: 13th Day [Dark Fantasy, Psychological, GxB Prelude]

#1 Post by Dreamgazer »

Play it here.
If you're having trouble downloading it, try here.
Length: 1 -3 hours
Rating: 14+ for sexual themes, mild violence, and blood.
Warning:
Nothing explicit is shown, but there is one scene of implied sexual assault on a male. To avoid it, never choose "You sided with your best friend" when given the choice.
STORY
The sun has disappeared from Virgo Island.

Hear the story from an elegant lady or a sassy warrioress. Each has their own version of the events that led to the sun's disappearance. Who is right and who is wrong? Uncover the truth behind your plight. Decide whether their tale ends in romance, heartbreak, or even murder. Learn more about their world and the clans that populate it.

This game serves as the opening act to War (X Playing Pieces), an epic fantasy with optional otome/GxB elements.

UPDATE:
♢ Are you having trouble reaching the True End? Get the official walkthrough here!
♢ The Valentine event mentioned in the extras is now up here.

FEATURES:
♢ 20+ CGs
♢ Animated Sprites
♢ Highly Interactive
♢ Psychological Twists
♢ Whole New Fantasy World

Since it's the opening act, it's a short game, but I poured my heart into every second of it. If you play it, please feel free to share your opinion or any questions you might have. I'm always curious to know what you thought of everything - from your favorite character to the story itself.

I hope you enjoy it! ♥ Have a happy, happy New Year, everyone.
Last edited by Dreamgazer on Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:18 pm, edited 9 times in total.

UsaBerryHime
Regular
Completed: Destiny Voyage
Projects: {Destiny Movie}, [Stolen Destiny
Tumblr: usaberryhime
Deviantart: UsaBerryHime
itch: usaberryhime

Re: War: 13th Day [Dark Fantasy, Psychological, Romance]

#2 Post by UsaBerryHime »

oh my goodness! finished the game and oh wow, is my mind blown. didn't see that coming, but i won't disclose.

i'm slow at these things, so it took me a lot longer than 30 minutes, it was more like all night tbh haha (the ending was difficult to get! for me at least, because i got to the point where i just randomly select anything)

i was literally laughing at some scenes, the character interactions are well written and witty at times :) and then on the flipside, i screamed at some
jump scares, like omg they got me good. im such a scardy cat and i didn't expect any of them. dammit onyx. especially the bed scene with Arsenik and Ambrosia holy lawd I screamed and cursed.

the text was hard to read at times, especially when super imposed on some backgrounds or on the guys' bare chest lol. my only other quarrel was during one scene, i was playing from ambrosia's story and so i assumed that ambrosia was talking in first person, but at one point it was actually wildfire talking. just a minor thing that took me a second to realize lol

i can definitely tell that there was a lot of work put into this game and it pays off. the blinking sprites are a great feature! and the CGs are all unique and surprising. kudos on the completion of this game!:)

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#3 Post by Katta »

That was certainly entertaining) and unexpected) since I expected something closer to the sun question, you know)))
I'm still not sure what was the true course of events but I guess it's intentional)
Wildfire's playthrough of DRR was so short :(, I hope we'll see her again in the next games too, I still like her the best) and I totally share her opinion of Ambrosia)
And I liked that tune that played in her route - it fit the tone of the narration so good)

ludeshka
Veteran
Completed: Hierofanía / Next Door Taker/Rhyme or Reason /Hierofanía 2
Projects: Hierofanía 3 (I swear it's the last one)
Tumblr: sillyraccoonknight
Deviantart: ludeshka
itch: ludeshka

#4 Post by ludeshka »

Downloaded! Will be back with something more meaningful to say later. :)

Dreamgazer
Veteran

#5 Post by Dreamgazer »

Hello, everyone! Thanks for coming by and playing my game.
UsaBerryHime wrote:i can definitely tell that there was a lot of work put into this game and it pays off. the blinking sprites are a great feature! and the CGs are all unique and surprising. kudos on the completion of this game!:)
I appreciate the kind words! And I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. Your feedback has been duly noted and should make a difference for my next game!
Katta wrote:Wildfire's playthrough of DRR was so short :(, I hope we'll see her again in the next games too, I still like her the best) and I totally share her opinion of Ambrosia)
And I liked that tune that played in her route - it fit the tone of the narration so good)
Hello there, Katta! I'm happy to hear you liked it. Don't worry, you'll see Wildfire again. ;) (Also, on a side note, I am thinking of putting up a longer playthrough of DRR, with Wildfire picking up where she last left off. I'll have to see how much free time I have!)
ludeshka wrote:Downloaded! Will be back with something more meaningful to say later. :)
Awesome! I'm looking forward to hearing what you think.

By the way, let me know if anyone would like a walkthrough. It's a short game, so if you get stuck, just make every choice until you reach the True Ending. But if that bothers anyone, I can definitely whip up a quick cheat sheet.

For now, here are some hints:
-In Ambrosia's story, don't forget to make the same choices that she originally did (i.e. accept Arsenik's offer to join you or tell him about the Valkyrie). Prepare to come back and then pick the choices that she originally DIDN'T choose.
-Ambrosia's story is shorter than Wildfire's. If you're getting lost, I recommend making every choice in Ambrosia's tale before going over to Wildfire's.
-In Wildfire's story, you'll come across choices, both of which she is likely to make. Come back twice and choose both of them (i.e. hide Grant's body in the river and then hide it in a room).
-If you see the logo appear in the upper-left corner of the screen, you're making the right choices.
This is a psychological game, so if anyone's confused by anything, just ask! I'll be happy to explain.

lamb

#6 Post by lamb »

I'm having some trouble getting it to run. I'll private message you my issues once I get back to my main machine.

ludeshka
Veteran
Completed: Hierofanía / Next Door Taker/Rhyme or Reason /Hierofanía 2
Projects: Hierofanía 3 (I swear it's the last one)
Tumblr: sillyraccoonknight
Deviantart: ludeshka
itch: ludeshka

#7 Post by ludeshka »

I think this is a very original visual novel.
It makes me not want to say a lot so I won't spoil it!
But, well, I like the mechanism of finding the true ending, and the why of it.
I enjoyed the unreliable narrators. I think Lady Wildfire is an amazing narrator, and this game makes me look forward to your next just so I can meet her again
(and hopefully help her out!)
I also liked very much who the player turns out to be in the end.
The music and sfx were used very well (hilariously, sometimes, when Wildfire narrates how Ambrosia's story "must have gone", for example)
If I had to choose an aspect of this game that needs improvement, it'd be the art.
The character designs are cool, and the anatomy is not bad, but the poses are still a little stiff in my opinion. (when Arsenic and Ambrosia are lying in bed, for example)

All in all, I super recommend this game, it was fun and interesting, and there were several surprises along the way.

Katta
Veteran

#8 Post by Katta »

ludeshka wrote:But, well, I like the mechanism of finding the true ending, and the why of it.
I also liked very much who the player turns out to be in the end.
I feel so stupid now :( I've completed the game too but didn't understand nor the mechanism of finding true route, nor what route was true, nor who you are.

Dreamgazer
Veteran

#9 Post by Dreamgazer »

lamb wrote:I'm having some trouble getting it to run. I'll private message you my issues once I get back to my main machine.
Sure thing! I'll just be on standby then.
ludeshka wrote:All in all, I super recommend this game, it was fun and interesting, and there were several surprises along the way.
Hi, ludeshka! Thanks for the feedback. I'll be sure to keep practicing my art and aim for improvement! I'm glad you had fun with it.
Katta wrote:I feel so stupid now :( I've completed the game too but didn't understand nor the mechanism of finding true route, nor what route was true, nor who you are.
Aww, don't feel that way! As a psychological game, it's bound to be a little bewildering for some. I'll explain under a spoiler tag:
The True Ending was the big reveal at the end. If you finished the game (which I know you have), then you've already reached it. The mechanism for achieving it was to enter a route and guess which choices Ambrosia or Wildfire would have made. (But sometimes, to enter a route, you have to make a choice they wouldn't have originally made.)

In the final scene, Wildfire explains what was true (because each route contains a little bit of the truth). The Trold (Chase's clan), the Hulder (Arsenik's clan), and the Valkyrie (Wildfire and Brooks's clan) all hate each other. So, they tried to burn down the villa to kill King Barium and Prince Alexandrite of the Vi clan. However, the king and the prince survived. The prince keeps taking fiancées, who all keep mysteriously dying. He only chooses the most beautiful women. Now, there might be more that was indeed true, but the ones I mentioned were confirmed in-game.

Wildfire's last line before the game ends reveals who you are. Rather, it reveals what you did to her but not who you are. I scattered hints of who you are throughout the game. Specifically, it's how Ambrosia and Wildfire react to you and the wording of your choices.
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Katta
Veteran

#10 Post by Katta »

So what's the logic when to choose what you think they did and when not?
Onyx then? I only had an idea that you're someone from the cast after reading the thread (I specifically thought at Barium, because he was mentioned to date both ladies and because he was said to be missing), but I guess all in-game hints were wasted on me(
That's pretty cool though, I like it when the game has more depth (that I can only get from playthroughs and the like :lol:)

Dreamgazer
Veteran

#11 Post by Dreamgazer »

Katta wrote:
So what's the logic when to choose what you think they did and when not?
Onyx then? I only had an idea that you're someone from the cast after reading the thread (I specifically thought at Barium, because he was mentioned to date both ladies and because he was said to be missing), but I guess all in-game hints were wasted on me(
That's pretty cool though, I like it when the game has more depth (that I can only get from playthroughs and the like :lol:)
Basically, when you're trying to get onto a particular character's route, make the choice that you think will push them towards someone else. For instance, when Arsenik offers to join Ambrosia, rejecting him will distance her from him and open up Chase's route. To break it down further:

Ambrosia's Side
♢ Ambrosia has 1 ending with Night, 2 with Arsenik, and 2 with Chase. (There's also 1 with Barium, but you don't need to get it to unlock the True End.)
♢ When you start off, think of it this way. You have to reverse the choices she originally made with the right ones (i.e. "Stop the fight" or "You didn't want it"). Afterwards, reject Arsenik's offer and you're already on Chase's path.
Wildfire's Side
♢ Wildfire has 3 endings with Chase, 3 with Brooks, and 1 with Barium. (She also has a number of others that aren't necessary for the True End.)
♢ When it comes to murdering Grant, Wildfire is equally likely to hide his body in the river and in a random room. So, you have to explore both paths, which will help you obtain 2 of Chase's endings.
♢ You get on Barium's route by agreeing to play the decoy.
♢ Brooks's endings are split between helping her rescue the Trold and staying out of it.
Now, this is the logic behind it. The goal is to uncover the truth. You can only find it out by exploring their relationships with the others. Here are some things to note:
♢ The sun is a metaphor for Wildfire's life. Wildfire trying to bring back the sun means she's trying to bring back her life. It's also a reference to this poem.
♢ The chest is a mild allusion to Pandora's Box. It holds the "truth."
♢ You're seeing the game through Wildfire's eyes. And she is incredibly biased. Her view of the other characters may or may not be accurate.
♢ The whole game is taking place in a world constructed by Wildfire's subconscious psyche. It's also happening in the course of a second.
♢ The number of endings needed for the True End is directly related to Wildfire's feelings. She has 3 endings with Chase and Brooks because she can't decide between them. She has 1 ending with Barium because she only wants to bed him. Ambrosia sees Arsenik a whole lot because Wildfire has the hots for him. Despite her denials, Wildfire really likes him. Wildfire is jealous because she thinks Ambrosia's life is practically perfect and because Arsenik shows interest in her.

As for what character you're playing...well, those are good guesses, but the answer will be revealed in Ambrosia's story. ;) (But keep in mind that the one ending where Ambrosia becomes Barium's mistress is declared false by Wildfire and Ambrosia in War: 13th Day.) However, the biggest hints to your identity is when you get to ask Ambrosia and/or Wildfire questions.
Hope that helped clear things up!

Dreamgazer
Veteran

#12 Post by Dreamgazer »

For anyone having trouble with the download, I now have it up on a mirror site right here.

Ooh, also, the details of my Valentine event (and Ambrosia's story) is released here. Hope to hear from y'all!

sakurakimuchi
Regular

Re: War: 13th Day [Dark Fantasy, Psychological, GxB Prelude]

#13 Post by sakurakimuchi »

I enjoyed Death Room and Ambrosia was such a nice character so of course I'll play this! Even if there's no Dev in it. :P haha

Dreamgazer
Veteran

#14 Post by Dreamgazer »

sakurakimuchi wrote:I enjoyed Death Room and Ambrosia was such a nice character so of course I'll play this! Even if there's no Dev in it. :P haha
Hello, sakurakimuchi! Hopefully, you'll enjoy this just as much as my last game. Looking forward to hearing what you think about War: 13th Day!

sakurakimuchi
Regular

#15 Post by sakurakimuchi »

I'm having trouble with the endings tho, so if you could post a guide for it that would be useful af.