Strawberry Vinegar [Comedy, SoL, GxG-ish, Commercial]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ebi-hime
Veteran
Completed: Asphyxia, Blackberry Honey, The Language of Love, etc
Tumblr: ebi-hime
itch: ebihime

Strawberry Vinegar [Comedy, SoL, GxG-ish, Commercial]

#1 Post by ebi-hime »

Download:
The VN costs $9.99, and is available on Steam and itch.io for winds/mac/linux!

Plot synopsis:
"Feed me, or I'll reap your soul!"
And with those ridiculous words, my whole life was turned upside down.

Sakuraba Rie, aged nine, is a cynical and grumpy girl who cares little for her fellow classmates, and does not have a single friend.
That is, until a self-proclaimed demon from the deepest, darkest pits of Hell suddenly appears in Rie's kitchen and steals a tray of cookies.
What will happen between these two young girls? Will friendship blossom between them, or perhaps something more?
That is up to the reader to decide - but rest assured, no matter what, there will lots and lots of delicious food!

Characters:

Sakuraba Rie:
The heroine of the story. An intelligent girl who speaks with an eloquence uncommon to most nine year olds.
She doesn't particularly like people, and is happiest when left to her own devices.
Naturally, she has perfect grades. She would be an ideal student, were her dislike/distrust of her peers not so eminent.

Licia Dia Ivlis:
The young demon girl who appears in Rie's kitchen. Despite being from Hell, Licia is a cheerful girl who always seems to be smiling.
She has no qualms about keeping her identity secret, and blathers about her status as a demon to anybody who will listen.
Conveniently, nobody other than Rie seems to find this at all suspicious.

Shirakawa Yukine:
Rie's mother, though she doesn't have the same family name as her daughter. She's a semi-famous actress.
She has a fondness for fine fashion, and owns a truly disgusting amount of clothes and shoes.
Her greatness fondness in life appears to be making others squirm, and she likes teasing people - particularly her long-suffering partner, Kazuki.

Sakuraba Kazuki:
Rie's father. Despite being unusually tall, Kazuki is a shy and softly-spoken person who spends a good 80% of any conversation apologizing.
Unfortunately, neither his wife nor his daughter take him very seriously, and he gets pushed around a lot by them.
He enjoys cooking, and does the majority of chores at home, given Yukine is too proud to ever get her hands dirty.
He suffers a lot, but he does it with a small smile, which makes one wonder whether he has some masochistic tendencies.

Screenshots:

Credits:
Writing/Programming: Ebi-hime
Sprite art/BG art/GUI: Sillyselly
Music: yuzuki

Notes:
The VN is about 85k long, and has 6 different endings, plus a lot of CGs of delicious food.
There are also GxG elements in the story depending on what choices you pick, but as the main characters are only nine throughout the majority of the story romance is not the main focus of the VN.
If you want, you can watch the trailer here!
Last edited by ebi-hime on Fri May 26, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I have a lot of free & commercial VNs available on Steam and itchio.io if you want to check them out! ☆

somestrangecircus
Regular
Completed: Palette Swap (NaNo 2016)
Projects: Yumi-chan's Wonderful Cake Shop
Organization: Some Strange Circus
Tumblr: somestrangecircus
Deviantart: somestrangecircus

Re: Strawberry Vinegar [Comedy, SoL, GxG-ish, Commercial]

#2 Post by somestrangecircus »

ebi-hime
Veteran

#3 Post by ebi-hime »

somestrangecircus wrote:Nice job! :)

Did a review here:

http://somestrangecircus.blogspot.com/2 ... negar.html
Thank you! I'm glad you liked it!
I feel kind of sorry for Dad-chan too haha XD; Everybody is so mean to him. Selly just drew so many adorable crying emotes for him I thought it would be a shame if I couldn't put them to good use u_u
I have a lot of free & commercial VNs available on Steam and itchio.io if you want to check them out! ☆

ebi-hime
Veteran

#4 Post by ebi-hime »

Added a new place to DL the VN. If you're not a fan of Steam, you can also get it on itch.io here~
I'm not going to update the price of the VN on itch.io to reflect any sales it might go on on Steam, though - the price is going to be fixed as $9.99 there. I hope nobody minds.

caebee
Tumblr: celinthe

#5 Post by caebee »

I ended up purchasing this game on a whim on Steam. The art really drew me in, as I love the lolita fashion influence in some of the clothing.

The whole game was wonderfully made. You all did a fantastic job. I'm very glad I ended up buying it. I've only played through it once but I'm excited to see all the different choices (and food!) I can find in the game.

ebi-hime
Veteran

#6 Post by ebi-hime »

@ caebee
Yeah, Selly's art is so pretty... And her outfit designs are super cute, too >w<
Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it! I tried to structure the choices so there's enough material in the game to make running through for the different endings interesting, since there's a quite a bit of scene variation - around all the food choices, at least.

ebi-hime
Veteran

#7 Post by ebi-hime »

bumping to say I released a new build of this VN with some edited/updated art (mostly the backgrounds, but a few CGs as well)
the update is available on Steam and itch.io