Mysterious Melody[mystery][romance][NO MINIGAME VERS OUT!]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Starlight Dreamers, Mysterious Melody, Town of Memories, Marked, To Fly, The Change, Him From The Past, A Forgotten Memory
Projects: Cafe Mysteria

Mysterious Melody[mystery][romance][NO MINIGAME VERS OUT!]

#1 Post by AsHLeX »

Version with no minigames can be found here!
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ko8fr ... es-all.zip
Also increased the font size for the smaller fonts to make it easier to read. ^_^

Mysterious Melody

Truth - What is real and what is false?
Mystery - Who exactly is the boy behind this facade?
Friendship - Just how far can we go when insanity lies on the brink?
Music - Does it conquer all? Even the heartbreak of love?
Update! Game Guide:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/re0468dim93olpe/Guide.pdf
(There's a slight error though: it doesn't matter what pasta flavour you choose. It doesn't have to be bolognese.)

Meet Ryla, a girl who is in love with the world of music and wishes to go to the Alexander Academy For Gifted Musicians but ends up stuck in a local school against her wishes, due to her father refusing to let his beloved daughter study away from home.
Meet Scarlett, the president of the music club who is a little eccentric and creepy at times. Plus she has a brother complex that can cause her to become a borderline lunatic.
Meet Melody, a mysterious boy whom Ryla found one day in the piano room. His past is unknown and so is his age. Just who is Melody? Is he just a hardcore delinquent? Or is there more to the story.
You play as Ryla in your quest for romance and to find out the truth in the greatest adventure of all. Will your achieve your dreams? Or will your be carried away by the current that is fate.
Your life is in your hands - shape it into a future that will become yours.

Features:
4 + 1 (different expression) CG's
Original Character Art
20k words
4 Endings, 1 Main Ending
6 Mini-Games
A quest to uncover the mystery that surrounds you~

Characters

Ryla
Ryla.png
A girl who is just absolutely in love with music. Ah, and someone who always oversleeps. Always. Need I say more? :P
Melody
Melody_neutral.png
What is his name? What is his past? Why doesn't he go to class? Just who is this mysterious person?
Scarlett
She's a little loony though...I wouldn't disturb her if I were you.
normal.png
The president of the only music club in the school. Generally gives Ryla the creeps.
Master
Master.png
A pretty friendly middle-aged man that's in charge of the arcade in town.
The Information Broker
Broker_hide.png
Not much is known about this mysterious man who never shows his face. His house is located in a shady part of town, but the information that he gives is always true. Well... for an extravagant price, that is.
Sample CG
CG1.png
Screenshots
screenshot0001.png
Malaysian/Singaporean reference? :D
screenshot0002.png
screenshot0003.png
screenshot0004.png
I started working on this game in 2014. The birth of this game was inspired by the fact that I wanted to join the music club in my college but decided against it because I wanted to focus on my studies. So what did I do? Make a visual novel out of it... right, because that's so logical. *rolls eyes*
Anyway, I generally finished the plot pretty fast, but I went on hiatus for a bit after my previous artist quit.
After awhile, I got into contact with MelowBee and she agreed to draw the sprites and the CG's for me and that's how the ball got rolling. So anyway, thank you for MelowBee for the wonderful sprites and to the rest of the lemmasoft community for your help!
2 years later it's finally finished!! :D

I wonder if anyone can get the "true" ending, the longest ending in the game. (It's like almost 1.7x the length of the shortest ending in the game.) And no, you don't need to "complete" any other endings to get the true ending - you just need to make the right choices.
Oh and remember, you loveeeeeeee to play the guitar. :D
I hope you guys enjoy this game! Please give it a try and tell me your thoughts about it! :D

Now for the download links:
Win: http://www.mediafire.com/download/77szc ... dy-win.zip
Lin: http://www.mediafire.com/download/grcla ... ux.tar.bz2
Mac: http://www.mediafire.com/download/c66mx ... dy-mac.zip
There's a minor typo error. Instead of "I wouldn't disturb her if I were you." it's "I wouldn't disturb here if I were you." Sorry for the trouble. Just ignore it if possible. I would change it but since it took me 5 hours to upload all the files I don't really wanna do that again for a minor error. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Last edited by AsHLeX on Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
New demo out 24/12/23!!

versect

Re: Mysterious Melody[mystery][romance][music][vn]

#2 Post by versect »

The text is really tiny at times:(
I'm kinda stuck because of it
Could you tell me what you are supposed to answer when Melody says Nothing is impossible..How nice if that were true?
As for the games itself, it has been marvellous so far. Great job!

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Starlight Dreamers, Mysterious Melody, Town of Memories, Marked, To Fly, The Change, Him From The Past, A Forgotten Memory

#3 Post by AsHLeX »

Sorry about that!!! >/////<
Let's see... If I'm not mistaken, you should answer anything that contains the words "something" and "wrong".
Thanks for the compliments!
Hmm if the tiny text is a big issue, I think I should be able to put together a list of all the times when the text gets really tiny and what they're saying. ^^"
Sorry for the inconvenience!!! Q.Q
Oh and by the way, the part where they ask you where the performance is located, the answer is theatre.
The tiny text says something like "hint: it starts with t and ends with e"
And if you happen to reach the part as to what pasta to order, among the choices are "checca" and "arrabiata".
Ah and the part where he asks you if you like fish you can say " yes/no" (or certain variations of yes/no like "yeah" or "nope")
Ah and the parts where you have to key in a answer using a soft keyboard it goes from a-->z if the letters are too hard to read.
By the way, I'll just put a quick guide on how to get the "True End" here.
Basically you need to answer "guitar" when Melody asks you what instrument do you play.
You need to pick up the mp3 in the classroom on your first choice.
You have to always play a song when the option to play the mp3 comes up. (Doesn't matter what song) (Don't miss the part in the train/in the the theatre)
Make sure you check your mail so that you can activate the date event with Melody.
When replying to Scarlett, agree to work together with her to uncover the truth. Also reply to her emails with useful information. (eg. Don't say "I found out that Melody is a music lover like I am!")
When you go to the theatre, at the map place there, go to the place labelled "???" In around the crossroad at the bottom left corner. (Just hover your mouse around till the button appears)
Make sure you win all the mini games.

Hmm if I'm not mistaken I think that's all for now. You know you're locked onto the "True route" when you go to Scarlett's house and you get the option to play or don't play the mp3. (Choosing one fixes you on the True end while the other is a bad end)
New demo out 24/12/23!!

VocaloidsRCool
Veteran

#4 Post by VocaloidsRCool »

This is a good game, but I can never win that first mini game. I think it's just because I'm not good at games like that.

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by AsHLeX »

Eh!!! Thanks for the compliments and thanks for trying it!
Uhm if I'm not mistaken the first mini game was the numbers one right?
Sorry if I made it too hard!!! Q.Q
It's Uno(?), Duo, tres, Quattour, quinque, sex, septem, octo, novem, decem.
Ah but you probably already know that. Maybe it'll help if you wrote the sequence somewhere like in notepad and open the game window and notepad at once?
If you really can't pass it then maybe I'll upload a version with a longer time limit or a skip option? Keep me updated whether u can or can't pass it, k? :D
I want to let you finish the game if possible. I didn't mean to make the mini games too much of a hindrance >////<

P.s: I remember you from cafe Mysteria!!! Thanks for your support :D it really means a lot to me.
New demo out 24/12/23!!

versect

#6 Post by versect »

Actually, the minigames aren't that hard) *at least not all*
It's really nice that you included them in your game as I think I have rarely come across mini games in these types of games so it was an enjoyable experience!
I know I have already said that but really the game is fantastic!)
And btw
I have achieved all the endings expect for the true one. Sorry for being such a pain in the neck but I am stuck again *Yes, I am really dumb x(*. To be more exact I am stuck with the piano minigame
Could you help?

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by AsHLeX »

Ah, a couple of my friends couldn't get that one either.
I've uploaded a picture to guide you on how to read the music sheet below.
Hints for the first piano puzzle:
1. One "bar" = 1 word
A "bar" means the space between two lines.
2. One note = 1 letter
In case you don't know, a note refers to those things that look like "d" or "p" on the music sheet.
Each note transcribes to a letter, but it can transcribe to more than one letter, since there are only 7 music notes but 26 alphabets in the English Language.
Example:

Music note: A B C D E F G
Letter: A B C D E F G
H I J K L M N
O P Q R S T U
V W X Y Z
Meaning that in this case, "A" in the music sheet can mean "A or H or O or V" in the English alphabets.

Just put a space between each word when you type it out.
The answer:
why did i have to die
Hint for piano puzzle 2:
It's relatively easy. Each black key on the piano corresponds to an alphabet. It goes from left to right. Meaning the first black key from the left = A, the second black key = B and so on.
Just key in the answer from piano puzzle 1 (without the spaces), so in this case it'll be "whydidihavetodie".
And tada~~
Did you reach the part where the information broker starts asking you questions? ^^ If you need the answers for that just ask, because sometimes it might be pretty vague.
Btw, the answers for one of the questions is "flower/flowers". NOT the "name" of the flower, eg. "Lily" and so on.
Just putting it out there because one of my friends went on a guessing spree naming all of the flowers that she could think of. >o< Sorry if I didn't make it clear enough.
Attachments
Note Reading Guide.png
Note Reading Guide.png (76.33 KiB) Viewed 11088 times
New demo out 24/12/23!!

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by AsHLeX »

Ah! It seems that I phrased a question improperly.
It should be:
Broker: Ahh...nervous breakdown. Does Melody's sister play any kind of musical instrument? If so, what kind of instrument does she play?
(You should name the instrument here, not give a yes/no answer)
Instead of:
Broker: Ahh...nervous breakdown. Does Melody's sister play any kind of musical instrument?
Sorry for the trouble!!

Edit:
I spotted another error! It should be "Melody", not "Scarlett".
Broker: Are you sure that this Bark is a friend of Scarlett? Or is he a rival to him?
Sorry for the trouble!!! Q.Q

2nd Edit:
Answers to the broker's questions:
Info: Ashton

So you call him by the name Melody...Who calls him 'Ashton' then?
master

What is his relationship with Ashton?
child

He calls Ashton his child?What about friends? Does Ashton have any? Who is it?
bark

Are you sure that this Bark is a friend of Scarlett? Or is he a rival to him?
rival

Info: Northen Highlands

I remember you telling me something about this place.Could you give me the exact name of the place?
kellogg

Could you describe it a little more for me? Like what type of plants grow there?
flower/flowers/sakura/cherry blossoms

Flowers, huh. It seems a nice place to go on a date.How did your friend Melody react during the date?
scared/frightened/fearful

Info: Melody's Sister

First off, do you know her name?
no

What do you know about her? Like where she comes from?
italy

Does Melody's sister play any kind of musical instrument?
guitar

The Last Day

There are three named songs in the mp3. What is the name of any one of them?
lonely spirit/gentle wind/my dear melody

What is the mood of the songs on the mp3 like? Do they sound sad? Or happy and joyful?
sad

How many songs are there altogether in the mp3?
eleven

What instrument is most of the music tracks played in?
piano

What is the colour of the mp3? Red, black, blue, green or white?
red

Is there anything mysterious about the mp3? Yes or no?
yes

What is so mysterious about it?
songs appearing

What is the name of this mp3?
ghost radio
(It's written in the email from Ryla's dad)

Who named this mp3?
father/dad/colleague/dad friend/dad colleague

Where did you find this mp3?
classroom/empty room/school

What mood was the last song played in? Was it peaceful? Joyful? Angry? Happy?
peaceful

Who do you think the owner of this mp3 is?
melody
New demo out 24/12/23!!

VocaloidsRCool
Veteran

#9 Post by VocaloidsRCool »

AsHLeX wrote:Eh!!! Thanks for the compliments and thanks for trying it!
Uhm if I'm not mistaken the first mini game was the numbers one right?
Sorry if I made it too hard!!! Q.Q
It's Uno(?), Duo, tres, Quattour, quinque, sex, septem, octo, novem, decem.
Ah but you probably already know that. Maybe it'll help if you wrote the sequence somewhere like in notepad and open the game window and notepad at once?
If you really can't pass it then maybe I'll upload a version with a longer time limit or a skip option? Keep me updated whether u can or can't pass it, k? :D
I want to let you finish the game if possible. I didn't mean to make the mini games too much of a hindrance >////<

P.s: I remember you from cafe Mysteria!!! Thanks for your support :D it really means a lot to me.
The mini game that I am talking about is the one with pictures, and you have to click them in order of the alphabet. A skip option would be great. Sorry if it seems that I'm whining. Some people like mini games that are challenging, but that's not my thing. My life is challenging enough, and so I like games that are more fun to help me escape from it for awhile. But your game really is great. Thank you for making it!

Rainbow Colors
Regular
Projects: Come Here Often?

#10 Post by Rainbow Colors »

I don't like mini games at all, and when one frustrates me I tend to drop the game (leaving a pile of unfinished games that I should probably get back to). And though the mini games here were a bit frustrating, particularly the alphabet-picture one which took me ~5 retries, I wanted to see it through the end, I guess. So, uh, kudos for that yay~

anyway
jesus christ Broker do you eat goddamn money for breakfast? What do you even do with that money when you don't seem to be part of this world.
I bet your name(alias?) doesn't even come from the fact that you deal with information but rather it comes from the fact that you render people broke :U
But if you're creating another game, I'm sort of looking forward to him appearing again XD

~targetting every otome game at the speed of sound
(because if I did it at the speed of light, I'd be time travelling)

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by AsHLeX »

@VocaloidsRCool:
Ah that one... Did you manage to pass it so far? D:
If you haven't, maybe I could release a version of Mysterious Melody without the mini-games or something... I really want people to enjoy the game without getting turned off by the mini-games... So if you can't pass that one, do get back to me ^^ I'll see what I can do about it.
(And don't worry, you aren't the only one who dislikes the mini games >o< Maybe I really should release a version without the mini-games...)

@Rainbow Colors:
Aww thank you so much for seeing it through the end!!! :D I'm so happy that you took the trouble of playing the mini games although you didn't like it... Thank you!
Hahaha that's a nice way to see broker's name. I didn't think about that. Ah, I was actually thinking about making a spin off focusing on the broker and all that but I kinda scrapped that since I'm too lazy ://kicks self. Glad to know that someone's interested in that character xD He's really kinda an a**hole though I guess? Q_Q Based on how he treated Ryla in Mysterious Melody lol.
New demo out 24/12/23!!

VocaloidsRCool
Veteran

#12 Post by VocaloidsRCool »

I'm playing it again now that I have time, but maybe you could release a version with no mini games, not just for me, but for any other players who have a hard time with them. Only if you want to. It is your game and you should do what you want to it. If leaving it as it is would be easier for you, you don't have to change it.

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Mysterious Melody[mystery][romance][NO MINIGAME VERS OUT

#13 Post by AsHLeX »

@VocaloidsRCool:
Sorry for the late update!
It's late but here's a version with no tiny text (or at least larger tiny text) and no mini-games! Yay! (Mini-games are won by default so you can get the True end) ^^
Link:
New demo out 24/12/23!!

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#14 Post by Ran08 »

Omg, I really love the idea of this. <3 I'm not sure about the minigames as I'm not a huge fan of them, but I'm glad to see that there's a no minigames version, at least. Man, I really wish I could play this right now. Hahaha. Anyway, I would just like to say congratulations on the release! <3 (And that I am posting here to keep it "bookmarked" for the future, once I get a new laptop, hahaha.)

VocaloidsRCool
Veteran

#15 Post by VocaloidsRCool »

AsHLeX wrote:@VocaloidsRCool:
Sorry for the late update!
It's late but here's a version with no tiny text (or at least larger tiny text) and no mini-games! Yay! (Mini-games are won by default so you can get the True end) ^^
Link:
Thank you for making one without mini games~ I got the true end, and it was amazing!